• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I can probably get over it as long as the gameplay is enjoyable. The combat looks like the best element so far. I'm not totally sold on the extensive platforming I'm seeing in the stream though. I think Sekiro had an ideal mix of action and traversal.

Maybe the streamer is just on a traversal oriented planet. If every area is a 70/30 or 60/40 mix of environment stuff and combat, count me out.

I noticed some animation oddities throughout the stream so far. One time when Cal landed he glitched on the ground, like a fast slide. Sometimes in combat, when he's close to enemies, he goes into a standing animation in the air. The game definitely has polish issues and I hope they can be ironed out.

It's not a dealbreaker for me, but obviously it would be better if the game was well polished.
I hope they can find fun ways of combining the platforming stuff with combat. Sekiro had some surprisingly excellent combat setpieces taking advantage of the traversal mechanics. Storming the Gun Fort was insane.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This all on the Pro/X in performance mode? Need details and context. That top one looks awful.
Base PS4 if I'm not mistaken.
I noticed some animation oddities throughout the stream so far. One time when Cal landed he glitched on the ground, like a fast slide. Sometimes in combat, when he's close to enemies, he goes into a standing animation in the air. The game definitely has polish issues and I hope they can be ironed out.

It's not a dealbreaker for me, but obviously it would be better if the game was well polished.
Yea, these stuff aren't anything big that can't be fixed with some patches.

What has me a bit worried is the fact that even when animations do work as intended, seems like there isn't a good flow to Cal going back to his default stance. Like the gif that was posted above from EA's official twitter account, Cal snaps back to his default stance after finishing his attacks in a sudden and jarring way.

Compare that to a game like Sekiro where every animation flows almost flawlessly together and you'll see how jarring Jedi's sudden transition between animations are in some cases.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they can find fun ways of combining the platforming stuff with combat. Sekiro had some surprisingly excellent combat setpieces taking advantage of the traversal mechanics. Storming the Gun Fort was insane.
Yeah, the Gun Fort was crazy.

I liked how Sekiro's environments were populated. You could grapple all over the place and avoid battles, but if you wanted a fight, you could usually find one within 30 seconds. I'm just now realizing how well Sekiro's levels were tailored to the gameplay mechanics.

Base PS4 if I'm not mistaken.

Yea, these stuff aren't anything big that can't be fixed with some patches.

What has me a bit worried is the fact that even when animations do work as intended, seems like there isn't a good flow to Cal going back to his default stance. Like the gif that was posted above from EA's official twitter account, Cal snaps back to his default stance after finishing his attacks in a sudden and jarring way.

Compare that to a game like Sekiro where every animation flows almost flawlessly together and you'll see how jarring Jedi's sudden transition between animations are in some cases.
All of that is noticeable for sure. I feel spoiled by the likes of Sekiro and Automata.

Had to hit that holiday release date, polish be damned.
Apparently so. :(

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Gun Fort was crazy.

I liked how Sekiro's environments were populated. You could grapple all over the place and avoid battles, but if you wanted a fight, you could usually find one within 30 seconds. I'm just now realizing how well Sekiro's levels were tailored to the gameplay mechanics.

All of that is noticeable for sure. I feel spoiled by the likes of Sekiro and Automata.

Apparently so. :(
True. And hell, even if you're intentionally avoiding fights, you'll likely run into a boss or miniboss that will lock you into a fight in 30 seconds.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I swear that if some games aren't perfect for some people, it's instantly awful. I remember the complaints that reviewers didn't use the full range between 0 to 10, but the sentiment here also feels like it should be perfect or nothing. Maybe a game can still be good? Great? Maybe there are flaws, or more focus and development on some areas than others?

I don't know, I'm just gonna enjoy it on Friday.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I swear that if some games aren't perfect for some people, it's instantly awful. I remember the complaints that reviewers didn't use the full range between 0 to 10, but the sentiment here also feels like it should be perfect or nothing. Maybe a game can still be good? Great? Maybe there are flaws, or more focus and development on some areas than others?

Nobody here has said it's awful? Why be hyperbolic

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think anyone here said that it's awful or that it won't be good.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Also they did say they prioritize responsive controls over animations which is why the animations aren't that crisp.
Those two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive tho. You can have flowed animations and responsive controls at the same time.

I think Respawn could've gotten there if they had a bit more time tbh.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The character models really look hideous in this game.

debrawilson.jpg

starwars_cere.png

DK6tme1XkAADVoh.jpg

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's no Death Stranding, that's for sure!

No need to look that far. :p *
Qw5TR9w.png

lgPqCb0.png

EcdQXoE.png

4T9JGQf.png

You just compared a way less compressed image of a CG model with an incredibly low res screenshot of a realtime model.

K.

latest

gracewalker1.jpg

wolfenstein-youngblood-voice-actors-grace-walker-debra-wilson.jpg

There isn't a single instance of her looking good in Fallen Order. There are multiple instances of her looking good in Wolfenstein. And of course she looks great in real life.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Loll! I legit thought it was that Disney game..infinity I think?

Anyways it's too late, my pre order is locked in. (I never pre-order normally, but happened to trade in some stuff)

That third gif is from this game? I was staring at it for the longest time. It looks like a ps2 game

In the game's defense, the 3rd gif is from "tutorial flashbacks" where he's like a kid, they clearly did not spend much time on these segments. (probably just copy pasted the adult mocap on it which is why it looks jank)

His adult state is mostly fine from what I saw. Just snapping a bit.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Those two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive tho. You can have flowed animations and responsive controls at the same time.

I think Respawn could've gotten there if they had a bit more time tbh.

I said it earlier but the focus of these 2 games is entirely different. Tho I love DMCV and Sekiro a lot they both have great animations. Respawn has worked 4 years on this so lets not start saying they rushed it out for holiday just yet

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Qw5TR9w.png

lgPqCb0.png

EcdQXoE.png

4T9JGQf.png

K.

latest

gracewalker1.jpg

There isn't a single instance of her looking good in Fallen Order. There are multiple instances of her looking good in Wolfenstein. And of course she looks great in real life.

Yeah Machine Games are technical wizards and thats all there is to it. This is the first game of Stig with UE 4

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
In the game's defense, the 3rd gif is from "tutorial flashbacks" where he's like a kid, they clearly did not spend much time on these segments. (probably just copy pasted the adult mocap on it which is why it looks jank)

His adult state is mostly fine from what I saw. Just snapping a bit.

Lol I really am not bothered by these little things. At the end of the day, it's about "the feel" of the game. If I'm having a good time , that's all that matters. Perfect animations be damned lol.

For example: thay Sunhilegend clip made it look so epic.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Qw5TR9w.png

lgPqCb0.png

EcdQXoE.png

4T9JGQf.png

K.

latest

gracewalker1.jpg

There isn't a single instance of her looking good in Fallen Order.
After peaking a few streams that's most definitely not true. Also something to note, Wolfenstein has pre-rendered cinematics. And again, you're posting incredibly compressed images from discord no less and comparing them to higher res images to prove your point. Like, imagine thinking the models in BF2 look better than the ones in this game.
star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-screen-01-ps4-us-08oct19

Last edited:

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I honestly don't think the characters look bad. I think its just the artstyle is supposed to be closer to the Clone Wars or Rebel series rather than hyper realistic like BF2 character models. Either way they look fine to me

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
After peaking a few streams that's most definitely not true. Also something to note, Wolfenstein has pre-rendered cinematics. And again, you're posting incredibly compressed images from discord no less and comparing them to higher res images to prove your point. Like, imagine thinking the models in BF2 look better than the ones in this game based on the footage we've seen.

I have also looked at early streams and I fully disagree with you.

I stand by what I said. But feel free to show me where she looks great in the game.

I honestly don't think the characters look bad. I think its just the artstyle is supposed to be closer to the Clone Wars or Rebel series rather than hyper realistic like BF2 character models. Either way they look fine to me

I'd say it's the opposite, BF2 stylized its model more and this is more trying to be 1:1, but IMO something is a bit off and it exacerbates the actor's flaws.
I also don't like how Cameron looks in the game.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I have also looked at early streams and I fully disagree with you.

I stand by what I said. But feel free to show me where she looks great in the game.
I just did. This game has way better skin shading and lighting than BF2 when it comes to character model quality. Animation being way better in fallen order pretty much a given based on the MP vs SP. Ofc they don't look as good as the BF2 SP models in cinematics, (not many things do), but again, that's a bit of unfair comparison as we're talking pre-rendered vs. real time. Cal is clearly the highlight when it comes to detail. Frankly you're not even describing anything wrong with the models.
-skin shading
-eye shading
-lighting
-polycount
-texture quality
-animation quality
etc.
c
What specifically are you taking issue with on a technical level? Cause frankly based on your phrasing it sounds like your issue is that she doesn't look traditionally attractive enough.

Last edited:

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I will be enjoying what should be a very fun Star Wars game with some awesome lightsaber gameplay on Friday, while apparently some in this thread will be worried about character models I guess :) Give me some sick gameplay all day and every day over just graphics with lesser gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.