• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Really really fun and duels with more powerful enemies do feel like a challenge, if you don't parry or you run out of stamina you can get rinsed pretty quick

Wait there's a stamina system for combat? That's disappointing and first I hear of it, hope it doesn't ruin the flow of combat and limit options in a tedious way. Not a fan of the bonfire enemy respawn system either, don't see how it fits the setting.

All in all it sounds neat enough and seems to show that the way the game has been shown and marketed so far has been pretty poor at representing the more interesting aspects of the game

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Wait there's a stamina system for combat? That's disappointing and first I hear of it, hope it doesn't ruin the flow of combat and limit options in a tedious way. Not a fan of the bonfire enemy respawn system either, don't see how it fits the setting.

All in all it sounds neat enough and seems to show that the way the game has been shown and marketed so far has been pretty poor at representing the more interesting aspects of the game

The stamina meter is for blocking. You can move around as much as you please. And I imagine the respawning enemies are there in case you wanna lvl up and grind out an area

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Damn if it wasn't for the main character's design looking like the blandest protagonist ever I would be very excited.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like kind of game that will flood local game shops in a week or two after launch. Glad the impressions are decent, I was kinda iffy from inital trailers but seems it is a nice game.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018

There is only a stamina system for blocking. You can attack as much as you want.

Well Force abilites have a force meter that refills from attacking im pretty sure

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
There is only a stamina system for blocking. You can attack as much as you want.

Well Force abilites have a force meter that refills from attacking im pretty sure

The stamina meter is for blocking. You can move around as much as you please. And I imagine the respawning enemies are there in case you wanna lvl up and grind out an area

Ah okay if it's just a Block Meter so you don't turtle then I'm okay with it. I assume perfect Blocking doesn't deplete it either, and there's likely some stuff in the skill tree to manage that meter

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I'm still buying this but I'm still not convinced as the people who go out searching to get this game early are the mega fans who are probably quite biased.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
Ah okay if it's just a Block Meter so you don't turtle then I'm okay with it. I assume perfect Blocking doesn't deplete it either, and there's likely some stuff in the skill tree to manage that meter

Iirc, yea, don't believe it drains the block meter when you deflect or perfect block. And you probably can increase the meter as you lvl up. I imagine its under "Survivability"

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Damn if it wasn't for the main character's design looking like the blandest protagonist ever I would be very excited.

This. Game sounds like a pretty awesome experience. But with the protagonist being generic white dude #347 it basically gets kicked to the curb. Maybe they'll do some DLC later that lets you play a cool alien or something.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
This. Game sounds like a pretty awesome experience. But with the protagonist being generic white dude #347 it basically gets kicked to the curb. Maybe they'll do some DLC later that lets you play a cool alien or something.
It's a real actor.

And we have no idea if he character is good or not yet. Never understood these complaints

Nov 9, 2017
Here is the 3rd update from the Reddit thread - can OP edit the top post (or one of the mods)?

Okay here we are again with round three. This will be my final update on this I think, simply because I don't think there's too much more I can add with out spoiling things for you, and I don't want to bore you with the same stuff rehashed. If you've made it this far I hope you've found my ramblings on this game useful. I've played another session today taking my total play time to around 11 hours. I don't feel like I'm half way yet certainly not if I wanted to 100% it. I haven't even gone to a whole planet thats available to me yet for example. Here's some general closing thoughts and impressions for you.
Firstly this game keeps finding ways to make me smile and I'm sure it will do right up until the closing points. If at times I felt like it's a chore that ive gotta back track and rexplore this planet again, ive probably got new powers now so I can find secrets I couldn't access before. Or I can access whole new areas that I couldn't before, which will usually hold new enemies / challenges. Which is awesome, very Bloodborne / Dark Souls / Metroid. There are branching paths ala Souls Bourne and these may simply lead to loot or in some cases entirely new areas or (my favourite) bosses. And a couple of times now I've jumped down into an area and bam boss health bar has come up and you're thrown into a challenge out of seemingly nowhere. Which really keeps things exciting, and there is that element of you don't know what's coming up next that I had when I first played Souls Bourne games, which I love.
For me this game strikes a really good balance of challenge for an average Joe gamer like myself. I have been killed alot of times, by 1 normal enemy, by groups of normal enemies, by bosses, by the environment, by special enemies, by big monsters and so on. Now my point is combat matters, and if you run around willy nilly not blocking blaster shots for example a simple Storm Trooper can catch you off guard and kill you. Big bosses and enemies will wale on you, throw you around, hit you with unblockable attacks and all that jazz. Combat is thoughtful and fun and you need to use all of your abilities to succeed. And it's full of awesome details, one for example being even enemies that usually you would need to stagger a few times to guard break, if you catch them with a stray hit to the head they die instantly... Little things like that that just really make the combat for me. Also the game doesn't pull any punches, it will pit tough melee enemies against you in the same area as groups of ranged storm troopers so you really have to juggle the immediate threat of strong melee enemies in your face whilst deflecting blasters and not getting shot to pieces. Having said that this is a peg or two below Soulsbourne difficulty for me, Soulsbourne Lite, and thats a good thing - I love those games but at times they are painfully brutal (probably because I am a heckin casual). Meditation points are quite generously placed and they function like shrines in Nioh so you can upgrade there. If you're stuck you could farm a little and upgrade (although I really haven't needed to). Providing you have a good (yes only good, I have not mastered parrying everytime or anything like that) grasp of combat and blocking you will do fine against numerous enemies. I haven't hit a brick wall yet but I have been nicely challenged and I really really like that. However I'm sure if you want a challenge of Sith lord proportions the third /fourth difficulty setting will do that for you.
Alright, alot of people have asked me simply is it good!? Shall I keep my preorder? Whilst I don't want to tell you what to do with your hard earned cash here's my two cents... This is the best Star Wars game in a long LONG time. On a par with Kotor for me, and it really is a tough call as to whether it's better. Having said that, this IS NOT Kotor, the story is Cals story - if you come into it expecting dialogue trees and to be able to shape Cal into your own jedi, you've got the wrong end of the stick. BUT this to me is a completely new type of Star Wars game, and I am really really enjoying it. If you think God of War + Star Wars + Soulsbourne lite you're on the right track, and if that appeals, I think 9 out of 10 of you will dig this game in a big way.
I realised I haven't posted an gripes yet, so here's a couple of things that have been rustling my jimmies (only mildly). There is no fast travel at all. Hear me out, so when you've reached your objective and done your jedi business, you need to get back to your ship, and this can be far away, your only option is to hoof it / fight your way back. There are usually quick ways back and short cuts but these are not always obvious, so I have found myself stumped a little. And I have been having to jump at things randomly to see if I can climb them etc. The solution is usually simple but the platforming or the route can be a little illusive. Very minor and that really is the only hang up of note I've had so far. This one is probably more on me being dumb but some of the puzzling has had me stumped for a few sections too, you can get hints from BD-1 but they don't offer too much, and in some areas that are particularly dark sometimes it's hard to see what I'm looking at or figure out how to solve something. The solution is usually not crazily difficult and I do usually kick myself when I get the puzzle done.
Penultimately Lightsabers... At this point I am still playing with a single standard lightsaber that can be customised. However half the lightsaber skill tree is still not open to me. So I'm really hoping that will be dual weild or some other form of saber.
Finally SO many people have asked about the story, about Order 66 etc. I'm not going to answer, sorry for those who have asked... it's only 6 days away and you can wait that long! Here's what I will say, story has not taken a backseat at all to all the flashy stuff. This feels like a Star Wars game for Star Wars fans. I am not a mega buff, but I have found plenty of fan service, bits to smile at, and lots and lots to really enjoy. I'm sure you Star Wars lifelong fans will find plenty to love. We'll leave it at that.
The response to these has been crazy and thanks for all the up votes and silver!
Devs/Respawn/EA you have done a WICKED job with this one.
TL:DR I'm sure come release day most of you guys will have an absolute ball playing this game. Potentially the best Star Wars game to date.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Alright so there's light and heavy attacks. Rb 1 - 2 are for force powers but there's a force gauge limiting the usages. There's dodge with O, if you double tap you'll roll. LB is block / parry. You do finishers with X after a good parry

You absolutely cant turtle because the blocking / parrying works exactly like in Sekiro. If you press block right on time you send projectiles back etc

malcolmx

Banned
May 20, 2018
Not sure if it was added but he did a 3rd comment (& last):

Okay here we are again with round three. This will be my final update on this I think, simply because I don't think there's too much more I can add with out spoiling things for you, and I don't want to bore you with the same stuff rehashed. If you've made it this far I hope you've found my ramblings on this game useful. I've played another session today taking my total play time to around 11 hours. I don't feel like I'm half way yet certainly not if I wanted to 100% it. I haven't even gone to a whole planet thats available to me yet for example. Here's some general closing thoughts and impressions for you.

Firstly this game keeps finding ways to make me smile and I'm sure it will do right up until the closing points. If at times I felt like it's a chore that ive gotta back track and rexplore this planet again, ive probably got new powers now so I can find secrets I couldn't access before. Or I can access whole new areas that I couldn't before, which will usually hold new enemies / challenges. Which is awesome, very Bloodborne / Dark Souls / Metroid. There are branching paths ala Souls Bourne and these may simply lead to loot or in some cases entirely new areas or (my favourite) bosses. And a couple of times now I've jumped down into an area and bam boss health bar has come up and you're thrown into a challenge out of seemingly nowhere. Which really keeps things exciting, and there is that element of you don't know what's coming up next that I had when I first played Souls Bourne games, which I love.

For me this game strikes a really good balance of challenge for an average Joe gamer like myself. I have been killed alot of times, by 1 normal enemy, by groups of normal enemies, by bosses, by the environment, by special enemies, by big monsters and so on. Now my point is combat matters, and if you run around willy nilly not blocking blaster shots for example a simple Storm Trooper can catch you off guard and kill you. Big bosses and enemies will wale on you, throw you around, hit you with unblockable attacks and all that jazz. Combat is thoughtful and fun and you need to use all of your abilities to succeed. And it's full of awesome details, one for example being even enemies that usually you would need to stagger a few times to guard break, if you catch them with a stray hit to the head they die instantly... Little things like that that just really make the combat for me. Also the game doesn't pull any punches, it will pit tough melee enemies against you in the same area as groups of ranged storm troopers so you really have to juggle the immediate threat of strong melee enemies in your face whilst deflecting blasters and not getting shot to pieces. Having said that this is a peg or two below Soulsbourne difficulty for me, Soulsbourne Lite, and thats a good thing - I love those games but at times they are painfully brutal (probably because I am a heckin casual). Meditation points are quite generously placed and they function like shrines in Nioh so you can upgrade there. If you're stuck you could farm a little and upgrade (although I really haven't needed to). Providing you have a good (yes only good, I have not mastered parrying everytime or anything like that) grasp of combat and blocking you will do fine against numerous enemies. I haven't hit a brick wall yet but I have been nicely challenged and I really really like that. However I'm sure if you want a challenge of Sith lord proportions the third /fourth difficulty setting will do that for you.

Alright, alot of people have asked me simply is it good!? Shall I keep my preorder? Whilst I don't want to tell you what to do with your hard earned cash here's my two cents... This is the best Star Wars game in a long LONG time. On a par with Kotor for me, and it really is a tough call as to whether it's better. Having said that, this IS NOT Kotor, the story is Cals story - if you come into it expecting dialogue trees and to be able to shape Cal into your own jedi, you've got the wrong end of the stick. BUT this to me is a completely new type of Star Wars game, and I am really really enjoying it. If you think God of War + Star Wars + Soulsbourne lite you're on the right track, and if that appeals, I think 9 out of 10 of you will dig this game in a big way.

I realised I haven't posted an gripes yet, so here's a couple of things that have been rustling my jimmies (only mildly). There is no fast travel at all. Hear me out, so when you've reached your objective and done your jedi business, you need to get back to your ship, and this can be far away, your only option is to hoof it / fight your way back. There are usually quick ways back and short cuts but these are not always obvious, so I have found myself stumped a little. And I have been having to jump at things randomly to see if I can climb them etc. The solution is usually simple but the platforming or the route can be a little illusive. Very minor and that really is the only hang up of note I've had so far. This one is probably more on me being dumb but some of the puzzling has had me stumped for a few sections too, you can get hints from BD-1 but they don't offer too much, and in some areas that are particularly dark sometimes it's hard to see what I'm looking at or figure out how to solve something. The solution is usually not crazily difficult and I do usually kick myself when I get the puzzle done.
Penultimately Lightsabers... At this point I am still playing with a single standard lightsaber that can be customised. However half the lightsaber skill tree is still not open to me. So I'm really hoping that will be dual weild or some other form of saber.

Finally SO many people have asked about the story, about Order 66 etc. I'm not going to answer, sorry for those who have asked... it's only 6 days away and you can wait that long! Here's what I will say, story has not taken a backseat at all to all the flashy stuff. This feels like a Star Wars game for Star Wars fans. I am not a mega buff, but I have found plenty of fan service, bits to smile at, and lots and lots to really enjoy. I'm sure you Star Wars lifelong fans will find plenty to love. We'll leave it at that.

The response to these has been crazy and thanks for all the up votes and silver!

TL:DR I'm sure come release day most of you guys will have an absolute ball playing this game. Potentially the best Star Wars game to date.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Game of the Year lol

Resetera gonna be in shambles

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019

Oh ffs I thought we were beyond judging characters how they look lol

You do realize thats an actual person right??

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hearing they're not sending out advanced copies to reviewers. Can anyone confirm this?

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
Not sure if it was added but he did a 3rd comment (& last):

I am beyond speechless....god I hope this really is as good as he says. And if it only gets better, Respawn might have their own GoW moment this year

Nov 9, 2017

I know right? This is slowly more and more starting to sound like the Star Wars game I've always wanted. To claim that it's the best since KOTOR (I'd put KOTOR2 higher with the restoration mod) is a BIG claim to make in my eyes.....KOTOR/KOTOR2 have always been the "gold standard" of SW games for me. If this even comes close.....fuck I cannot wait for Friday.

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
On a par with Kotor for me

giphy.gif

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
For those asking about an EA access trial I got these messages on Xbox Live.

05/11/2019 said:
Make sure to get the full 10-Hour Trial of STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order from your EA Access Membership. In order to preserve the full trial, be sure to fully close the game after each play session by pressing the Guide button, highlight STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order from your recently played games list, press Menu, and then select Quit. For more info on how to close games, select Launch Site.

08/11/2019 said:
Sorry, we mistakenly sent our previous notification. We've opted not to have a Play First Trial for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to reduce the risk of spoilers. We'd like to let the community experience this new Star Wars adventure together on a single worldwide launch date. EA Access subscribers will still get 10% off the game and some exclusive Jedi: Fallen Order cosmetics. Players everywhere can start playing on launch day, November 15, 2019.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
I know right? This is slowly more and more starting to sound like the Star Wars game I've always wanted. To claim that it's the best since KOTOR (I'd put KOTOR2 higher with the restoration mod) is a BIG claim to make in my eyes.....KOTOR/KOTOR2 have always been the "gold standard" of SW games for me. If this even comes close.....fuck I cannot wait for Friday.

KOTOR 2 lead narrative designer worked on Jedi Fallen Order as well.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Except people always had the EA stink labeled to this game from the jump. Never seen people even mentioning GOTY until now.
Nah, everytime someone actually played it we got GOTY buzz

You are right though, there is massive skepticism from viewers. Everyone even the guy in OP expected EA to botch this. And they didnt

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
This reddit guy is actually a pretty good writer, I enjoyed reading those impressions. Certainly sounds like the game is delivering exactly what it promised on the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.