• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I kept hearing the internet word of mouth saying this game is like Soulsbourne Star Wars, and lo and behold the first thing I see when I click on this topic are people comparing it to From Software games. Wtf? I watched the trailer, read the games description, and there's absolutely nothing alluding to this. There's not enough info to go on to even get excited about this game yet for me.

While mastering your abilities, players will engage in cinematically-charged lightsaber and Force combat designed to deliver the kind of intense STAR WARS lightsaber battles as seen in the films. Players will need to approach enemies strategically, sizing up strengths and weaknesses while cleverly utilizing your Jedi training to overcome your opponents and solve the mysteries that lay in your path.

"● Cinematic, Immersive Combat – Jedi: Fallen Order delivers the fantasy of becoming a Jedi through its innovative lightsaber combat system – striking, parrying, dodging - partnered with a suite of powerful Force abilities you'll need to leverage to overcome obstacles that stand in your way. This combat system is intuitive to pick up, but takes training and practice to fully master its nuances as you gain new powers and abilities along your adventure.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/s...tion/bztfxs3m1ggv?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
That was a whole lot of nothing. Very bland.

There was no real aesthetically interesting location, set piece, sequence, or design that stood out as signature? I think that's what got me. It was kind of like a montage of generic kinda cool but also very familiar Star Wars stuff strung together in basic form, without that big moment or jaw dropping set piece that rounds out the vision and gives it an identity to remember. It was just a bunch of...Star Wars stuff, that I think could be plenty interesting but for the time being okay whatever?

Also it looked weird? Or is that just me? Like overly clean or something, a weird mix of realistic art direction but sterile in tone and texture, almost cartoonish? Like a weird mix of realistic with a dash of Clone Wars? That looks in-engine Unreal Engine 4 though.

I don't know. Also, as everyone else has echoed, no gameplay is a bummer. It's obviously what everyone wants to see. I understand the cinematic story trailer taking centre stage, but it'd have been nice to see how it actually plays.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Wow I thought the trailer was good. We've seen next to nothing about the character and there are so many people hand waving this game off as generic.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Trailer was fantastic, only thing I worry about is EA as publisher. I have a sneaking suspicion this game is being rushed and not being given enough time in the oven.

I hope I'm wrong but knowing ea and Disney this game was being pushed to come out before the movie in December.

When did they start making this game, everything starting with the weird announcement last year makes it seem like it was fast tracked out of nowhere. These are talented guys and gals working on this game, worst thing to happen would be they don't get to have enough time to make a great game and bring it to it's full potential

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
What do you guys think of the art direction? Not really impressed with it. Gives me slight vibes of old CG trailers where the environments had a flat lighting to them.

Also it looked weird? Or is that just me? Like overly clean or something, a weird mix of realistic art direction but sterile in tone and texture, almost cartoonish? Like a weird mix of realistic with a dash of Clone Wars? That looks in-engine Unreal Engine 4 though.

Should have read just this page before posting. Yeah I agree. It has that really sterile look of early CG trailers. I'm thinking it has to be all from the in-game engine because there is nothing really going on that seems like it would have to be made outside the engine.

LeonSPBR

Oct 25, 2017
My reaction is just like the one from Easy Allies. Hopeful for the game itself, but this was really bland. Lots of buzz words and a lot of talking, but no game shown. Really bad presentation. Really hard to get an idea of the game without gameplay, just people talking what's in it. Hopeful for gameplay at E3, but right now not hyped at all.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When companies will learn that cinematic trailers are worthless?

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

His Joker (and band) is wack but I actually like Jared Leto quite a bit as an actor.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
What do you guys think of the art direction? Not really impressed with it. Gives me slight vibes of old CG trailers where the environments had a flat lighting to them.

Should have read just this page before posting. Yeah I agree. It has that really sterile look of early CG trailers. I'm thinking it has to be all from the in-game engine because there is nothing really going on that seems like it would have to be made outside the engine.

Ha! I was literally going to mention old CGI trailers where lighting is sterile and background asset detail is minimal. Same page.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the trailer again I'm still amazed about the lack of epic landscapes/planets. Take the "padawan" out of the shown story and it could be any adventure game. I fell like there is too less Star Wars feeling in this Star Wars game. Sure, there are references thrown there somehow randomly but the Star Wars atmosphere seems to miss almost completely. Maybe the art gives me this vibe.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
It would have been cool if they went the 1313 route. Being a bounty hunter instead of the tired and true Jedi would have been a good change of pace. The 1313 reveal just really stuck out to me. This one, not so much. Even the Easy Allies were a little down on it despite still really looking forward to it. Hopefully they show something amazing at E3.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I thought the trailer was pretty bad, but the Xbox store description sounds interesting. I need to see gameplay.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Still having trouble ordering through gamestop. I want the exclusive figure (yeah, I collect them), curious if anyone else is having problems? It keeps telling me my billing info doesn't match my address. I tried 3 different CC and paypal... none will work. 😢

Anyone been able to place an order?

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
I like how it's only the "super hardcore" who want to see gameplay in video game trailers now
My response was more to the assumption that all CG trailers are worthless and only gameplay matters. That is so hilariously wrong as to be....hilarious :).

Only when they're really well done. Like DICE does. Where they can make you believe there's actually a story in a game there is practically almost none.

But this was not one of those awesome cinematic trailers. It's an average bland one.
I was more speaking in general. I liked the mood setting in this one for the first half, but the latter half was meh, agreed.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
What makes you say that? Is there a hint toward Old Republic stuff in the trailer that I missed?
As a Jedi hero-turned-fugitive, players will need to fight for survival while exploring the mysteries of a long-extinct civilization all in an effort to rebuild the remnants of the Jedi Order as the Empire seeks to erase the Jedi completely.

Just baseless speculation :p

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what the point of a trailer like that is. We already knew there would be Star Wars stuff, so that didn't tell us anything. They should show what the game is like in a trailer for a game. Super lame. If I had to guess then I'd guess that the game will be good, but as of now there is no way to tell. Stupid idea whoever came up with it to reveal the game in this way.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
From Xbox store

"● Cinematic, Immersive Combat – Jedi: Fallen Order delivers the fantasy of becoming a Jedi through its innovative lightsaber combat system – striking, parrying, dodging - partnered with a suite of powerful Force abilities you'll need to leverage to overcome obstacles that stand in your way. This combat system is intuitive to pick up, but takes training and practice to fully master its nuances as you gain new powers and abilities along your adventure.
● A New Jedi Story Begins - As a former Padawan on the run from the Empire, you must complete your training before Imperial Inquisitors discover your plan to revive the Jedi Order. Aided by a former Jedi Knight, a cantankerous pilot, and a fearless droid, you must escape the evil machinations of the Empire in a story-driven adventure. Explore and overcome a wide range of challenges focused on combat, exploration, and puzzle-solving.
● The Galaxy Awaits - Ancient forests, windswept rock faces, and haunted jungles are all unique biomes you'll explore in Jedi: Fallen Order, with the freedom to decide when and where you go next. As you unlock new powers and abilities, opportunities open up to re-traverse maps in new ways; leveraging the Force to augment the way you explore. Move quickly, however, as the Empire is actively hunting your every step in their effort to exterminate all remnants of the Jedi Order. "

Sekiro in space combat hype.

Knowing that they have a previous GoW director on the team, that combat part sounds really good, sounds like it has a lot more dept than Force Unleashed.

And the part about choosing where to go next sounds awesome, hoping this is more of a 12-15 hour experience than a 6-8 hour one.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm as disappointed as anyone but obviously they work for audiences that aren't enthusiast forums

You don't have to be a forum enthusiast to expect that a game trailer have some of gameplay or at least show us a glance how the game will be.
I felt that i was seeing a generic cliché Star War CG movie trailer.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
You don't have to be a forum enthusiast to expect that a game trailer have some of gameplay or at least show us a glance how the game will be.
I felt that i was seeing a generic cliché Star War CG movie trailer.
A ton of people like those trailers and they're effective. Everything doesn't need to be for Butman.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As a CGI trailer, really average.

If an indication of the in-game art direction, I'll allow it.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
This trailer and all the information around it has me super hyped. Granted, I'm stupid hyped for everything Star Wars after the Episode IX trailer, but MAN, this could be really good. I haven't been genuinely hyped like this for a game or movie for some time.

Bring it home, Respawn!!!

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Cinematic trailers being the first and only thing shown for a new video game need to die a quick, immediate death.
I prefer almost entirely gameplay, but if not, then I am okay if a company decides to do a half and half trailer. Half cinematic, half gameplay.
If you have to do a cinematic only trailer, then do a gameplay only trailer. Balance that shit out.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That trailer was pretty bad, I wanted a chunk of gameplay to understand what you do rather than all that cinematics stuff.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Cinematic trailers being the first and only thing shown for a new video game need to die a quick, immediate death.
I prefer almost entirely gameplay, but if not, then I am okay if a company decides to do a half and half trailer. Half cinematic, half gameplay.
If you have to do a cinematic only trailer, then do a gameplay only trailer. Balance that shit out.
Agreed. For a game due for release in 7 months some gameplay footage would be expected. Will decide on my interest in this game only then.