• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Official Reveal Trailer (EA/Respawn, November 15, 2019, PS4/XB1/PC) [Read Staff Post]

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand why we can't just get more Kyle Katarn-type games but with modern graphics and stuff.

It prints money, dammit.

Shooter action, Jedi powers, RPG-like progression, vehicle and space ship combat, amazing visuals, exotic locales, Star Wars universe - it should literally print all the money in the world.

Oct 25, 2017
MC looks like he's ripped straight out some Netflix teen drama. The trailer didn't do much for me, CG ones rarely do, but it's Respawn so I remain somewhat optimistic. KOTOR sorta ruined the video game Jedi, though. Sith have better fashion, better lightsabers, much cooler powers, and more fascinating lore .

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like anyone who feels the protagonist is "generic" must be unfamiliar with Cameron Monaghan's acting. He's a good actor with a pretty weird and distinctive presence. I think his casting signals that they're going to do some interesting character work here. I like the way the narration suggests an internal struggle to keep your secrets hidden.

Would have liked to have seen more vistas and combat, but this was a solid intro to the character, and leaves them room to reveal a lot more at E3.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's always funny to me when people say stuff like "the character model is bland" for models ripped directly from actors like Cameron Monaghan in this and Sam Witwer in Days Gone. Like, both dudes (especially Witwer) have fairly unique faces and stage presences in the works they appear in, and... Like, that's how they look. It'd be like saying Jean Reno in Onimusha 3 looks generic. Imagine someone telling you that your face was bland, when in the acting world the opposite is true.

Oct 25, 2017
It's always funny to me when people say stuff like "the character model is bland" for models ripped directly from actors like Cameron Monaghan in this and Sam Witwer in Days Gone. Like, both dudes (especially Witwer) have fairly unique faces and stage presences in the works they appear in, and... Like, that's how they look. It'd be like saying Jean Reno in Onimusha 3 looks generic. Imagine someone telling you that your face was bland, when in the acting world the opposite is true.
Good point. NO ONE who has seen Monaghan's performance in Gotham would describe him as "bland faced." He's a very dynamic facial actor who brings a lot to the table.
Huh, I really liked it. It did more for me than the IX teaser.

Each to their own, I suppose. Might just be because I'm hungover atm...
It has more actual storytelling than the Episode 9 trailer. It built the character and the drama of the situation. The 9 trailer had some cool shots and vague voice-over, but it didn't have any real story context or stakes.

Oct 29, 2017
But that would require people to actually think. Too hard for the star wars fanbase.

Oct 26, 2017
i must say i don't really like this new main character. he looks like hes from a CW show.
Art style is in my opinion also not very good.
BUT i trust in Respawn. So far i liked all their games.

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, that's a poor trailer. Feels like it's selling itself on "look, a Star Wars game where you're a jedi" and I don't think that's enough these days, especially not with the way EA has consistently bungled the Star Wars franchise. They need to show what sets it apart from all the other AAA games they're competing with this year and not rely entirely on the Star Wars license. I'm surprised anyone thinks that trailer is CG though, it's nowhere near that polished. It's clearly in-engine.

As far as the protagonist goes, he does look like a generic white dude but I think a biggest factor in him seeming generic is that the trailer did absolutely nothing to sell us on the writing or performances. Nail those and it won't matter what he looks like but as is, there's absolutely nothing about him to be interested in. He just comes off as generic videogame dude #89445.

Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
What a boring looking protagonist. Actually, all characters look very uninteresting to be honest. Zero excited about this game but then again I'm not a big start wars fan so maybe it's also that.

Oct 27, 2017
What are the odds this gets drudged up with all future SWJFO threads?

Sep 16, 2018
One thing I find is that Star Wars fans are incredibly hard to please, no matter what is put out in any entertainment medium there is ton of complaints.

I thought the trailer was okay. It gave us a background of what the story is going to be about. What's up with this entitlement of having gameplay in the first trailer? It is not necessarily restricted to this game, but all games in general. Everyone wants everything yesterday, and the threads are getting tedious to read due to that.

Oct 25, 2017
What a boring looking protagonist. Actually, all characters look very uninteresting to be honest. Zero excited about this game but then again I'm not a big start wars fan so maybe it's also that.
He's an actor scanned into the game. Not a terrible one either, he's pretty decent on Shameless. And on Gotham as various versions of The Joker. I wonder who else auditioned for this.

Jan 25, 2018
The trailer got me pretty damn hyped and I found it infinitely better than the movie trailer. But I see I am in minority here lol.
I loved the main character in Gotham too so pretty stoked to see what he brings here.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I really liked it. It did more for me than the IX teaser.

Each to their own, I suppose. Might just be because I'm hungover atm...
Nah, you don’t have to justify your own opinion because it seems to go against what the norm is in this thread.

The trailer looked brilliant, because it was. I’m hyped to see more.

Oct 25, 2017
Me too. I sort of assumed because it showed characters chatting in bars which usually leads to dialogue choices and that implies RPG and so on and so on.
Dude that's a glorified FMV the game is gonna have a 3 min cutscene in a bar then "something happens" and you're stranded in some area having to use awkward platforming and fighting goons.

If they had a full city to explore and NPCs etc... I think they would have mentioned it while the key points to them was "story and combat".

Jan 27, 2018
To be fair, the entire point of the Jedi Council's depiction in the prequels was to show that they were a bunch of toothless dolts twiddling their thumbs while Palpatine/Darth Sidious rose to power under their noses.
Im not too sure about that, i think that was Lucas's poor writing honestly, Clone Wars & the EU don't show them incompetent, maybe more arrogant.

Oct 29, 2017
I understand people wanting to see gameplay (i did too), but it seems people are writing off this game form a reveal trailer, which is ludicrous. To me, the trailer looked similar to spider-man PS4 story trailers for some reason. I don't know why.

Im not too sure about that, i think that was Lucas's poor writing honestly, Clone Wars & the EU don't show them incompetent, maybe more arrogant.
I s'pose it was a bit of both. They refused to believe the Sith were even back at all until Qui-Gon was murdered by one and they were all too eager to aid the Republic in fighting the Separatists just because Dooku was on the other side, yet Palpatine was right under their nose for years and they had no idea he was playing both sides of the war in a game only he knew they were playing.

It doesn't help that the Jedi never would've lost if they hadn't basically pushed Anakin into Palpatine's open arms, either. If they had tried to integrate him more, keeping him in the loop rather than excluding him all the time, and didn't abandon their own people like they did with Ahsoka, I don't even know if Anakin would have joined Palpatine.

Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
He's an actor scanned into the game. Not a terrible one either, he's pretty decent on Shameless. And on Gotham as various versions of The Joker. I wonder who else auditioned for this.
Is that really him? Looks completely different. But anyway, I meant boring more in respect to the acting and expressiveness shown in the trailer, looked really out of place and not engaging.

Oct 27, 2017
Lot's of people are worried about the non-existent gameplay.
Many people are asking "Whats the catch?"
EA has done a good job at destroying consumer confidence in their games.
I mean can you blame consumers after battlefront 2, battlefield V, and anthem

That said, I'm liking this trailer more and more as I rewatch it, and Respawn is easily EA's best dev, so I'm still excited for the game

Oct 25, 2017
Cardiff, Wales
Between Disney fucking up nearly everything Star Wars, and EA fucking up Star Wars games specifically, I'm giving this wide berth before I buy.

And even if I wanted to pre-order, a CG hype trailer is not gonna convince many to plonk down cash at this stage.

Oct 27, 2017
I think if Sony wants to take a swing at the mobile market again, they'd be better off trying to make a PS4 SKU that copies the Switch's form factor. Give it that console's full library, plus a continuing stream of indies (that will publish on the console for years to come regardless). Mix that with good PS5 BC, and you'd have something extremely attractive.
Nah, you don’t have to justify your own opinion because it seems to go against what the norm is in this thread.

The trailer looked brilliant, because it was. I’m hyped to see more.
I very much enjoyed the trailer as well and it did exactly what I expected. It teased what is to come, and boy do I want to see more.

Ste

Jun 8, 2018
England
If you shown me just the the trailer and no bits at the end that says it made by respawn etc then I would say it's an old cartoon movie that looks garbage.

Until game play is shown I can't understand how anyone can give an opinion on this being a game.

I think most people have better ideas for a star wars game than the ideas in this.

Jan 10, 2019
The trailer was fine, just fine.

Wouldn’t the trailer be Lucasfilm and Disney mandated though, given its at Star Wars celebration? I remember the first Battlefront trailers showed fuck all.

its the first reveal trailer, what were you all expecting??

AAA games always have a big story/ cinemtaic traioler first then gameplay etc come later

Its Respawn, thye know what they are doing

I'm looking forwrd to see more detals

ket

Jul 27, 2018
its the first reveal trailer, what were you all expecting??

AAA games always have a big story/ cinemtaic traioler first then gameplay etc come later

Its Respawn, thye know what they are doing

I'm looking forwrd to see more detals
Not always. When God of War first got revealed it also got a gameplay demo.