• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Official Reveal Trailer (EA/Respawn, November 15, 2019, PS4/XB1/PC) [Read Staff Post]

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
Being burned by EA as much as I have been in the past I am more pessimistic. My only saving grace is Respawn's attachment and what they have done.

Is this confirmed 3rd person? I have never seen a respawn 3rd person game so that also puts me off. I will hope for the best as SW is one of my favorite franchises.

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
There was such a good thread on redheads early in Era's first year.

Not to say yeah, of course there's bullying, but how some made being a redhead is equivalent to being a person of color. It was hilarious.
Actually, bro, I'm Samoan.

I'm a Pacific Islander (if you're not familiar with us, think Hawaiian??), with red hair, and you are ignorant if you think that this is a race thing.

Know your things before you type the things.

Nov 11, 2017
thats just like your opinion man. your entitled to it just like i am to mine. the art direction looks stupid.
Hyperbole much? The CGI is totally fine. That's not even objective. That like saying 4k has the same amount of pixel as 720p it's just untrue no matter how much you dislike it

Fat4all

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
bork land
Weren’t you supposed to get KOTOR free for watching this on mixer? I watched on my Xbox and logged on but dont see how to get the game anywhere? Anyone get it and how?
i already had the game so i didn’t bother, but I think you had to watch it live

dunno what else you had to do, there might’ve been an on-screen prompt to redeem it

Oct 25, 2017
Hyperbole much? The CGI is totally fine. That's not even objective. That like saying 4k has the same amount of pixel as 720p it's just untrue no matter how much you dislike it
Try reading my post again. I'm specifically talking about the art direction. Which is, 100% subjective.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Being burned by EA as much as I have been in the past I am more pessimistic. My only saving grace is Respawn's attachment and what they have done.

Is this confirmed 3rd person? I have never seen a respawn 3rd person game so that also puts me off. I will hope for the best as SW is one of my favorite franchises.
Yes, it's confirmed third-person.

The main character is Blandy McBlandface unfortunately, but otherwise everything else seems OK. I know they picked a real actor, but I'm saying that I wish they'd picked a different real actor for the role. I guess in a narrative sense it helps if the main character has a totally forgettable face and design, since that would play into them being able to survive longer than others, but it seems like a poor choice from a game design point of view :)

I'm disappointed that there was absolutely zero gameplay, but I guess that this far from release they're probably not really sure how the game is actually going to end up looking anyway, and People Of The Internet™ do seem to lose their shit if so much as a puddle changes between a super early trailer and the final release. That's why we can't have nice things :(

The trailer is in engine.
Is the engine officially confirmed to be UE4, or is that still just speculation based on the job postings?

Oct 26, 2017
the biggest question for me would be if there are dark side powers as well. I assume not because of the jedi theme/story, but that would be the first time in a star wars game with an original force sensitive protagonist where we could not have dark side powers and that would make me a bit sad.
Troubled male protagonist who struggles with the darkside is pretty overplayed at this point.

God of war, horizon zero dawn, sekiro, nioh, Wolfenstein new collosus all revealed with gameplay
Sure but thats not the norm - usually you get a cinematic trailer maeb wiht a couple of secomds of gameplay at the end.

I think its because we all knew the game was coming people expected more from a reveal trailer.

Also, patience isn't exactly a strong point in ERA :)

Oct 26, 2017
Troubled male protagonist who struggles with the darkside is pretty overplayed at this point.
i mean, the force as a concept is kind of inherently based on struggling, either to remain balanced or to exert your rage. taking all nuance away from it and turning it into Literally Just Telekinesis is kind of a wasted opportunity. I don't want like an infamous-style system where you unlock a different skill tree or anything, I just mean the story shouldn't discount the obvious issue of having everything taken from you yet not allowing yourself to become vengeful and embittered by it.

Something interesting in the later years of the now not canon books was the sentiment in the far future that the Force was actually a hindrance, because of the way it amplifies and feeds into negative thoughts. The idea that a person might have just had a few bad years if they hadn't been force-sensitive and instead drawn into absolute hatred of everything.

idk. I think there's value in stories about people being tempted by dark places.

Oct 26, 2017
i mean, the force as a concept is kind of inherently based on struggling, either to remain balanced or to exert your rage. taking all nuance away from it and turning it into Literally Just Telekinesis is kind of a wasted opportunity. I don't want like an infamous-style system where you unlock a different skill tree or anything, I just mean the story shouldn't discount the obvious issue of having everything taken from you yet not allowing yourself to become vengeful and embittered by it.

Something interesting in the later years of the now not canon books was the sentiment in the far future that the Force was actually a hindrance, because of the way it amplifies and feeds into negative thoughts. The idea that a person might have just had a few bad years if they hadn't been force-sensitive and instead drawn into absolute hatred of everything.

idk. I think there's value in stories about people being tempted by dark places.
I think you can portray struggle without having a protagonist who's tempted by the literal dark side with the "will he or won't he turn evil." angle. I'm definitely curious about the story. This perspective and period of time has usually only been told in comics and stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm just waiting for the catch to this game...
Mtx post launch? (EA tweeted no iirc), is the campaign super short? dlc pre-order bs?

Basically where is the long term monetisation EA is obsessed with?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still amazed how we didn't get an alien protagonist in the perfect game to get that. If not in a Star Wars game then where? Or a character creator. Star Wars has so many interesting species and a lot of the Jedi are unique and yet this game ended up with almost a visual cliche as a jedi.

Well, maybe the rest of the game will compensate for it, maybe the story will be a surprising one and not a rehash of existing padawan stories. Strange that even for a story trailer it doesn't really make the story pop out that much.
We'll see, probably the game will be better than its promotion.

Oct 25, 2017
All I see is a serious concept problem.

It would be hard to say a Star Wars game if the lightsaber, that sith character, and two stormtrooper were not in the trailer. Everything else, included the protagonist, does not appear to belong to the concept.

Although the directors changed, they kept Star Wars' own design and feel. This is the most important issue when creating a Star Wars product. And I can't see that in the Fallen Order.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
All I see is a serious concept problem.

It would be hard to say a Star Wars game if the lightsaber, that sith character, and two stormtrooper were not in the trailer. Everything else, included the protagonist, does not appear to belong to this concept.

Although the directors changed, they kept Star Wars' own design and feel. This is the most important issue when creating a Star Wars product. And I can't see that in the Fallen Order.
Yes, it's rather a mix of Assassin Creed and Watch Dogs in a futuristic setting than Star Wars. Hopefully that will change when they will show more outdoor scenery like in that concept art leaked first - planets. Because now looks rather small in scope.

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
to be fair, you know who else we thought was going to be a generic white guy and turned out he was one of the greatest protagonists ever

All this talk reminds me of the reveal of the original Uncharted. Before Nathan Drake was “Nathan Drake”....based on the early release screenshots prior to gameplay reveal I remember everyone dismissing him as boring boob-less Tomb Raider.

Hope we get this wrong again. I have the utmost faith in a combat designer from the God of War series, a studio that crafted an amazing campaign with Titanfall, and a Director who helped craft some of the most epic set pieces in all of gaming.

Everybody have some faith....this hopefully gonna be the Star Wars game of our dreams!

I hope it's 3rd person, Respawn has veterans from Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica (Stig Asmussen who directed what's possibly one of the greatest final chapter: God of War3, is also the director of Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order), Kojima Productions to name a few. They've got the talent that's needed to pull off a spectacular 3rd person action adventure game.

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
All this talk reminds me of the reveal of the original Uncharted. Before Nathan Drake was “Nathan Drake”....based on the early release screenshots prior to gameplay reveal I remember everyone dismissing him as boring boob-less Tomb Raider.

Hope we get this wrong again. I have the utmost faith in a combat designer from the God of War series, a studio that crafted an amazing campaign with Titanfall, and a Director who helped craft some of the most epic set pieces in all of gaming.

Everybody have some faith....this hopefully gonna be the Star Wars game of our dreams!
Big set pieces doesn’t make good game. I thought GoW 3 was the weakest game in the main line GoW. Great gameplay and maybe decent story make good games like Jedi Knight and KOTOR.

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
FR

your dreams*

Jan 31, 2018
Welcome to AAA gaming reveal trailers. I knew this wouldn't have any gameplay when it was announced, and they emphasized "story driven", and I bet the gameplay will be like every other AAA cinematic third person game out there. The idea of a game with Jedi Academy type gameplay is dead.
Yeah true story. The panel was kind of interesting, but overall was pretty meh. Maybe they’ll show a big slice at E3.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this tweet on the Anthem subreddit and couldn't help but chuckle.

If we're to believe reports, EA lets Bioware and respawn do more or less what they want, so it's not that EA specifically ordered this, but at this point, maybe it'd have been better if they HAD played the tyrannical publisher and just made them do the thing their both good at.

Oct 27, 2017
If we're to believe reports, EA lets Bioware and respawn do more or less what they want, so it's not that EA specifically ordered this, but at this point, maybe it'd have been better if they HAD played the tyrannical publisher and just made them do the thing their both good at.
Well actually, BioWare Austin have pitched Star Wars games including another KOTOR. But, they were rejected. Likely by Lucasfilm as they are clearly reserving the KOTOR space for film/tv. Also, Amy Henning just recently commented about how the whole SP focus, no micro-transaction bent was definitely NOT a thing when she was working on Ragtag. She speculates that it's a change in strategy but that Fallen Order was also likely helped by: 1) It being in development before EA acquired Respawn and 2) Vince Zampella protecting the game as he is on the Executive Team at EA and thus can protect his team's projects in ways other studios cannot.

Oct 25, 2017
Well actually, BioWare Austin have pitched Star Wars games including another KOTOR. But, they were rejected. Likely by Lucasfilm as they are clearly reserving the KOTOR space for film/tv. Also, Amy Henning just recently commented about how the whole SP focus, no micro-transaction bent was definitely NOT a thing when she was working on Ragtag. She speculates that it's a change in strategy but that Fallen Order was also likely helped by: 1) It being in development before EA acquired Respawn and 2) Vince Zampella protecting the game as he is on the Executive Team at EA and thus can protect his team's projects in ways other studios cannot.
Thanks for the explanation. So it's more that EA wanted a live service game from both studios, but only Respawn has the means to act with some agency in the company.