• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Guys it's not CGI
Everything was in-engine with ingame assets

Call it a glorified cutscene
It's not really a meaningful distinction. In-engine cutscenes can look significantly better than gameplay and the end result often looks better than CG because of the lack of artifacting/stylistic differences when coming from gameplay. Obviously the latter is not super relevant for a trailer, but when people are calling it CG they just mean "not gameplay' because the distinction between in engine cutscene and CG is pretty irrelevant.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Was it just me or does the jacket that the protagonist is wearing at the beginning look exactly like the one Norman Reedus' character wears in Death Stranding?

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Damn, you're right. How did I never not notice this? Again, another white dude lead is just a disappointing decision when SW has been hitting a home-run with diversity lately. How about an asian lead? Cast a Japanese actor given that Jedis are basically Samurais.
When you want to be inclusive yet still boil everything down to stereotypes.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't much of a reveal considering it's out in November... will wait until E3 where we will hopefully see the actual game.

Reminder about civility

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
People are allowed to be critical of this trailer for various reasons, including representation. Please be respectful towards your fellow members, argue in good faith and do not antagonise one another. Meanwhile, if you think a post requires moderator attention, please report it.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Oh shit you got him. There has never been any other good character that is white and male
It's almost like there's plenty of choices for good characters in games that are white and male and really little amount for ones that are PoC or female or LGBT or even *shock* an intersting combo of them?? If they can write an "interesting" white male character what was stopping them make that character a women or poc or LGBT?

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I totally understand that representation for minorities, women, lgbt is important and I think it's great when it's present in media and I will absolutely push back on anyone that starts outraging when these groups are represented in a film, a game or whatever when they previously were not because generally I do think it's important.

With that said, saying a white male character is "boring, bland, generic" when you do not know anything about the character is unnecessary. Yes, the same thing happened with Arthur in RDR2.

The implication is not that the character is boring, but that the choice of white male is boring

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
you said Rockstar has never had to deal with people criticizing their choice of protagonist before, and then said they did
but knowing Rockstar they don't care what people think of their characters and it doesn't sway them in any way. GTA 6 could have 3 white guys if that is what Rockstar wants to do, and their do it and they know the game is going to sell alot either way

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, you're right. How did I never not notice this? Again, another white dude lead is just a disappointing decision when SW has been hitting a home-run with diversity lately. How about an asian lead? Cast a Japanese actor given that Jedis are basically Samurais.

I honestly think this quietly informs part of why people do still have sentiment for those films, certainly the era they're set in at least. They opened floodgates on actually seeing one's self as a Jedi, and while it wasn't exactly the actual ideal such should be, it legitimised having options at least, compared to the material previously available.

And that I admittedly think also informs why our protagonist here sticks out like something of a sore thumb. Having new Star Wars games and media all over the place in the 00s made it easier to find such options if one wanted them; they weren't always of the highest quality, but they were there, and the quality options were often noted for the variety they could offer players. But since the Disney buyout, the options for characters you can play - particularly in the vein of the Jedi fantasy - shrank. In the current Battlefront II, the only force and/or lightsaber users that aren't white are aliens. So within that particular niche... Yeah, our new guy, however great (or terrible) might be, is more of the same.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Official Staff Communication
People are allowed to be critical of this trailer for various reasons, including representation. Please be respectful towards your fellow members, argue in good faith and do not antagonise one another. Meanwhile, if you think a post requires moderator attention, please report it.
but in fairness i have to ask you, are we allowed to criticize that criticism?

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People here dogpiled on Arthur with these exact same comments. It's pathetic when you know literally nothing of the character and story.
So choice of looks cannot be criticized? One has to judge the whole character?

Here's a thing, you can have the same character with boring looks, or interesting looks, or weird looks. Shit, you can gender-flip many, many characters without anything changing (obviously there are stories where that logically matters, but this probably isn't one).

Maybe the protagonist in this game is interesting character. But we can't really know that yet, so i highly doubt anyone's saying anything about that yet. Instead, why 20-something white young guy? Especially with that typical fresh-face looks?
Why not someone grizzled and grimy? Why not someone pushing 50? Or a cyborg?
Or just, like, add mustache at least. Would be a lot better than nothing.
EDIT Well, as long as it ain't the bald space marine type, we've seen enough of those.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really a meaningful distinction. In-engine cutscenes can look significantly better than gameplay and the end result often looks better than CG because of the lack of artifacting/stylistic differences when coming from gameplay. Obviously the latter is not super relevant for a trailer, but when people are calling it CG they just mean "not gameplay' because the distinction between in engine cutscene and CG is pretty irrelevant.

I disagree with this. Pre-rendered footage vs in-game capture is completely different.

You're afford many luxuries with pre-rendered like turning of LODs, maxing texture resolutions and lighting complexity to name a few. Some even use completely different assets.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but knowing Rockstar they don't care what people think of their characters and it doesn't sway them in any way. GTA 6 could have 3 white guys if that is what Rockstar wants to do, and their do it and they know the game is going to sell alot either way
and they'll likely get the same amount of criticism as this game

are you saying people can't criticize things that sell well?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like there's plenty of choices for good characters in games that are white and male and really little amount for ones that are PoC or female or LGBT or even *shock* an intersting combo of them?? If they can write an "interesting" white male character what was stopping them make that character a women or poc or LGBT?
That is completely fair. What I see people take issue with is that the character being white and male automatically means it's a bad character

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm honestly really confused about what your point is. Is Rockstar having a 100% white male protagonist track record a good thing?

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Honestly OP got me hyped lots of talent is involved with the game. Bar the game being a technical disaster I think we have one solid looking title on our hands.
I agree. I thought the trailer was pretty cool and the bullet points listed in the OP sound awesome.

It's like a rule that every Star Wars thread needs to be filled with toxic waste. I would absolutely hate to work on this franchise, ever.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Underwhelming.
Single player games need some gameplay thrown in there upon reveal like GOW, Spider-Man, Days Gone etc for me. Find that more interesting.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
There's great people leading the project, so I remain hopeful (despite my indiference toward the universe, barring the original films).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all are nuts lol. How do you interact in public?

While we should be pushing for diversity im not sure moaning and groaning that a series that has been very inclusive and diverse having a white male lead after introducing a ton of characters of importance that weren't white is really the way to go about it.
Yes. He's a while male. That is the majority of protagonists. But look at all recent star wars media and I mean....is it not okay that there's a white dude for 1 video game?

I dont understand why you are getting so upset about this ? Most people just arent hyped about the MC.
Its not like people are boycotting Respawn/EA or burning their EA games.

Its a combination of a couple of factors for most people - doubt most people would even comment on the MC if we had gotten some kickass gameplay trailer...but from what we have seen, he is gonna be the focus of the initial trailer convo.

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
Cant fucking wait.

Its Canon, set after order 66, you play as a padawan just trying to survive, a female inquisitor hunting you down, it's got a decent team behind it, its fucking star wars, and God Damn if that music doesn't give me goosebumps......super hype.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Why even bother if that's what you planned to show.

You'd think game companies would know how to market a game by now

Maybe that's their plan all along. Market it in such a way that it gives away nothing, underwhelm, and then blow people away with a proper gameplay trailer at E3. Reminds me of the CoD teasers that upset people by not showing gameplay, and then when the MP (and sometimes SP) trailers are revealed, people go nuts.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool a bunch of boring cutscenes with a little bit of Star Wars flavor.

Star Wars "flavor" is overused and super simple at this point. I don't want to be beaten over the head with it. Seeing areas we haven't explored is cool. The idea that this guy works in a salvage yard is cool. Give me more grime and everyday life in the universe, because the movies are failing spectacularly at that.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with this. Pre-rendered footage vs in-game capture is completely different.

You're afford many luxuries with pre-rendered like turning of LODs, maxing texture resolutions and lighting complexity to name a few. Some even use completely different assets.
Sure, but often those improvements are undercut by compression artifacts to make those prerendered scenes fit on a disc, or them being scaled up past 1080p like on the Pro/X/PCs so they look worse overall. Even in engine cutscenes look a LOT better than actual in-game footage because you can do all the things you mentioned, just not quite to the extremes of prerendered but at least a lot higher than in game settings.

I agree that pre-rendered vs in game are massively different, but the post you quoted of mine didn't say otherwise. In-engine != In-game.

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
it's almost amazing how you suck out the fun outta of anything and everything ERA, you people sound really fun at parties

anyways, i hope the game is not too linear, maybe have some levels like in uncharted 4 where you feel some sense of actual freedom

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Another problem I have is the time period it's set in. Enough with the ot era. They've explored enough of it in the movies and games. Really wish they'd move away from it.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off with these CG trailers. I would rather you announce it, maybe some screenshots, and only show it when you have something to show. I play games, not CG. This trailer did nothing for me.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cant fucking wait.

Its Canon, set after order 66, you play as a padawan just trying to survive, a female inquisitor hunting you down, it's got a decent team behind it, its fucking star wars, and God Damn if that music doesn't give me goosebumps......super hype.
I fail to see how being "canon" in the current SW universe contex is any kind of a positive. All the interesting stuff got shuffled off into legends with just the bare bones being canon now.

I'd rather play the inquisitor honestly.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except you lot aren't even commenting on what you saw aside from Kal's gender and skin colour.

Like nobody is even talking about how fucking awesome it is to get a female Sith villain in this, nope, it's all about how white that dude is.
Who care's about a female sith villain? we've had plenty of those.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
That is completely fair. What I see people take issue with is that the character being white and male automatically means it's a bad character
It's decreased my excitement for it cus I enjoy seeing diverse characters, and as a women myself I prefer playing women characters. I find white, male character, especially leads, more boring as I've seen it so often. The character may still be well-written and interesting but it's very likely they could have had the same background and personality for the character if they made them a women or PoC.