• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of funny considering Lucasarts cancelled "1313" because it was very much that.
Despite how unexciting this trailer was, I still have more faith in Respawn making a fun game in the end than 1313, which while it had an interesting set/premise, looked like straight up Uncharted In Space.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I care about another Star War's story taking place between the prequels and the OT

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh, Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

I don't think it did? Or just very little as to be insignificant. Nevermind I'm wrong

Haha dude, the 2nd character is from Wolfenstein: TNC. I think both are indeed modeled after the same actress though.

Not Sekiro, our first trailer for that was the teaser at the game awards.

I think of this as a teaser trailer like we see for movies these days. Designed to make you want to see more, not think you've seen everything already.

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
If this was a trailer for a movie or TV series I'd be down.

But.... As a trailer for a game it gives me nothing. If it weren't for external information, I wouldn't even know what type of game this even is.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
IgMyx.gif

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
....is this supposed to be a bad thing?
Of all the stages of Lucasarts, by far my least favorite was when they just shoehorned other games wholesale into a Star Wars setting.

Force Unleashed! It's God of War... in Star Wars!
...which is why you can't kill an AT-ST with a lightsaber without doing a QTE

Galactic Battlegrounds! It's Age of Empires... in Star Wars!
...which is why you begin each battle by sending out droids to cut down trees for wood carbon

I want my Star Wars games to be about Star Wars, not other games I already own wrapped up in a Star Wars skin. They're like total conversion mods that are sold to you.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Not Sekiro, our first trailer for that was the teaser at the game awards.

I think of this as a teaser trailer like we see for movies these days. Designed to make you want to see more, not think you've seen everything already.
The Sekiro teaser was like 20 seconds long, lol, to be fair.

This wasn't a teaser, it was a story trailer, which is fine... but I think most people know you can tell a great story in the SW universe. Can you make a fun SW game to play though? They didn't really answer that question, which became more and more frustrating as they kept harping on the gameplay of the game (that they didn't show) as they sat and talked about it at the event.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
the biggest question for me would be if there are dark side powers as well. I assume not because of the jedi theme/story, but that would be the first time in a star wars game with an original force sensitive protagonist where we could not have dark side powers and that would make me a bit sad.

the said in the stream that the lightsaber would reflect the protagonist, that could mean the dark side but it might just as well look more badass the stronger you get.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, you don't have to justify your own opinion because it seems to go against what the norm is in this thread.

The trailer looked brilliant, because it was. I'm hyped to see more.

I don't remember there really being a vibe of people telling others they can't like it. Maybe give this us vs them schtick a rest. Some people didn't like it, you did, it's perfectly fine. No need to start creating some bogus narrative.

the biggest question for me would be if there are dark side powers as well. I assume not because of the jedi theme/story, but that would be the first time in a star wars game with an original force sensitive protagonist where we could not have dark side powers and that would make me a bit sad.

the said in the stream that the lightsaber would reflect the protagonist, that could mean the dark side but it might just as well look more badass the stronger you get.

Wondering this myself. Really want to see what they're doing with the combat.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I can't get hyped for anything Star Wars anymore. I can definitely get hyped for a great singleplayer action game from the God of War 3 director though. Hope we see game play soon.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Window

Oct 27, 2017
So what is this game? An action RPG like Mass Effect? Or more like the Force Unleashed games?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm not counting a 20-sec teaser that shows nothing and not even the actual title (it didn't say "Sekiro"). I am referring to the first reveal of Sekiro itself, which had both story and gameplay.
Count whatever you want, that was the first trailer, lol. It did say Shadows die twice.

It really just underscores that there's a ton of different ways to debut a game. I'm not sure why people are losing their minds over this. Lol, people need to chill out, we will for sure see more by E3. Lots of time to make a decision before November.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Count whatever you want, that was the first trailer, lol. It did say Shadows die twice.

It really just underscores that there's a ton of different ways to debut a game.
Eh in that case do we count the logo display as a "reveal trailer" for Elder Scrolls VI? I wouldn't. Fallen Order wasn't a 20-sec clip teasing at the existence of a thing, it was a full trailer and labelled as "reveal trailer" too. I agree that people should stop expecting gameplay in trailers since, well, cinematic trailers have been a thing since forever, but I agree with the criticism against those trailers anyway and I do think any reveal trailer, "story" or not, should show gameplay. Lots of successful, story-driven games have done it, and have done well, too. I don't get why story-only trailers are still a thing.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Eh in that case do we count the logo display as a "reveal trailer" for Elder Scrolls VI? I wouldn't. Fallen Order wasn't a 20-sec clip teasing at the existence of a thing, it was a full trailer and labelled as "reveal trailer" too. I agree that people should stop expecting gameplay in trailers since, well, cinematic trailers have been a thing since forever, but I agree with the criticism against those trailers anyway and I do think any reveal trailer, "story" or not, should show gameplay. Lots of successful, story-driven games have done it, and have done well, too. I don't get why story-only trailers are still a thing.

Like I said, count whatever you want to count, lol.

As for no gameplay in the trailer, it's their game, let them introduce it however they want. I don't get why people are so furious about this. We will see gameplay way before it releases in November. As always the choice to buy or not buy will come down to us based on what they show us. If they don't show you enough to make you want the game, don't buy it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, count whatever you want to count, lol.

As for no gameplay in the trailer, it's their game, let them introduce it however they want. I don't get why people are so furious about this. We will see gameplay way before it releases in November. As always the choice to buy or not buy will come down to us based on what they show us. If they don't show you enough to make you want the game, don't buy it.

I think in this case, the issue is more that by not showing ANY gameplay, the entire discussion is about the (seemingly pretty bland) story and the divisive protagonist. They've given us nothing to talk about in the actual game, which is why we have the endless goddamn arguing instead.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I think in this case, the issue is more that by not showing ANY gameplay, the entire discussion is about the (seemingly pretty bland) story and the divisive protagonist. They've given us nothing to talk about in the actual game, which is why we have the endless goddamn arguing instead.

I'm dubious that gameplay would have muted the negativity of the people in this thread, tbh.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
After scouring various sites and social media outside of Era, it seems to be the whole "it looks good but don't trust EA" bickering. Some thinking EA learned their lesson from their past Star Wars games, while others just don't trust them. They really should have produced gameplay. It looks nice but that's all this game has going for it at the moment.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
EA:"Help me Respawn Entertainment, you are our only hope."

Well, no game play so I'm still rather careful and pessimistic, but I'm also not completely uninterested. Which is the biggest compliment I can give EA after Andromeda, Battlefront 2 and Anthem.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Some people here are so damn nitpicky and impossible to please. Nothing would have been good enough. Even if gameplay was shown we would still have the same shitty trash reactions. We get it, your edgy and you dont like things, your only living for the best of the best and anything less isn't worth the time of someone as holy as thou. Gtfoh it looked good and the team is solid. E3 is right around the corner I'm sure we will see gameplay then, this was a fan based presentation and tons of fans want to see story elements and how it fits Into the overall narrative. So much toxicity is sickening and it never changes smh.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Man I just can't bring myself to be excited or hyped over a seemingly unmemorable story-based game like this that's likely going to be over within 15 hours.

I really really wish they'd had a multiplayer in this game, cos now I can't justify getting it.
A lot of people wanted a Single-Player experience, interesting that some disagree.

Last edited: