• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But he doesn't smile

I'm not sure you want to see that.

giphy.gif

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
the biggest question for me would be if there are dark side powers as well. I assume not because of the jedi theme/story, but that would be the first time in a star wars game with an original force sensitive protagonist where we could not have dark side powers and that would make me a bit sad.

the said in the stream that the lightsaber would reflect the protagonist, that could mean the dark side but it might just as well look more badass the stronger you get.

It's a Jedi game so I'm not sure where the dark side fits wrt the protagonist tbh. But really, aside from lightning there's not a whole lot of powers in Star Wars canon that's been a dark side thing, right?

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Really excited about this tbh. The trailer was alright, enough to admire how good it visually looks and some interesting things here and there (I like that you've basically gotten used to a life in hiding and have a "regular" job; it also gives room for the Empire to grow and properly install itself in the galaxy).

Haven't watched Gotham, but I found the actor to be pretty nice and people who've seen him act seem to think he's good at it, so I'm excited. The character model looks a tad to clean what with the perfect hair and all, but that's just a nitpick. The clothing really design is honestly on point.

Honestly, a more thoughtful/meticulous lightsaber combat system is something I'm really looking forward to. A shame we didn't see gameplay, but it wasn't really a surprise.

They'll probably have a demo at E3 (I know they have no show this year, but EA still has a presence there iirc).

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I wonder when melee games will stsrt copying for honor's combat considering it's some of the best 3D weaponfighting there is

Deleted member 34618

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I would be more excited for this if Disney hadn't spent the past few years completely killing any interest I had in Star Wars.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird to me that Disney would greenlight another story about a young padawan, also named Cal, with a blue lightsaber, who survives Order 66... are we sure this isn't Kanan??

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird to me that Disney would greenlight another story about a young padawan, also named Cal, with a blue lightsaber, who survives Order 66... are we sure this isn't Kanan??

Again, that story is literally already told. Unless Disney is also okay with retconning in that Kanan secretly tried to rebuild the order before he ever met Hera, (itself years before meeting Ezra), and had presumably defeated at least one other inquisitor before Rebels started.

Edit: Also, you know, his appearance

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, blue lightsabers are super common. It's not like it's some really unique saber color.

I was just listing commonalities. There were other things I noticed like the mining location.

Again, that story is literally already told. Unless Disney is also okay with retconning in that Kanan secretly tried to rebuild the order before he ever met Hera, (itself years before meeting Ezra), and had presumably defeated at least one other inquisitor before Rebels started.

Edit: Also, you know, his appearance

But like you said, that story has been told... so why start with the exact same premise?
Kanan's appearance varies in the comics, and Disney seems to be fine with retconning stuff.
I don't know, I just saw the trailer, immediately thought of Kanan, and then wondered why they would tell the same story with a different "Cal".

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I was just listing commonalities. There were other things I noticed like the mining location.

But like you said, that story has been told... so why start with the exact same premise?
Kanan's appearance varies in the comics, and Disney seems to be fine with retconning stuff.
I don't know, I just saw the trailer, immediately thought of Kanan, and then wondered why they would tell the same story with a different "Cal".

Because 'that premise' is the generic origin story of Jedi; surviving the purge. It wasn't invented with Kanan, who himself at the time quite clearly on more than a few now defunct characters for inspiration.

Also I don't think Kanan's appearance has varied by that much, right? Especially not when he's an adult.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
*Rendered in Unreal Engine 4. Not actual gameplay = not interested for now
Guessing they'll wait till E3 for gameplay unveil

True and I don't like not ingame footage. It tells nothing about the game view/play.

Im also not so interested anymore in realistic current gen gfx. It's time for realistic next gen gfx

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Because 'that premise' is the generic origin story of Jedi; surviving the purge. It wasn't invented with Kanan, who himself at the time quite clearly on more than a few now defunct characters for inspiration.

Also I don't think Kanan's appearance has varied by that much, right? Especially not when he's an adult.

But only a handful of them survive, and two of the padawans just happen to both be named Cal. Disney had to have known that people would make that association.
I'm looking at the comic right now and his young padawan self looks a lot like the game character. His older incarnations - not so much. Although, the Disney Infinity character I had of him did have reddish brown hair.

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
Being burned by EA as much as I have been in the past I am more pessimistic. My only saving grace is Respawn's attachment and what they have done.

Is this confirmed 3rd person? I have never seen a respawn 3rd person game so that also puts me off. I will hope for the best as SW is one of my favorite franchises.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
There was such a good thread on redheads early in Era's first year.

Not to say yeah, of course there's bullying, but how some made being a redhead is equivalent to being a person of color. It was hilarious.
Actually, bro, I'm Samoan.

I'm a Pacific Islander (if you're not familiar with us, think Hawaiian??), with red hair, and you are ignorant if you think that this is a race thing.

Know your things before you type the things.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this is going to show up at Microsoft's conference this year since neither EA or Sony are doing one.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Weren't you supposed to get KOTOR free for watching this on mixer? I watched on my Xbox and logged on but dont see how to get the game anywhere? Anyone get it and how?
i already had the game so i didn't bother, but I think you had to watch it live

dunno what else you had to do, there might've been an on-screen prompt to redeem it

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Being burned by EA as much as I have been in the past I am more pessimistic. My only saving grace is Respawn's attachment and what they have done.

Is this confirmed 3rd person? I have never seen a respawn 3rd person game so that also puts me off. I will hope for the best as SW is one of my favorite franchises.

Yes, it's confirmed third-person.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
The main character is Blandy McBlandface unfortunately, but otherwise everything else seems OK. I know they picked a real actor, but I'm saying that I wish they'd picked a different real actor for the role. I guess in a narrative sense it helps if the main character has a totally forgettable face and design, since that would play into them being able to survive longer than others, but it seems like a poor choice from a game design point of view :)

I'm disappointed that there was absolutely zero gameplay, but I guess that this far from release they're probably not really sure how the game is actually going to end up looking anyway, and People Of The Internet™ do seem to lose their shit if so much as a puddle changes between a super early trailer and the final release. That's why we can't have nice things :(

The trailer is in engine.
Is the engine officially confirmed to be UE4, or is that still just speculation based on the job postings?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
the biggest question for me would be if there are dark side powers as well. I assume not because of the jedi theme/story, but that would be the first time in a star wars game with an original force sensitive protagonist where we could not have dark side powers and that would make me a bit sad.
Troubled male protagonist who struggles with the darkside is pretty overplayed at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
God of war, horizon zero dawn, sekiro, nioh, Wolfenstein new collosus all revealed with gameplay

Sure but thats not the norm - usually you get a cinematic trailer maeb wiht a couple of secomds of gameplay at the end.

I think its because we all knew the game was coming people expected more from a reveal trailer.

Also, patience isn't exactly a strong point in ERA :)

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Troubled male protagonist who struggles with the darkside is pretty overplayed at this point.
i mean, the force as a concept is kind of inherently based on struggling, either to remain balanced or to exert your rage. taking all nuance away from it and turning it into Literally Just Telekinesis is kind of a wasted opportunity. I don't want like an infamous-style system where you unlock a different skill tree or anything, I just mean the story shouldn't discount the obvious issue of having everything taken from you yet not allowing yourself to become vengeful and embittered by it.

Something interesting in the later years of the now not canon books was the sentiment in the far future that the Force was actually a hindrance, because of the way it amplifies and feeds into negative thoughts. The idea that a person might have just had a few bad years if they hadn't been force-sensitive and instead drawn into absolute hatred of everything.

idk. I think there's value in stories about people being tempted by dark places.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
i mean, the force as a concept is kind of inherently based on struggling, either to remain balanced or to exert your rage. taking all nuance away from it and turning it into Literally Just Telekinesis is kind of a wasted opportunity. I don't want like an infamous-style system where you unlock a different skill tree or anything, I just mean the story shouldn't discount the obvious issue of having everything taken from you yet not allowing yourself to become vengeful and embittered by it.

Something interesting in the later years of the now not canon books was the sentiment in the far future that the Force was actually a hindrance, because of the way it amplifies and feeds into negative thoughts. The idea that a person might have just had a few bad years if they hadn't been force-sensitive and instead drawn into absolute hatred of everything.

idk. I think there's value in stories about people being tempted by dark places.
I think you can portray struggle without having a protagonist who's tempted by the literal dark side with the "will he or won't he turn evil." angle. I'm definitely curious about the story. This perspective and period of time has usually only been told in comics and stuff.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Honestly I'm just waiting for the catch to this game...
Mtx post launch? (EA tweeted no iirc), is the campaign super short? dlc pre-order bs?

Basically where is the long term monetisation EA is obsessed with?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still amazed how we didn't get an alien protagonist in the perfect game to get that. If not in a Star Wars game then where? Or a character creator. Star Wars has so many interesting species and a lot of the Jedi are unique and yet this game ended up with almost a visual cliche as a jedi.

Well, maybe the rest of the game will compensate for it, maybe the story will be a surprising one and not a rehash of existing padawan stories. Strange that even for a story trailer it doesn't really make the story pop out that much.
We'll see, probably the game will be better than its promotion.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I see is a serious concept problem.

It would be hard to say a Star Wars game if the lightsaber, that sith character, and two stormtrooper were not in the trailer. Everything else, included the protagonist, does not appear to belong to the concept.

Although the directors changed, they kept Star Wars' own design and feel. This is the most important issue when creating a Star Wars product. And I can't see that in the Fallen Order.

Last edited:

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
All I see is a serious concept problem.

It would be hard to say a Star Wars game if the lightsaber, that sith character, and two stormtrooper were not in the trailer. Everything else, included the protagonist, does not appear to belong to this concept.

Although the directors changed, they kept Star Wars' own design and feel. This is the most important issue when creating a Star Wars product. And I can't see that in the Fallen Order.

Yes, it's rather a mix of Assassin Creed and Watch Dogs in a futuristic setting than Star Wars. Hopefully that will change when they will show more outdoor scenery like in that concept art leaked first - planets. Because now looks rather small in scope.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
to be fair, you know who else we thought was going to be a generic white guy and turned out he was one of the greatest protagonists ever

urdzc5vynem7yl4tskvc.jpg
All this talk reminds me of the reveal of the original Uncharted. Before Nathan Drake was "Nathan Drake"....based on the early release screenshots prior to gameplay reveal I remember everyone dismissing him as boring boob-less Tomb Raider.

Hope we get this wrong again. I have the utmost faith in a combat designer from the God of War series, a studio that crafted an amazing campaign with Titanfall, and a Director who helped craft some of the most epic set pieces in all of gaming.

1*vJMdgv4iB4c8fjEvjUKU7A.gif

KBLV6e.gif

OpjNe9b.gif

Everybody have some faith....this hopefully gonna be the Star Wars game of our dreams!

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Eh.

This did nothing for me at all. I feel that EA/Disney should have gone all in on a more diverse protagonist than the bland, CW type lead we got.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017

I hope it's 3rd person, Respawn has veterans from Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica (Stig Asmussen who directed what's possibly one of the greatest final chapter: God of War3, is also the director of Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order), Kojima Productions to name a few. They've got the talent that's needed to pull off a spectacular 3rd person action adventure game.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Last edited:

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All this talk reminds me of the reveal of the original Uncharted. Before Nathan Drake was "Nathan Drake"....based on the early release screenshots prior to gameplay reveal I remember everyone dismissing him as boring boob-less Tomb Raider.

Hope we get this wrong again. I have the utmost faith in a combat designer from the God of War series, a studio that crafted an amazing campaign with Titanfall, and a Director who helped craft some of the most epic set pieces in all of gaming.

1*vJMdgv4iB4c8fjEvjUKU7A.gif

KBLV6e.gif

OpjNe9b.gif

Everybody have some faith....this hopefully gonna be the Star Wars game of our dreams!
Big set pieces doesn't make good game. I thought GoW 3 was the weakest game in the main line GoW. Great gameplay and maybe decent story make good games like Jedi Knight and KOTOR.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Star Wars has dozens of alien races and genders and the Respawn chose a white male protagonist played by Gotham's The Joker.

That's one of two complaints about the game so far.

The other is no gameplay being shown off.