• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Amy Hennig reacts to Single-player Jedi: Fallen Order announce, reveals more of her cancelled single-player Star Wars game
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...cancelled-single-player-star-wars-game-ragtag

"I don't know why the change of heart happened, because that was very clearly not an acceptable plan when we were working on Ragtag! "
Damn, that sucks, or there's a multiplayer component that we're simply not being told about in the pipeline...

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
All this talk reminds me of the reveal of the original Uncharted. Before Nathan Drake was "Nathan Drake"....based on the early release screenshots prior to gameplay reveal I remember everyone dismissing him as boring boob-less Tomb Raider.

Hope we get this wrong again. I have the utmost faith in a combat designer from the God of War series, a studio that crafted an amazing campaign with Titanfall, and a Director who helped craft some of the most epic set pieces in all of gaming.

1*vJMdgv4iB4c8fjEvjUKU7A.gif

KBLV6e.gif

OpjNe9b.gif

Everybody have some faith....this hopefully gonna be the Star Wars game of our dreams!
your dreams*

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Looks really interesting. I do wish they'd make another game in the series that goes back to the earlier days of the Sith and Jedi, like KOTOR. Maybe one day...

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Bleh, "In engine" is pretty much no different than CG nowadays.

Sucks they didn't show gameplay.

Jan 31, 2018
Welcome to AAA gaming reveal trailers. I knew this wouldn't have any gameplay when it was announced, and they emphasized "story driven", and I bet the gameplay will be like every other AAA cinematic third person game out there. The idea of a game with Jedi Academy type gameplay is dead.

Yeah true story. The panel was kind of interesting, but overall was pretty meh. Maybe they'll show a big slice at E3.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
TFU2 was one of the worst games I played last gen. But seeing Stig's name gives me some assurance atleast.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this tweet on the Anthem subreddit and couldn't help but chuckle.

thulnre28ls21.jpg
If we're to believe reports, EA lets Bioware and respawn do more or less what they want, so it's not that EA specifically ordered this, but at this point, maybe it'd have been better if they HAD played the tyrannical publisher and just made them do the thing their both good at.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
If we're to believe reports, EA lets Bioware and respawn do more or less what they want, so it's not that EA specifically ordered this, but at this point, maybe it'd have been better if they HAD played the tyrannical publisher and just made them do the thing their both good at.

Well actually, BioWare Austin have pitched Star Wars games including another KOTOR. But, they were rejected. Likely by Lucasfilm as they are clearly reserving the KOTOR space for film/tv. Also, Amy Henning just recently commented about how the whole SP focus, no micro-transaction bent was definitely NOT a thing when she was working on Ragtag. She speculates that it's a change in strategy but that Fallen Order was also likely helped by: 1) It being in development before EA acquired Respawn and 2) Vince Zampella protecting the game as he is on the Executive Team at EA and thus can protect his team's projects in ways other studios cannot.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Well actually, BioWare Austin have pitched Star Wars games including another KOTOR. But, they were rejected. Likely by Lucasfilm as they are clearly reserving the KOTOR space for film/tv. Also, Amy Henning just recently commented about how the whole SP focus, no micro-transaction bent was definitely NOT a thing when she was working on Ragtag. She speculates that it's a change in strategy but that Fallen Order was also likely helped by: 1) It being in development before EA acquired Respawn and 2) Vince Zampella protecting the game as he is on the Executive Team at EA and thus can protect his team's projects in ways other studios cannot.
Thanks for the explanation. So it's more that EA wanted a live service game from both studios, but only Respawn has the means to act with some agency in the company.

Nov 8, 2017
I noticed that online retailers are selling the standard and deluxe versions for $10 off. Is this a common thing now and I've just not been paying attention?

Last edited:

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Thanks for the explanation. So it's more that EA wanted a live service game from both studios, but only Respawn has the means to act with some agency in the company.

That and Respawn's game had as far as we know a relatively smooth development and a pitch that was an easy sell. (Play as a secret Jedi)

Project Ragtag had a turbulent start to development, (although that was supposedly fixed before it was cancelled). It was also a crime story set within the SW universe. No Jedi, No Wookies, No beloved characters and No Gameplay innovations. Despite being exactly what it was sold as "Star Wars Uncharted" it turns out EA didn't want that game. They Wanted Star Wars FIFA, or a Han Solo game and they were getting Neither

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland

Respawn had smoother development, a key selling/marketing point (a game about a Jedi) and they weren't owned by EA at a time when they started working on Fallen Order. They probably had more freedom in pursuing their projects than Visceral, which was one of EA's internal studios.

Project Ragtag had more rockier development, lacked clear vision and didn't had a key selling/marketing point. They also made an entry in a best-selling franchise (Battlefield Hardline) which sold below their projections. When it was rebooted into an open-world game, reason of cancellation wasn't really about a quality or being a singleplayer game, but time and resources that were required to do it right.