• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
This might be the first game to do this? Games like Borderlands 3, Spider-Man Remastered and Final Fantasy VII Intergrade require to upload the save to their server on the PS4 version before downloading it on the PS5 one.

Jedi Fallen Order only requires for the PS4 save to be on the PS5 system storage:

On Playstation 5, ensure your console has the PS4 save data on system storage (either from previous PS4 version playtime on the console, download from Cloud storage, or transfer via USB stick). From there, there will be a "Import PS4 System Save Data" prompt on the start-up screen. Simply select that option and you will be able to utilize your older save data.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Wonder if Sony changed something on their end or Respawn figured something out. Having to upload saves is a chore.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Like you said in another thread I wonder if sony updated their API to expose the save data to the native game, and help with conversion. I wouldnt be shocked if this is how it works going forward.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Like you said in another thread I wonder if sony updated their API to expose the save data to the native game, and help with conversion. I wouldnt be shocked if this is how it works going forward.
That would be great, but maybe the devs put in the effort. Regardless this is great news.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I would put money on that, "reading ps4 saves" would probably be lower importance in the SDK

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
What's the closest PS5 upgrade? Metro Exodus? Very curious to see if other games do this. This'll be great news. I wanna play Yakuza 7 on PS5 lol

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
so confusing as to why Crash and FF7 etc work the way they do then. I have had to walk several friends through the FF7 process just as an example and they were absolutely mystified lol. It's not a reasonable thing to expect a casual user to be able to do.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah I think even Mortal Kombat 11 did it. So I wonder why some have to do the cloud upload

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
*looks at his FF7R PS4 save with disgust*

For real ..

tenor.gif

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I managed to help a friend get a PS5 and they are in the middle of Yakuza Like a Dragon and I feel bad they are unable to take advantage of the hardware without starting over.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's good to see considering how this cross gen stuff on PS5 is a pile of garbage right now.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I had copped the game digitally on sale but never played it - can I just go to the PSN store and download the PS5 version?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Game changer. The old system was so busted. My Borderlands save download is still broken and Gearbox doesn't care.

Yeah I think even Mortal Kombat 11 did it. So I wonder why some have to do the cloud upload

I don't think MK11 read saves. I think a lot of the MK11 stuff was stored server-wise and it just used that.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
At first I thought it's Sony improving something, but then someone mentioned in anothe thread that this wouldn't make sense, since FF7R uses the awful old way of converting saves. So my guess is that the devs did this by themselves. Can someone test, if the save transfer is possible without the consoles connected to the internet?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought it's Sony improving something, but then someone mentioned in anothe thread that this wouldn't make sense, since FF7R uses the awful old way of converting saves. So my guess is that the devs did this by themselves. Can someone test, if the save transfer is possible without the consoles connected to the internet?

There's zero chance that Respawn is doing anything that Sony doesn't allow them to do. Something must have changed on the backend or there was an SDK update. FF7 might have finalized their implementation before this update

And this would have to happen within the PS5 application, not network. The console doesn't access save data, applications do that so its not some network feature

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
That would be great, but maybe the devs put in the effort. Regardless this is great news.
yeah, I think it could be either or no clue lol. Maybe we'll see in some more native conversions what happened. I'm sure a lot of devs complained and/or what happened was with Covid etc certain features prob still needed some baking, I remember a while back it an insider was saying the OS was about 6 months behind. I wouldnt be shocked the SDK was in some ways not having everything there.
I would put money on that, "reading ps4 saves" would probably be lower importance in the SDK
Yup I agree.
What's the closest PS5 upgrade? Metro Exodus? Very curious to see if other games do this. This'll be great news. I wanna play Yakuza 7 on PS5 lol
Unsure. Myself lol.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
There's zero chance that Respawn is doing anything that Sony doesn't allow them to do. Something must have changed on the backend or there was an SDK update. FF7 might have finalized their implementation before this update
I thought more along the line of, Sony has the poor solution everyone can use. But they don't prevent someone building their own solution. However time is a crucial ressource, so most just don't bother.

PS: It just crossed my mind that Fallen Order is unique compared to all other games in one particular point. It got a gen9 Aware patch beforehand, so another possibility would be that they changed something with the patch that allows this?

At the end of the day, we are all guessing and I like to know what happened here. Let's hope this is something other developers will do going forward. Downloading PS4 versions to update your savegame is insanity.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the way the save system on PS systems work, it can only read a limited amount of SKUs, so if there was only a few different ones for this game, then it'll be fine.

Same reason why Witcher 3 GOTY couldn't read base game saves because they included DLCs on the disc.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Wait you have to do what to transfer FF7 saves?? I don't even have my ps4 anymore. This is suspect.

jedi order tho keeps trying to get me to replay it. Jerks.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
And this would have to happen within the PS5 application, not network. The console doesn't access save data, applications do that so its not some network feature
Depends. I remember Dragon Age could import 360 saves of DA:I from the cloud (as in EA server and not Xbox/PSN iirc), hence me asking if it needs internet, because I wonder if you even need to have the PS4 save on the PS5 or wether it just download the save.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
this is my own theory:

It's interesting for sure. But it could very well be that Sony offers some kind of standard/default saving system (which is compatible with PS5); but that it's also an option to implement a more customised version (which isnt compatible) and if you do that; it's up to the publisher/studio to make sure saves can be transfered accross.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I thought more along the line of, Sony has the poor solution everyone can use. But they don't prevent someone building their own solution. However time is a crucial ressource, so most just don't bother.

PS: It just crossed my mind that Fallen Order is unique compared to all other games in one particular point. It got a gen9 Aware patch beforehand, so another possibility would be that they changed something with the patch that allows this?

At the end of the day, we are all guessing and I like to know what happened here. Let's hope this is something other developers will do going forward. Downloading PS4 versions to update your savegame is insanity.

Sony would have to explicitly allow PS5 applications to read native PS4 save data, again this isn't something a dev can just do themselves. The network transfer just does the conversion on the dev side from within both applications, which was the solution before. Maybe just a stopgap? I guess we'll see in the next few months

But yeah this is absolutely a better solution and would instantly remove the only gripe I have about their cross-gen implementation if this is the new standard

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
My thought was always that the system would encrypt the save data in a way that only the game ID that created it can use. Is it maybe possible to have a game from a publisher access it using that same GameID in its code? Or maybe it's a system level thing? The latter might be possible, since I know playing Genshin Impact on the same system any account playing the game shares the system settings for minimap, voice settings, etc (wife uses English while I use Japanese so it's weird playing on the living room console).

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The latter might be possible, since I know playing Genshin Impact on the same system any account playing the game shares the system settings for minimap, voice settings, etc (wife uses English while I use Japanese so it's weird playing on the living room console).
I am pretty sure that games like Genshin just upload the data to their own server and synch it with the client (PS5 for example). In FF14 for instance you can upload character and settings between PS4, PC and PS5 with ease.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Having the ability to convert PS4 saves on the PS5 version of the game is much more convenient than having to do that from the PS4 version (like FF7R) for sure.

Does this one make new PS5 save file or is it using the PS4 save as is?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Game changer. The old system was so busted. My Borderlands save download is still broken and Gearbox doesn't care.

I don't think MK11 read saves. I think a lot of the MK11 stuff was stored server-wise and it just used that.
Yeah, MK11 essentially had your save server-side as the game tracks all your activity.
What's really baffling is that Avengers somehow didn't and required an upload.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good step, I wonder how many games will go back and update their save transfers to support this new feature.

Probably also a good indication that Sony are 6+ months behind where they would optimally have been on their OS development because this should have been there for launch. Wouldn't be surprised if we see PS5 save backup to USB soon.