• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I gotta say the puzzles and backtracking are sapping a bit of the fun for me. Stopping for tonight, will probably finish it in a couple of days at this rate.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Just fought the Ninth Sister.... OMG, soooo wonderful. Other than the bugs, this game truly is turning into a dream come true (^____^)

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
Isn't that the same lady who played one of the main characters in Wolfenstein The New Colossus? I'm pretty sure she is, damn good actress there. She really knows how to project her emotions through her face. I wonder if she's classically trained. Really impressive motion capture tech too.
She's also in the new Call of Duty campaign. She's pretty great.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game tonight.

I probably took a long ass time to finish, i backtracked sometimes for nothing and i played most of the game, like a good 80% without really looking at the map for %explored, secrets, chests etc, so i had to make long long runs on each planets to complete.

Story could have used more developement. Could have used more drama, Cal got it easy, he could have used a bit more punishement, pain. Luke losing an arm adds to the drama and myth around him. I wish characters would have been used more than just banter around the ship.

Enough with negatives.. I found the visuals/art style to nail it. The planets were fascinating imo, the exploration was cool, especially the optional places. Cal had a good balance of skills without ending up being an edgy Jedi. He plays "slow", sometimes frustratingly, but its refreshing compared to previous jedi god mode games.

I hope they make a better sequel. Take the art team and combat and make a more complex game. I wish also there was more trashy cities/dump like the intro, it was almost cyberpunk in look. There's not enough of that in Star wars games.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
Just finished the game. I loved it. I started at Jedi Master difficulty and bumped down to Jedi Knight. Knight difficulty was the sweet spot for me. The combat was good, but not quite Souls good enough to necessitate a hard difficulty run. Also, the loading times are not conducive to it either. That all said, story was great with amazing set pieces and I thought the characters were well done too. Can't wait for the next one.

Deleted member 37303

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 2, 2018
I had zero interest in this until tonight. Never saw a single trailer or read any previews. Star Wars just isn't my thing. Then my more casual gamer friend bought this and was having just a horrible time. Constantly dying. Making zero progress. Stuck on some toad lizard thing on the first planet. So I went by his place this evening to see if I could help him out a bit and was shocked at the amount of FROM Software influence in this. The parrying wasn't as tight as in Sekiro but still felt good. The shortcuts, meditation/bonfire, and healing stims/estus bits. Resting resetting enemies. I'm a huge FROM fan so this all felt so natural to me. I immediately breezed through that first planet and through most of the second until it crashed and called it a night.

Came home and immediately bought it on PSN. So what's the "______ Souls" name for this? I think I called it Lightsaber Souls while we were playing earlier.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Finished my playthrough of Force Unleashed 2 and jumped on to this. The sense of wonderment and presentation of the world feels like the first time I watched Star Wars as a kid. I'm really impressed with how much it pulls you in.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Just went to Dathomir. Holy fuck that Guardian Ape wanna-be does not fuck around on Grandmaster.

I wish I could fine-tune the difficulty so that the parry window was the same but the damage was lesser. Unfortunately, lowering it to Jedi Master means massively increasing the parry window, it seems.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just went to Dathomir. Holy fuck that Guardian Ape wanna-be does not fuck around on Grandmaster.

I wish I could fine-tune the difficulty so that the parry window was the same but the damage was lesser. Unfortunately, lowering it to Jedi Master means massively increasing the parry window, it seems.
Difficulty sliders would be awesome. Wonder how hard that would be to patch in.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last boss fight feels impossible. Every tactic i attempt i get blown right through and i cant for the life of me get down the parry timing

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game and got the platinum! Overall really enjoyed it and it will probably find its way onto my top 5 for the year. Man, the last chunk of this game was killer and the final segment was pretty much perfect for me.

I luckily did not encounter a single glitch/bug while playing, but geez the random loading while entering some areas was annoying! I'm expecting big things from a sequel and hopefully we play as Merrin; she is great.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Which one is that again?

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just beat the game and got the platinum! Overall really enjoyed it and it will probably find its way onto my top 5 for the year. Man, the last chunk of this game was killer and the final segment was pretty much perfect for me.

I luckily did not encounter a single glitch/bug while playing, but geez the random loading while entering some areas was annoying! I'm expecting big things from a sequel and hopefully we play as Merrin; she is great.

COOP single player game, one as Merrin one as Cal.

Hnnnng.

Would be awesome.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that was fantastic.

With another few months of development for performance and gameplay refinements, this would've been my GOTY.

I look forward to another playthrough when it's received some more patches.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

If you figure out the parry timing they become one of the quickest fights in the game. There are some really aggressive enemies that serve as skill checks that reward you with flashy kills if you prove you've figured out parrying.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
The last boss fight feels impossible. Every tactic i attempt i get blown right through and i cant for the life of me get down the parry timing
I absolutely hated this fight, I died very rarely and had 0 issues with almost every boss and this one killed me tons.
The ground slam is ridiculous, the first time I played her I almost beat her and she spammed the fuck out of it. Flash grenade into unblockables, not being able to target the droid sometimes, etc.
made the fight frustrating as hell.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat the game the other night on Jedi Master. Loved every second of it - apart from the not-so-infrequent glitch on animations and such. The game was a serious blast.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
If you figure out the parry timing they become one of the quickest fights in the game. There are some really aggressive enemies that serve as skill checks that reward you with flashy kills if you prove you've figured out parrying.
Yeah I kinda figured and tried parrying Sekiro-style but every time I'd miss the 2nd or 3rd one and get utterly demolished. Gah. Kinda why I wish there was a setting between Jedi Master and Grandmaster, that still has the narrow parry window but doesn't OHKO me if I miss one... ;_;

Oct 27, 2017
I was having some fun in the first portion of the game, but from the middle and around Dathomir I started to lose interest. It's a Frankenstein's monster of a game that borrows elements from other critically acclaimed titles, but doesn't implement those elements nearly as well. It also doesn't feel like it has it's own identity as a consequence. Oh well.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda why I wish there was a setting between Jedi Master and Grandmaster, that still has the narrow parry window but doesn't OHKO me if I miss one... ;_;
Agreed, this difficulty would be perfect. I'd love a Dishonored 2-style custom difficulty option where you could set those parameters to whatever you want

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Finished the game tonight.

I probably took a long ass time to finish, i backtracked sometimes for nothing and i played most of the game, like a good 80% without really looking at the map for %explored, secrets, chests etc, so i had to make long long runs on each planets to complete.

Story could have used more developement. Could have used more drama, Cal got it easy, he could have used a bit more punishement, pain. Luke losing an arm adds to the drama and myth around him. I wish characters would have been used more than just banter around the ship.

Enough with negatives.. I found the visuals/art style to nail it. The planets were fascinating imo, the exploration was cool, especially the optional places. Cal had a good balance of skills without ending up being an edgy Jedi. He plays "slow", sometimes frustratingly, but its refreshing compared to previous jedi god mode games.

I hope they make a better sequel. Take the art team and combat and make a more complex game. I wish also there was more trashy cities/dump like the intro, it was almost cyberpunk in look. There's not enough of that in Star wars games.

I agree with you on the combat. What I saw was a good start but I think the combat could have been a little deeper. That being said counters were deeply satisfying. But with countering being such a major component to the game I would have liked to see more animations.

There are a lot of cyberpunk worlds in the old Star Wars titles. Bounty Hunter, Episode I/II Racer, Jedi Power Battles/etc. all have a heavy presence on Coruscant, imperial star ships, etc. If you play the Force Unleashed titles, you'll notice nearly the entire world has a dark palette to it. I really enjoyed the open, colorful worlds with archaic ruins. It really reminded me of visiting outer realm planets and agrarian worlds in KotOR.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Played a few hours and had to make this in Photoshop LEL
I like this game, but it borrows a lot from other titles without the same level of polish and depth.
78963456_2618857868194111_6609201584683352064_n.jpg

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
I was rushing to get to the ending, got frustrated with the combat and didn't feel like learning parry windows for everything during and after Dathomir so I spammed
force slow, double lightsaber strike, stim pack (with the force regeneration upgrade)
Made the final boss trivial on Jedi Master.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I find it interesting that people want to change the difficulty so much in this game, but if it were a FROM game they'd probably never even mention the difficulty. They'd just know it's hard and that's the end of it. Is it because they allow you to change things that it is a major talking point? If they had simply created the game with a default difficulty that was "easier" and added a New Game+ that was hard as nails, would that have alleviated this discussion domination of difficulty?

It's certainly been interesting to read all the people commenting on it.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Except for the super fast ground attack (which is difficult to avoid, since you want to be close to the boss), the attack is generally easy, parry as soon as it starts, if succeed, prepare to parry again, up to 3 times, and counter with your special move.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Be aggressive. When they leap into the air to do the ground pound, full strength Force Push them. Keep attacking and keep using full strength Force Pushes to interrupt their big attacks. It'll usually wipe half their stamina bar out as well, making it easier to break their guard and do real damage.

That's how I did it on the hardest difficulty. It was pretty fun even considering the combat clearly isn't designed to handle such aggressive enemies.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
So, somehow I never noticed that the map shows you how many secrets and how much exploration you've done in each segment of the map.

When I found that, I checked out the planets, and realized I had 100%'d three of them, just from fucking around, looking for things.

I wasn't going to worry about that, but I only really have one planet to finish up, so I think I'm going to focus on that before finishing the game.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I was having some fun in the first portion of the game, but from the middle and around Dathomir I started to lose interest. It's a Frankenstein's monster of a game that borrows elements from other critically acclaimed titles, but doesn't implement those elements nearly as well. It also doesn't feel like it has it's own identity as a consequence. Oh well.

Yup I started losing interest about the same area. The combat is getting extremely repetitive, especially once you get the parrying spam down. Don't think I'll be finishing this one. I just started The Last Guardian and it's sucking me away from this.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
I find it interesting that people want to change the difficulty so much in this game, but if it were a FROM game they'd probably never even mention the difficulty. They'd just know it's hard and that's the end of it. Is it because they allow you to change things that it is a major talking point? If they had simply created the game with a default difficulty that was "easier" and added a New Game+ that was hard as nails, would that have alleviated this discussion domination of difficulty?

But why do you care so much, I guess is my question? Are you not aware other people have differing levels of skill and patience, free time and interest in "getting good" at a specific video game?

As for your question about From games - isn't it at least possible may gamers that bounced off Dark Souls or Sekiro may have been scared off of Jedi until they found out that they could adjust the difficulty on the fly?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017

Difficulty settings is all about balancing. FromSoft's games have only one setting (with potential in-game modifiers like summoning, the Company of Champions, Kuro's charm, etc.), but it's very, very tightly crafted and balanced, fine-tuned with every encounter.

Jedi has a different approach, which is to offer a multitude of settings. That's great! Except that it's a challenge of its own to get all the settings right. If you have one level that's fairly trivial and the next one is a huge leap, you have a problem. With multiple difficulty settings, good game design is all about finding that right balance and escalation between levels. Otherwise you end up with a less satisfying experience.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Difficulty settings is all about balancing. FromSoft's games have only one setting (with potential in-game modifiers like summoning, the Company of Champions, Kuro's charm, etc.), but it's very, very tightly crafted and balanced, fine-tuned with every encounter.

Jedi has a different approach, which is to offer a multitude of settings. That's great! Except that it's a challenge of its own to get all the settings right. If you have one level that's fairly trivial and the next one is a huge leap, you have a problem. With multiple difficulty settings, good game design is all about finding that right balance and escalation between levels. Otherwise you end up with a less satisfying experience.
Right, and people are complaining that they can't find the right group of settings, so something is obviously wrong here.

Also, are From's games that tightly crafted and balanced? We do have the whole Sekiro thing where a reviewer cheated to finish the game. Lots of folks really didn't like Sekiro, and difficulty was to blame.

Scott Lufkin Yes, many people bounce off the Souls games, mainly because not every game is made for every player even if it might be a masterpiece of design and execution.

Fallen Order seems like it's definitely in a jack of all trades and master of none place among the people who have played it, to the point it actively upsets some players, and I think this variable difficulty may shoulder most of the blame. Also, since I've followed this game since long before its release, the biggest reason most people weren't interested on this board specifically is because they didn't even know what the game was and never bothered to find out until it was almost here. Star Wars games were considered junk before Fallen Order arrived.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
Yes, many people bounce off the Souls games, mainly because not every game is made for every player even if it might be a masterpiece of design and execution.

That wasn't actually my point, but yes, many players did indeed bounce off souls. My point was, since you said "I find it interesting that people want to change the difficulty so much in this game, but if it were a FROM game they'd probably never even mention the difficulty." my point was simply that many folks that did NOT play or couldn't get into the FROM games might be able to now enjoy Fallen Order due to the existence of malleable difficulty settings. I don't see difficulty options as causing any issues at all - except when someone claims a person putting them on Story mode is not a "true gamer", whatever the hell that's supposed to mean, or otherwise tries to shame someone for not "getting gud".

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
DaveLong You're reading too much into this. I've mentioned this because I think Jedi Master vs Grandmaster doesn't have the greatest of balancing, it has nothing to do with hating the game or SW games or whatever (I was hyped for Fallen Order since the first trailer, myself).

Oct 27, 2017
That wasn't actually my point, but yes, many players did indeed bounce off souls. My point was, since you said "I find it interesting that people want to change the difficulty so much in this game, but if it were a FROM game they'd probably never even mention the difficulty." my point was simply that many folks that did NOT play or couldn't get into the FROM games might be able to now enjoy Fallen Order due to the existence of malleable difficulty settings. I don't see difficulty options as causing any issues at all - except when someone claims a person putting them on Story mode is not a "true gamer", whatever the hell that's supposed to mean, or otherwise tries to shame someone for not "getting gud".

Then you also have the factor of load times. While better than when it launched, the load times after you die are way too long. Think its still close to 25 seconds. I enjoy a challenge myself, but if everytime i die i have to sit for near 30 seconds before i can try again, only to possibly still again (because im on the harder difficulty), it becomes then a lesson in my patience with the load times as opposed to wanting to take the time to "git gud". My gaming time is limited, so im not going to needlessly frustrate myself. If the load times post death were more in the 10-15 second range, i may then stick with the higher difficulty and try to fight through it.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game Sunday and did some achievement cleaning yesterday. I really enjoyed it. This is exactly what I wanted from a Star Wars game and I hope it gets a sequel.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
What are the best approaches to parrying. I've found that for simple melee enemies, parrying works pretty well. But for more advanced enemies that strike in rapid succession, Cal doesn't seem to be fast enough to parry each individual strike 1:1 like in Sekiro, or am I doing something wrong?

Should I try to do perfect parries on the first strike and just hold block or have you guys had success with rapid individual parries?

Oct 25, 2017
What are the best approaches to parrying. I've found that for simple melee enemies, parrying works pretty well. But for more advanced enemies that strike in rapid succession, Cal doesn't seem to be fast enough to parry each individual strike 1:1 like in Sekiro, or am I doing something wrong?

Should I try to do perfect parries on the first strike and just hold block or have you guys had success with rapid individual parries?
I beat it twice, on hard and hardest, and I never really got the hang of multiple parries in a row. I felt like I was hitting the button at the right time but it never worked, so I just stopped trying.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia

It's doable, if you parry the first strike, it always slows the enemy a bit, and you can parry the 2nd ones and so on.
You might be too slow in parrying the 2nd strike. Generally parry the moment the attack starts, even the follow up attack has a start up cue.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Block and parry the end of the attack string. Parrying early doesn't help you because it leaves no opening to retaliate.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
I was really looking forward to this game and played a few hours today. Hmm... after Death Stranding this game fells old in many ways, imo, almost like a gen behind and nothing feels polished at all. Is the game getting any better after the first two planets? Glad that I bought a retail copy.