• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
After beating the game twice on XB1X I decided to pick it up from redbox for PS4 Pro. Holy shit does this game run worse. I'm shocked at how much worse. Stutters and frame drops in combat that have had me get killed multiple times. Also the controls feel like there's more lag somehow, but maybe that is due to the frame drops. I'm still going to go through it but I'm glad my first time through was on X.
Digital Foundry analyzed the game and said performance on X and Pro is similar. Is it possible your hard drive is very full on the Pro? It does seem that hard drive health effects performance in this game.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Digital Foundry analyzed the game and said performance on X and Pro is similar. Is it possible your hard drive is very full on the Pro? It does seem that hard drive health effects performance in this game.

I saw the video, and raw numbers may say performance is similar, but it's really not. My Pro runs fantastic, having just completed Death Stranding without so much as a hiccup. The game shows performance dips in similar areas on both platforms, but they hit harder on Pro. NXGamer did a video on it too, showing how the X just holds better and seems to stream in the data faster, making for less stutters. The Pro version is playable, but it does not feel nearly as good to play as the X version. This is coming from someone who prefers the dualshock for Souls games.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
How bad is it running exactly, and at what resolution? I see a lot of stutters in my game while moving to new areas, but other than that it's smooth sailing on hardware that's worse than yours.
It's like constantly stuttering, cutscenes or even fighting it's really strange. I might just have to reinstall. I mean I have a nvme drive sooo idk what's the problem.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It's like constantly stuttering, cutscenes or even fighting it's really strange. I might just have to reinstall. I mean I have a nvme drive sooo idk what's the problem.

How full is your drive? Is there any chance you're using a nearly full QLC drive?

I get minor stutters, but not even nearly as bad as The Outer Worlds. It's annoying and detracts from the overall polish, but it's by no means unplayable. I don't notice it in combat or cutscenes either...generally just in world traversal.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
How full is your drive? Is there any chance you're using a nearly full QLC drive?

I get minor stutters, but not even nearly as bad as The Outer Worlds. It's annoying and detracts from the overall polish, but it's by no means unplayable. I don't notice it in combat or cutscenes either...generally just in world traversal.
Oooo I am almost full, could that be it?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Oooo I am almost full, could that be it?

What SSD do you have?

DRAM-less QLC drives can get VERY slow once they're almost full (like, sub HDD speeds). They need free space to use as a makeshift SLC cache.

I have one myself (Intel 660p) and ensure that I always have at least 10% free on my 2TB drive.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
What SSD do you have?

DRAM-less QLC drives can get VERY slow once they're almost full (like, sub HDD speeds). They need free space to use as a makeshift SLC cache.

I have one myself (Intel 660p) and ensure that I always have at least 10% free on my 2TB drive.
500 gb nvme Samsung pro, I'll clear space when I get home and report back!

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
Jesus the combat in this is so bad, enemies track you across the room, they snap into position, parry and dodge times are unreliable. Who looked at these monsters tracking animation and just went "that look's good, move on".
I know you have a movie as deadline to sell your game but give me a break, this is Respawn, those guys know what they're doing.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Jesus the combat in this is so bad, enemies track you across the room, they snap into position, parry and dodge times are unreliable. Who looked at these monsters tracking animation and just went "that look's good, move on".
I know you have a movie as deadline to sell your game but give me a break, this is Respawn, those guys know what they're doing.
Is that on console? Had no problem with the combat.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Started playing the game in earnest today in anticipation of the upcoming film.

The game play thus far is good. But, (esp. coming to this game from DS) holy shit, I didn't expect this game to be this visually unpolished. It's more A to AA than AAA.

Thank goodness the art is strong to carry the game because on closer inspection:

1. Clipping is up the wazoo. Cal is more often than not either floating above or party sunken in the ground geometry.

2. The texture work was good before being sub par in Dathomir (which as my first world of exploration post Bogano is kicking my teeth in on Jedi Master difficultly). Some of it reminded me of Rage on 360.

And at times the frame rate can be temperamental.

Overall, as my first Respawn game, I am disappointed that these issues have not sorted post launch & it makes me curious whether their prior title TF2 is of the same nature albeit at 60 FPS.

And I am playing on the X in capped resolution mode.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Revisited Zeffo yesterday and looked at the map and good lord that planet is stupid levels of big, would people prefer more planets like that in a sequel or some of the smaller sized planets? Not that any of them are "small" but Zeffo is on another level entirely.

Just for clarification pretty sure none of the set pieces outright change the layout of the planets. The designers wouldn't be dumb enough to have missable secrets and such while also including a trophy for collecting all the things.

More smaller size planets maybe. Zeffo is a little too big and maze like for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing the game in earnest today in anticipation of the upcoming film.

The game play thus far is good. But, (esp. coming to this game from DS) holy shit, I didn't expect this game to be this visually unpolished. It's more A to AA than AAA.

Thank goodness the art is strong to carry the game because on closer inspection:

1. Clipping is up the wazoo. Cal is more often than not either floating above or party sunken in the ground geometry.

2. The texture work was good before being sub par in Dathomir (which as my first world of exploration post Bogano is kicking my teeth in on Jedi Master difficultly). Some of it reminded me of Rage on 360.

And at times the frame rate can be temperamental.

Overall, as my first Respawn game, I am disappointed that these issues have not sorted post launch & it makes me curious whether their prior title TF2 is of the same nature albeit at 60 FPS.

And I am playing on the X in capped resolution mode.

It's really just this game in particular, though I played only on a base console and didn't notice a downgrade in texture work that perhaps the X reveals. And I played TF2 just fine, though the dynamic resolution drops are occasionally pretty noticeable.

Still, it's remarkable that this is not stopping the game from being on best-of lists or even playing to completion (I finished the game and enjoyed it, but there were plenty of moments like you describe). But I'm a little disappointed people will be getting this for the holidays and will have similar experiences, unless a new patch arrives before then.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm fighting Gorgara now and it's basically just highlighting everything I dislike about the combat

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
PS4 Pro. But the problem is the core combat, the tracking on enemies makes the dodge unreliable and the parry timing is horrible. Big enemies jus zero in on in from across the room or snap into your direction in the middle of your dodge.

I found the dodge unreliable until I started using the perfect dodge. Dodging in a direction seems far less reliable but the iframes of a static dodge do the trick for most things.

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It's really just this game in particular, though I played only on a base console and didn't notice a downgrade in texture work that perhaps the X reveals. And I played TF2 just fine, though the dynamic resolution drops are occasionally pretty noticeable.

Still, it's remarkable that this is not stopping the game from being on best-of lists or even playing to completion (I finished the game and enjoyed it, but there were plenty of moments like you describe). But I'm a little disappointed people will be getting this for the holidays and will have similar experiences, unless a new patch arrives before then.

Well, I have only made it to Dathomir thus far and these ugly issues keep rearing their heads. I just hope it is the worst of it. The game clearly needed more time and in lieu of that at least substantive patches.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
After beating the game twice on XB1X I decided to pick it up from redbox for PS4 Pro. Holy shit does this game run worse. I'm shocked at how much worse. Stutters and frame drops in combat that have had me get killed multiple times. Also the controls feel like there's more lag somehow, but maybe that is due to the frame drops. I'm still going to go through it but I'm glad my first time through was on X.

This is weird, and isnt true at at all. the game runs especially in performance area the same on both systems.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spoilers I guess but I had a question for you if Cal shows up in any other SW media.

If you had to pick a canon color for his lightsaber what would you choose?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
This is weird, and isnt true at at all. the game runs especially in performance area the same on both systems.

Lol, I love people that just throw out that you're lying with nothing to base it on. I own both versions and the Pro runs worse. The X holds a better frame rate and streams in assets quicker, resulting in less stutter. I don't feel like doing the work for you, so look it up.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Lol, I love people that just throw out that you're lying with nothing to base it on. I own both versions and the Pro runs worse. The X holds a better frame rate and streams in assets quicker, resulting in less stutter. I don't feel like doing the work for you, so look it up.

We've done that....and we basically got that they run identical.

What you are describing isnt anything anyone else has got while playing on the pro, thats why some people are questioning you, and asking if anything is wrong with your hard drive.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Sorry I did not follow this thread, but plan on buying this game in the near future after finishing Death Stranding. Are the worst bugs fixed yet? Are more patches planned? Thanks a lot!

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
We've done that....and we basically got that they run identical.

What you are describing isnt anything anyone else has got while playing on the pro, thats why some people are questioning you, and asking if anything is wrong with your hard drive.

You and one other person have questioned it, in a thread filled with people saying Pro performance is bad. I have no agenda here. I own both consoles, I prefer the DualShock, so it gives me no joy saying the X performs better. The game ran perfectly smooth for all games I've played recently, including Death Stranding. I have room on my HD, so the only thing left to try is rebuilding database. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. There's one spot just as you get to Zeffo, where the stormtrooper body is being chewed on, that tanked on Pro. I booted up the X version and it was butter smooth.

Sorry if I'm getting defensive, I just know how quick people can be on Era to say your're being a console fanboy.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
You and one other person have questioned it, in a thread filled with people saying Pro performance is bad. I have no agenda here. I own both consoles, I prefer the DualShock, so it gives me no joy saying the X performs better. The game ran perfectly smooth for all games I've played recently, including Death Stranding. I have room on my HD, so the only thing left to try is rebuilding database. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. There's one spot just as you get to Zeffo, where the stormtrooper body is being chewed on, that tanked on Pro. I booted up the X version and it was butter smooth.

Sorry if I'm getting defensive, I just know how quick people can be on Era to say your're being a console fanboy.

No one said you were a fanboy tho. We were trying to help you out on why your game might be giving you issues like that, while others haven't really experiencing that.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
No one said you were a fanboy tho. We were trying to help you out on why your game might be giving you issues like that, while others haven't really experiencing that.

You told me it wasn't true. Are you in my living room? It's absolutely true that it's running worse for me. I wouldn't lie. That's to what I was referring. Could there be a cause for this, sure, but don't tell me it's not happening.

edit: I have more than 50% of my stock drive empty. Just rebuilt database. Will test and report back.

Last edited:

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
You told me it wasn't true. Are you in my living room? It's absolutely true that it's running worse for me. I wouldn't lie. That's to what I was referring. Could there be a cause for this, sure, but don't tell me it's not happening.

edit: I have more than 50% of my stock drive empty. Just rebuilt database. Will test and report back.

Can you capture these moments for us please and post the video here, so we can see what you are talking about? If not we can be done with this convo.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Can you capture these moments for us please and post the video here, so we can see what you are talking about? If not we can be done with this convo.

Okay here's a quick comparison. I did a few runs from the ship to the two creatures on Zeffo. Though both show some stutter, the drops when approaching the enemies and while in combat are worse on the Pro. The Pro also hitches on the return to the ship and the textures pop in worse. On X, the fight with the enemies was smooth.

Warning: X is from postgame, so a character is seen that may be considered spoilers.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on the HDD. I am playing on the 1X and I have seen it literally stop for multiple seconds for loading between areas, LOD is ridiculous the frame rate is in constant flutter . It's literally one of the worst performing games I have played in a long long time. The game has so many aspects that I like so I keep playing. Performance is terrible.

I bought an 1X just to play this game. There are maybe 3 games installed. It's brand new.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I think it depends on the HDD. I am playing on the 1X and I have seen it literally stop for multiple seconds for loading between areas, LOD is ridiculous the frame rate is in constant flutter . It's literally one of the worst performing games I have played in a long long time. The game has so many aspects that I like so I keep playing. Performance is terrible.

I bought an 1X just to play this game. There are maybe 3 games installed. It's brand new.

It could be. For me the X is very smooth except for certain parts of Bogano. I wish I had an SSD to try in my Pro.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Okay here's a quick comparison. I did a few runs from the ship to the two creatures on Zeffo. Though both show some stutter, the drops when approaching the enemies and while in combat are worse on the Pro. The Pro also hitches on the return to the ship and the textures pop in worse. On X, the fight with the enemies was smooth.

Warning: X is from postgame, so a character is seen that may be considered spoilers.

Yea I see it in your video. But ive never experienced this in that area at all. I think it may be a hard rive issue.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just bought this last night on sale and played through the opening segments. Really enjoying it so far and I'm impressed by some of the early setpieces. Can't wait to see what the rest of the game has to offer.

What difficulty did folks start on? I did Jedi Master since the bars seemed to be all in the middle, but I definitely don't have much health. Nothing has been too tough so far, just curious what others thought.

Nov 2, 2017
I just bought this last night on sale and played through the opening segments. Really enjoying it so far and I'm impressed by some of the early setpieces. Can't wait to see what the rest of the game has to offer.

What difficulty did folks start on? I did Jedi Master since the bars seemed to be all in the middle, but I definitely don't have much health. Nothing has been too tough so far, just curious what others thought.

If you're well versed in these type of action adventure games, starting off on Jedi Master is a good bet.

I'm on my second playthrough on Grand Master and other than increased enemy damage, I feel like it's exactly the same as Jedi Master.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you're well versed in these type of action adventure games, starting off on Jedi Master is a good bet.

I'm on my second playthrough on Grand Master and other than increased enemy damage, I feel like it's exactly the same as Jedi Master.
Yeah that sounds about right then. I'm generally pretty good at character action games, but I've never powered all the way through a souls game. This doesn't seem quite as strict though, and I enjoyed fighting the stormtroopers early on. The parry mechanic is really cool, and the window doesn't seem impossibly small.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So, I was about crush my controller in anger tonight.... I think I need some help.

I have unlocked one fundamental force power, Push, thus far. In addition, most tier one unlocks have been attained.

After unlocking that Push, I returned to Bogano to unlock previously inaccessible areas. And, I came face to face with that tongued triclops reptile boss. I have faced off against him with 4 vials of med in vain. It fucking pisses me off because the motherfucker despite getting hit with Slow keeps turning almost at the same pace (the animation is essentially that broken floating shit where its entire body simply rotates on its axis) as if it has no effect (of course the rest of animation is slowed down). And given Cal does not move in that bog well, healing is really really difficult.

Should I come back later or is there a better way?

In general, when things work, they're wonderful but man that combat system is not designed to handle multiple enemies with that god damn sticky AF target select.

Bloodborne this ain't in terms of encounter finesse.

Also..... the fucking fucking load times, motherfucking load times. Dying is essentially a 25 to 55 sec penalty on the X's stock drive. Sometimes, the sound loads well before the visuals and at other times sound disappears completely.

Playing on Jedi Knight difficulty the first time through, this is a fucking test of patience.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I just completed the story and have one hope here going forward:

Obviously the sequel will be following Cal and everybody else, because of course...but is it bad that I really want game #3 to center on Luke Skywalker after ROTJ? Star Wars Jedi: New Order, anyone?

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm having zero fun with the combat in this. Going to give the lowest difficulty a go as I love Star Wars and want to see the story through an like exploring the planets. Fights are either tedious or frustrating for me as I just loathe Soulslike dodge and parry systems.