• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Should I come back later or is there a better way?
You can come back later, but I suggest you get better at the combat in general. The frogs gave me trouble early on, but now they don't scare me, even on Grandmaster. You gotta learn to "parry" their attacks. You can also cut off their tongue (when you get Force Pull you can force it out) with Force slow, which does good damage and removes their annoying grab attack but even that isn't really that necessary. I preferred to use my Force meter on the strong attack (triangle) to deal massive damage. Also, remember the plunging attack!

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
You can come back later, but I suggest you get better at the combat in general. The frogs gave me trouble early on, but now they don't scare me, even on Grandmaster. You gotta learn to "parry" their attacks. You can also cut off their tongue (when you get Force Pull you can force it out) with Force slow, which does good damage and removes their annoying grab attack but even that isn't really that necessary. I preferred to use my Force meter on the strong attack (triangle) to deal massive damage. Also, remember the plunging attack!

Thanks. Turns out I'm playing on Jedi master difficulty.

So I'm trying slow it's tongue down but when I go to hit it the cut don't register in the middle segment. Wtf?!

Also, I think retrying doesn't not frustrate me as much as a load times for respawning which is variable between 20 seconds and over 1 minute!!!

Let that sink in.

Unfucking believable. What an unpolished product.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I hope that Respawn adds hilt components that will allow players to recreate the two new lightsabers seen in Rise of Skywalker

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So, I finally beat the Oggdo, only later to discover that an easier way existed by dropping on that reptilian rascal from one of the three holes from above.

And then came Kashyyk and with it, framerate issues......... on X..... in a 1 v 1 fight with that dark trooper with the staff..... in a confined hallway......... in 30 fps mode. Well done, Respawn, well done indeed. That was only the first.

Heck I'd have taken 1080p temporarily for that fight but it does not have a framerate cap and this game does not run at 60.

I regret playing Death Stranding first.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
So, I finally beat the Oggdo, only later to discover that an easier way existed by dropping on that reptilian rascal from one of the three holes from above.

And then came Kashyyk and with it, framerate issues......... on X..... in a 1 v 1 fight with that dark trooper with the staff..... in a confined hallway......... in 30 fps mode. Well done, Respawn, well done indeed. That was only the first.

Heck I'd have taken 1080p temporarily for that fight but it does not have a framerate cap and this game does not run at 60.

I regret playing Death Stranding first.
I just finished the game on the 1X today. The frame rate doesn't get any better. It's a fun game but damn, really rough performance.

Other notes: for a light souls like it was fun, but it was overly short and not enough depth. 8/10

Last edited:

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to finishing this yesterday and despite being initially really hooked and impressed the actual experience was mostly pretty mediocre for me. Almost every single facet of the game felt stiff and clumsy, from combat and its weird wind up animations and stalling and odd readability, to exploring and navigating environments. There's like a weird rigidness to everything about the game, the Metroid Prime-like stage progression not really challenging or requiring application of skills because everything fits into a neat problem/solution set of systems that must be expressed a very specific way with little room for failure. Like wall running, which felt stiff and inorganic.

The game just quickly deteriorated into one that didn't seem to have much of any unique identity of its own nor actually be all that great at expressing its many design influences. Most combat with the lightsaber, with exception of saber fights (and even they were easy to cheese), just felt unsatisfying and weak to me (I played on Jedi Master). The exploration and application of powers and skills felt so stiff, never really earning a sense of accomplishment and mastery. Despite the open-ish level design I rarely felt like I was actually be challenged to think or do anything to progress, instead just following the road and jumping the gaps.

I don't feel the Dark Souls influence in respawing enemies and losing XP added anything. All those game systems felt bolted on because reasons and not because they coherently meshed with the vision.

But I could say that a lot about Fallen Order. Much of the game seemed made up of good ideas and strong influence, but none of it particularly impressive here, and all bolted together to make for a game that's an amalgamation of other, better games but not particularly impressive by any of its own merits.

The story was okay. I liked the stuff with Dathomir with Nightsister Merrin. Given the theme of being abandoned, losing your people, and finding hope in others, this stuff I feel should have been integrated into the plot much earlier. The last couple of chapters are a much more satisfying narrative high due to actually....going somewhere and being interesting. Kashyyyk was boring. The ancient alien race force user plot was fine by the end but took way too long to develop. I initially disliked but quickly grew to love the Second Sister. Very well acted, a lot of presence. I also liked the setting, and the call backs to the Clone Wars, like exploring the derelict ship. We haven't seen any games really approach this period, the early stages of the Empire, and I really liked seeing stuff that anchored the lore in the Clone Wars.

So yeah. I'm happy it exists because it's fine. I'm glad I pushed through. We've a drought of good single player Star Wars games and this is a nice step in the right direction. But I'm definitely in the minority of people at odds with the critical and commercial praise. It's a good starting point for what I hope will be a much stronger, more refined, and focused sequel, but I can say quite confidently that despite its length and breadth of content and mixup of game systems and influences I don't actually have many poignant memories from the experience. Very few cinematic moments or narrative beats, or mastery of skills and usage of power, that I think back to with "Man, that was awesome". It all just kinda blurs together into a game that presents itself as a lot deeper and varied than it actually is. It really reminded me a lot of the original Tomb Raider reboot, taking influence from a bunch of other games but in the end kinda playing itself and not being all that great at anything.

And those are my thoughts nobody asked for. Fingers crossed the sequel is something more to my taste.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I just finished the game on the 1X today. The frame rate doesn't get any better. It's a fun game but damn, really rough performance.

Other notes: for a light souls like it was fun, but it was overly short and not enough depth. 8/10

Have you noticed button presses not registering at times? This has happened to me a few times going from dodging to attack.

Overall, having never played any Respawn game, I do not believe I will be purchasing their games day 1 again, like I did with JFO. Frankly, I broke this pre-existing rule because of preorder pricing for it and Death Stranding. I was apprehensive knowing the state of day 1 games nowadays and given the news surrounding JFO, I thought I'd best wait. So I played DS. That, for all its issues, performed remarkably for most of the time during my 135+ hrs playthrough.

But this, this game.... I bought it for the X thinking the higher specs + delayed play session (started playing on the 20th of Dec) would avail me of better performance. I have, and no word of a lie, seen better performance from Dontnod games.
  • The cinematics, despite being wonderful are replete with LoD swaps, object and texture pop in between cuts.
  • There are frequent framerate hiccups that I assume are due to new areas being streamed
  • Aforementioned framerate issues during gameplay in the unlikeliest of scenarios.
  • Button presses don't register at times.
  • Enemy AI pathing can be occasionally piss poor.
  • Perhaps the most atrocious load times variations (>= 20s to =< 65s) I have seen in any of the games I have played this gen. Given its checkpoint system, retrying for difficult enemies can, to put it mildly, be tedious.
Being a SW fan and one who had loved both KoTORs, I was eagerly anticipating this game. And for most part, I like it. But given the numerous amateur hour issues, I just can't love it. I really have a hard time believing people when they sing praises of Respawn.

Honestly, I am inclined to believe that had this been not been a SW game, it would have scored notably lower.

Oct 27, 2017
Have you noticed button presses not registering at times? This has happened to me a few times going from dodging to attack.

Overall, having never played any Respawn game, I do not believe I will be purchasing their games day 1 again, like I did with JFO. Frankly, I broke this pre-existing rule because of preorder pricing for it and Death Stranding. I was apprehensive knowing the state of day 1 games nowadays and given the news surrounding JFO, I thought I'd best wait. So I played DS. That, for all its issues, performed remarkably for most of the time during my 135+ hrs playthrough.

But this, this game.... I bought it for the X thinking the higher specs + delayed play session (started playing on the 20th of Dec) would avail me of better performance. I have, and no word of a lie, seen better performance from Dontnod games.
  • The cinematics, despite being wonderful are replete with LoD swaps, object and texture pop in between cuts.
  • There are frequent framerate hiccups that I assume are due to new areas being streamed
  • Aforementioned framerate issues during gameplay in the unlikeliest of scenarios.
  • Button presses don't register at times.
  • Enemy AI pathing can be occasionally piss poor.
  • Perhaps the most atrocious load times variations (>= 20s to =< 65s) I have seen in any of the games I have played this gen. Given its checkpoint system, retrying for difficult enemies can to put it mildly, tedious.
Being a SW fan and one who had loved both KoTORs, I was eagerly anticipating this game. And for most part, I like it. But given the numerous amateur hour issues, I just can't love it. I really have a hard time believing people when they sing praises of Respawn.

Honestly, I am inclined to believe that this game not been a SW game, it would have scored notably lower.

It's crazy how unpolished a big AAA game like this was allowed to release in 2019. Should have been delayed honestly.

Nov 2, 2017
It's crazy how unpolished a big AAA game like this was allowed to release in 2019. Should have been delayed honestly.

Not with The Mandalorian and The Rise of Skywalker releasing within the same time frame. The Battlefront game were also released around the time of the Star Wars movies as well. Just the name of the game...

I wouldn't call it unpolished, but I definitely agree it probably could've used a few more months to a year in the oven. There are a lot of things in the game where it seemed like Respawn wanted to do more, but probably ran out of time.

Fallen Order has sold well, and sounds like Disney is going to slow it down on the Star Wars movies for a while, so hopefully the next few games will fare better with development time.

Oct 27, 2017
Not with The Mandalorian and The Rise of Skywalker releasing within the same time frame. The Battlefront game were also released around the time of the Star Wars movies as well. Just the name of the game...

I wouldn't call it unpolished, but I definitely agree it probably could've used a few more months to a year in the oven. There are a lot of things in the game where it seemed like Respawn wanted to do more, but probably ran out of time.

Fallen Order has sold well, and sounds like Disney is going to slow it down on the Star Wars movies for a while, so hopefully the next few games will fare better with development time.

I imagine the next one will be on next gen so hopefully there won't be as many issues with outdated hardware at least. I'm hoping for an Uncharted 1 to 2 jump.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably been mentioned elsewhere but is it normal to get long freezes on Kashyyyk, not during normal loading zones? Base PS4 here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Also, I think retrying doesn't not frustrate me as much as a load times for respawning which is variable between 20 seconds and over 1 minute!!!

Let that sink in.

Unfucking believable. What an unpolished product.
Yikes. It's a few seconds, like 5-10 at the most, on PC with an SSD.

So glad I got a new PC last year. Sucks for you guys, honestly. The game is legit good underneath these issues.

But.... :(
Also, remember the plunging attack!
lol

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's any reason a game like this should have shipped in the state that it did (speaking from the perspective of playing on PS4 Pro). I actually regret buying it because the myriad issues take me right out of the experience every time I boot it up.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got
my lightsabers fixed and I'm now returning to Dathomir.

I'm guessing I have like three hours left if I stay on the critical path? I'd like to finish this in a day or two so I can play another game or two for GOTY.

Also I've been playing on XB1X and outside of one hard crash, it hasn't been that bad for me. The loading time can be absurd but the performance generally hasn't bothered me and I'm usually a stickler for that stuff

The most frustrating section for me so far has been
The fight against the Gogara on Dathomir. The camera/targeting system was very clearly not designed for this kind of Monster Hunter esque boss fight. There would be times I'd be in a corner and I literally couldn't see it because the camera didn't know what to do so I'd take damage from an attack I couldn't see. And on Jedi Grandmaster the Gogara can kill in like three hits so it was a big deal. The fight itself wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't have to wrestle with the game half the time.

I'm seeing a lot of frustrations in this thread but I dunno, I'm mostly enjoying it despite it being rough around the edges. The platforming is legitimately a lot of fun and the combat, while undeniably kinda clunky, is satisfying once I got the hang of it. I'm excited to see what Respawn can do with a sequel.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Just grabbed it for about $35 (on sale at Best Buy + my GCU is still active)

Got the PS4 version but EA is pushing Xbox as main platform - I'm not missing out on any exclusive or early DLC, right?

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm having a real hard time separating the protagonist's actor from his role on Shameless. I don't know if it's because I've watched 7.5 seasons of it but I keep expecting all the Gallaghers to show up.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's any reason a game like this should have shipped in the state that it did (speaking from the perspective of playing on PS4 Pro). I actually regret buying it because the myriad issues take me right out of the experience every time I boot it up.
I've been holding off on playing this game, solely due to all the issues reported. Which sucks, 'cause I was really yearning to play it right away. Oh, well, I'll have to let Battlefront 2 scratch that itch.

I hope I won't have to wait too long before the game gets tidied up.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
This game is taking me to odd places: has some lovely eurojank (despite being american), the parry system works when it feels like it, delay+framerate drops make me very mad...but the overall level design is pretty nice, and I'm enjoying a lot the mobility. Pity fighting simply sucks, same shitty combo doing pathetic damage even on normal.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Do you ever unlock a way to fast travel to rest points?

My biggest issue with the game so far is sometimes I'll chose a path that ends up taking me way back on the current planet, and I then need to treck forward again for 5-10 minutes to get back to where I was.

I took one of the 3 lifts up on Zaffo and annoyingly I can't just ride it back down. I need to slog it through half the planet just to get back to the lifts.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
No it doesn't... it one-shots most mooks. For the tougher melee opponents, make sure you parry their blow, that will destroy their stamina and you can OHKO them.
I know, but hitboxes and animations are not all that clear. The spiders from kashyyk are incredibly erratic on its window, for ex. And the inquisitor bosses are strange, I don't seem to be able to parry or block their normals without taking damage.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I loved the game, but thinking back, I think it it wasn't for the Star Wars licence I would feel pretty lukewarm about it.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
FYI, on PS4 Pro I moved the game from the internal hard drive to an external 7200rpm drive and performance saw a substantial upgrade. It still has some hiccups but the game is dramatically better. I wish I could afford an SSD to really see the benefit.

Mar 29, 2018
Deadlines, publishing targets, personnel issues. There are TONS of reasons a game would release in this state

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
Interested to hear what aspects of the game people felt were fresh/something that it did better or in a new way.

I finished it a couple of days ago, enjoyed it but there weren't any standout parts of the gameplay loop/moments, it was just a bit better than the some of its slightly janky parts.

Mainly interested because if they make sequel and it does go through some kind of Uncharted 1 to 2 style jump in quality, what are the key pillars of it that form its identity and that you could see becoming really good?

Nov 2, 2017
Got this via the Redbox $25 US deal for Xbone. Playing story mode with my son and have enjoyed it immensely.

I suppose we are still somewhat early on (on Kashyyk). Maybe noted elsewhere but besides the Tomb Raider gameplay elements, there is a lot of Indiana Jones vibes (statue guards, moving large spheres for puzzles), exploration stuff I remember from older Indy games. Also love the databank parts from BD scans.

Really hitting the mark for me.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the game. Still don't like the combat lol.

The map in this game is awful. wish they color coded areas and maybe separated levels horizontally with lines connecting them instead of everything on one map then levels.

Some places, especially Dathomir, are a pain to navigate.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Starts out well enough but quickly feels like a chore.. the level design kind of hinders your momentum at every step and it really does not feel like worlds, more like obstucle courses

dont really enjoy this now

Deleted member 60992

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I'm on Dathomir and where do I get the equipment to climb the Herpes wall?

edit: never mind... I found a different way to advance without having to deal with the herpes wall yet.

Hope anyone who reads this has a Happy Holidays and whatnot.

Last edited:

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
So...
Does killing the Nightbrothers really bother anyone else?

It seems a bit nuts to me that we show up to this planet and start slaughering the natives even though they tell us to leave?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is the parry window/timing weird? I played a lot of BB and Sekiro this year but I feel like pressing the parry right before the enemy attack hits its too late for the parry animation.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
And done!

U7LMBWY.jpg

Being a massive Respawn fan, I had to get that Platinum to sit along side my one for Titanfall 2 (^___^)

Overall though, other than the lack of polish in spots, I absolutely loved it, especially the ending. I'm legit over the moon that it's also seemingly done so well from a sales standpoint as Respawn definitely deserves the success and the game it legit great anyway.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
So...
Does killing the Nightbrothers really bother anyone else?

It seems a bit nuts to me that we show up to this planet and start slaughering the natives even though they tell us to leave?

Dathomir is the stretch of game I enjoyed the most, but yes, it's a weirdass situation when you look at it in context. Cal basically shows up on a planet because he wants something from it and starts willingly slaughtering the locals and wildlife, including that big monster thing that literally wasn't a threat until he invaded its territory and nest, to get what he wants. I get the subplot and whatnot but given the context of every other location (Empire is hunting you, chased by Bounty Hunters, captured, running from Sith, etc) it's a bizarre tangent haha.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Do you ever unlock a way to fast travel to rest points?

My biggest issue with the game so far is sometimes I'll chose a path that ends up taking me way back on the current planet, and I then need to treck forward again for 5-10 minutes to get back to where I was.

I took one of the 3 lifts up on Zaffo and annoyingly I can't just ride it back down. I need to slog it through half the planet just to get back to the lifts.

there's no fast travel, only shortcuts

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
ANOTHER boss fight that doesn't actually end when you beat it?

Is this a new record?

Edit: also sometimes the cutscene lipsyncing gets off and kinda ruins the entire thing, any fix? On base ps4 if that helps

Last edited: