Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order |OT| Respawn of the Jedi

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone help? The game perpetually thinks that I am on some windy planet or something, and so now in every cutscene the clothes for every character are going nuts, as if in a storm. It won’t seem to go away. Anyone else have this bug? Tried resetting a few times... Incredibly immersion breaking.
I had that bug, but it just sort of fixed itself as I carried on playing.

ultima786

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's kinda silly lol. It started for me from when I first got on the ship at the end of the intro, and lasted through until midway through the second planet.

As I said, it did fix itself, but I don't know how, sorry.
Yes! That is exactly how it happened to me. OK, so there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Apr 18, 2019
I have found so many characters in T poses that i'm starting to think this is the actual pose for the characters and not just for the mocap.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Finished and got the plat at the same time. Had a great time with this. Did need some more time in the oven though. The ending section was brilliant. Can't wait to see what they come up with for the sequel. Hope it's alot more polished though. Newest update Def seems to make it more stable in performance mode for me. Unless the last section was just way more polished than the rest.

The map was the hardest boss. Person who came up with that piece of shit needs a stern talking to.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, I haven’t followed the patches too closely but where has performance landed in both modes on PS4 Pro? I was looking to start this game soon and was curious.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Having loved Sekiro, I was expecting to dig this game's combat. Unfortunately, I am an hour in and I kinda hate it so far. It just feels really laggy and unresponsive to me. I'm hoping something clicks, but I am definitely starting to lose faith.

LukarWuff

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone let me know how close to the end I am?

I just went back to Dathomir after getting a new kyber crystal on Ilum.

LukarWuff

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the story.

Overall... Man, that was a really fucking solid game. Some of the enemy encounters were annoying (namely the bounty hunters and the security droids), the game could have used a bit more polish, and the ending was kind of abrupt, but overall, I loved my time with the game. I didn't pay too much attention to coverage of the game before playing it, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that it basically mixes elements of Dark Souls and Metroid Prime into a Star Wars-y package. Loved just exploring the various worlds and uncovering secrets while hunting for clues to the holocron.

Overall, I think the story was pretty good. I think the game did a pretty good job of characterizing all of the main cast (though less so for Merrin, mainly due to her appearing so late in the story). It was nice seeing the flashbacks to Cal's Padawan training, and how Order 66 eventually happened during the middle of it. Also was glad we got to see flashbacks with Cere and Trilla; while I wish we'd gotten to see more of them together, I think the few glimpses we got worked well enough.

Also, did not expect Vader to show up in this. When Trilla suddenly choked up and everything went silent, I thought, "... fuck." They did a great job of making Vader someone to be feared in that moment, as well as afterwards when Cal was escaping him.
So yeah, all in all, fantastic game. Really glad I ended up getting it, because it's pretty much everything I want from a story-driven Star Wars game. I really hope we get a sequel (I know it's rumored, but I feel like no EA Star Wars game is safe from being canceled for one reason or another).

litebrite

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the story.

Overall... Man, that was a really fucking solid game. Some of the enemy encounters were annoying (namely the bounty hunters and the security droids), the game could have used a bit more polish, and the ending was kind of abrupt, but overall, I loved my time with the game. I didn't pay too much attention to coverage of the game before playing it, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that it basically mixes elements of Dark Souls and Metroid Prime into a Star Wars-y package. Loved just exploring the various worlds and uncovering secrets while hunting for clues to the holocron.

Overall, I think the story was pretty good. I think the game did a pretty good job of characterizing all of the main cast (though less so for Merrin, mainly due to her appearing so late in the story). It was nice seeing the flashbacks to Cal's Padawan training, and how Order 66 eventually happened during the middle of it. Also was glad we got to see flashbacks with Cere and Trilla; while I wish we'd gotten to see more of them together, I think the few glimpses we got worked well enough.

Also, did not expect Vader to show up in this. When Trilla suddenly choked up and everything went silent, I thought, "... fuck." They did a great job of making Vader someone to be feared in that moment, as well as afterwards when Cal was escaping him.
So yeah, all in all, fantastic game. Really glad I ended up getting it, because it's pretty much everything I want from a story-driven Star Wars game. I really hope we get a sequel (I know it's rumored, but I feel like no EA Star Wars game is safe from being canceled for one reason or another).
Agreed with pretty much everything you said and I'm sure a sequel is definitely coming. Although I'd be down with a story driven Mandalorian game.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, as a quick update, the combat DID click with me at some point. I think there are a few elements that were holding me back initially. Despite taking heavy amounts of inspiration from Sekiro, the way the parry works is definitely slightly different. You can't cancel out of your regular attacks with it, there is recovery on the parry itself, and the dodge has a surprising amount of recovery frames (you can effectively dodge an attack only to be hit by a followup attack before you have recovered from your dodge).

Beyond that, this is obviously a game with a lot of technical hiccups. So, it isn't uncommon for the game to get framey mid-combat. In a game that has such a heavy emphasis on parrying, this can really screw up your ability to react effectively. Also, it DOES feel like there is some input lag, though that could just be a combination of all the above factors coalescing.

Overall, I ended up enjoying my time with Fallen Order. It is definitely rough around the edges, and it is unfortunate that there wasn't a more bosses (it almost feels like there are only a handful of "real" boss encounters, and many of those are fighting the same opponent), but I do feel like the combat ended up providing the most compelling Jedi experience yet. A sequel that builds off of everything that worked, and polishes all the rough elements, could be truly incredible.

Last edited:

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Shanghai/Seoul/Vancouver
Okay, as a quick update, the combat DID click with me at some point. I think there are a few elements that were holding me back initially. Despite taking heavy amounts of inspiration from Sekiro, the way the parry works is definitely slightly different. You can't cancel out of your regular attacks with it, there is recovery on the parry itself, and the dodge has a surprising amount of recovery frames (you can effectively dodge an attack only to be hit by a followup attack before you have recovered from your dodge).

Beyond that, this is obviously a game with a lot of technical hiccups. So, it isn't uncommon for the game to game framey mid-combat. In a game that has such a heavy emphasis on parrying, this can really screw up your ability to react effectively. Also, it DOES feel like there is some input lag, though that could just be a combination of all the above factors coalescing.

Overall, I ended up enjoying my time with Fallen Order. It is definitely rough around the edges, and it is unfortunate that there wasn't a more bosses (it almost feels like there are only a handful of "real" boss encounters, and many of those are fighting the same opponent), but I do feel like the combat ended up providing the most compelling Jedi experience yet. A sequel that builds off of everything that worked, and polishes all the rough elements, could be truly incredible.
There's definitely input lag at my end (base PS4). Sometimes, inputs like dodge or stim regens don't register at all.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely input lag at my end (base PS4). Sometimes, inputs like dodge or stim regens don't register at all.
That was another issue altogether. I didn't encounter it frequently, but it happened just enough for me to be certain that it wasn't just FFS (fat fingers syndrome).

It is definitely a game with a litany of technical issues (at least on consoles).

Last edited:

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it.

I really enjoyed it as a whole, but I would have really loved to explore more planets. Dathomir wasn’t particularly fun, nor were the
undead sisters (it felt more like something from a Call of Duty/Destiny game than Star Wars)

Other than a few other things that could have been given extra polish, I think it was a solid game and I would love a sequel!

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Pay attention to the locked/unlocked doors and make sure to remember that there are multiple floors.
Yes I know that, but the actual map layout/design is terrible. It's impossible to tell where paths go with so many disconnected pieces and the semi-transparent design frequently has elements overlapping each other. I mean look at this mess:

It's so hard to read that because what's in front of what is unclear so you end up having to constantly rotate it to get any sense of direction. Then on top of that the actual movement is clunky and I wind up with the map camera in the walls or other places I don't want it to be.

As I said, I like the game and I'm almost at the end but the map is the most unhelpful map I've ever seen in a game.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yes I know that, but the actual map layout/design is terrible. It's impossible to tell where paths go with so many disconnected pieces and the semi-transparent design frequently has elements overlapping each other. I mean look at this mess:

It's so hard to read that because what's in front of what is unclear so you end up having to constantly rotate it to get any sense of direction. Then on top of that the actual movement is clunky and I wind up with the map camera in the walls or other places I don't want it to be.

As I said, I like the game and I'm almost at the end but the map is the most unhelpful map I've ever seen in a game.
What you're talking about is less of an inherent issue with the map and moreso a issue specific to Zeffo. Which is the is not just big but is full of winding pathways.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
What you're talking about is less of an inherent issue with the map and moreso a issue specific to Zeffo. Which is the is not just big but is full of winding pathways.
Nah, I just finished Dathomir and it's just as bad. Not sure why you're being so defensive of the map, I find it confusing and trying to challenge my opinion isn't going to make me change it. This isn't my first game lol

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I actually thought the map was pretty great. However, I just came off of playing Control which has, quite possibly, the worst map in a game. So maybe that flavored my opinion.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
The map is serviceable at best. I totally get the issues with the transparency and the massive gaps along winding paths that just makes traversing certain areas hilariously touristic.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the main story tonight, the ending section was great.

Overall I think the game is a solid 8.5/10 for me. Some parts were fantastic other parts not so much. The things I didn't like were the constant backtracking and the mostly useless map. The environments looked fantastic on the X1X. The character models looks great in cut scenes but the lighting could be pretty flat during gameplay. The combat was mostly fun but sometimes a bit janky, same with the traversal.

Look forward to a sequel or similar game set in the SW universe :)

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the main story tonight, the ending section was great.

Overall I think the game is a solid 8.5/10 for me. Some parts were fantastic other parts not so much. The things I didn't like were the constant backtracking and the mostly useless map. The environments looked fantastic on the X1X. The character models looks great in cut scenes but the lighting could be pretty flat during gameplay. The combat was mostly fun but sometimes a bit janky, same with the traversal.

Look forward to a sequel or similar game set in the SW universe :)
The funny thing is that the backtracking is pretty consistently bad (nearly every story section ends with you backtracking through the entire world). Yet, the levels were clearly inspired by the From Software system of having pathways and shortcuts unlock as you progress. Why this is funny is because backtracking is almost never an issue in From games. They all do a pretty great job of having stages that wind around themselves (greatly expediting backtracking).

I feel like across the spectrum people agree that this game was, at the very least, a great proof of concept. I honestly think they are going to rock the sequel.

TheZjman

Nov 22, 2018
Just finished it also. So, so good. Really steps up in the second half of the game and when the combat clicks, it’s great. I played on Jedi Master and there was a few annoying bits but generally wasn’t unfair. Dropped to Story mode difficulty whilst I clean up the collectibles and it’s amazing to see the difference, lol.

the crush move by the battle droid does like no damage compared to like a third on Jedi Master.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is that the backtracking is pretty consistently bad (nearly every story section ends with you backtracking through the entire world). Yet, the levels were clearly inspired by the From Software system of having pathways and shortcuts unlock as you progress. Why this is funny is because backtracking is almost never an issue in From games. They all do a pretty great job of having stages that wind around themselves (greatly expediting backtracking).

I feel like across the spectrum people agree that this game was, at the very least, a great proof of concept. I honestly think they are going to rock the sequel.
Yeah and the worst was when I somehow missed a shortcut at the end of my first time through Zeffo so not only did I end up going back through the entire planet to leave but I had to do it again when the game sent you back there a second time.

Like you said though the game has a very solid foundation so I hope they end up doing a more polished sequel.