• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That's an excellent way of putting it. Sekiro's feedback is rock-solid; you know exactly who's attacking who, you know exactly when the tide turns, and it's all down to perfect visual and audio feedback. Fallen Order isn't even close in this regard, and it can be very difficult to get a feel for whether you're doing well or not. Often an enemy will block midway through one of your combos and start counter-attacking you, and won't even realise it for a second or two because it's obscured by visual noise and the audio feedback isn't especially clear.

I can still hear every sword-clanging sound effect from Sekiro when I close my eyes, and I haven't played it since beating it at launch. That game just had it down so perfectly you could almost play it with your eyes closed.

Yes, the clashing swords in Sekiro was the key, a parry had a different noise and look than a block and a parry followed by a counter by an enemy (or the last block before an enemy was going to counter you) also had a different one, that's 3 different feedbacks for you to understand how the duel agains your enemy was going. In Fallen Order there's really no feedback on all so it's kinda hard to know what is even happening in a duel.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Yes, the clashing swords in Sekiro was the key, a parry had a different noise and look than a block and a parry followed by a counter by an enemy (or the last block before an enemy was going to counter you) also had a different one. In Fallen Order there's really no feedback on all of this so it's kinda hard to know what is even happening in a duel.

Parry do have a different noise in Fallen order and the animation also is very clear when you get one in ? whats funny however is that sometimes, executions are done without slowmo

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as you get a parry in, just attack until you get parried, and then parry again to deplete stamina. Even bosses are doing slower than normal attacks after they get parried once
So I can indeed parry them right after they parry me? I'm just not executing right? That would be good to know
Yeah

if you fail a parry you can dodge and then parry again
ok thanks, now that I know it works I'll try more consciously to do it.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Sekiro circle jerk thread now? I love Sekiro but damn this is probably the best Star Wars game in the last 20 or so years, no need to belittle it all the time by comparing it with Sekiro.

Yes, it being a Star Wars game has a lot to do with my enjoyment, but thats why I bought it anyway.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Sekiro circle jerk thread now? I love Sekiro but damn this is probably the best Star Wars game in the last 20 or so years, no need to belittle it all the time by comparing it with Sekiro.

Yes, it being a Star Wars game has a lot to do with my enjoyment, but thats why I bought it anyway.

Its not about Sekiro at all, its more about game design in general. Had a great time with this game

Whats funny is that, the gap between hard and grandmaster here reminded me a lot of the same gap in AC odyssey between hard and nightmare

Oct 25, 2017

Don't get bent out of shape. Sekiro was brought up to give context to specific complaints about combat in this game.

I like this game. I'm only criticizing it because I like it and I wish it was even better. If I didn't like it it wouldn't be worth complaining about in the first place for me.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I believe the praise the game is getting shows more how badly people want good Star Wars games which is understandable, the game is OK but not really amazing, it started out very strong but nearing the end myself and none of the elements in the game feels fleshed out but rather shallow.

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I now have a serious bug. This chest isn't counting toward map completion. I have a planet stuck with 1 missing chest and there's nothing I can do to fix it.

Which planet? I am having an issue with this on
Ilum, it say's I am 4/5 but all of the sub regions have chest completion

Deleted member 7777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I statyed out on Jedi Master and knocked it down to Jedi Knight. It's still quite challenging for me, but much less frustrating.

How are the masses feeling about this game? People expecting Uncharted meets Force Unleashed are in for a bad time

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I never figured out how the parry mechanic worked

I don't know that it's even worth going for them, to be honest. When enemies can recover so quickly that you can't even get a hit in after a perfect parry, and you have six other guys tagging you while you're stuck in the parry animation, it doesn't feel like there's enough reward to warrant the risk.

The game's combat lifts so many mechanics and ideas from Souls and Sekiro that it's impossible not to make the comparison. The parry system, with both you and the enemy having block-stamina bars that you deplete to break guard, practically is Sekiro, just not executed as well. I'm not trying to shit on the game, I'm really enjoying it, but that's just how it is.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just looking to see how far I am in the game.

I am on my second visit to Dothimir going into the temple now with the double jump.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I liked Sekiro but I find Souls games too hard, I know they're not hard and you just need to learn them but to be honest I don't really have the time for that nowadays. I'm not a fan of replaying one section over and over until I get it.

This is kinda the same but with lightsabers.

Oct 28, 2019
How do I get out of the cell? There's four loose plates and a power cable, can't find it.
Never mind, found it. Fuck some of this game is dark.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This feels more like euro-jank to me personally. I would not be playing this were it not dressed in star wars nostalgia.
Fights with huge groups (like the one "at the top") in kashyyyk are just a mess.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Just looking to see how far I am in the game.

I am on my second visit to Dothimir going into the temple now with the double jump.
I'd say you are about 75% through the game

So how's the game, overall? I'm considering getting a month of Origin Access Premier to give it a shot.

Thats what I did. Just beat it with doing the majority of side stuff. I had some issues with the combat. The game feels incomplete to me. Some things happen that seem like the end of a story line not the middle.

Its worth the 15 dollars to tear enemies up with a lightsaber though :)

Oct 28, 2017
This game really should have fast travel. Meditation circles should be fast travel points. They've added unnecessary tedium I presume simply because they want to artificially increase playtime.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
EA: How much emotion do you want to put into the last hours of the game?

Respawn: Yes

Well the story is top tier, and the characters have depth to them. Cinematics are top great and while I'm not finished but near the end there is something so gut wrentching that it was not fun to see.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit.

I just
got kidnapped by a bounty hunter droid and fought in an arena.

This game just keeps on surprising me.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
OH my god, that electrical puzzle on Zeffo had me stumped for like 30 mins lol. One of those that makes you feel kinda dumb after ward. oh well. :P

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I believe the praise the game is getting shows more how badly people want good Star Wars games which is understandable, the game is OK but not really amazing, it started out very strong but nearing the end myself and none of the elements in the game feels fleshed out but rather shallow.

it is The Outer Worlds once again...people will cool off this game once they are done.
problem with Jedi is, even if i were a die hard Star Wars fan i would see the flaws...might be the best Star Wars game in a long time, this doesn´t mean that it is a good game overall, it is a serviceable game with technical and design flaws, highly derivative elements and dated feel.

Between The Outer Worlds, Death Stranding and this game here, it made a few review outlets look a bit strange for sure. i mean i don´t care for reviews at all but people should really not give so much attention to them.

I'm not far in the game yet, right after the prologue, green planet. But I notice framerate drops a bit more often than I'd like. They happen and once they're gone it's smooth again. I thought it was supposed to be smooth 30fps? On X.

on the Pro it is stuttering often in the 30fps mode, far from smooth

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'm not far in the game yet, right after the prologue, green planet. But I notice framerate drops a bit more often than I'd like. They happen and once they're gone it's smooth again. I thought it was supposed to be smooth 30fps? On X.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Anyone having issues where Cal just sometimes not grab on to ledges or ropes? I make the jump his face hits the ledge but he doesn't grab it and I just fall. Same with the freaking jobs, he goes through the ropes sometimes and it is annoying.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Loving the game! Much better than I expected but sure has some janky parts (mainly fps issues). Combat to me feels like a slower Sekiro and not as easy to cheese (Sekrios combat can be so broken as long as you keep attacking). I feel like this has a better mix of attack and defend but Sekiro was "tighter" to control. I like both though.

This feels more like euro-jank to me personally. I would not be playing this were it not dressed in star wars nostalgia.
Fights with huge groups (like the one "at the top") in kashyyyk are just a mess.
Pretty sure I just did the fight you are talking about and not sure what's so messy about it? The game has ranged opponents that actually do something and I could see that be a problem but you just gotta take it slow, use force on melee opponents and reflect ranged shots.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Lol now that I'm just destroying the universe in Jedi Master, its the damn puzzles that take much more time than the combat, its so silly. Kinda insane how vastly better the experience is purely in terms of combat in said difficulty, you just manhandle 6 - 10 enemies at any given time with how reasonable the force usage is
tuned at.

Took 3 hours to reach kashyyk part 2

Also, using enemies as human shields with pull when you see a trooper with a rocket launcher is hilarious and I feel bad for not thinking about it at all in my first playthrough.

Last edited:

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Loving the game! Much better than I expected but sure has some janky parts (mainly fps issues). Combat to me feels like a slower Sekiro and not as easy to cheese (Sekrios combat can be so broken as long as you keep attacking). I feel like this has a better mix of attack and defend but Sekiro was "tighter" to control. I like both though.

Pretty sure I just did the fight you are talking about and not sure what's so messy about it? The game has ranged opponents that actually do something and I could see that be a problem but you just gotta take it slow, use force on melee opponents and reflect ranged shots.

Right, slow is the key. Any time I've been frustrated, it's because I've been too aggressive most of the time.

Anyone that shoots at you is a parry away from damaging or killing themselves. Enemies that lob things at you can get them pushed right back. Big fellas that are punishing from the front can be slowed for some free back attacks. Etc etc. Not liking something and criticism is fine, but the game isn't going to change, so it's adapt to it, or just play something else I guess?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game.

they really nailed Vader. Powerful presence.
I don't think I've ever felt so completely outmatched by a character. So powerful they don't even pretend you could stand a chance in a fight. I thought it made for a kinda underwhelming ending though, but not sure where they could keep going after that, because we obviously can't fight Vader and never will.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Just gave the intro a whirl. Seems like Dark Souls-lite combat, or I guess Batman, wrapped in Uncharted. Very pretty (even if the villain looks like a kid's toy), seems like a well presented romp, and I'm keen to sink my teeth into it once I'm done with Death Stranding.

Tried native 4K on a 1080 Ti. I get anywhere between 30 - 60fps depending on the scene, but averages 40 - 45. Normally I'd go for the hard 60+ at 1440p on my GSYNC monitor, but for the visual splendour I think I'll plug this into my LG C8 and run with native 4K at the cost of framerate. I'm really disappointed the PC build doesn't have HDR though.

Also not surprised there's stutters. Doesn't seem quite as bad as Arkham Knight, but it's a classic case of Unreal Engine related issues. The latter was UE3+, whereas this is UE4, so I know there's pipeline differences. But yeah; every so often there's an UE3/UE4 game that just seems to be pushing shit up hill under the hood, for whatever reason, and stutters along the way.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i have next to no experience with combat in games like this and can use some tips for facing melee enemies, especially inquisitors where my strategy is literally run away to recharge force energy so i can do the dash attack that seems to always hit, rinse and repeat. everything else seems to be blocked, parries don't seem to give me an opening (unless i'm blowing it), and i seem to just mash otherwise which of course screws up opportunities to avoid damage by dodging at the right time. slow/push useful in any situation? dual saber vs single +/_? it feels like i'm not taking advantage of the tools available to me.

also, been using auto targeting, because i dont want to have to target and switch targets mid fight, but as the game is now throwing many enemies at once it seems to be getting in the way more than helping. should i turn it off and just learn to use it?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Its not about Sekiro at all, its more about game design in general. Had a great time with this game

Whats funny is that, the gap between hard and grandmaster here reminded me a lot of the same gap in AC odyssey between hard and nightmare

I would appreciate a difficulty between Master and GM; the gap is too big IMO.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People still comparing this to sekiro or Bloodborne. Yes, it relies on breaking enemy postures but you have so many tools to do so. Parrying is just a part of the combat and not the most important one imo.
Instead of looking at what the game has to offer people try to imitate their sekiro or souls experience.
Ah, well. Meditation points and xp loose at death means it's 1:1 a from software combat system I guess.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The thing is, as tight and well-made as Sekiro is, I hit a point where the game became more a job than an enjoyable experience and I eventually abandoned it.

Fallen Order not only offers difficulty options, it even goes as far as to explain how those options manifest within the game.

There's something to be said about giving the player a choice not to have to endure a million deaths and endless frustration to get through a game and Fallen Order is demonstrative of how you can cater to everyone while ensuring the hardcore 'Get Good' crowd still gets their fix.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
People still comparing this to sekiro or Bloodborne. Yes, it relies on breaking enemy postures but you have so many tools to do so. Parrying is just a part of the combat and not the most important one imo.
Instead of looking at what the game has to offer people try to imitate their sekiro or souls experience.
Ah, well. Meditation points and xp loose at death means it's 1:1 a from software combat system I guess.

I mean I did push people over edges with the force, slowed down packs, killed 3 guys at once with one saber throw etc. But all of this basically doesn't work against bosses, the game logic in GM isn't that great when it comes down to it. Unless it is for some and I just don't like how strict it is overall which sounds about right :P

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I agree completely. This game borrows from the Souls games but it also borrows heavily from other action titles and the combat is most assuredly its own thing.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it is The Outer Worlds once again...people will cool off this game once they are done.

You know, there's a protracted difference between disliking a game and telling other people they aren't really enjoying it as much as they think or that they'll cool to it eventually.

You don't know me, the critics, or the myriad of people who are clearly enjoying this game even if you aren't so why not just stick to your own opinion and quit assuming you know others better than they know themselves.