• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Just got my shiny platinum. I really liked the game. The absoltely nailed the maps and the plataformer gameplay, it's so fun just getting around, it was a blast to get all the collectibles. Unfortunately, I didn't like the combat at all and I don't know exactly why, I feel like I never learned how to play, it's so janky.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just got my shiny platinum. I really liked the game. The absoltely nailed the maps and the plataformer gameplay, it's so fun just getting around, it was a blast to get all the collectibles. Unfortunately, I didn't like the combat at all and I don't know exactly why, I feel like I never learned how to play, it's so janky.
Wow I came around exact opposite to that.
I felt they mailed the combat but the map was just terrible and platforming was ok-ish.

Also all map felt so mechanical, like devoid of any reasoning of them to exist. Just convinient pipelines going from one place to another not making any sense per the world lore.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Blast to get collectables? What? Lol. Don't get me wrong I love hunting them down in most games.....this one I hated it with a passion! On kayyshak I had one left. At the very end of the map. If there was fast travel it would have been fine but I really don't like having to run back and forth across the same map five or six times just because I missed one thing.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I liked the combat, but to be fair I was playing on the hardest difficulty and had way too much fun pushing enemies off cliffs and stuff. The Empire really needed to invest in some rails.

I did appreciate how the different bosses required unique approaches - I had to be very evasive against the final boss on Dathomir, for example, but against the final boss of the game it was easier for me to be hyper aggressive.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Wow I came around exact opposite to that.
I felt they mailed the combat but the map was just terrible and platforming was ok-ish.

Also all map felt so mechanical, like devoid of any reasoning of them to exist. Just convinient pipelines going from one place to another not making any sense per the world lore.
Blast to get collectables? What? Lol. Don't get me wrong I love hunting them down in most games.....this one I hated it with a passion! On kayyshak I had one left. At the very end of the map. If there was fast travel it would have been fine but I really don't like having to run back and forth across the same map five or six times just because I missed one thing.
I liked the combat, but to be fair I was playing on the hardest difficulty and had way too much fun pushing enemies off cliffs and stuff. The Empire really needed to invest in some rails.

I did appreciate how the different bosses required unique approaches - I had to be very evasive against the final boss on Dathomir, for example, but against the final boss of the game it was easier for me to be hyper aggressive.
I didn't have read impressions before and I am just so surprised people didn't like the plataformer, lol.

When I finished the game I have left only a few collectibles because I explored a lot. I was fun revisiting the planets and getting what I left behind.

I tried the hardest dificulty, bet ended lowering to normal.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Well that is me done with the game. Just sold it before I reached the end [near the end of Chapter 5] since I wasn't particularly motivated to finish.

I think the best parts of the game are fairly middle of the road, and the worst, are pretty poor.

Graphics: The first level is stunning, while the rest of the game is a mixed bag. I found the contrast between the prologue and the rest possibly the most jarring I've experienced in a game. Stig's last game, God of War 3 had some similar contrast in this regard, but it had quite a few other stunning parts aside from the intro. This has nothing that comes very close to matching the intro, although Zeffo also looks nice.

Music: It is Star Wars, it is good.

Combat: Pretty good. It is responsive and intuitive, this is possibly the best part of the game although it is far short of say DMC V, which I played earlier in the year.

Maps: Often frustrating, very labyrinthine and also an atrocious mini map to navigate with.

Platforming: Not especially pricise.

Story: Basic and pretty run of the mill. Didn't feel many of the characters got that much development, and the overal plot was bare bones. Cal is a decent character, but no more. The fallen jedi reminded me of Ian McKellen, he had good delivery, pretty theatrical.

Polish: very rough. Probably the worst I can remember in a AAA game. Lots of freezing, some crashes. Playing on PS4 Pro.

Overall, I found the experience pretty middling, except for the level of polish, which did lower my appreciation of the game. I think EA made a mistake pushing for the game to released in its current state.

Despite my negative impressions, I do feel there is a foundation here to build on for a next gen game. I would like to see more of an action rpg hybrid, with more settlements to encounter other characters. Star Wars main strength is its world building, and I don't feel this engaged as much with that as I would have liked. I also think they should integrate aspects that differentiate it from other action adventure games. They certainly aren't on the level of stuff like uncharted yet, but if they could incorporate space flight and real time travelling between worlds (obviously with hyper drive to cover the large distances), in a seamless experience, it could be something special. This isn't...yet. Well, except for the bugs.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yikes. It's a few seconds, like 5-10 at the most, on PC with an SSD.

So glad I got a new PC last year. Sucks for you guys, honestly. The game is legit good underneath these issues.

5 to 10 seconds...! Yea, that would, indubitably, cut down on the god damn frustrations when it comes to retrying encounter. You're essentially playing on a different league compared to consoles (esp. those running platters for storage).

Shame on Respawn, and perhaps more importantly, shame on the shameless corpo degenerates that is EA (execs) because I can't imagine Respawn being this fucking incompetent. This project reeks of being rushed to market. Again, if this game was devoid of the SW halo, the reviews would have more accurately reflected the console ports' shortcomings.

All that said, where are the f00king patches!?

Seeing red and the consequent heavily narrowed focus, I got stuck in my rut. In retrospect, thanks again.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Why is the precision evade slow only activated if you're not holding down a directional input at the time? Makes it really awkward cause I'm pretty much always doing that

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5 to 10 seconds...! Yea, that would, indubitably, cut down on the god damn frustrations when it comes to retrying encounter. You're essentially playing on a different league compared to consoles (esp. those running platters for storage).

Shame on Respawn, and perhaps more importantly, shame on the shameless corpo degenerates that is EA (execs) because I can't imagine Respawn being this fucking incompetent. This project reeks of being rushed to market. Again, if this game was devoid of the SW halo, the reviews would have more accurately reflected the console ports' shortcomings.

All that said, where are the f00king patches!?
They're probably on vacation right now, as Respawn is one of the few studios that avoids crunch and gives their workers proper time off. Their recent patch was two weeks ago. Give it time and let them rest.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Why is the precision evade slow only activated if you're not holding down a directional input at the time? Makes it really awkward cause I'm pretty much always doing that

Holy shit! Really! I was literally about spend my points on that. Good lord.

They're probably on vacation right now, as Respawn is one of the few studios that avoids crunch and gives their workers proper time off. Their recent patch was two weeks ago. Give it time and let them rest.

Well, I am not asking them to crunch but given the game came out over a month ago and patches tend to be worked on when the game is greelit for going gold, I thought they'd have more time. I commend them for their attitude of not burning their devs out and yet it does not alter the reality that this game is comparatively the worst game I have played this year (when it comes to polish). Given their pull at EA, it feels like they could have delayed the game to december prior to the release of TRoS.

But truth be told, there are fundamental issues with the game's design which tries to, on more than a few occasions, ape mechanics from other games without the finesse of the source materials. And that can not be patched.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished this up. Enjoyed it a lot more once I put it on story mode as I just suck at this souls-like type of combat and was wanting a Jedi power trip. The last boss was still pretty tough for me even on easy as I'm so bad at parrying and attacking at the right times in these kind of games.

Solid story and I liked exploring the worlds so I'm glad I played it, but glad I didn't buy it at launch and got it for $25 from Redbox given the gameplay isn't my cup of tea and performance was pretty bad on my PS4 Pro.

Happy I got it done before heading out of town for the next few days so I can start something new when I get back.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Finished this game the other day. Having to restart helped a lot honestly. This time being more familiar with the combat and how the game likes to spread out and hide its collectibles made the second playthrough a lot easier.

The combat had some issues with enemies snapping from one area to the next and I was a little turned off by the dearth in indirect environmental world building for a series subgenre known for it's world building (single player SW titles, I mean). In many cases I felt like they were on the cusp of going into detail about the Zeffo, but with every relic I picked up I only had more questions after the fact.

But even though I thought the combat could have been expanded I think the combat pacing is spot on. I'm sick and tired of every Jedi flipping around like they're an extra in the prequels. Combat had gravity and meaning in this game. Fighting was reasonably paced, every attack had a risk/reward balance that could change the tide of the fight, and the devs did an excellent job of showcasing you know who's raw and force strength in the final encounter in the game. When you fight the final boss, you reasonably wipe the floor with her, giving a real sense of progression since the beginning of the game. But then *he* arrives, and overpowers every facet you've bothered developing for the entire campaign. And his force powers didn't feel too spectacular, either. Just enough to give you or anyone else a little edge in combat.

Overall I think this is a great return to the single player genre and I can't wait for the sequel.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well, I am not asking them to crunch but given the game came out over a month ago and patches tend to be worked on when the game is greelit for going gold, I thought they'd have more time. I commend them for their attitude of not burning their devs out and yet it does not alter the reality that this game is comparatively the worst game I have played this year (when it comes to polish). Given their pull at EA, it feels like they could have delayed the game to december prior to the release of TRoS.

But truth be told, there are fundamental issues with the game's design which tries to, on more than a few occasions, ape mechanics from other games without the finesse of the source materials. And that can not be patched.
Remember that this goes beyond EA. Everything in a Star Wars game goes through Lucasfilm and Disney. They have to greenlight all of it. Chances are the release date was one that they wanted, not Respawn or EA. Also, I understand you being upset, but I'm sure they're not done fixing the game. Give them time. Maybe there are other games you could play while you wait.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Remember that this goes beyond EA. Everything in a Star Wars game goes through Lucasfilm and Disney. They have to greenlight all of it. Chances are the release date was one that they wanted, not Respawn or EA. Also, I understand you being upset, but I'm sure they're not done fixing the game. Give them time. Maybe there are other games you could play while you wait.

Two things:

1. I don't recall people paying less for the game because the state it was released in (this is true for any game that ships broken with implied patches). It is not a matter of entitlement to ask for a polished game, which is an inherent expectation for paying the admission fee.

I understand why they may have had to do it but it still does not make the end result any better.

2. I was delivered two games simultaneously, Death Stranding and JFO. DS was the first game I played, as mentioned in this thread before. I spent 135+ hours in the game finishing it on the 19th of Nov. I started JFO on the 20th, more than a month after its launch.

In my time, I faced a few framerate hiccups, but that was the gist of it. The difference in polish between DS and JFO is night and day. To think a brand new studio whose staff were assembled and put to task for around 4 years could outdo an industry veteran.

I am on Dathomir right now and by god, the art is as good as the actual assets are bad. The animation system for the foes especially with that awkwardly zoned pathfinding is another sore spot.

Overall, as soon as I feel I am getting immersed in the world, there is some art asset and/or animation and/or physics and/or streaming system and/or LoD pop ins and/or egregious load times and/or performance issues that take me right out. This, supposedly on the pinnacle of console versions, X.

So yea, I am done with buying Respawn games day 1.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I didn't have read impressions before and I am just so surprised people didn't like the plataformer, lol.

When I finished the game I have left only a few collectibles because I explored a lot. I was fun revisiting the planets and getting what I left behind.

I tried the hardest dificulty, bet ended lowering to normal.
the actual platforming was fine to me, I love uncharted and such, I just don't have the patience to have to do massive amounts of backtracking and my ocd makes me collect all of collectibles. The one I was missing on kashakk was near the end of the level....it was like a twenty minute speed run just to get to the area, and it was up a vine that was super hard to spot so I ran around the room for ever not even knowing if it was the right room I read about in a walkthrough.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did the same thing haha. That shit never got old.

Force Pull on the Dathomir warriors is also oooof

I'm not totally sure I can commend the devs for putting those black-armoured Stormtroopers so often next to an edge you can just push them off, but I guess it's actually a good thing in the end so you don't have to fight the same guy over and over.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not gonna be spoiling anything obviously, but seeing Rise of Skywalker sure made me appreciate Fallen Order's story a lot more. I thought it was just OK, but now I think it's positively solid in comparison. :D

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's so bizarre. Also how parrying sometimes only briefly pauses an enemy's attack sequence before they finish it.

It just makes me want to play SoulsBorneOhKiro or For Honor tbh

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two things:

1. I don't recall people paying less for the game because the state it was released in (this is true for any game that ships broken with implied patches). It is not a matter of entitlement to ask for a polished game, which is an inherent expectation for paying the admission fee.

I understand why they may have had to do it but it still does not make the end result any better.

2. I was delivered two games simultaneously, Death Stranding and JFO. DS was the first game I played, as mentioned in this thread before. I spent 135+ hours in the game finishing it on the 19th of Nov. I started JFO on the 20th, more than a month after its launch.

In my time, I faced a few framerate hiccups, but that was the gist of it. The difference in polish between DS and JFO is night and day. To think a brand new studio whose staff were assembled and put to task for around 4 years could outdo an industry veteran.

I am on Dathomir right now and by god, the art is as good as the actual assets are bad. The animation system for the foes especially with that awkwardly zoned pathfinding is another sore spot.

Overall, as soon as I feel I am getting immersed in the world, there is some art asset and/or animation and/or physics and/or streaming system and/or LoD pop ins and/or egregious load times and/or performance issues that take me right out. This, supposedly on the pinnacle of console versions, X.

So yea, I am done with buying Respawn games day 1.
I don't think it's entitlement to ask for a polished game, no. That's why I didn't say or imply it was. I simply said that you can have fun with other games while you wait for a patch, if these problems are hurting your experience that much. Obviously the devs are not happy with bugs. They never are. But there's such an abundance of games to play that you can go to, and then come back to Fallen Order once they fix it if you're still interested.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It took effort training my brain to approach combat deliberately instead of just hacking and slashing. But once I got around that mental hurdle, it really clicked. Sequel could be really special, sort of like what Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted 1.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one janky game - still with current patches

playing on X and performance is all over the place. Glitches with animation and collision, lock ups on load etc

Game was clearly not complete

i have a hard time enjoying it because of these issues actually

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
The many glitches frustrated me enough that it made me drop the difficulty just so I could see the story. It felt short then, since I wasn't spending much time on a diliberate approach to combat.
Great game and the sequel could be something special if Respawn can keep it together.

And...
the escape from Vader was awesome. Did not expect him to show up and was not disappointed.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Honestly I feel like I'm playing a different game because I'm on base PS4 and the only technical issues are long load times on respawn and sometimes when sprinting to a new area it'll freeze for a second or two

Oct 26, 2017
Not gonna be spoiling anything obviously, but seeing Rise of Skywalker sure made me appreciate Fallen Order's story a lot more. I thought it was just OK, but now I think it's positively solid in comparison. :D
Yeah it may be my favorite story to come out of the Disney/EA era so far, although I wasn't a huge fan of the Dathomir segment

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm really unsure what the point of parrying is in this game (against melee attacks) when it doesn't even really give you enough time to counter and if you miss you get punished as opposed to just blocking and dodging

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I'm really unsure what the point of parrying is in this game (against melee attacks) when it doesn't even really give you enough time to counter and if you miss you get punished as opposed to just blocking and dodging
It does massive stamina damage, once you deplete their stamina most enemies get OHKO'd.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It does massive stamina damage, once you deplete their stamina most enemies get OHKO'd.
Hmm ok I'm on
Talon Malicross
or whatever and I feel like my successful blocking or dodging is 50/50. Like sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't even if I time it the exact same

Last edited:

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Hmm ok I'm on Talon Malicross or whatever and I feel like my successful blocking or dodging is 50/50. Like sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't even if I time it the exact same
Should probably spoiler-tag that...

And yeah he's tough. Deflecting him is doable but hard on Grandmaster. I relied a lot on Force Slow + the dual saber combo (L1 + Square IIRC) to whittle at his health.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'll tag it but I don't think he reveals his name until right before you fight him and there's weirdly like no build up.

Also the time it takes from when you're blocking to unblock and then do a parry is really hard to get used to.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also when can you actually use force powers against him? Seems to block them entirely 20% of the time

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
So I beat the game, but for some reason I just suck. Played on normal. Feel like I dodge too much and rely on healing.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Just finished the game. The glitch collision when jumping and stuff really hurt the enjoyment. It felt like it could have used a couple more months of polish.

The story was good and I liked the surprise at the end.

Like Rise of Skywalker, I'm not sure how I feel overall about the thing lol.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Well that is me done with the game. Just sold it before I reached the end [near the end of Chapter 5] since I wasn't particularly motivated to finish.

I think the best parts of the game are fairly middle of the road, and the worst, are pretty poor.

Graphics: The first level is stunning, while the rest of the game is a mixed bag. I found the contrast between the prologue and the rest possibly the most jarring I've experienced in a game. Stig's last game, God of War 3 had some similar contrast in this regard, but it had quite a few other stunning parts aside from the intro. This has nothing that comes very close to matching the intro, although Zeffo also looks nice.

Music: It is Star Wars, it is good.

Combat: Pretty good. It is responsive and intuitive, this is possibly the best part of the game although it is far short of say DMC V, which I played earlier in the year.

Maps: Often frustrating, very labyrinthine and also an atrocious mini map to navigate with.

Platforming: Not especially pricise.

Story: Basic and pretty run of the mill. Didn't feel many of the characters got that much development, and the overal plot was bare bones. Cal is a decent character, but no more. The fallen jedi reminded me of Ian McKellen, he had good delivery, pretty theatrical.

Polish: very rough. Probably the worst I can remember in a AAA game. Lots of freezing, some crashes. Playing on PS4 Pro.

Overall, I found the experience pretty middling, except for the level of polish, which did lower my appreciation of the game. I think EA made a mistake pushing for the game to released in its current state.

Despite my negative impressions, I do feel there is a foundation here to build on for a next gen game. I would like to see more of an action rpg hybrid, with more settlements to encounter other characters. Star Wars main strength is its world building, and I don't feel this engaged as much with that as I would have liked. I also think they should integrate aspects that differentiate it from other action adventure games. They certainly aren't on the level of stuff like uncharted yet, but if they could incorporate space flight and real time travelling between worlds (obviously with hyper drive to cover the large distances), in a seamless experience, it could be something special. This isn't...yet. Well, except for the bugs.

I felt the world building was one of its strongest aspects. I really liked learning about all the different creatures/enemies, and there was some interesting lore to find.

I prefer it to Uncharted actually because of the setting/world building, and there is more "gameplay" stuff, as in it can actually give you a challenge aside from swarms of the same 3 enemies like Uncharted does.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
On the last boss on Master difficulty. After this I'll probably play some Nioh as a palate cleanser 😋

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I honestly can't tell how well this game plays. The performance is such utter shit at times I actually can't tell if I'm missing timings or if the buttons aren't registering or if its loading or if it's going to crash. It's crashed twice on a late game boss to the point I broke the fucking Xbox by throwing it out of my door. Fucking ugh. That's $500 now, thanks EA or whoever for not listening to the QA team.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one janky game - still with current patches

playing on X and performance is all over the place. Glitches with animation and collision, lock ups on load etc

Game was clearly not complete

i have a hard time enjoying it because of these issues actually

Wait, it's doing this for you on X1X??? Like, you mean to say you'll be going through an area and before you transition through a door to another area it locks up to load in the assets?

Is that what you're saying?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I felt the world building was one of its strongest aspects. I really liked learning about all the different creatures/enemies, and there was some interesting lore to find.

I prefer it to Uncharted actually because of the setting/world building, and there is more "gameplay" stuff, as in it can actually give you a challenge aside from swarms of the same 3 enemies like Uncharted does.

Fair enough, a fairly substantially lower quality product. In world building I suppose it benefits from being part of the Star Wars universe, but what exactly was strong about it? Genuinely interested, because nothing about it really grabbed me.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
the parry Is hard to pull off or is it just me?
I find it difficult blocking enemies. Any tips?
I'm playing on the second to easiest setting and I still find the timing to be tricky.

Oct 31, 2017
the parry Is hard to pull off or is it just me?
I find it difficult blocking enemies. Any tips?
I'm playing on the second to easiest setting and I still find the timing to be tricky.
I'm kind of the opposite as you, I've only played and beaten it on Grand Master, but the parrying is better for me because I have to learn to react within that precise window over and over again. If I was given more leeway in timing the parry I'd be a bit more "loose" when doing so and miss the mark way more often.

I suppose one tip is that similar to souls games, it doesn't hurt to throw yourself at tough enemies over and over to learn their attack timings before moving on. If something kicked my ass but I still barely scraped by, I'd go to a meditation point and respawn them til I felt I had a good grip on how to tackle them.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Have there been any patches for this yet on the one x? I really want to play this on my couch.....but all I hear is how unpolished it is.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Honestly I feel like I'm playing a different game because I'm on base PS4 and the only technical issues are long load times on respawn and sometimes when sprinting to a new area it'll freeze for a second or two

That unfortunately also happens on X. Sprinting between areas causes this for me. At one point I could see assets loading right in front me as the game paused for a few secs on Kashyyk.

Also, the game does not obey the laws of momentum. Using Slow means jackshit on opponents going through their attack animations as getting hit by them while still under the effect inflicts the same damage as when they are not.

Finally, either the hit boxes for some non bipedal foes are atrocious or they have invincibility frames. Either way, it drove me up the fucking wall when Lightsaber hits did not register in the heat of some of the battles on Kashyyk. Respawn need to play Monster Hunter to see how it's done right.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, it's doing this for you on X1X??? Like, you mean to say you'll be going through an area and before you transition through a door to another area it locks up to load in the assets?

Is that what you're saying?

not locks as in stops completely, no

running from a ssd but it stutters like hell when traversing..just walking around

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Fair enough, a fairly substantially lower quality product. In world building I suppose it benefits from being part of the Star Wars universe, but what exactly was strong about it? Genuinely interested, because nothing about it really grabbed me.

I mainly just liked learning about all the different creatures, tbh. There was also some stuff like the Zeffo Tomb Guardians and Dathomir rituals which I found cool.