• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DoctorBat

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I honestly can't tell how well this game plays. The performance is such utter shit at times I actually can't tell if I'm missing timings or if the buttons aren't registering or if its loading or if it's going to crash. It's crashed twice on a late game boss to the point I broke the fucking Xbox by throwing it out of my door. Fucking ugh. That's $500 now, thanks EA or whoever for not listening to the QA team.

You threw your Xbox in frustration and you're blaming EA? Dude get help

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Got the 1000/1000 this morning. Overall an infuriating experience. Can't tell how many times I pressed a button and fuck all happened, be it to stim, parry or dodge. B, LB and up on the dpad just wouldn't register.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Finished, the lip syncing being off really hurt the emotional moments whenever it came up and it was my biggest problem with it.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I just finished it too, and while I liked it a lot, my biggest criticism is the dialogue.

Everyone is trying so hard to be supportful and trusting and friendly that it made almost every dialogue in the entire game just bland, boring and uninteresting. Wasn't Chris Avellone helping with this?

Still, pretty good overall, though much jankier than I expected an AAA EA developed game to be.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
On a positive note, I will say, for what it is worth, I am liking the story, perhaps now more than when I had not seen The Rise of Skywalker. It irks me when SW games have to emulate the movies and have a "twist". It's banal and predictable, albeit done better here because I did not know the origin stories of any of the characters here. KoTOR II is perhaps the only one where I couldn't see the twist or its coming.

Got the 1000/1000 this morning. Overall an infuriating experience. Can't tell how many times I pressed a button and fuck all happened, be it to stim, parry or dodge. B, LB and up on the dpad just wouldn't register.

Fucking knew it! I thought I was taking crazy pills when it happened to me and I mentioned it but didn't see anything from anyone else. Thank fuck I am not crazy.

Finished, the lip syncing being off really hurt the emotional moments whenever it came up and it was my biggest problem with it.

Interesting. Thus far, it has not happened to me on the X. Sounds like the performance is all over the place.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Fucking knew it! I thought I was taking crazy pills when it happened to me and I mentioned it but didn't see anything from anyone else. Thank fuck I am not crazy.
I absolutely had numerous button presses that didn't register. It also doesn't help that the block function is very"spongey"; it takes too long to transition between blocking and not blocking, with the result that when facing multiple enemies - or bosses with small punish windows - you either miss your chance or take unnecessary damage.

The worst is when you've got several melee and several ranged. I ended up holding down block afraid to let go of it, because I knew I'd take damage.

Also, they need more iframes on roll. Right now, you can roll to dodge an attack and get instantly nailed by another attack by a different enemy that tracked to the end of your roll. Zero chance to avoid it.

It's little things like this that really matter if you're going for Souls-esque combat. It needs to be tough but fair and utterly, utterly predictable.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I also had moments where I pressed stuff and nothing registered

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Same here on Xbox One X — I played and beat the game on PC first at 60+fps and it seemed fine, but as soon as I switched over to the copy that came bundled with my X, I started to realize just how rough console players have had it with this game. It's not unplayable, but unregistered inputs and technical performance is definitely a much larger issue on console than it is on PC, and it's starting to make sense how some of the platforming sections that seemed kinda mindless to me suddenly became big issues on console.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

It honestly only became apparent in some of the later fights when I switched from parries to dodges as my main form of defense. I'm siting there hitting B and Cal is just like nope. The worst thing was when I tried to stim, heard him acknowledge it and still nothing happened yet I had 8 stims left.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I didn't like how the final boss stamina meter was basically impossible to deplete. Even if you parried like 5 attacks in a row it would still be intact and they would just dodge away til it resets. No point in parrying which was lame.

Overall still enjoyed the game a lot.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I'm loving the game so far but I fucking hate the sound that the game makes before an unblockable attack because it triggers my "HIT DODGE NOW" reflex and more often than not that's way too early and I get hit. I honestly wish I could get rid of that sound lol

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing on PS4 Pro and so far haven't noticed any technical issues other than long ass load times after you die? I'm nearing the end of the second planet. Everyone I've heard talk about it say the PS4 version is the worst performing, yet I haven't seen any major issues. Did they patch it recently?

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't like how the final boss stamina meter was basically impossible to deplete. Even if you parried like 5 attacks in a row it would still be intact and they would just dodge away til it resets. No point in parrying which was lame.

Overall still enjoyed the game a lot.
You can hit them with two heavy attack combos in a row followed up by a light attack to break their posture, even on the hardest difficulty. Issue being is it sucks up your available Force so you gotta use it strategically.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Just started this an hour ago and I'm sorry to say coming off of Death Stranding this is a mess so far. Load times are awful, there's a lot of clipping and I haven't grown to like the combat yet. Troopers are fine but fighting those fat toads is pretty bad. Currently I'm fighting a toad mini boss that has killed me more often than I want to admit. Blocking is confusing so far. Apart from the eye candy corridor intro my first impression is sadly pretty disappointing.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You can hit them with two heavy attack combos in a row followed up by a light attack to break their posture, even on the hardest difficulty. Issue being is it sucks up your available Force so you gotta use it strategically.
Well they would prolly just hyper armor through it

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Just started this an hour ago and I'm sorry to say coming off of Death Stranding this is a mess so far. Load times are awful, there's a lot of clipping and I haven't grown to like the combat yet. Troopers are fine but fighting those fat toads is pretty bad. Currently I'm fighting a toad mini boss that has killed me more often than I want to admit. Blocking is confusing so far. Apart from the eye candy corridor intro my first impression is sadly pretty disappointing.

Turn down the difficulty. Seriously. I am terrible with these types of games (sekiro comes to mind) but enjoyed this immensely by turning down difficulty. Made hitting the parry window much easier and once I got the hang of combat I was flying along.

And if anyone from Respawn is reading this, THANK YOU for including scaleable difficulty options. Best decision ever.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Dathomir is so glitchy

night brothers village get locked into double jump animation on slope after bridge for 30 fucking minutes

not long after that get shoved into the barrier by 3 undead night sisters forced to exit game.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't tell how well this game plays. The performance is such utter shit at times I actually can't tell if I'm missing timings or if the buttons aren't registering or if its loading or if it's going to crash. It's crashed twice on a late game boss to the point I broke the fucking Xbox by throwing it out of my door. Fucking ugh. That's $500 now, thanks EA or whoever for not listening to the QA team.
Is this a bit.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not enjoying the combat, at all. It feels laborious, and while they were aping souls they forgot to make their own mechanics fun. And I'm pretty sure its Uncharted / TR slip n slide shit is making me motion sick.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I've got some Xmas money and this game is on my to get list.....but the technical issues are really putting me off tbh,I'll be playing on base PS4 and I think I might go for A Plague Tale instead and pick this up when it's been patched some more and is a bit cheaper.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the game so far but christ if the controls aren't super unresponsive. Its like they baked in a quarter second delay to everything.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I just started playing on the X. Graphics are beautiful, the music is incredible, and gameplay is fantastic. It reminds me of the uncharted series.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's crazy how many issues console players run into with this game. I played on pc and had zero bugs or glitches. Fuck, even performance was smooth 60. Despite hearing how stuttery it is

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game. Had a decent time, with some very frustrating moments in-between. I hated certain things, like the game having to do a full load every time you die. Like, why? It's the same area, it should already be loaded. Just reset the enemies, done. To make that even more annoying, the game seemingly has to load even the respawn button, as it doesn't appear until several seconds after the screen does. Doesn't make sense. If that's a deliberate decision someone made, it's a fucking terrible one. And then the game is just pretty janky overall, doesn't feel polished. That's what EA does I guess. Controls never felt really smooth either. I still had a good enough time to see it through to the end, but I won't be playing it again.

Weak 7/10

Last edited:

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. 6.5/10

I'll start with combat. It's not fun at all. It barely makes me feel like a Jedi, which is what a game about a Jedi needs to do. It's just lackluster and more about memorizing patterns and parrying then experimenting and having fun. Because of this you get some awful boss fights. They're tedious and not fun at all. Just keep parrying wait for a window to open up to attack and repeat. Yawn.

I like the structure of the game. The Metroidvania structure is fun but I wish there were better collectibles To make exploring more fun. Outside of some upgrades for your character its mainly cosmetic stuff, most of which doesn't look good.

The map is crap in this game. They need to color code sections to make navigating easier, especially on planets that are more vertical in nature than horizontal like Kayshyyk is. Datomir is a mess bf of this.

The story is alright. Not bad, but not amazing either. I'm hoping for more from the sequel

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My biggest problem with the game is it just feels jittery and buggy. I move Cal in one direction and he clips through objects, animations go from one to the next in awkward ways, objects pop in from a short distance. Just.... so incredibly unpolished.

The combat just doesn't feel tight enough, there's a delay between inputs and I just don't feel that same satisfying heft to the swings like something like Dark Souls. Getting hit from a blaster from an enemy far off in the distance/off screen while I'm fighting two other guys suck also.

I like BD1, I like the music, I like the dialogue, I like the exploration. But yeah, a lot to improve.

Oct 29, 2017
What sort of problems are you having on base PS4,I was thinking about getting the game and I'm on base PS4 too.
Massive frame rate drops even when there are no enemies on screen. Random loading sequences that totally freeze the screen while traversing the level at a sprint. And just some general glitchiness in regards to enemies teleporting or flying up in to the air.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not enjoying the combat, at all. It feels laborious, and while they were aping souls they forgot to make their own mechanics fun. And I'm pretty sure its Uncharted / TR slip n slide shit is making me motion sick.

They definitely made deflecting stormtrooper bolts back at them fun. The only way to kill a stormtrooper.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I've warmed up to it a bit more now, although I think combat outside of the troopers still sucks, especially against the fauna. There is no impact of your strikes with a freaking lightsaber even against the most basic rodent, except when you slice them up.
I won't call this a bad game, it clearly is not, but I'm surprised at the amount of goodwill it has gotten in the public discourse and press coverage.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I absolutely had numerous button presses that didn't register. It also doesn't help that the block function is very"spongey"; it takes too long to transition between blocking and not blocking, with the result that when facing multiple enemies - or bosses with small punish windows - you either miss your chance or take unnecessary damage.

The worst is when you've got several melee and several ranged. I ended up holding down block afraid to let go of it, because I knew I'd take damage.

Also, they need more iframes on roll. Right now, you can roll to dodge an attack and get instantly nailed by another attack by a different enemy that tracked to the end of your roll. Zero chance to avoid it.

It's little things like this that really matter if you're going for Souls-esque combat. It needs to be tough but fair and utterly, utterly predictable.
It honestly only became apparent in some of the later fights when I switched from parries to dodges as my main form of defense. I'm siting there hitting B and Cal is just like nope. The worst thing was when I tried to stim, heard him acknowledge it and still nothing happened yet I had 8 stims left.

Thank you folks. I hope I can quote your posts when I make a review thread for the game once I am done.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've warmed up to it a bit more now, although I think combat outside of the troopers still sucks, especially against the fauna. There is no impact of your strikes with a freaking lightsaber even against the most basic rodent, except when you slice them up.
I won't call this a bad game, it clearly is not, but I'm surprised at the amount of goodwill it has gotten in the public discourse and press coverage.

It's because it is a good game.

It juts takes some extra practice to get better at Fauna counters.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Thank you folks. I hope I can quote your posts when I make a review thread for the game once I am done.
I feel that someone knowledgable - perhaps you! - could do an excellent breakdown of the myriad little ways in which Fallen Order's combat system is worse than Souls in every conceivable way.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the game. But the combat system needs a metric fuckton of Polish and fine-tuning.

Another thing I didn't mention is the enemy stamina/block meters. It's simply not fun to have to bash away at these until they're depleted. It's far more fun to find an opening. I found parrying normal Troopers easy, but very hard against the Jedi hunter Troopers.

This issue reached its apogee in the final boss fight, where you literally couldn't deplete her guard bar.

Also, your options when you're facing two flying bounty hunter's are very limited. If you're unlucky, they can lock you down with successive attacks, and can be really hard to get room to breathe.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'll start with combat. It's not fun at all. It barely makes me feel like a Jedi, which is what a game about a Jedi needs to do. It's just lackluster and more about memorizing patterns and parrying then experimenting and having fun. Because of this you get some awful boss fights. They're tedious and not fun at all. Just keep parrying wait for a window to open up to attack and repeat. Yawn.
Holy wow I couldn't disagree more. It was the perfect "feel like a Jedi" game to me.

- Deflecting blaster shots back at Stormtroopers, even better when using the dual saber against those spammy ones where you'd just deflect one, hold block, and it would wipe out the entire squad around you for maximum lulz
- Force Pushing fools off a cliff
- Force Pulling previously difficult enemies into your lightsaber for a OHKO
- Perfect-parrying a melee attack only to one-shot a dude
- Force Slowing a hard boss to wail on 'em while they are open

On Grandmaster difficulty you need to use all of that otherwise you get destroyed all the time.

The traversal abilities were cool for that too, from wall runs to force pull into swinging and flipping all over the place.

Are you gonna mention that plenty of people never had this problem, too? :P

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I feel that someone knowledgable - perhaps you! - could do an excellent breakdown of the myriad little ways in which Fallen Order's combat system is worse than Souls in every conceivable way.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the game. But the combat system needs a metric fuckton of Polish and fine-tuning.

Another thing I didn't mention is the enemy stamina/block meters. It's simply not fun to have to bash away at these until they're depleted. It's far more fun to find an opening. I found parrying normal Troopers easy, but very hard against the Jedi hunter Troopers.

This issue reached its apogee in the final boss fight, where you literally couldn't deplete her guard bar.

Also, your options when you're facing two flying bounty hunter's are very limited. If you're unlucky, they can lock you down with successive attacks, and can be really hard to get room to breathe.

Yea, I keep going back to the game because I am liking the story, the characters and perhaps as importantly, the way the story is being delivered. I always appreciate for games that can weave exposition into the gameplay via environmental storytelling (active and passive) and out of cutscene dialogue segments. And this game, holy fuck.. there have been moments that are purely sublime! It is at times like these when I realize what an amazing potential this game had it not been for its pitiful and plenty technical shortcomings.

And yea, parrying troopers and other heavies can a pain in the ass because even now I have not figured out whether parrying one of their attacks that form their combos should suffice or whether I have to parry each and every one of them because it is NOT consistent in its own god damn rules. DMC is the fucking king when it comes to this. And as I have said myriad times before, the piss poor performance can really hamper parry timing.

Will I get a decent percentage of royalties? 🤔

PM your desired cut, I will forward it to my lawyer and we can then work out a deal.

Are you gonna mention that plenty of people never had this problem, too? :P

I will mention Henry Cavill and they'll get it.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Yooo i got an Xbox One X for Christmas and it came with a Star Wars Fallen Jedi code. I've been playing it on PC via game pass but does anyone know if my save file will transfer over to the Xbox One if I use this code? For some reason the game isn't on Xbox Game Pass And id rather play it on Xbox

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I'm near the end of the game I think and holy shit I'm surprised at how much I like Cal. He seemed like the blandest guy but his arc is so earnest and without pretense that by the end I'm just like "Yeah you go kid."

...Granted this being a prequel I don't think his chances of living are high but uh I'll hope.

The whole building a lightsaber and then heading to do cool Jedi shit with triumphant music playing is by far the best part of the game. Really, really good segment and it got me buying into both the game itself and Cal as a character.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep running into issues where the world doesn't load and I fall through the geometry to my death after like 30 seconds of falling.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I really feel like the dark souls like saving system doesn't work in this game. It should be linear like uncharted next go around in my opinion.

Back tracking is a pain with no fast travels. Having to walk all the way across a map back and forth like 3 times is annoying.

Then they have this cinematic moments that I really enjoy, but the checkpoints are so fucked. There's a cinematic before another cinematic to fight a boss. I die a couple times on the boss and quit the game. When I rejoin I have to watch both cinematics again with no way to skip.

Honestly I really enjoy this game but the save system Puts a bit of a damper on that. If they made it linear then it would be better paced and they could add more of those uncharted like set pieces that are so good in this game!

Edit: Actually the part I'm at it's 3 cutscenes and a tunnel I have to crawl through. Give me a checkpoint after that tunnel at least I mean come on.