• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
One way Elevator at the Auger.
must be pain in the ass for the Stormtroopers. they have keep sliding down the Ice slide to get down.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 3 hours in and man, I really want to love this game but the atrocious performance on base PS4 is making that difficult :(

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 3 hours in and man, I really want to love this game but the atrocious performance on base PS4 is making that difficult :(

Yupppppp. I received a free copy on Xbox which is great, but I have a base Xbox. I'm honestly surprised it took this long for me to find a game that makes me wish I upgraded to the Pro or X. But I also feel like a lot of the issues wouldn't be resolved. Response time wouldn't change, and that's the big issue for me at the moment.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... since there is no demo for me to try on PC I'm wondering if anyone with similar specs could tell me how well the game runs for them?

I'm debating if it would be better for me to get this on PC or PS4 depending on if my laptop can give me a better experience than what the base PS4 would.

My specs:

• Core i7-7700HQ Quad-Core 2.8GHz
  • GTX 1060 (3GB)
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Started this game and hit the first roadblock with this monster frog dog on the green planet after the intro on the salvage planet... So far so good but...

You just have to be kidding me with the load times when i die??? Ps4 Pro with SSD and it takes a looong while till I'm back at the save point after i die to this monster. Like wtf.
Edit: seems to load a bit faster than the first two times now.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I've took a break from the main quest after Zeffo, and I've got to check out
Dathomir

I've met the NPC there, and there's a gap that I must need an ability to cross, as Cal and BD had a specific conversation about not being able to cross it, but I'm a bit confused if I can do anything else there yet. There's a rope just past the NPC, but I can't grab it. Should I be able to do so, or is it just scenery?

Oct 30, 2017
Yupppppp. I received a free copy on Xbox which is great, but I have a base Xbox. I'm honestly surprised it took this long for me to find a game that makes me wish I upgraded to the Pro or X. But I also feel like a lot of the issues wouldn't be resolved. Response time wouldn't change, and that's the big issue for me at the moment.
It's not great on X either. Janky animations and nonregistering inputs galore. Frame rate is never consistent either. Still have no idea how Respawn let this out the door in such a state.

Currently playing on Jedi Master and the two things that have bullied me have been the ram-like animal on Jeffo and the Purge Trooper with the dual blades.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I can't believe that there is still no skip cutscenes option.
Wut? Pretty sure there is?
Dathomir

I've met the NPC there, and there's a gap that I must need an ability to cross, as Cal and BD had a specific conversation about not being able to cross it, but I'm a bit confused if I can do anything else there yet. There's a rope just past the NPC, but I can't grab it. Should I be able to do so, or is it just scenery?
Come back later

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Dathomir

better stop messing with that area or you might softlock your game and have to restart the whole game

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking for help here. Does anyone know how to open the door in zeffo hanger. The one all the way in the back. It says locked from the other side but i am not sure which path leads to unlocking this shortcut.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a lot less "Dark Souls" than I expected, although I am reasonably fresh off playing Sekiro so the drop in difficulty between that and this is substantial.

Really this just feels like a really fun and breezy adventure romp. It's just a little bit less automated with the platforming, a little bit less linear and a little bit more involved with the combat than many of it's 3rd person adventure peers. Turns out that's enough for me to enjoy this a lot - despite some of the technical issues even on PC - and despite falling hard off stuff like Uncharted and Tomb Raider over recent years.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it.

This game is the very definition of mediocre. Dull combat, bland characters, and a shallow story that goes nowhere. The environments were great but there was absolutely no reason to explore them. I'm honestly surprised how bad the traversal mechanics were after Respawn perfected them in Titanfall 2.

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat it! I'm more positive now than I was previously. Despite my grievances about the startup on attack and dodge animations, the combat clicked for me in the second half. Helps when you have way more force powers. The final boss was actually pretty fun. I didn't even realize I was at the end of the game; the story never really felt like it found its footing for me. A lot of stuff happened but none of the characters clicked for me so I never felt connected to the events happening to them. I still think the game has its issues, especially on the technical level, but when combat clicks it can be really fun. Hopefully they have way more time to polish the sequel. Overall an 8/10 for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone care to give me a non-spoiler, rough progress check? I've just;

Built my own lightsaber in the Jedi temple. Am I at or nearing the end game?

Have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game up to this point. I hear it picks up too towards the end and it feels like I might be there, but not sure yet.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Anyone care to give me a non-spoiler, rough progress check? I've just;

Built my own lightsaber in the Jedi temple. Am I at or nearing the end game?

Have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game up to this point. I hear it picks up too towards the end and it feels like I might be there, but not sure yet.
You're pretty close to the end.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Finally diving into this. Got the main objective on Zeffo cleared up, but decided to keep going through the "unexplored" tags on the map, and... yeah, hardly an original criticism, but I'm really not sure I like the level design. Aside from being vertical and windy in a way that's a little difficult to track with the map, it seems like they should do more to gate you off when there isn't yet all that much to actually do in the rest of the area? I continued through and explored everything because that's always a compulsion I have with games like this, but I need to prevent myself from doing that on the next planet because I'll very quickly burn myself out.

Still, I'm liking the general feel of the game, and the combat is really satisfying so far. Also cool to see Debra Wilson pop up in both games I've started in the last couple days (other being COD).

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble getting the pre-order bonuses to work. I've gotten past Bogano and started on Dathomir, but no matter how many times I close and reopen the game, I don't see my orange lightsaber color at the workbench or the alternate skins (also the customization options for the Mantis aren't there anymore???). The PS4 says that the add-on content is installed so I don't know what the problem is.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Platinumed the game. Enjoyed it overall. A solid 8, combat could be better and the jank was annoying (three times I fell through the world because it didn't load in and another dozen times I had load freezes). I hope we get DLC. I'd love a combat arena and maybe some story DLC, a new planet.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it. Platinumed it too without even try, which it's always nice.

IMO the game is a 8, but some aspects of it drag it down to 6 or 7. Obviously it needed a lot more of polish, the combat could be better too and that's why I think if they have the chance they could knock it out of the park with Fallen Order 2.

But for the love of God, tone down the sliding sequences.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished.

Really enjoyed it. Felt like the quintessential Christmas game, something breezy and fun to run through over the holidays. It's a game I would love to revisit via combat challenges or NG+ though. The combat feels so good towards the end when you have more upgrades and force powers, and I want to run through the whole thing like that.

8/10. The sequel needs to be more polished and tighten up some of the traversal, but I had a great time with this overall.

Todesritter74

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished it. Platinum trophy on Jedi Master difficulty, using slim PS4.

It makes me excited for a sequel where they add some QoL improvements, innovate on some ideas they have established, and get the time they need to polish the game to perfection.

At first I thought it was just me but, after reading the last couple of pages, I am realizing it might not be... the responsiveness of the controls seemed to be worse at the end (dodge and parry) which had some issues beforehand already.

One thing that I did like and would be interested in seeing iterated in a Soulsborne game:
The randomly appearing mini-boss bounty hunter fights spawning in certain areas.
It was maybe a tad overused in the game but added an element of anxiety in normal exploring.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
This is the first game I've beaten in about a year. It's harder and harder to get into games, but this was fun.

I thought it felt like a natural evolution of mechanics I've experienced in other action games, such as wall-running, climbing, swinging, exploration, and of course the cool Jed-centric powers. It also had some things that reminded me of Dark Souls in a way, and others which blended cinematic action set pieces to mix up the action. I really enjoyed how the game tried really hard to make you feel powerful but also made the enemies punish you for getting too cocky. I liked how some enemies were easy targets while others had a nice variety to their fighting patterns. I also liked how the game gave you experience for finding things instead of just killing things. If I had to quibble with the game, I wish it was longer. I wanted more planets. It feels like I was just getting to love my Jedi and then they ran out of places for him to go. I also had the game crash a few times.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Got the Platinum today. Finally went back and cleared out the last few datalog entries and killed the Bounty Hunter variants that never spawned during my original playthrough. Guess I'm completely done now.

Overall...it's a mess. It wants very hard to be a lot of different things and isn't always good at most of them. But overall I enjoyed it...I just wish it was more polished. They should've delayed it into next year.

...though now that I think about it, maybe releasing it when they did was the best case scenario, because I can't imagine being very hyped to play it AFTER Rise of Skywalker killed the entire franchise.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I just watched Alex Exposito play this game to 100%. Holy shit there's a lot of stuff I didn't do.

I think I'm better at the game than he is, though. I just can't do stuff fast.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
got this for 25 from red box and aside from co.bat with humans everything is just tedious. kahsyyk reminds me of the Tarzan level in kingdom hearts. why is their so much wall running/sliding? I also have run into the buttons not responding at times. the platforming is a fucking mess. sometimes cal will grab something, sometimes he wont who the fuck knows. And SO much climbing a d platforming. Which is weird since I dont mind it in uncharted. maybe because I'm always moving towards a known goal and Nate and everyone is still engaging with me during those moments.

Although I've not finished it yet, just finishing up dathomir, the story is such a non thing in this game. Most of it just feels aimless with little motivation for why your doing anything and aside from cere everyone is just bland. it almost feels like they forgot to write it until the last minute. I kinda feel like if you are going to have such a player insert character like cal you might as well let me create my own. I rely think the level design might be the worse part though. I think if they get a good focus and time they could turn it around for a sequel though.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
After seeing the game completed inside and out, I think the aim was to eliminate the cheapness that often comes with melee action games, while keeping the focus on exploration. The game explicitly tells you where to go next, but I think the problem they ran into was crafting a story around the Jedi purge because you know going in that the story isn't known for a reason. While I acknowledge the shortcomings in the story and certain technical areas, I appreciated being respected enough to learn the combat and explore. There is a lot of climbing, but you'll find a lot of it circles back on itself unexpectedly. Like a lot of ropes that swing forward also swing back, zip lines too. Things that go high also go up higher. There's like tiers of every area. A double jump tier, a hacking tier, a puzzle tier, a back door tier, and a how the fuck did he get to that tier.

I kind of wish the game had an optional battle tournament where you get to face 100 wacky aliens and bounty hunter for some prize.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Man, I've been playing for 10-12 hours now and died more times than I did in my 120+ hours of Bloodborne.
Not because of the difficulty, but because of the awful platforming at certain points.

This game is like that Seinfeld episode, where Jerry is dating a woman who is pretty one day and ugly the next.
At certain moments it's awesome, but can be a frustrating experience the next.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
7/10 from me. The more I played the more annoyed I became with the jank, lackluster combat, bad platforming, constant sliding, meh main character, and unrewarding exploration. A sequel could be great, but this first entry felt rushed.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I kinda feel like if you are going to have such a player insert character like cal you might as well let me create my own
Nah.
Man, I've been playing for 10-12 hours now and died more times than I did in my 120+ hours of Bloodborne.
Not because of the difficulty, but because of the awful platforming at certain points
Weird sliding aside, I didn't have that many problems with the platforming...

You are not one of those players that travel from point A to B as if they got stung by a bee and make stupid platforming mistakes because they are in a rush? :D

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
OK, I'm kinda hating the combat on Grand Master difficulty lol. I don't know if it's just bad, or if the base PS4 (lack of) performance is just making it needlessly frustrating. I'm struggling to parry even the basic things, and that's like the one thing I'm good at with these games (I focus primarily on Royal Guard on DMC, I played the Souls games with an offhand Shotel for parries, Sekiro being parry focused is why it's one of my favourite games, MGR was trivialised by being able to parry).

Considering difficulty is set by sliders, they could've let you modify your own. Everything is fine with the difficulty as is, other than the fact it's hard to parry when the frame rate just tanks in the middle of fights for no apparent reason.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I really think the game would make a better impression if the cutscenes were fully pre rendered and cleaned up even if that means giving up character customization. It is so irritating and distracting to see a constant slight flickering on the main characters hairline/forehead and in the hair in general because it's not optimized enough. Also there was a cutscene where we were flying under a Star Destroyer looking up and the bottom of that ship was just a textureless grey triangle. It was comically bad and should have been avoided at all costs.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it.
I love the presentation, but the gameplay is janky. So many bugs, input lag (which I gave up parrying), and sliding (some sequences have inconsistent jump).

I don't mind seeing the same crew again for the sequel , but game needs more QA

They actually got Forest Whittaker, and Liam McIntyre(Spartacus)

ONE FINAL broken

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Not because of the difficulty, but because of the awful platforming at certain points.

This game is like that Seinfeld episode, where Jerry is dating a woman who is pretty one day and ugly the next.
At certain moments it's awesome, but can be a frustrating experience the next.

I don't see how this is possible, I mean the game only gives you damage for falling during platforming, and usually not death. Other than some ridiculously precise timed jumps on a few of the sliding sections and a bad falling QTE thing, I thought the platforming was actually very well done, and rather easy once you get force pull and can pull ropes/vines to yourself.

Its less automatic than something like GoW or Uncharted, but that feels right for a Jedi game. The mechanics are well done and its impressive for Respawn's first 3rd person game.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it.
I love the presentation, but the gameplay is janky. So many bugs, input lag (which I gave up parrying), and sliding (some sequences have inconsistent jump).

I don't mind seeing the same crew again for the sequel , but game needs more QA

They actually got Forest Whittaker, and Liam McIntyre(Spartacus)

ONE FINAL broken

This platform isn't broken so much as it didn't expect someone to double jump from that place to reach it. That is equally bad though.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Just started this yesterday on the PS4 Pro and I see you guys are saying to not use performance mode that says it will display the game in 1080p for better framerate...? I am not using it now but man is this game janky/stuttery just moving around and was thinking of switching to performance mode so it runs better but it doesnt...? I am confused lol.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game can fail to load geometry if you move too fast and it also fails to freeze you while it loads. I fell through the world to my death (after about 20 seconds of falling) because of geometry that didn't load in fast enough.

Thank god for SSDs next gen.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I did some exploration after beating the game on Jedi Knight, put it on "story mode"

Who thought this was a good idea? Nothing hurts you. I mean nothing. It's like I just became invulnerable. All the fun drains right out of the combat. Players deserve better than that for an easy mode.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did some exploration after beating the game on Jedi Knight, put it on "story mode"

Who thought this was a good idea? Nothing hurts you. I mean nothing. It's like I just became invulnerable. All the fun drains right out of the combat. Players deserve better than that for an easy mode.
Jedi Knight is the easy mode. Story mode is just that, its for experiencing the story without needing to worry about combat. A lot of games do it (and all games should do it to be honest).