• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
The game can fail to load geometry if you move too fast and it also fails to freeze you while it loads. I fell through the world to my death (after about 20 seconds of falling) because of geometry that didn't load in fast enough.

Thank god for SSDs next gen.

It's pretty damn ridiculous when you are running into an area and the game freezes up for like 5 seconds. Dont think I've ever seen that in a game before TBH

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Jedi Knight is the easy mode. Story mode is just that, its for experiencing the story without needing to worry about combat. A lot of games do it (and all games should do it to be honest).

Nah there's plenty of challenge in Jedi Knight, and I disagree with you completely.

One of the main things that made me love this game was how I can't just start wailing on a melee storm trooper, and how the bigger enemies will absolutely demolish you. I also love the different enemy types, having to conserve STIM packs, etc.

In story mode, you don't even have to pay attention to what's around you. I let a swarm of enemies just hit me for about a minute and was still alive.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Nah there's plenty of challenge in Jedi Knight, and I disagree with you completely.

One of the main things that made me love this game was how I can't just start wailing on a melee storm trooper, and how the bigger enemies will absolutely demolish you. I also love the different enemy types, having to conserve STIM packs, etc.

In story mode, you don't even have to pay attention to what's around you. I let a swarm of enemies just hit me for about a minute and was still alive.
Master and grandmaster up enemy damage and lower your parry timing. They're the normal and hard difficulty. Or the hard and very hard. Jedi Knight is the one above easy so it'd be normal.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
One funny moment in the game: Cal calls Saw Guererra ruthless for killing one storm trooper. Really dude?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Master and grandmaster up enemy damage and lower your parry timing. They're the normal and hard difficulty. Or the hard and very hard. Jedi Knight is the one above easy so it'd be normal.

All I'm saying is that I was sweating quite a few times on the default difficulty, which I consider normal for everyone.

Once you get the force push you can do a lot of damage to enemy stamina (even bosses) which is remarkably effective in most battles. The upgraded push is ridiculously overpowered.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.

Do you not understand what options means...? just dont use Story Mode if you say its bullshit,there 5 difficulty modes lol ;)

Jedi Knight is the easy mode. Story mode is just that, its for experiencing the story without needing to worry about combat. A lot of games do it (and all games should do it to be honest).

Completly agree...****coughsekirocough****

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the main story. This game is fantastic. It easily reaches the heights of the Uncharted titles and is one of the most satisfying single player AAA games I've played since God of War 2018.

There's a clear, focused vision behind this game, the gameplay is varied and challenging (I played on the balanced difficulty one down from the hardest), the story and characters are meaningful and memorable and and it's executed with the highest production value that you'd expect from something with Star Wars in the title.

I don't know if there's space for a sequel but I hope this team gets to make a game like this again.

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I'm about a dozen hours in and I'm just not feeling it. It's not a bad game, but it is aggressively mediocre. Nothing about it stands out whether its the characters, combat, or level design. Navigating the levels and backtracking can be an absolute pain and it does a poor job of communicating direction to the player.

The platforming and puzzles often feel like they just exist as busywork to slow down player progression. Like, what does this add to the game? It may seem like a nitpick but the game is overflowing with little moments like this that eat up time and break the pacing.

and ultimately I feel the game would be a bit better if it stuck to just being a dime a dozen action adventure title instead of trying to ape Dark Souls. It tries so hard to be that kind of game without really understanding what makes those games enjoyable. It doesn't even try to contextualize the Soulslike systems. The combat isn't even very difficult and most bosses are laughably simple (I'm playing on the hardest difficulty) because of limited move sets and heavily telegraphed attacks. One thing I will say is they did do a good job of making a Jedi v Stormtrooper feel true to the movies in that the Stormtroopers aren't 100% pushovers, but still fall one or two well placed parries/attacks.

It's also a very pretty game and I can forgive the performance. The art direction in general is great and some of the skyboxes and vistas are an absolute treat. I'm playing on max settings around a usually stable 60 FPS but it does have a lot of frame dips when you change directions to an area the game has already unloaded or enter a new one. But that's probably my least significant complaint.

I'm just very ambivalent towards it. Just an overall average experience with no personality so far. It wants to be all of these different games (God of War, Dark Souls, Uncharted), but not only does it fail to emulate those games well, it doesn't establish its own identity and plays like a shoddy facsimile of superior titles.

It's also filled with useless loot that don't make me want to explore the environments like I would in other Soulslike games. How many pieces of lightsaber parts that I will never even notice are in this game? How many shitty ponchos? It's cool that there are all of these cosmetics without any MTX, but it's almost like that's the entire point. Like it's just EA saying "hey look we made a game with customization and didn't monetize it!".

I'll try to finish it since I dropped $15 on Access Premiere on a whim, but boy am I unimpressed and unenthused.

BD-1 is cute as fuck. I love this little guy and I usually dont buy into the cutesy droid love

Last edited:

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished this and man, those last 20 minutes or so was amazing as a Star Wars fan. Definitely my GOTY for 2019. I just wish the commercial hadn't spoiled
Vader
for me. Definitely would have been a more holy shit moment for me. But it was executed so well that I'll forgive it. Hopefully we get a sequel.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting back to this game.
Zeffo map kicked my ass bc I got no sense of direction, but I finally got off of it. Explored Dathomir for a bit before heading to Kashyyk rn

I like the feel of it when I'm not getting too lost

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this, I think it's my GOTY. the sense of adventure, story, music and souls-like levels finally pulled me out of a months long gaming rut and I loved every second of it.

RhysD

Mar 21, 2019
Adelaide
Finally getting back to this game.
Zeffo map kicked my ass bc I got no sense of direction, but I finally got off of it. Explored Dathomir for a bit before heading to Kashyyk rn

I like the feel of it when I'm not getting too lost

The entire holo-map system was kinda hard to read sometimes. I got lost a bunch of times. Not sure what they could do though since the maps are so vertical and snaked in their layouts.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
How about in the next game Cal can unlock new landing zones within a map? These can sort of act as a compromise btwn fast travel & backtracking while also keeping the player immersed.

so that way players can choose a landing zone that's closer to the area of the map they need to explore and when they want to leave they can just travel to the nearest landing zone instead of going all the way to the default landing zone

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The only time I've ever had frustrations or difficulty is when the game just throws tons of enemies at you. Specifically the moments when you're fighting waves of foes.

It really reinforces my belief that Respawn doesn't understand what makes Souls games appealing or perhaps this was a remnant of an earlier build of the game that was slapped in to meet the movie tie in deadline. The 1:1 encounters and bosses are extremely easy, it's only when the game becomes a haphazard war of attrition that it's difficult.

Last edited:

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
I am enjoying this game most of the time,still early and playing on normal,but first of all,that map,jesus,I think I never saw a worst map then this...I took me at least one hour to get out of that Zeffo tomb where you learn Push and roll those big spheres and I had finished what I wanted to do...they should allow you to fast travel to your ship at least in those instances...also took me a while to figure how to reach the statue when you have to go back to Zeffo...awful,awful map(doesnt help I get lost easily sometimes in game like this though lol).

And the combat is also hit or miss...I want to roll sometimes but I do somekind of ballerina jump instead that's driving me nuts lol...and playing on Pro,I started getting those loading area's where the game freezes for like 5 seconds sometimes,right in the middle of a jump or slide or whatever lol...but overall I am liking it a lot so far.

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
I wish this game would let me throw my entire RTX 2070 at it and get lighting that looks closer to the cutscenes. I feel like Cal's face is always VERY bright, and when the game makes transitions from cutscene to gameplay it's pretty obvious.

Really enjoying the game though.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So I got this game for Christmas and pretty much played it for a few days straight getting the plat and uncovering every little scrap of data and lore stuff. It's not a perfect game, but it was still a lot of fun and I enjoyed quite a bit of what was presented.

There hasn't been any talk of like...a NG+ patch or anything has there? I'd like to run through it again on the hardest difficulty, but I'd kind of like to keep all my customization options at least.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Man I actually had to reload a save or do a continue 3 times last night in the Zeffo Factory...there is an area where you have to use overcharge and end OC to make electricity on water stop and open a door...slow doesnt seem to work so I swimmed in the water,saw a shiny blue thing and even though it 's probably an ugly poncho or cosmetic,I have to open/reach those lol...

Got stuck in the water once,had to quit the game and continue,then at the same place,I got caught in a little gap on the turbine,had to quit and reload(its a long section that needs redoing but I skip a Boss fight) also dumb me actually trapped myself in a room trying to figure a small similar puzzle on the way back to the other puzzle so I had to reload again...how can they let you do that lol...

And no Juraash,no patch lately,on PS4 anyway.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Man I actually had to reload a save or do a continue 3 times last night in the Zeffo Factory...there is an area where you have to use overcharge and end OC to make electricity on water stop and open a door...slow doesnt seem to work so I swimmed in the water,saw a shiny blue thing and even though it 's probably an ugly poncho or cosmetic,I have to open/reach those lol...

Got stuck in the water once,had to quit the game and continue,then at the same place,I got caught in a little gap on the turbine,had to quit and reload(its a long section that needs redoing but I skip a Boss fight) also dumb me actually trapped myself in a room trying to figure a small similar puzzle on the way back to the other puzzle so I had to reload again...how can they let you do that lol...

And no Juraash,no patch lately,on PS4 anyway.

The solution to that puzzle is kind of odd since to my knowledge, this is the only moment in the game like this.
cut the cable hanging from the ceiling that's fallen into the water

I thought this may have been the solution for a second but second guessed it when I realized it didn't really fit with the language of the game up to that point. But thats it.

Last edited:

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
The solution to that puzzle is kind of odd since to my knowledge, this is the only moment in the game like this.
cut the cable hanging from the ceiling that's fallen into the water

I thought this may have been the solution for a second but second guessed it when I realized it didn't really fit with the language of the game up to that point. But thats it.

Thanks,I will try this later because now I went in another direction and I am caught on the Raise the Spire of Miktrukll part and I have no idea what to do...I raised the damn thing but nothing else happens,I wind up dying or going to a place where you cant really come back without a huge detour because of the stupid save/checkpoint the game has combined with the pointless/useless Souls like respawning of ennemies and certain switches and that awful map...if I would of known this was so heavy in these Tomb Raider like puzzles,I would of probably passed on it,it doesnt work with the Souls like save system...and I hate games that make me go on Youtube for hints...so if anyone has a small hint here,would be appreciated(yes I got Pull).

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Thanks,I will try this later because now I went in another direction and I am caught on the Rise the Spire of Miktrukll part and I have no idea what to do...I raised the damn thing but nothing else happens,I wind up dying or going to a place where you cant really come back without a huge detour because of the stupid save/checkpoint the game has combined with the pointless/useless Souls like respawning of ennemies and certain switches and that awful map...if I would of known this was so heavy in these Tomb Raider like puzzles,I would of probably passed on it,it doesnt work with the Souls like save system...and I hate games that make me go on Youtube for hints...so if anyone has a small hint here,would be appreciated(yes I got Pull).

I'm with you. This game would definitely be better if it didn't have a Souls checkpoint system and allowed some way to more quickly navigate the map.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
This game rules.

I kept losing the quick time events in the Malicos fight because of his hilarious facial expressions as you push back against his sabers.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game over the holidays and got the platinum. Overall it was really great. Will probably end up around #4 or 5 on my GOTY list.

+ Platforming is actually pretty great IMO. There were a few too many sliding sections and few jumps off of slides that were unfair, but otherwise it felt very good and the wallrunning, climbing, jumping were well done and felt solid, and you upgrade your platforming abilities.

+ Combat, overall its very good and satisfying. Its not Sekiro and parrying multiple hits is a weakness, but using force powers and a range of skills was great. And I thought the enemies were great, including the non-humanoid ones. Bosses were mostly good.

+ Story, I thought it was really good and I liked the endings, length of the game is just about perfect and the ending seemed satisfying. Characters were all well done, including the main character and BB-1 is fantastic.

+ Worlds/atmosphere, they nailed the star wars aesthetic, a city would have been cool, but overall the worlds were great, particularly Zeffo and Dathomir.

- Buggy, it probably had the most glitches, pop-in, and bugs in any game I played this year. I didn't have a problem with framerate, but the game could have used 3-6 months of extra polish. And just little things like NPCs repeating the same thing, etc. could have been made more impressive with 3-6 more months. It doesn't distract too much from the core game, but its noticable.

- Inconsistent graphically, game could look stunning at times and bland at others and the pop-in didn't help. Also, Cal's character model looked great and Cere looked last gen; its weird.

- Lack of fast travel, the worlds - particularly Zeffo - are a sprawling maze. The map is helpful for telling you where to go in the main story as you open it up, but hunting down the secrets for a platinum was difficult, and made re-exploring areas a real chore. I think perhaps this could have been a force ability or something that maybe you could open up later to let you fast travel between meditation points. That way you couldn't go too fast during most of the game and your first time through worlds, but later it would make clean up so much better.

Overall I'd give it an 8.5/10 with a lean towards a 9. I was an early believer of this game and hyped it after the preview event and it didn't disappoint.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
I am not finished but I agree so far AndrewGPK

Well finally an interesting way to get back to your ship lol...that was pretty awesome.

Trying to find my way back to the ship,I met this guy that wasnt there before,Broonsie or something that winds you up in jail and the Arena thing...can you beat this guy the first time around or does the change happen once he is down half health,which is when I died.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I finished the game today and I agree with all the 8.5 scores: it's the best Star Wars game in a veryyyy long time and I loved the characters, lore story, and locations. The setup for the sequel was great too and I am excited for the next chapter. BD rocks! I also hope we get more Merrin next time around too.

The lack of polish though and the clunkiness of the combat does detract from the experience alas. I also was very disappointed in the lack of any gear or power system that would make finding treasures more exciting. Cosmetics were fine, yes, but I would have liked lightsaber components to have actual effects on your attack or defense, and make finding new ones more thrilling and worthwhile. Also, the final battle was waaaay too cheap. Too fast and hit too hard. It took me a few tries and plenty of cursing...but the sequence after was totally worth it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The amount of times I've run into an area with enemies not loaded or with them skating towards me in a t-pose is just comically high.

Not to mention turning a corner too quick and an area not properly loaded in yet.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game the other night and overall, I thought it was a pretty good game. I would play it again if there was a NG+.

pros: story, combat is fun one on one, but I kinda hate large groups, all the characters are good, platforming is good, liked how all the planets looked

cons: long load times when you die, group combat is a little janky,

I'd give it a 8/10. If they made a movie out of it, I would watch it. Also I'm totally shipping Cal and Merrin

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Just finished it - 20 hours played - and liked it a lot. Fighting mechanics and controls were solid for the most part. Story was decent; game had a good pace. On PC at 3440x1440 max and overall the visuals were great but some scenes in particular were fucking outstanding - took a lot of screenshots in this one.

Definitely some janky animations and the map could have been done better. Also wish there was 1 or 2 more unique planets to explore.

All in all worth the $50 purchase for me, for sure. Sign me up for a sequel.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Just finished. The general exploration and traversal was decent, and I really enjoyed the combat. I just ran into so many bugs which hindered my enjoyment. The story was solid but I wish they dug into the trauma of splitting yourself from the force for so long. It was a neat angle which wasn't really dug into.

My fiance is all in on Cal/Merrin lol

t6l5fcj7cgz31.png

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
They really need to get moving on patches again along with a NG+ mode. That said, I'm almost done with my second playthrough lol.
I'm out of the loop for this game. Did they announce a NG+ mode? I would totally play the game again then.

How is it's HDR implementation? I got a LG OLED after finishing it. Should I reinstall it just to take a look?

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I'm out of the loop for this game. Did they announce a NG+ mode? I would totally play the game again then.

How is it's HDR implementation? I got a LG OLED after finishing it. Should I reinstall it just to take a look?

No NG+, just hoping. It seems like an obvious addition along with a DLC planet.

I have a TCL series 6 and the HDR looks great to me. The lightsabers look fantastic as they should, and colors generally pop really well. I don't think you can adjust the calibration though in the visual settings like most games (I'm on a One X), but whatever they have it set to looks fantastic.

Last edited:

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I never knew that Chris Avellone wrote for this game. The story is a bit hurried but not bad. He also wrote KOTOR 2, the best written SW game. His interviews for the game are interesting. People focused on his (correct) criticism of Luke in TLJ but this stood out to me more:

"Getting back into it was very, very smooth," said Avellone "When I was working on KoTOR 2, getting into the Star Wars universe was very rocky because I didn't like Star Wars and I didn't like the fact that we were doing a Star Wars project. I was like, 'I left Black Isle for this?' But then after a few weeks of researching, watching the movies again, I rediscovered my nine-year-old self and was really excited."

He grew to like SW in his adult years. Cool. Bring him back for another game but more focus on story delivery that is less exposition-y. The game is a bit Kojima-esque in that way.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Wondering if anyone has come across this. On Kashyyyk, I have a every chest and secret in all individual locations but the total chest count for the planet shows as 26/27. Also Imperial Refinery on Kashyyyk shows as 96% explored even though I've gotten all chests and secrets and been everywhere. Maybe there is some small section on this planet with a single chest I just haven't been to yet. Thanks in advance for any help.

Just finished the game and I really enjoyed it...

detail thoughts
this game has made me realized realized that I'm not a fan of souls combat... I uh don't like it.

i felt like the story took awhile to take off, but when it did take off? It was awesome.
reminds me of tomb raider reboot over uncharted.

speaking of: the best set piece in my opinion Wasn't the bombastic ones, but this one really creepy one that felt like some horror shit. Totally made my skin crawl in the best way.

cal was a good character, but like the story... took time to grow into being good.

the second sister was an alright villain, I didn't like that she was so close to Vader & Kylo ren. Like give us new villains!

all in all? I like the game & cant wait to see where the ip goes.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Wondering if anyone has come across this. On Kashyyyk, I have a every chest and secret in all individual locations but the total chest count for the planet shows as 26/27. Also Imperial Refinery on Kashyyyk shows as 96% explored even though I've gotten all chests and secrets and been everywhere. Maybe there is some small section on this planet with a single chest I just haven't been to yet. Thanks in advance for any help.
This happened to me as well and there was a couple of small areas I didn't see. I googled it and found it right away with like one of the first vids that popped up. It's hard to explain and type out so I hope this helps.

I'll try and type it out anyway :p so on the eastern most part of that area is where those large water tanks are with the rotating platforms. There's one area, where the dead Wookiee is at, look up and there's a platform to check out. It's easy to miss. The next is over by that other spinning platform where the fire is at on the second floor. Climb the side gates up to that platform. There's a pole you can climb that gets you over by that fire. Hope this helps

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
This happened to me as well and there was a couple of small areas I didn't see. I googled it and found it right away with like one of the first vids that popped up. It's hard to explain and type out so I hope this helps.

I'll try and type it out anyway :p so on the eastern most part of that area is where those large water tanks are with the rotating platforms. There's one area, where the dead Wookiee is at, look up and there's a platform to check out. It's easy to miss. The next is over by that other spinning platform where the fire is at on the second floor. Climb the side gates up to that platform. There's a pole you can climb that gets you over by that fire. Hope this helps

Thank you so much! I'll check these out asap and hopefully that does it. Been really frustrating trying to finish up this planet lol.

Oct 29, 2017
IMHO...

So I started the game. I'm about 2-3 hours in...so far it's really a mixed bag. Although it's fun at times, the mechanics can feel unpolished and unfinished. The parry and evade system both feel unfinished and tacked on which ends up making the things feel off and clunky. Things work better when fighting Stormtroopers but against animals, the issues become more apparent. Maybe it's the way they implemented the animals enemies rather than the combat system itself? The way the animals also appear out of no where in trying to surprise you, like on Zeffo, just comes across as forced. With respect to the difficulty levels, it's like the is trying to present itself as something that it can't hold up to. The mechanics aren't up to snuff to compensate for the difficulty. Then there's the feeling that the game has an identity crisis. It's a bit of everything and to me, it can sometimes feel off. The target locking system during combat just doesn't feel fluid enough and I can't really figure it out.

On the other hand, when things work, it can be so much fun! Successfully parrying a Stormtrooper feels great. When I see an attack coming in and I evade just in time, it feels fantastic. Blasting lasers back at Stormtroopers is fun. The environments are beautiful and a joy to walk through. Walking through the ship and appreciating the details within, is just awesome. I was in awe when I walked into the cockpit while flying to Zeffo. Bracca was a lot of fun and done well, especially for being the tutorial chapter. Cameron Monaghan does a great job as Cal.

There's a lot to like about the game but there are also issues that stand out thus holding the game back from being something really great and different for a Star Wars game. Maybe I just need to spend more time to get used to the mechanics more. The game is more of an exploration game than anything else. I have to remember to keep looking at it this way.

Last edited:

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Great can't get the platinum as one secret in the venator wreckage isn't showing up. The one by the zipline that leads down to the imperial dig site just below the stim container. I have no faith they will ever fix it.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Finished the game a bit ago. I really liked it. I played it on the second highest difficulty. It does have issues, but overall it's second place for GotY for me. I think the world building and setting is really solid. I liked learning about all the different creatures and exploring the different locations, each planet felt very distinctive in its own way. The gameplay did a little bit of everything but wasn't perfect or great at any one thing. For instance, I think it has much better combat than the average AAA game, but not quite as polished as Souls games. On the other hand, there are more platforming and traversal options than Dark Souls, but nothing close to even an average platformer.

The story and characters did draw me in, though I think they played it a little too safe. I think in general for next game, they could try to be more creative, both in story and in gameplay. Overall I'd give this game an 8.5/10.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone help? The game perpetually thinks that I am on some windy planet or something, and so now in every cutscene the clothes for every character are going nuts, as if in a storm. It won't seem to go away. Anyone else have this bug? Tried resetting a few times... Incredibly immersion breaking.