• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone help? The game perpetually thinks that I am on some windy planet or something, and so now in every cutscene the clothes for every character are going nuts, as if in a storm. It won't seem to go away. Anyone else have this bug? Tried resetting a few times... Incredibly immersion breaking.

I had that bug, but it just sort of fixed itself as I carried on playing.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's kinda silly lol. It started for me from when I first got on the ship at the end of the intro, and lasted through until midway through the second planet.

As I said, it did fix itself, but I don't know how, sorry.
Yes! That is exactly how it happened to me. OK, so there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
I have found so many characters in T poses that i'm starting to think this is the actual pose for the characters and not just for the mocap.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Finished and got the plat at the same time. Had a great time with this. Did need some more time in the oven though. The ending section was brilliant. Can't wait to see what they come up with for the sequel. Hope it's alot more polished though. Newest update Def seems to make it more stable in performance mode for me. Unless the last section was just way more polished than the rest.

The map was the hardest boss. Person who came up with that piece of shit needs a stern talking to.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, I haven't followed the patches too closely but where has performance landed in both modes on PS4 Pro? I was looking to start this game soon and was curious.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Having loved Sekiro, I was expecting to dig this game's combat. Unfortunately, I am an hour in and I kinda hate it so far. It just feels really laggy and unresponsive to me. I'm hoping something clicks, but I am definitely starting to lose faith.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I find this game quite hard. The combat clicks with me but it seems I cant really line things up the way I want to.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone let me know how close to the end I am?

I just went back to Dathomir after getting a new kyber crystal on Ilum.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the story.

Overall... Man, that was a really fucking solid game. Some of the enemy encounters were annoying (namely the bounty hunters and the security droids), the game could have used a bit more polish, and the ending was kind of abrupt, but overall, I loved my time with the game. I didn't pay too much attention to coverage of the game before playing it, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that it basically mixes elements of Dark Souls and Metroid Prime into a Star Wars-y package. Loved just exploring the various worlds and uncovering secrets while hunting for clues to the holocron.

Overall, I think the story was pretty good. I think the game did a pretty good job of characterizing all of the main cast (though less so for Merrin, mainly due to her appearing so late in the story). It was nice seeing the flashbacks to Cal's Padawan training, and how Order 66 eventually happened during the middle of it. Also was glad we got to see flashbacks with Cere and Trilla; while I wish we'd gotten to see more of them together, I think the few glimpses we got worked well enough.

Also, did not expect Vader to show up in this. When Trilla suddenly choked up and everything went silent, I thought, "... fuck." They did a great job of making Vader someone to be feared in that moment, as well as afterwards when Cal was escaping him.
So yeah, all in all, fantastic game. Really glad I ended up getting it, because it's pretty much everything I want from a story-driven Star Wars game. I really hope we get a sequel (I know it's rumored, but I feel like no EA Star Wars game is safe from being canceled for one reason or another).

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the story.

Overall... Man, that was a really fucking solid game. Some of the enemy encounters were annoying (namely the bounty hunters and the security droids), the game could have used a bit more polish, and the ending was kind of abrupt, but overall, I loved my time with the game. I didn't pay too much attention to coverage of the game before playing it, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that it basically mixes elements of Dark Souls and Metroid Prime into a Star Wars-y package. Loved just exploring the various worlds and uncovering secrets while hunting for clues to the holocron.

Overall, I think the story was pretty good. I think the game did a pretty good job of characterizing all of the main cast (though less so for Merrin, mainly due to her appearing so late in the story). It was nice seeing the flashbacks to Cal's Padawan training, and how Order 66 eventually happened during the middle of it. Also was glad we got to see flashbacks with Cere and Trilla; while I wish we'd gotten to see more of them together, I think the few glimpses we got worked well enough.

Also, did not expect Vader to show up in this. When Trilla suddenly choked up and everything went silent, I thought, "... fuck." They did a great job of making Vader someone to be feared in that moment, as well as afterwards when Cal was escaping him.
So yeah, all in all, fantastic game. Really glad I ended up getting it, because it's pretty much everything I want from a story-driven Star Wars game. I really hope we get a sequel (I know it's rumored, but I feel like no EA Star Wars game is safe from being canceled for one reason or another).
Agreed with pretty much everything you said and I'm sure a sequel is definitely coming. Although I'd be down with a story driven Mandalorian game.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, as a quick update, the combat DID click with me at some point. I think there are a few elements that were holding me back initially. Despite taking heavy amounts of inspiration from Sekiro, the way the parry works is definitely slightly different. You can't cancel out of your regular attacks with it, there is recovery on the parry itself, and the dodge has a surprising amount of recovery frames (you can effectively dodge an attack only to be hit by a followup attack before you have recovered from your dodge).

Beyond that, this is obviously a game with a lot of technical hiccups. So, it isn't uncommon for the game to get framey mid-combat. In a game that has such a heavy emphasis on parrying, this can really screw up your ability to react effectively. Also, it DOES feel like there is some input lag, though that could just be a combination of all the above factors coalescing.

Overall, I ended up enjoying my time with Fallen Order. It is definitely rough around the edges, and it is unfortunate that there wasn't a more bosses (it almost feels like there are only a handful of "real" boss encounters, and many of those are fighting the same opponent), but I do feel like the combat ended up providing the most compelling Jedi experience yet. A sequel that builds off of everything that worked, and polishes all the rough elements, could be truly incredible.

Last edited:

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Okay, as a quick update, the combat DID click with me at some point. I think there are a few elements that were holding me back initially. Despite taking heavy amounts of inspiration from Sekiro, the way the parry works is definitely slightly different. You can't cancel out of your regular attacks with it, there is recovery on the parry itself, and the dodge has a surprising amount of recovery frames (you can effectively dodge an attack only to be hit by a followup attack before you have recovered from your dodge).

Beyond that, this is obviously a game with a lot of technical hiccups. So, it isn't uncommon for the game to game framey mid-combat. In a game that has such a heavy emphasis on parrying, this can really screw up your ability to react effectively. Also, it DOES feel like there is some input lag, though that could just be a combination of all the above factors coalescing.

Overall, I ended up enjoying my time with Fallen Order. It is definitely rough around the edges, and it is unfortunate that there wasn't a more bosses (it almost feels like there are only a handful of "real" boss encounters, and many of those are fighting the same opponent), but I do feel like the combat ended up providing the most compelling Jedi experience yet. A sequel that builds off of everything that worked, and polishes all the rough elements, could be truly incredible.

There's definitely input lag at my end (base PS4). Sometimes, inputs like dodge or stim regens don't register at all.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely input lag at my end (base PS4). Sometimes, inputs like dodge or stim regens don't register at all.

That was another issue altogether. I didn't encounter it frequently, but it happened just enough for me to be certain that it wasn't just FFS (fat fingers syndrome).

It is definitely a game with a litany of technical issues (at least on consoles).

Last edited:

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it.

I really enjoyed it as a whole, but I would have really loved to explore more planets. Dathomir wasn't particularly fun, nor were the
undead sisters (it felt more like something from a Call of Duty/Destiny game than Star Wars)

Other than a few other things that could have been given extra polish, I think it was a solid game and I would love a sequel!

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Pay attention to the locked/unlocked doors and make sure to remember that there are multiple floors.

Yes I know that, but the actual map layout/design is terrible. It's impossible to tell where paths go with so many disconnected pieces and the semi-transparent design frequently has elements overlapping each other. I mean look at this mess:

star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-review-map.jpg

It's so hard to read that because what's in front of what is unclear so you end up having to constantly rotate it to get any sense of direction. Then on top of that the actual movement is clunky and I wind up with the map camera in the walls or other places I don't want it to be.

As I said, I like the game and I'm almost at the end but the map is the most unhelpful map I've ever seen in a game.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yes I know that, but the actual map layout/design is terrible. It's impossible to tell where paths go with so many disconnected pieces and the semi-transparent design frequently has elements overlapping each other. I mean look at this mess:

star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-review-map.jpg

It's so hard to read that because what's in front of what is unclear so you end up having to constantly rotate it to get any sense of direction. Then on top of that the actual movement is clunky and I wind up with the map camera in the walls or other places I don't want it to be.

As I said, I like the game and I'm almost at the end but the map is the most unhelpful map I've ever seen in a game.
What you're talking about is less of an inherent issue with the map and moreso a issue specific to Zeffo. Which is the is not just big but is full of winding pathways.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
What you're talking about is less of an inherent issue with the map and moreso a issue specific to Zeffo. Which is the is not just big but is full of winding pathways.

Nah, I just finished Dathomir and it's just as bad. Not sure why you're being so defensive of the map, I find it confusing and trying to challenge my opinion isn't going to make me change it. This isn't my first game lol

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I actually thought the map was pretty great. However, I just came off of playing Control which has, quite possibly, the worst map in a game. So maybe that flavored my opinion.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
The map is serviceable at best. I totally get the issues with the transparency and the massive gaps along winding paths that just makes traversing certain areas hilariously touristic.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the main story tonight, the ending section was great.

Overall I think the game is a solid 8.5/10 for me. Some parts were fantastic other parts not so much. The things I didn't like were the constant backtracking and the mostly useless map. The environments looked fantastic on the X1X. The character models looks great in cut scenes but the lighting could be pretty flat during gameplay. The combat was mostly fun but sometimes a bit janky, same with the traversal.

Look forward to a sequel or similar game set in the SW universe :)

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the main story tonight, the ending section was great.

Overall I think the game is a solid 8.5/10 for me. Some parts were fantastic other parts not so much. The things I didn't like were the constant backtracking and the mostly useless map. The environments looked fantastic on the X1X. The character models looks great in cut scenes but the lighting could be pretty flat during gameplay. The combat was mostly fun but sometimes a bit janky, same with the traversal.

Look forward to a sequel or similar game set in the SW universe :)

The funny thing is that the backtracking is pretty consistently bad (nearly every story section ends with you backtracking through the entire world). Yet, the levels were clearly inspired by the From Software system of having pathways and shortcuts unlock as you progress. Why this is funny is because backtracking is almost never an issue in From games. They all do a pretty great job of having stages that wind around themselves (greatly expediting backtracking).

I feel like across the spectrum people agree that this game was, at the very least, a great proof of concept. I honestly think they are going to rock the sequel.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Just finished it also. So, so good. Really steps up in the second half of the game and when the combat clicks, it's great. I played on Jedi Master and there was a few annoying bits but generally wasn't unfair. Dropped to Story mode difficulty whilst I clean up the collectibles and it's amazing to see the difference, lol.

the crush move by the battle droid does like no damage compared to like a third on Jedi Master.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is that the backtracking is pretty consistently bad (nearly every story section ends with you backtracking through the entire world). Yet, the levels were clearly inspired by the From Software system of having pathways and shortcuts unlock as you progress. Why this is funny is because backtracking is almost never an issue in From games. They all do a pretty great job of having stages that wind around themselves (greatly expediting backtracking).

I feel like across the spectrum people agree that this game was, at the very least, a great proof of concept. I honestly think they are going to rock the sequel.

Yeah and the worst was when I somehow missed a shortcut at the end of my first time through Zeffo so not only did I end up going back through the entire planet to leave but I had to do it again when the game sent you back there a second time.

Like you said though the game has a very solid foundation so I hope they end up doing a more polished sequel.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just started this up. Is the audio really muffled or just me? Like it doesn't seem like it's just the usual audio mixing problems some games have where the dialogue is overwhelmed by the other environmental sounds or music.

like it sometimes sounds like how audio would sound if you had like a lower quality audio stream or something.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Just started playing this and I am really enjoying it. I know this is like baby's first Dark Souls, but the level of difficulty is just right for me.

Crazy how much exploration there is too, really loving this.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and the worst was when I somehow missed a shortcut at the end of my first time through Zeffo so not only did I end up going back through the entire planet to leave but I had to do it again when the game sent you back there a second time.

Like you said though the game has a very solid foundation so I hope they end up doing a more polished sequel.

Oh yeah, that shortcut goes right back to ship. I remember reading reviews that said you had to walk back to you ship and thinking that they were somewhat off base because of short cuts like that but I guess they could be missed (and most shortcuts weren't nearly that helpful). For me I had some trouble, but not too much figuring out where to go in the story - usually the colored doors made it decipherable. On the clean up for the platinum though, finishing 100% on Zeffo was pretty frustrating figuring out where to go and there was one glitch where I had 95% of a certain area and could not figure it out - ended up being something I had already done that didn't register for some reason.

Fast travel would have helped. Maybe as a mid-to-late game thing for when you have to revisit levels.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Alright, so when you're on the last planet of the game and you come across "Swamp of Sacrifice" - do EVERYTHING (and any conncenting zones) there before you leave. It is a giant pain in the ass to return, I legit spent an hour trying and I don't even understand how I got back.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
One of the ways I mitigated issues with the map was checking it each time I entered a new area. I made sure I understood where I just was and how things connected. Not ideal, but made traversal more sensical.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have some Best Buy credit and was looking into picking this up but was surprised to see it's still full price- $59.99 (PC)...WTH?...with all the bugs and performance issues I was expecting at least a 30% drop in price by now...I know it got a lot of good reviews but I also hear that it has some performance issues...has the game been patched enough on PC that it's worth getting now?

player reviews are all over the place...some call it underrated...some say it's overrated etc

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I have some Best Buy credit and was looking into picking this up but was surprised to see it's still full price- $59.99 (PC)...WTH?...with all the bugs and performance issues I was expecting at least a 30% drop in price by now...I know it got a lot of good reviews but I also hear that it has some performance issues...has the game been patched enough on PC that it's worth getting now?

player reviews are all over the place...some call it underrated...some say it's overrated etc

I just bought it off PSN with the deal of the week promo and started it over the weekend.
Its been patched to hell and back but there are still some visual glitches in and out of cut scenes and weird jank with platforming segments.

Framerate can also stutter (PS4 Pro) but I'd imagine this is less an issue on PC.

FWIW, I'm still enjoying the game quite a bit despite the issues; its got an intriguing story, decent light saber combat when you come to grips with it, and I like Cal more than I thought I would. The visuals as well are really great with some awesome art direction/ set pieces.

I'm only wrapping up the second story planet Kashyyk, but I'm leaning towards it being quite good and semi-underrated atm.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I just finished this game last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit; it's probably the best Star Wars game I've played at least since Republic Commando at least. It's probably better than Republic Commando.

Yeah, I also had trouble getting out of Dathomir. Otherwise I found using the map very enjoyable.

I thought the ending was underwhelming.
I'm not sure Trilla's brief redemption was earned. I also don't think Vader needed to show up at the end as a final twist. I did like that Cael destroyed the holocron; it was building to that and showed that he actually learned something from the whole mess. Story wise, nothing ever quite matched the great reveal of Trilla as the inquisitor. That was definitely a top video game star wars moment for me.

The tech issues on my base PS4 seemed to get worse toward the end. But if that's the only way you have to play it, I wouldn't let that stop you.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Played through this entire game and still never felt like I got the parry timing down in this game. Lol
Yep, exactly why I'm playing on the lowest difficulty. I'm just not good at this kind of combat and that's okay.

I picked this back up last night after a month or so away from it. Back to Kashyyk, the part with the
bird
and that is definitely a standout section for me so far. I think it might be because it felt like the most video gamey of the whole thing, traversing through the treetops. Really cool area and great visuals.

I still feel like there's just a little bit of jank in things like sliding. One bump and you lose all momentum and it kills the moment.