• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Regret Truth

Oct 28, 2017
Running I7-6700k 4ghz
16gb ram
980ti

When I launch the game fps is in the TEENS. Even the menu screens. I'm not expecting 60ps or anything but performance shouldn't be this bad.

Any ideas? I've got the latest drivers, closed all unnecessary processes updated windows, etc.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Any ideas? I've got the latest drivers, closed all unnecessary processes updated windows, etc.

Maybe double check that you're running on the right adapter, i.e the nVidia card and not the Intel IGP. I don't have the game, but there's usually a place to either change adapter, or you can look for logs, or you check with task manager on Windows 10 which graphics card sees load.

Regret Truth

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe double check that you're running on the right adapter, i.e the nVidia card and not the Intel IGP. I don't have the game, but there's usually a place to either change adapter, or you can look for logs, or you check with task manager on Windows 10 which graphics card sees load.
Good idea, but Fallen Order is the only game that has this issue.

This is so bizarre :(

EDIT: Doesn't matter what resolution I use. The frame rate seems to be capped at 15 FPS. Never had this issue before...

Last edited:

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
2080 Ti in SLI, I get ~100-105ish FPS in most areas, drops down to 90s in others. 4k, G-Sync, HDR everything Maxed. Using Origin Version. I am on 1st planet you visit after the starting planet/start of the game.

Game hitches are mostly gone after disabling Origin Cloud Save (Thanks for the tip lugubriousmoron !!)

There are still game stutters though and that appears to be an asset data stream issue in the engine itself, not PC related. Any type of new area or new textures it needs to load, there is a stutter while it gets all the assets. I am running on a NVM SSD so no bottleneck there.

Loading times after death also seem to be a little wonky. I died to the Frog creature way to many times, and some respawns took close to a minute, while others took maybe less than 5-10 seconds. Not sure what caused the shorter vs longer reload times.

Last edited:

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
So I have my PC connected right now to my TV and all resolutions are showing up in fullscreen for me, including 1440p. Nvidia settings have scaling set to Display, keep aspect ratio. Color settings are set to forced YCbCr422 so that I don't have to worry about Output Dynamic Range and HDR (my TV picks this up automatically and knows to use Limited). I also tried using Default color settings and that worked fine too, but was never a fan of default color settings because it didn't work well for me before when connected to my TV (things like custom resolutions would change black level from limited and full on it's own. I'd rather have it stay on one setting only to keep things consistent). Even tried HDR and that was fine too.

Ah I see, something must have changed with Windows because before now 1440p would work without me having to have display scaling enabled at all, instead of aspect ratio I would just have it off and 1440p would still work, now however I need to have that turned on in order for it to work.

The only problem is, doesn't display scaling introduce blur and lack of sharpness even at native res when it is turned on in Nvidia control panel? With it being off completely it would mean that the scaling would be pixel perfect? Or am I wrong in thinking that?

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
So glad that I stopped myself from buying this for the 1X in the local store yesterday. Runs and looks really great on my rig so far.

It's not the best looking game this year but it looks clean as hell at 1440p. Could easily fool me that's it's much higher than that.

Ryzen 5 2600X (not overclocked)
RTX 2060
16GB RAM

View Distance: H
Shadow Quality: M
A-A: E
Texture Quality: E
Visual Effects: H
PP: H

Getting a damn near locked 60 so far.

might try these settings for a locked experience, thanks for sharing

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Ok someone please help me out:

Game runs locked 60 95% of the time max settings, but then as I play it will drop to 4fps and be locked there, causing me to force close the game.

Is there some sort of leak? Is anyone else experiencing this?

GTX 1070
i7-7700
16GB RAM
SSD
Latest drivers

Last edited:

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
6700k stock
16Gb
SSD

Game runs smoothly enough (1440p, High shadows, AA and post-process, everything else on Epic). Playing on a 120hz LG C9, gave it a 90fps limit in-game but capped it at 60 in RT to give the GPU some breathing room, feels a little better than limiting to 60 in-game. Getting the occasional stutter from loading, but that's the same as everyone.

HDR looks great for my part.

Last edited:

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6700k stock
16Gb
SSD

Game runs smoothly enough (High shadows, AA and post-process, everything else on Epic). Playing on a 120hz LG C9, gave it a 90fps limit in-game but capped it at 60 in RT to give the GPU some breathing room, feels a little better than limiting to 60 in-game. Getting the occasional stutter from loading, but that's the same as everyone.

HDR looks great for my part.
Res?

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Well, can access all the options now. I think it was because it was set to 4K as that was what it was set to when I had it on my 4K tv. So at that resolution I was able to get access to the options. But because when the game initially booted it set the res below my monitor (3440x1440 ) at something like 2560x1152 or something and at that res I couldn't acces the options with my controller. Anyway, when I started after setting to 4K it's fine. But why set it to a lower res than my monitor?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Fixed my crashes but now I'm stuck lol

How the hell do I get back to the ship on the 2nd planet? Tried getting back and instead stumbled across that destroyed star destroyer....And I can't get back

Oh and disabling cloud saves didn't fix the stutters for me

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
In people's experience, does fullscreen or borderless stutter less? What about vsync solutions (in-game, driver control panel...)? I don't mind the occasional stutter from loading but I'd like to ensure I have the best framepacing possible.

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
1070gtx
16gb ram

I can't get 60fps at 1080p medium settings

However I can run almost rock solid 4K/30fps at High settings 98% of the time with some occasional hitches which seems kinda weird considering I struggle for 60 at 1080. On Epic settings any resolution it's just too all over the place.

I also played on Xbox X last night and wanted to compare the two. My PC definitely runs it better. Really wish I could get 60fps but here's hoping for a nice performance patch.

steez

Oct 28, 2017
Fixed my crashes but now I'm stuck lol

How the hell do I get back to the ship on the 2nd planet? Tried getting back and instead stumbled across that destroyed star destroyer....And I can't get back

Oh and disabling cloud saves didn't fix the stutters for me

Took ME FOREVER to find my way back to that damn ship. The map is like some kind of ant colony tunnel system or something. It's extremely easy to get lost.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Are people noticing stutters even on variable refresh monitors?
Yes. I've also seen screen tearing WITH Gsync enabled, so I think there might be something in-game that hitches sometimes.

I moved it over to my CRT and it has been working better at 1600x1200/120hz, but even then it's not a huge performance increase over 1440p, which leads me to believe that there's something off with the game. Not enough to ruin my experience at all, just an odd thing I noticed.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1080ti (2Ghz)
6700k (4.5 Ghz)
16Gb DDR4 (3Ghz)
SSD
GSync
W10
Origin

1440p, all settings epic
Film grain, CA and motion blur off.

Almost consistently above 70fps outdoors, in the 100s indoors. Not benchmarked yet and I'm only 3 hours in, but lowest I've seen is 62fps during a stutter which happens once in a while. Capping framerate seems to make no difference.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Was expecting the worse regarding stuttering with some of the comments in this thread however I am happy with how it is running on my 4670k & 2060 Super. I have maxed it but have it running at 1080 which probably helps...

There are dips from 60 when you hit a loading area but I wouldn't go as far as to say it feels bad to me and 95% of the time it is locked at 60.

sLaugR

Nov 15, 2019
I have been lucky and playing on everything maxed out at around 60-110 fps, up til now, I have only had occasional stutters...
Well, I have now hit a point where the game is so broken that I can't proceed.

I have now returned to that Zeph planet (whatever its called) for a second time...and instead of stutters - I now get slow motion and unresponsive controls. Just stays in slow motion until I alt F4. If I try clicking the mouse on my desktop it beeps as I've never heard before. Re-launch the game and its still running slow-mo from the beginning. Have to restart my PC.

It is happening so often I have tried 15 times to get to the next save point past the puzzle I am on but to no avail. Pain in the a**e as I was loving the game!

Z3RO300

Nov 15, 2019
What's the best place to buy it? Steam or origin? I know the steam version launches a pseudo origin anyway though so is there any benefits of having a game like that on steam?

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Was expecting the worse regarding stuttering with some of the comments in this thread however I am happy with how it is running on my 4670k & 2060 Super. I have maxed it but have it running at 1080 which probably helps...

There are dips from 60 when you hit a loading area but I wouldn't go as far as to say it feels bad to me and 95% of the time it is locked at 60.

I have a 2060 non super, and after playing a bit more, a little over an hour it stays basically locked 60, with the occasional stutter...with gpu usage really never above 80 percent, outdoors. The cutscenes do hitch, and ill get some random stutters here and there but nothing too annoying. Could be better but i wouldnt say im disapointed

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit confused by hdr. I hooked this game up to my C8 and have hdr set up for Windows, but I am not seeing any hdr setting in options (just the normal brightness settings).

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
What's the best place to buy it? Steam or origin? I know the steam version launches a pseudo origin anyway though so is there any benefits of having a game like that on steam?
You can do a month of origin access premier for $15 and play it there.

Also, I tried skimming the thread and didn't see it, is anyone else having a weird audio bug where dialogue is faint? It's like the audio is mixed wrong and I can't hear what anyone says at all.

Last edited:

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Having the stuttering here made a fight pretty annoying. At least it's replicable. It's definitely got some loading issues that need fixing in a patch.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
The opening of the game was an unplayable stuttery mess for me. Restarted, Windows updated, game's essentially locked at 1080p/60fps now on a 980/2600 with a few things dropped down to medium (aka low). There's occasionally some stutter stuff entering new areas, but that isn't much of a ding for me since the parts it happens in basically don't have any actual gameplay. The mouse smoothing or bounding or friction or whatever it is is pretty terrible, though. Might try out my Steam controller later.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on a 2080ti, 7700K @ 4.5ghz , 16gb ddr4 3000mhz and SSD

I get about 60fps at 4K with HDR. Drops below a bit in spots but gsync has made it pretty unnoticeable. I have noticed the dynamic res scaler when I tried it, but its not too invasive.

There's probably a few settings that would be easy wins to turn down to High, but its hard to tell what they do. I can tell the difference with Shadows on High vs Epic, and Post Processing looks a bit different, but not sure if enough to justify Epic. Need one of the settings vids from DF or HUB.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Alright I'm confused by some videos posted showing 1060's running the game on epic at 70fps. Anyone else with a 1060 max q having similar performance? I know that the mobile chip is a couple % slower than the desktop variant, but I'm getting 45-54fps on high setting at 1080, how am I loosing more than 30fps? Maybe it's more tied to the cpu. Need someone else with a laptop to answer lol
You have to keep in mind that the 1060 Max-Q is 10-15% slower than the full power laptop 1060, which itself is then 10-15% slower than the desktop 1060. So you may be giving up a lot of ground to the users whose videos you are watching, especially if they are overclocking.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
So I have a 1080 and 32gb of ram and I am getting some insane stuttering on the first planet. Anyone have a good fix?

hollams

Nov 7, 2017
You can do a month of origin access premier for $15 and play it there.

Also, I tried skimming the thread and didn't see it, is anyone else having a weird audio bug where dialogue is faint? It's like the audio is mixed wrong and I can't hear what anyone says at all.

I'm using the 5.1 option and I had to turn up the volume of my center speaker by 2 decibels in order to hear the dialog.

snesiscool

Feb 15, 2018
Anyone know how it performs with a Ryzen 3 2200G? I'm not planning to upgrade until Ryzen 4000 comes out (and then I'll probably just get a 3000-series CPU instead).

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I sure am loving the 7-12 seconds of freezing/stuttering that seem to kick in during all these pivotal story cutscenes. There was even one part where the game froze for about 30-40 seconds with my controller rumbling like crazy before it finally managed to avoid a full on crash.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
I can't play games with loading stutters so I'll wait patches. Can someone test if the stutters are reduced disabling or lowering shadows? It's a common problem with some UE4 games.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Runs pretty smooth at 60 FPS but I get hard lock ups on a regular when it dips to about 22 FPS.

Cutscenes seem to struggle and keep stuttering.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Still in the intro/tutorial stuff. Cutscenes are stuttery, as are some random moments during gameplay (specifically sliding), but I am otherwise getting 60fps most of the time (I do have it capped at 60).

1440p, Epic settings

i7-4790k
GTX 1080
16gb ram

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
This game runs surprisingly well on my PC. I thought my 970GTX woukd struggle but aside from the very occasional hitch moving into new environments I can run it pretty flawlessly on 1080p and most settings on Epic.