• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I posted this earlier but I'll say it again here. I think playing defensively makes sense in this case. Cal is a padawan. Well a former padawan. He's not a Jedi master or even a knight. So he's not this unstoppable machine. So to me the playing defensively and really taking your time makes sense as Cal isn't just going to jump into the fray. He's not that powerful in the force and doesn't have that much training. He isn't anywhere near where Starkiller was in TFU.

It just better be fun. I agree with the other poster, when i play these type of SW games i want to have the freedom to go wild with the force and experiment during encounters. I dont want to play defensively at all. If people are expecting something that allows that level of freedom without harsh punishment akin to the Jedi Knight series they arent going to think to themselves "Hmmm this isnt what i expected or as fun as it should be but that makes sense because Cal is a padawan, maybe ill get to be free in the sequel".

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Preordered, ready to play the game regardless of it being bad or not, it's a third person action/adventure single player star wars game directed by stig asmussen, what else could you ask for?

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Ahh... do you remember the times when gaming journals came with demo CDs? It is not an issue of entitlement, but a change in the industry. Once we had that now we don't and we can argue its merits all day long and not change it back. We gave it away and now we accept we are not entitled to a demo or trial even if we pay for a service partly meant for it??? Wow... As if they are paying us to play their games now and that is why we don't have any rights to complain huh?

We really weren't entitled to those as well. A publisher doesn't owe us a demo or a trial. Again, there's plenty of 3 hour demo impressions to read through and there will be full reviews by next week. If those aren't good enough for you, just watch the gameplay snippets that will be released

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to play this game and properly explore. I really hope the game is decent and runs well on the original launch PS4.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
[
Preordered, ready to play the game regardless of it being bad or not, it's a third person action/adventure single player star wars game directed by stig asmussen, what else could you ask for?
Didn't realize he worked on God of War earlier in his career. Really excited for this, just hoping to see a Digital Foundry breakdown to know where to buy it (assuming Xbox).

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this game is good. I played through the Battlefront 2 campaign and it was shit.
Although I have my own slew of problems with that game, the campaign wasn't one of them (apart from the promise of playing as a stormtrooper being broken within the first 30 minutes of the game). Some of those missions (the one on Jakku and the one as Kylo at the end come to mind) were fucking awesome.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[
Didn't realize he worked on God of War earlier in his career. Really excited for this, just hoping to see a Digital Foundry breakdown to know where to buy it (assuming Xbox).
He's the director of IMO the best God of War boss sequences ever, the first part of GoW 3 is still unmatched to this day. Really exited to play this.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
It just better be fun. I agree with the other poster, when i play these type of SW games i want to have the freedom to go wild with the force and experiment during encounters. I dont want to play defensively at all. If people are expecting something that allows that level of freedom without harsh punishment akin to the Jedi Knight series they arent going to think to themselves "Hmmm this isnt what i expected or as fun as it should be but that makes sense because Cal is a padawan, maybe ill get to be free in the sequel".

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Yoda. Jedi, by training are defensive fighters. Mace (at least in the old Canon) had the most aggressive fighting style and internally he had to be very careful not to fall to the dark side. People what an authentic Jedi experience mate, then this is probably as close as we have ever been to getting it.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Yoda. Jedi, by training are defensive fighters. Mace (at least in the old Canon) had the most aggressive fighting style and internally he had to be very careful not to fall to the dark side. People what an authentic Jedi experience mate, then this is probably as close as we have ever been to getting it.

Of course i can only speak for myself, but when playing as Kyle Katarn it NEVER crossed my mind that i shouldnt be playing offensively and hurling storm troopers around the room and i never heard other gamers saying that it wasnt authentic enough.

Im hoping the developers can pull this off and make it a fun game because no amount of story justification will make up for gamer disappointment if the game isnt fun. The devs have to remember that the audience for a souls game is not the same audience that will be looking at a star wars Jedi game.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Is this for Xbox One?

Nah, those green letters at the top saying "Xbox Live" most likely mean it's only for PS4 and PC.

By the way, this has already been debunked by some EA dude here. Unfortunately, he seems to ignore users asking about the review embargo (I hope he's just sleeping or his internet broke down or something).

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Nah, those green letters at the top saying "Xbox Live" most likely mean it's only for PS4 and PC.

By the way, this has already been debunked by some EA dude here. Unfortunately, he seems to ignore users asking about the review embargo (I hope he's just sleeping or his internet broke down or something).
lulz I meant if the trial is for Xbox one

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised I never received a follow-up message or email saying the message was sent in error. Did anyone else with EA Access on Xbox get the message I received?

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Have to admit I wasn't sold on the first gameplay showcases, but I really want this to be good. Been waiting for a successor to the Jedi Knight games for far too long. This seems to be it and more. Respawn is a great studio so there's plenty of reason to be hopeful.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Of course i can only speak for myself, but when playing as Kyle Katarn it NEVER crossed my mind that i shouldnt be playing offensively and hurling storm troopers around the room and i never heard other gamers saying that it wasnt authentic enough.
But Kyle Katarn isn't really a Jedi Knight when you are playing him. And he has way too much anger in him.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
If any insider has played the game, I need to know how are the boss battles.

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Still unknown (also mentioned on this very page).
I saw a someone from EA post in response to this question in a forum that reviews will go live right before launch. So I'm guessing Thursday next week?

EDIT: It was on reddit
f7673ba357.png

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
[
That's an assumption that has backfired a number of times recently. I'm definitely waiting until we get definitive answers on that performance mode before I decide if I'm playing this on the Pro or X.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
That's an assumption that has backfired a number of times recently. I'm definitely waiting until we get definitive answers on that performance mode before I decide if I'm playing this on the Pro or X.
Exactly lol, it should be a sure thing but I've ran into a handful of games that for one reason or another the Pro offered a more stable performance (whether the X is pushing a full 4K causing issues or forcing 1080P on Pro offering a locked framerate).

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I saw a someone from EA post in response to this question in a forum that reviews will go live right before launch. So I'm guessing Thursday next week?

EDIT: It was on reddit
f7673ba357.png
only around launch? thats disappointing.

but EA doesnt have a track record of doing early embaroges, so i dont think its a reason to worry just yet.

then again EA didnt release a highly rated SP game in years

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
True and you are right. But this EA guy comes and just drops one short sentence of an announcement here that is opposite their service and opens himself up to a dialogue now right? Am I the crazy one to think I can get a reaction or an explanation from this guy? This is not pastebin that you drop leaks and it can not get connected to you, if you make an official announcement, then stay around for a certain amount of explanation... You have that verified banner, then it is more personal than an email to talk to you or have a dialogue with you as to why you change your policies and how you justify that? F8RGE

F8RGE is the official Community Manager for EA Star Wars.
He came into this thread to clarify the confusion about the Xbox message and that's it. It's not his fault or decision why there is not a trial.

He's a good dude who has done right by the Battlefront community and I'm sure he is telling us everything he is allowed to.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Yeah, but that's exception. I mostly play SP and EA have been trash this gen
actually, looking up again, TF2 review embargo already went up 4 days before launch, but going by the EA employee's wording, Jedi's reviews will be same day reviews...
now thats slightly worrying.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Not too concerned about the late embargo, most publishers that aren't Sony lift it around launch anyway.

TF2's embargo was probably lifted early because of EA's early access thing, they lifted it early on SWBF2 too and reviewers hated that.

Last edited:

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
actually, looking up again, TF2 review embargo already went up 4 days before launch, but going by the EA employee's wording, Jedi's reviews will be same day reviews...
now thats slightly worrying.

A few weeks ago some people were convinced that the game in your icon was going to get universal praise because of a review embargo > 1 week before launch. It got very mixed reviews (although many great ones!), but still very far from universal acclaim. This speculation is a bit pointless I guess because we'll all know soon enough. I am reassured because they gave really meaty previews and 70+ industry people a chance to spend 3 hours with the game and the praise was just about unanimous, and I also don't think that Star Wars games necessarily need to rely on the momentum of positive reviews for launch sales.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
I think people are overreacting.

Anthem had trial and early access and everyone saw how bad the game was, also, several previews not positive about the game.
Having a day one or day -14 embargo means nothing as long as quality is concerned.

I'm not saying Jedi Fallen Order is going to be a masterpiece, but being "worried" because reviews are not dropping one week or days before the launch means absolutely nothing. Bethesda didn't gave review copies for DOOM and Dishonored 2 and they ended up being so good, it really means nothing at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.