• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Neckbeards who hate change, nuance, good filmmaking and women aren't hyped. Thankfully they're a vocal minority.
So you already know that it's a good movie? And wasn't the movie from 2015 about a woman and a black Jedi, while the new one is about an old white dude?

I don't think that Jedi: Fallen Order will be a worse game than Star Wars: Battlefront (2015), but there was more hype for the latter.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm guessing you're more of the "need to have informations in order to get hooked" than "man I can't wait to see what this has and maybe get disappointed if it doesn't"

Pretty much. Some people are sold on a game from minute one, I need a bit more convincing than that.

Sorry I'm not immediately ready to buy a game from a publisher that has repeatedly burned me in the past based off of a small amount of marketing-approved information, I guess?

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much. Some people are sold on a game from minute one, I need a bit more convincing than that.

Sorry I'm not immediately ready to buy a game from a publisher that has repeatedly burned me in the past based off of a small amount of marketing-approved information, I guess?
It's all good planet, I was more responding to the comment itself than trying to applaud the personal attack.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
It's less about knowing everything and more about needing an actual hook. I would LIKE a Star Wars Metroidvania game to be good but everything I've seen of the combat just shows an incredibly weak-looking player character with a tiny arsenal of moves. I know a lot of people love their marketing drip-feeds but for me it's more like "okay, I've seen how the player starts out, how what's it like when you're actually powered up?"

I need a good idea of where the mechanics are gonna GO, if that makes sense. If the whole game is the same four or five powers with marginal upgrades every planet or two it's less exciting than knowing Cal at minute one and Cal at the endgame are completely different. Especially in a Metroidvania game that doesn't have an RPG-style equipment system.

Weak is relative. On normal difficulty Cal soloed an AT-ST without too many issues. And you say small range of powers when we don't know the entire skill tree. Also rarely if ever have I seen marketing that shows off the full abilities of a character. Like part of playing the game is discovering that for yourself. I think its fine to hide the really amazing abilities.

Like imagine if they had revealed that really cool moment about Kratos getting his 2nd weapon before the game released?? It would have had much less of an impact.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this is good, I hope EA does send out review copies. Get the word out. If this game flops it will be the last of its type for a while.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on this thread and the last three pages are filled with PlanetSmasher saying the game doesn't line up with his/her fan fiction version of the force. And others trying to convince them about it...why again? šŸ¤”

Game looks awesome and the previews have me sold. I've wanted a strong single player SW game for quite some time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Weak is relative. On normal difficulty Cal soloed an AT-ST without too many issues. And you say small range of powers when we don't know the entire skill tree. Also rarely if ever have I seen marketing that shows off the full abilities of a character. Like part of playing the game is discovering that for yourself. I think its fine to hide the really amazing abilities.

Like imagine if they had revealed that really cool moment about Kratos getting his 2nd weapon before the game released?? It would have had much less of an impact.

Like I said, I don't need them to show EVERYTHING. Just SOMETHING that stands out.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
After finally really reading these more recent previews...wow. I have a longstanding PokƩmon Sword preorder that I"m thinking of canceling and getting this on the 15th instead.

I just didn't really carry a lot of hype for this before. I guess I always pictured this as a current gen version of TFU- a pretty but basic & linear kind of action game that will be done in 6-10 hours. But reading how this had Metroidvania like non-linear progression, exploration, thoughtful combat, lots of atmosphere, etc, with a little bit of a souls feel (if not trying to be as punishing, which is fine by me). Plus an original Star Wars story in a largely unexplored section of the timeline. Almost sounds like this could be for Star Wars what Arkham Asylum kind of did for Batman games.

Plus its Respawn going all in on a single player experience and I don't think they will let us down... shit, I might be sold to day one this and wait on PokƩmon (since I really don't have room for another lengthy JRPG right now anyway).

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
After finally really reading these more recent previews...wow. I have a longstanding PokƩmon Sword preorder that I"m thinking of canceling and getting this on the 15th instead.

I just didn't really carry a lot of hype for this before. I guess I always pictured this as a current gen version of TFU- a pretty but basic & linear kind of action game that will be done in 6-10 hours. But reading how this had Metroidvania like non-linear progression, exploration, thoughtful combat, lots of atmosphere, etc, with a little bit of a souls feel (if not trying to be as punishing, which is fine by me). Plus an original Star Wars story in a largely unexplored section of the timeline. Almost sounds like this could be for Star Wars what Arkham Asylum kind of did for Batman games.

Plus its Respawn going all in on a single player experience and I don't think they will let us down... shit, I might be sold to day one this and wait on PokƩmon (since I really don't have room for another lengthy JRPG right now anyway).

I'm in a similar boat as you. This game has overtaken my #1 most anticipated spot over PokƩmon. Hype has just continued to grow for SW:FO for me while my hype for Pokemon has dwindled a little. Hope both end up great, however.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are arguing that Star Wars should be boring
You're conflating two different things. People are arguing that the like Star Wars for what it is, rather than for what you're suggesting it could or should be.

Again, you're entitled to think it's boring. But when people are OK with Star Wars staying the way it is, it's not because they feel it "should be boring"; it's because they don't find the current interpretation to be boring.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
The Reddit user updated his impressions. He said one of the planets is definitely denser than he expected. And that the skill tree opened up even more from yesterday. He mentioned the platforming elements and puzzle solving being pretty cool. But he said the combat is definitely the best part so far which doesn't surprise me at all

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
OYG these new impressions are so good. I'm trying to keep the hype in check but the 5 year old in me who saw ROTJ for the first time in 1989 is losing his damned mind.

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
The Reddit user updated his impressions. He said one of the planets is definitely denser than he expected. And that the skill tree opened up even more from yesterday. He mentioned the platforming elements and puzzle solving being pretty cool. But he said the combat is definitely the best part so far which doesn't surprise me at all
šŸ„³

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017

And people were doubting Respawn lmao

The first ERA thread on the game is embarassing.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
From the Reddit thread:

I don't think I'm even a third done. So I reckon it'll be at least 20+ hours. And many more if you want to 100% all the planets
EDIT 20 hours seems very conservative now I've played some more, you need to visit planets more than once it looks like, and theres new areas once you have new powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.