• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
That is great, a choice like this is always appreciated for people who prefer either of the 2 ways.

Guessing 1080p/60~ and 1440p~1800p/30 fps.

Still, it could be the closest a modern souls-styled game on consoles will be coming to 60 FPS

wait a minute .. this is a souls-like ?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of the Souls games have ever gotten to 60FPS before? Not even the remasters? How is that acceptable? Damn.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
That is great, a choice like this is always appreciated for people who prefer either of the 2 ways.

wait a minute .. this is a souls-like ?
Yup, according to previews.

It's got bonfires, you drop your currency when you die, and its dodge/block/parry system is similar to the souls games

Plus Metroidvania aspects

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wait I thought this was targeting 60 FPS on base consoles that's why it didn't look that good?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how Horizon Zero Dawn does it where Performance Mode still renders above 1080p (1368p) so you still get downsampling of you play on a 1080p screen along with better DoF effects, better volumetric lighting, and a rock solid 30fps.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
None of the Souls games have ever gotten to 60FPS before? Not even the remasters? How is that acceptable? Damn.

Weird, it says "modern Souls-styled" but Nioh and The Surge 1&2 also have 60fps modes, on top of DS1&2 and the unlocked fps in DS3 (that will likely be 60fps on PS5)

OP
OP
Lokimaster

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019

Hopefully its 2160p checker boarding. I hate that a lot devs dont use the ps4 pro as they should. There is no reason for all ps4 pro games to be running 2160p cb if the game is 30fps

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
We should place our bets on the resolution figures for each mode and console. Keep in mind this is running on Unreal Engine 4.

PS4 Pro - 1440p quality mode, 1080p performance.
XB1X - 1800p quality mode. 1440p performance.

Of course the most interesting question is which one runs the smoothest in performance mode. That will likely determine which version I buy.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great. If they can get to or really close to 4k with hdr on xbox one x ill go with quality. If not ill choose performance

Lt-47

Dec 1, 2017
Hopefully its 2160p checker boarding. I hate that a lot devs dont use the ps4 pro as they should. There is no reason for all ps4 pro games to be running 2160p cb if the game is 30fps

UE4 doesn't natively support supports checkerboarding so I wouldn't' get my hope up. I'm not even expecting anything over 1080p, UE4 is a GPU hog out of the box which doesn't lend it self to high resolutions without some heavy optimization. Not everyone is The Coalition unfortunately

OP
OP
Lokimaster

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
UE4 doesn't natively support supports checkerboarding so I wouldn't' get my hope up. I'm not even expecting anything over 1080p, UE4 is a GPU hog out of the box which doesn't lend it self to high resolutions without some heavy optimization. Not everyone is The Coalition unfortunately

nah days gone handles it just fine.
I dont want to hear excuses for it.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Great to hear.
Usually 60FPS is a must for action games, but depending on the Difficulty, i might go with the Quality Mode this time.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing. I usually go 4k instead of 1080p60 (Witcher 3) but I will see the difference here. On Xbox

Jun 23, 2019
That's great to hear. Give people choices instead of dubiously not including it at all unlike some games we know.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was it really though? cause i switched back to 30fps pretty quickly, wasn't too solid imo in performance mode.

According to Digital Foundry / NX Gamer. There's obviously stress points where it drops further (like any game including on PC) but on average it's about 55.

Personally I prefer quality mode in really graphically impressive AAA games.

StevePharma

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Which mode will make my Pro sound less like a jet engine?

I like performance modes but recently Borderlands 3's launch left a bad taste in my mouth with overheating my Pro several times (instant shutdown). Hope the devs can sort this out. Don't want no "open the map in Horizon and get blown away by the fans" type of performance mode

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I read a couple different previews yesterday where it was mentioned, and none of them suggested it was a Playstation only feature.

and quite honestly, do you actually believe they would include such a mode for only one console? This game also has an Xbox marketing deal attached to it.....

Feb 10, 2018
Only for Pro?

Pretty disgusting if it's only available on one platform.
th

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are falling for Miles's trap, they're taking a piss out of the Outer Worlds thing that happened a few days back.

On that topic, official confirmation of the modes for both X and Pro.

The upcoming Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order will have a performance mode and quality mode on the Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro, Respawn has confirmed.

Speaking to website 'WeGotThisCovered', Respawn producer Paul Hatfield explained that those playing the game on Microsoft's and Sony's enhanced consoles, will be able to play the game in a "performance" more or "quality" mode. The performance mode is targeting 60FPS on both consoles, but it's likely there will be the occasional FPS drops. As expected, the quality mode will cap the framerate at 30FPS and aims to boost visuals.

Can a mod or OP please add a threadmark or update the topic title accordingly.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, according to previews.

It's got bonfires, you drop your currency when you die, and its dodge/block/parry system is similar to the souls games

Plus Metroidvania aspects
I really hope they don't lean too hard into the Soulslike aspects. Despite many attempts, I've never been able to get into those kinds of games.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
I really hope they don't lean too hard into the Soulslike aspects. Despite many attempts, I've never been able to get into those kinds of games.
They have very customizable difficulty options as well it seems

They said even though they're using those systems they don't want to alienate anybody, so you can change things in the difficulty settings like parry windows, enemy aggression, enemy damage, etc

So from the sounds of it, you can still get into it even if you're not a fan of the super-hard soulslike experience

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017

They said even though they're using those systems they don't want to alienate anybody, so you can change things in the difficulty settings like parry windows, enemy aggression, enemy damage, etc

So from the sounds of it, you can still get into it even if you're not a fan of the super-hard soulslike experience
That sounds perfect. Thanks much for the detailed reply.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Just to clarify this, I believe that there are 4 preset difficulties that modify these things instead of just pumping enemy health and damage.
I don't think you can modify those things individually, unless I missed a preview somewhere that mentioned that

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Just to clarify this, I believe that there are 4 preset difficulties that modify these things instead of just pumping enemy health and damage.
I don't think you can modify those things individually, unless I missed a preview somewhere that mentioned that
You might be right actually, I checked back the preview and re-read it and it seems that way, thanks for the correction!