• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
These types of linear cinematic action games are hit(TLOU, Uncharted 4/LLC) or miss (God of War, Rise of The Tomb Raider) for me and reviews have proven unhelpful in determining where I might land, so I'm a bit apprehensive — not that I have room for it right now anyway. Respawn is a 'must play' studio, though, so I'll 100% jump in at some point — probably over Christmas Break. The Mandalorian will be wrapping up, RoS drops, feels like the perfect time to fully nerd out on Star Wars.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I can't believe "85 average means a game is shit" is a thing now

I mean, fuck, Control is probably my GOTY and it has a 82 on MC
While I definitely wouldn't say 2019 "sucks", I guess I can kinda understand the sentiment. We have gotten tons of great games this year. However, we haven't gotten any "amazing" games. Like nothing that truly stands out atop all else like we've had the last few years.

evilcar

Oct 25, 2017
These types of linear cinematic action games are hit(TLOU, Uncharted 4/LLC) or miss (God of War, Rise of The Tomb Raider) for me and reviews have proven unhelpful in determining where I might land, so I'm a bit apprehensive — not that I have room for it right now anyway. Respawn is a 'must play' studio, though, so I'll 100% jump in at some point — probably over Christmas Break. The Mandalorian will be wrapping up, RoS drops, feels like the perfect time to fully nerd out on Star Wars.

WAIT WUT?

On topic: I am patiently waiting for my PS4 copy to arrive. I knew Respawn wouldn't let me down :)

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
People keep bringing up uncharted and they are wrong. The game is prince of Persia with Sekiro-like combat and a little metroidvaniaish.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
These different embargo times for different content creators are bullshit. Still waiting on ACG's review.

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
need more time and impressions for that one. Looks good but I'm personally not as hyped as others yet. Trying to determine if gunplay will be strong enough to clearly hit over 90. Though it's not like this mattered much for the combat in Witcher 3 (which I also need to play the entire way through)
I could see that

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
WAIT WUT?

On topic: I am patiently waiting for my PS4 copy to arrive. I knew Respawn wouldn't let me down :)

For me, not the gaming populous at large. But I've gone on at length about my issues with that game so I won't do it here. Though I will say the rampant Dark Souls comparisons, which GoW had as well, aren't exactly enticing since most games that borrow heavily from Souls simply make me wish I was playing Souls.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I can't believe "85 average means a game is shit" is a thing now

I mean, fuck, Control is probably my GOTY and it has a 82 on MC

People are fucking stupid when it comes to review scores, RDR2 got 98 MC and yet it plays like absolutely garbage dogshit, the general opinion wouldn't have been so much worse with an 85 MC.

It feels like people need review scores to ''decide'' their opinion on a game. They need to know how much other people like it.

Last edited:

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I am a huge Star Wars fan and I'm glad people are enjoying this but the gameplay has just never looked that interesting to me. It seems like every video I watch is just jumping puzzles and beating down giant space rats with a lightsaber.

Oct 25, 2017
While I definitely wouldn't say 2019 "sucks", I guess I can kinda understand the sentiment. We have gotten tons of great games this year. However, we haven't gotten any "amazing" games. Like nothing that truly stands out atop all else like we've had the last few years.

Yeah, i'll just disagree heavily with that. CONTROL alone is better than most of the big releases of 2018, but MC is what dictates quality on this forum so i don't think it's a point worth arguing about

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the argument that 2019 isn't as good for games as 2018 or 2017, sure, but also those two years were exceptionally good.

Saying "lol 2019 sucks" is ridiculous hyperbole imo, especially in response to a game with a solid review average like JFO. Sure, there isn't a genre-defining masterpiece like BOTW this year, but those have never been that common anyway. There's still been plenty of great games.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

It's a banner year that's given me my favorite horror game(RE2) and melee combat game(DMC5) of the generation, two seminal exploration-based gems(Outer Wilds, Death Stranding), and Control which might end up as my GOTY. Nevermind plenty of other great games(Sekiro, Fire Emblem, AC7, Outer Worlds, etc...etc...)

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

Haha what?

I don't think I ever disagree so much with a metacritic score as I do with Control's.

I'm playing through it right now and I'm shocked and really disappointed it got the reaction it did. I think its my GOTY as well. Narrative and mechanics are just awesome. You could also make an argument its the best looking game out right now.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Excited to hear the ending is really good. I always worry about a game falling off with its end game areas but from what I'm hearing from impressions its excellent here.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Yeah, i'll just disagree heavily with that. CONTROL alone is better than most of the big releases of 2018, but MC is what dictates quality on this forum so i don't think it's a point worth arguing about
I dunno. It's not just MC. It's the games that command the discussions. And keeps coming up for the right reasons. We don't have a game like that this year.

It's a banner year that's given me my favorite horror game(RE2) and melee combat game(DMC5) of the generation, two seminal exploration-based gems(Outer Wilds, Death Stranding), and Control which might end up as my GOTY. Nevermind plenty of other great games(Sekiro, Fire Emblem, AC7, Outer Worlds, etc...etc...)
Like I said, definitely tons of great games. But there won't be a game or two at the end of the year that is a lock for GOTY. Which makes this year interesting. Because it could really go to many different games. I definitely need to play Control.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda Funny said it took them around 20 hours to beat and that it still had replayability afterwards.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I watched now around 40 minutes on different Twitch streams and the movement, the running especially looks super weird. Terrible almost.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Great reviews. This is sitting in front of my door at home right now because Amazon delivered weirdly early today. Longest day at work right now!

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Knew this game would get good scores but some 9's?!?! I won't get a chance to play until next week, but I'm hyped!

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really pleased to see this is reviewing well, bodes well for single player adventure games, providing it sells! Although Schreier is hinting on Twitter that Respawn are already working on more "projects like this".

Oh please please please let this be true.

The more quality single player Star Wars games, the better.

In fact, this is the first EA Star Wars game I've bought from this new era of Star Wars games. Didn't care too much for Battlefront (especially after all that controversy, but I've heard that the second one is a lot better now, so I might check it out). Not to mention that this is on Steam, which is super awesome.

Maybe we can get something set during the Old Republic era. Or even something set in between the Original and Sequel trilogy. Or hell, something beyond...

God, I'm getting giddy just thinking about it.

Globule

Banned
May 9, 2018
Mmmh... The "negative" reviews have me a little bit worried as the game may fall short in areas I consider important. The positive ones have me excited about the game though... I think I'll have to try it myself, considering the Starwars setting, I'll probably forgive a lot of its shortcomings. I guess I'll give it a try then, not now because I already have enough games on my plate but later on, I sure will.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Depends. "Nothing new" could mean bland and uninspiring, or it could mean that it uses the same formula but does so fantastically.

Uncharted 4 is nothing new but it's still an incredible game with great reviews. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is also nothing new and it got mediocre reviews because it didn't use the formula in an exemplary way.

I agree with this as well. It sounds like a good mix here, I guess some things may not be great. Whatever I'll play it and have my own opinion I just don't like it when reviewers read that games like these are "old fashioned"

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

In fact, this is the first EA Star Wars game I've bought from this new era of Star Wars games. Didn't care too much for Battlefront (especially after all that controversy, but I've heard that the second one is a lot better now, so I might check it out). Not to mention that this is on Steam, which is super awesome.

Maybe we can get something set during the Old Republic era. Or even something set in between the Original and Sequel trilogy. Or hell, something beyond...

How big are Respawn exactly? I always thought of them as a small studio but they have Apex Legends going, just released Fallen Order and are apparently in the middle of another Star Wars project?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017

It's Jason, its true.

And I'm grateful.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Purchased a month of EA Premier for $15 and downloaded this last night. On the 3rd planet currently and it's been a fun experience so far. Game is amazing looking on PC and plays great above 90fps. It has some odd hitches when entering new areas but it lines out rather quickly. Looking forward to diving back in tonight.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Lol fuck me 2019 sucks

Are people really that out of touch.....or am I out of touch?

80+ is now a game that sucks?

We have had a bunch of 80+ games which have been legit good games.
People will accost me for this but fuck it.

I immensely enjoyed Control, DMC5, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, BloodStained, Gears 5 and RE2R and all these games were 80'ers?

Whats considered a good game these days if all these 80'er games suck?