• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well 2019 is full of mediocre garbage, so the bar isn't set very high

wow! not at all. what are you playing on?

The giant bomb review is great. It reads like the game is let down by technical issues, Brad literally ends the review that if these get ironed out that the game will go down amongst the great star wars games.

Good to read :)

I hope they patch it. I'm so close to buying the PC version

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The biggest head-scratching review has to go to Eurogamer. They are entitled to write whatever they like, of course, however, how bad does a game need to be to get a "No Recommendation" ?

It's pretty harsh disservice to the hard-working devs at Respawn to slap a No Recommendation tag on their work, considering no part of the development appears to half-arsed and given the notorious pressures associated with developing a Star Wars game, above other games.

Obviously part of a problem with their binary rating system. Eurogamer even qualifies their conclusion by stating that they forced themselves to complete the game in a short period of time. Perhaps it would be an idea for them to implement further ratings such as "Recommended at a discount".

i wouldn´t give this game a recommendation too. if anything it would be "for die hard Star Wars fans hungering for a new singleplayer game-but beware that it does feel dated and lifts from other games without doing its own thing. on top of it it has technical shortcomings"

and "slapping the hard working devs" is probably how reviews can possibly pan out if someone doesn´t like the end result-but this is mostly not meant to insult the devs but to inform people about the shortcomings, it´s just how reviews can turn out.

on the flipside, i can´t take any 8 or 9 review seriously for this game but it is their opinion when they enjoyed it, it is their right to give a 9 for this- even if it is baffling to me that games that are derivative like this get a reward in form of a great score

this is one of the most aggressively mediocre games i´ve played in a long time

Last edited:

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I've just stopped reading most review threads now because at this point it is very clear that they are treated as little more than an excuse for many posters to go let out their inner console warrior.

I mean, you don't even have to go past the first page of this thread and already you've got blatant shitposting and posters trying to pick fights.

It's no wonder these threads usually come with mod warnings as standard now... for all the good they do.
Gotta use the watch thread feature brother...only way

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say 2019 has been terrible, but definitely the weakest year since 2014 for me. It wasn't great.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
on the flipside, i can´t take any 8 or 9 review seriously for this game but it is their opinion when they enjoyed it, it is their right to give a 9 for this- even if it is baffling to me that games that are derivative like this get a reward in form of a great score

I'm in the same place you are with this game, except I actually think it's bad. Thy packed so much shit into this game that's derivative of other games, it turns into a big mess. I described it to a friend as 'all the excesses of AAA gaming in one package.'

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
It's far, far better than any God of War ------- but it's a completely different kind of game.
This is my GOTY but its still nowhere near as good as God of War (2018), and they're very similar games. GOW is a masterpiece, and as much as I love Fallen Order I can't see anyone describing it as such.

As for 2019, yes its been a slightly disappointing year. There's been a lot of very good games this year, but none that have really excelled by my tastes, and quite a few did last year (GOW, RDR2, FH4, Celeste to name a few).

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
PC is generally the best version of this game. I've had zero crash so far (people complained about it), and performance is great. There are some stutters but mostly only at the start of a cutscene of when entering a new area. In gameplay, it's running perfectly.

Second.

I'm actually really impressed with how well it runs.

There are instances of stuttering and pop in, but overall, it's been smooth sailing.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I'm enjoying the game so far, but I'm a little baffled by the press hype. I've legit had some combat encounters where I've yelled at the TV "what the fuck is wrong with this game?!"

dodging is unreliable at best and enemy telegraphing is shit.
Overall I think it's a pretty darn good game, but I'm finding it actually pretty interesting seeing some of the same press people laude this game that trashed Death Stranding. I guess I'm just out of sync with some of the press that I thought I trusted for opinions.

I'm excited to see where the rest of the game goes and maybe it's just from coming off of the insanity of Death Stranding, but the game just feels less impactful for me so far.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Second.

I'm actually really impressed with how well it runs.

There are instances of stuttering and pop in, but overall, it's been smooth sailing.

It does run well, but the stuttering at times is very annoying. 3 crashes so far on PC :S
WTF happened with the supposed day 1 patches? I can't even accept this game being presented as a GOTY candidate in its current state.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
This is my GOTY but its still nowhere near as good as God of War (2018), and they're very similar games. GOW is a masterpiece, and as much as I love Fallen Order I can't see anyone describing it as such.

As for 2019, yes its been a slightly disappointing year. There's been a lot of very good games this year, but none that have really excelled by my tastes, and quite a few did last year (GOW, RDR2, FH4, Celeste to name a few).

Agreed. I do wish it was as good as GoW 2018. In fact, JFO makes me really appreciate games like Sekiro and GoW a lot more just because the difference in polish is pretty noticeable. Still really liking JFO. Zeffo seems like a really well designed lvl

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. I do wish it was as good as GoW 2018. In fact, JFO makes me really appreciate games like Sekiro and GoW a lot more just because the difference in polish is pretty noticeable. Still really liking JFO. Zeffo seems like a really well designed lvl
Yeah this game is lacking that polish you can expect from games like that. GOW in particular was extremely well made, I can't think of a single mechanic about that game that I'd change, and of course there were no bugs and the graphics are insane.

Its Respawn's first attempt at anything like this, and considering that I think they've done insanely well. Hopefully the inevitable sequel will be much more refined and they can start to bring it to studios like Santa Monica and From Software.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Yeah this game is lacking that polish you can expect from games like that. GOW in particular was extremely well made, I can't think of a single mechanic about that game that I'd change, and of course there were no bugs and the graphics are insane.

Its Respawn's first attempt at anything like this, and considering that I think they've done insanely well. Hopefully the inevitable sequel will be much more refined and they can start to bring it to studios like Santa Monica and From Software.

I remember seeing one bug in all of GoW where Atreus paused for like a few seconds and teleported into an animation. That was it. And Sekiro gameplay is extremely tight from my experience on PS4

And yea, definitely believe they'll knock it out of the park with a sequel. There's a good foundation here for something truly amazing

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Lol at thinking 2019 has been a garbage year for gaming. Says more about your taste in gaming than what released this year.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so confused with this thread. It seems a lot of the reviews are positive but the reactions here seem to be pretty negative. My nephew was playing with my controller and accidentally purchased the game. I was trying to decide between just keeping it or to request a refund.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm so confused with this thread. It seems a lot of the reviews are positive but the reactions here seem to be pretty negative. My nephew was playing with my controller and accidentally purchased the game. I was trying to decide between just keeping it or to request a refund.

I think it's definitely good but if you're expecting a game as tight as a from game then you'll be disappointed.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It does run well, but the stuttering at times is very annoying. 3 crashes so far on PC :S
WTF happened with the supposed day 1 patches? I can't even accept this game being presented as a GOTY candidate in its current state.

That sucks. I haven't run into any crashes yet, (and now that I've said that, I'll probably run into a few tonight, lol.)

The only major issue I had was when I was trying to run the initial startup and Origin decided to fuck up on me.

Thankfully I was able to figure out that Origin just had to be updated, but it's still a hassle dealing with multiple game launchers.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Now about 15 hours in - and starting to appreciate the Metroid style level exploration, design, lore, etc. And also flavour of Dark Souls / Sekiro, with some flexibility on the difficulty.

Also absolutely love their use of Star Wars, and care to bring in all sorts of unique surprises that reach out to fans, and also add their own personal spin on things.
Glad as always to have avoided most of the marketing and any spoilers, as many things are quite surprising and usually pleasantly so. The game has some jank here and there but very minimal - certainly noticeable vs the otherwise stellar and surprising nature of the game.

Fast becoming one of my favourite games of the year.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Now about 15 hours in - and starting to appreciate the Metroid style level exploration, design, lore, etc. And also flavour of Dark Souls / Sekiro, with some flexibility on the difficulty.

Also absolutely love their use of Star Wars, and care to bring in all sorts of unique surprises that reach out to fans, and also add their own personal spin on things.
Glad as always to have avoided most of the marketing and any spoilers, as many things are quite surprising and usually pleasantly so. The game has some jank here and there but very minimal - certainly noticeable vs the otherwise stellar and surprising nature of the game.

Fast becoming one of my favourite games of the year.

If you like Star Wars in general its going to be a much better game. Its like borderline fanservice but done pretty well.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm having an absolute blast with it. I'm about 10 hours in. At 1440 p (w/ G-Sync) with a GTX 1080 ti and Ryzen 3900x, it's running very well. I can see hitching at the beginning of cut scenes but it's not bothering me.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
3 stars =/= 60 on a 100 point scale, which is one of the many reasons why review aggregators suck.
It kinda does though.
69 on a 100 point scale rounds down to 6 on a 10 point scale and 3 on a 5 point scale.
It means different things on different sites but it's usually in the range of a Pass Mark/OK/Average/Good-But-Not-Great.
I personally consider it a good score but the game is probably buggy and perhaps not pushing the medium forward in any large ways.
Some people consider it to be a trash score and completely write the game off but that doesn't make any sense to me.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
It kinda does though.
69 on a 100 point scale rounds down to 6 on a 10 point scale and 3 on a 5 point scale.
It means different things on different sites but it's usually in the range of a Pass Mark/OK/Average/Good-But-Not-Great.
I personally consider it a good score but the game is probably buggy and perhaps not pushing the medium forward in any large ways.
Some people consider it to be a trash score and completely write the game off but that doesn't make any sense to me.
I'm not talking about the maths, though--I'm talking about intent. On most sites' scales, a 60 is a very poor score, whereas three stars is a perfectly adequate score in the majority of 5-star rating systems. This is why you can't just convert between them as if they were directly equivalent, even though they are, mathematically-speaking.

I actually prefer star-based rating systems to percentages or ten-point scales, precisely because of how they function differently from either of those systems, and place less of an emphasis on minor numerical score differences. The way review aggregators ignore all of that in favour of straight numerical conversion is ridiculous, and a perfect microcosm of just how daft review aggregation of this sort is as a concept.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Costumes get pretty crazy later on
pc9WSJU.jpg

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's far, far better than any God of War ------- but it's a completely different kind of game.
Yeah... No.

Its good, but holy shit is there some dumb stuff about the combat. Dodging is not reliable and boy oh boy are the enemy tells bullshit. That frog thing has to be one of the most garbage game fights I've played in a long time. Most of the game has been fun though, haven't really had any "holy shit!" moments though.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the PC version of this game has some nasty bug where it makes controllers not work at all. Wants me to remove all my USB devices in order to make the game work as a workaround. Fuck that.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
idk how far i am thru it. I would assume halfway or more.

I would says its must buy for any Star Wars fans that likes Single player adventure games.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the game so far, but I'm a little baffled by the press hype. I've legit had some combat encounters where I've yelled at the TV "what the fuck is wrong with this game?!"

dodging is unreliable at best and enemy telegraphing is shit.
Overall I think it's a pretty darn good game, but I'm finding it actually pretty interesting seeing some of the same press people laude this game that trashed Death Stranding. I guess I'm just out of sync with some of the press that I thought I trusted for opinions.

I'm excited to see where the rest of the game goes and maybe it's just from coming off of the insanity of Death Stranding, but the game just feels less impactful for me so far.

Finished it on GM difficulty, I think enemy telegraphs and dodging takes a while to get a hang of but works perfectly fine.
I had similar issues/trouble telling enemy telegraphs, which in turn is connected to your dodging/parry. I was pretty frustrated in the beginning and thought about reducing the difficulty, didn't since I was making steady progress despite not getting the hang of combat. Eventually combat became flawless since I learned the mechanics.

Not even close.

The game is full of bugs and the performace is okish, the story is terrible.

The combat is very good, but still not at God of War level.
Didn't encounter any performance issues on my PC run. Story is subjective but I thought it was a fun ride akin to a star wars movie, dare I say this maybe the best star wars content/story I liked.
Combat is definitely more technical than GoW 2018, while god of war certainly has more flashy moves, its use is limited imo.
One thing GoW definitely have over this is the enemy variety.
I strongly recommend people to try this game out on harder difficulties.

What if you hate dark souls?
Game is not at all difficulty in Easy and Normal difficulty. Only dark souls thing about this game is the checkpoint system.
Its like an easier sekiro.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
What if you hate dark souls?
idk i nvr really played them. I think i played dark souls for like 10 mins once a decade ago. Ive played Bloodborne a couple times and dont like it. If that means anything. Im not familiar enough with that series to know what they do thats so different. Ppl seem to keep saying that this is dark souls combat??? idk. 3rd person action games with sword attacks/parrying/blocking existed long before dark souls was a thing. Games that were punishing existed long before dark souls was a thing. I guess the respawning enemies is a Dark Souls thing?? idk. I feel like that also existed before.

If u like Castlevania Lord of Shadows/Metroid Prime/Arkham Asylum/AC Brotherhood or AC Origins/Tomb Raider reboot series/Prince of Persia PS2 games/Jak & Daxter

then u will probably like this

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
After finishing the story, I'd probably give it a 7 overall.
Combat kinda becomes it's own thing with more force powers, but by that point everything is either a complete joke or a boss who just spam blocks everything, which I just never really enjoyed much and never really felt all that powerful, which is something past Star Wars games have done very well. The traversal becomes a lot less janky further in too, never as smooth as I'd have liked, but it does the job I suppose.

I liked the story and characters, nothing amazing and the story is very predictable, but kept me interested throughout. BD-1 is the cutest.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Death Stranding ended up with the best reviews out of the big November titles like most predicted.

Except no one predicted it would all be low 80s lol

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
i wouldn´t give this game a recommendation too. if anything it would be "for die hard Star Wars fans hungering for a new singleplayer game-but beware that it does feel dated and lifts from other games without doing its own thing. on top of it it has technical shortcomings"

and "slapping the hard working devs" is probably how reviews can possibly pan out if someone doesn´t like the end result-but this is mostly not meant to insult the devs but to inform people about the shortcomings, it´s just how reviews can turn out.

are we playing the same game? I find this one of the most refreshing and well done games of the entire gen. If it wasn't for some technical issues I'd say it's my favorite of the gen period. The thoughtfulness of combat the way the worlds open up and always loop back around smartly, the way you can explore. How new moves drastically alter your combat style throughout. Sure it borrows some from lots of games but so does almost every game. There would be no uncharted without tomb raider. It does those things as good or better than its inspiration imo

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This game seems to be only let down by its technical issues. That's really a shame as the majority of the reviews read like the game is truelly great.

Jan 20, 2019
Didn't encounter any performance issues on my PC run. Story is subjective but I thought it was a fun ride akin to a star wars movie, dare I say this maybe the best star wars content/story I liked.
Combat is definitely more technical than GoW 2018, while god of war certainly has more flashy moves, its use is limited imo.
One thing GoW definitely have over this is the enemy variety.
I strongly recommend people to try this game out on harder difficulties.

You are one of lucky few.

I had bugs, fps drops, crashes, stuck in the invoirement and many more.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

It's good, but I wouldn't rank it above an 8 yet. As discussed, it lacks the polish and 'feel' of similar action contemporaries. Like the act of swinging the saber lacks heft, weight, and expected response from landing on enemies that can withstand more than a single stroke. It's not poor and is fine for what its doing, but it feels lacking. Combat overall just isn't quite there despite how pretty some animations look in gif form.

Exploration pulls off the same tricks a bit too much, but is enjoyable. The construction of the levels is the most 'gamey' felt in a AAA adventure in a good while. Sometimes planets feel less like actual environs and more like obstacle courses, sometimes even floating over a void. It's not too dissimilar in structure and flow to a Metroid Prime, but the illusion of being on a subsection of unique planets aren't quite as well conceived. But its a nitpick as I am enjoying just pushing through the adventure all the same...but its not blowing me away or making me think of it as a GotY contendor by any stretch. It's enjoyable but flawed.