• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Very good reviews. Will get it down the line. But i just dont see this being better than Sekiro.

And I don't know where is the problem lol

Sekiro is my GOTY so far (got all the achievements) alongside Apex Legends and I'm enjoying Jedi Fallen Order.

It's not like you can't enjoy more games even if they are not as good as Sekiro

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling
LMAO yeah okay, brush aside the opinions of everyone who has actually played the fucking game while you bless us with your dumb take based on 0 hands on experience. What a stupid post.

Everyone? There's plenty of disagreement within the reviews here lol

And of course I'm not going to spend money on a mediocre looking (to me) game to pass judgement on it because that is what would be stupid.

I don't know where this dumbass idea came from that you can't form any opinion on a game unless you've played it. Probably insecure fans.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
People were really desperate to clutch to any single player Star Wars huh?

The game looks bang average in every video yet it's out here with an 86 while continuing to look average..
Not at all, I've played about half of the game and these scores are lower than I was expecting. Game feels like a 9.5/10 to me.

I can understand technical issues dragging down the console score a bit though.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019

And of course I'm not going to spend money on a mediocre looking (to me) game to pass judgement on it because that is what would be stupid.

I don't know where this dumbass idea came from that you can't form any opinion on a game unless you've played it. Probably insecure fans.
You should play before you pass judgement

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the posts in this thread read like they've been rubbing their hands together with glee furiously for like an entire month in excitement for the opportunity to take a massive dump on EA and now its got solid reviews are desperately trying to clutch at straws. But that's review threads for you.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Not at all, I've played about half of the game and these scores are lower than I was expecting. Game feels like a 9.5/10 to me.

I can understand technical issues dragging down the console score a bit though.

I feel like for a game to reach 9.5 it has to have some things that really make it stand out though.

From reading the reviews and watching footage I can't really see that. What made you rate it so highly?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure its one of the best received games critically this year, and many people who have the game including myself will tell you its pretty much deserving of it. The whole point of aggregate sites like MC isn't to find the one review or decimal point that confirms any bias or preconception, its to give an overall consensus on what many people think. If you find some of the negatives to be a turn off, that's fine, but don't pretend like the most negative review weighs any more than the others.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
I would say an individual's take on those issues is the opinion. Backtracking is not a bad thing and the Metroidvania elements are not poorly implemented...in my opinion. That's the thing about it. Those features are part of the game but whether you enjoy them or not is going to vary. As always.

Well, in my personal opinion a GOTY has to bring something special to the table for me to stand out. May it be something original, or something familiar but with an immaculate presentation and/or a flawless execution. While Fallen Order–don't get me wrong–still is a great game, it does in my opinion not achieve any of that.

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
And I don't know where is the problem lol

Sekiro is my GOTY so far (got all the achievements) alongside Apex Legends and I'm enjoying Jedi Fallen Order.

It's not like you can't enjoy more games even if they are not as good as Sekiro
Ah Yes of course. Also played the hell out of apex and sekiro. Its just people saying its a GOTY contender. I cant see it.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Well I'm sold. The previews looked great and this just hammers the point home.

It's a mashup of Sekiro, Metroid, Zelda and God of War in a slick Star Wars skin and that's all I could ask for.

Much like Spider-Man PS4 it's not that original when it comes to the gameplay concepts, but instead it just executes existing ideas really well and absolutely nails the presentation.

Last edited:

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like for a game to reach 9.5 it has to have some things that really make it stand out though.

From reading the reviews and watching footage I can't really see that. What made you rate it so highly?
The combat is really clicking with me. It feels extremely fun, the difficulty is just right (on Jedi Master) making it feel quite challenging and very rewarding. The level design is absolutely fantastic, in my opinion. I love how it winds back on itself and creates shortcuts like in the Souls games, they really nailed that and the metroidvania aspect. The encounter design gets better as I go and I find the platforming extremely fun and well made. Normally in a game like this there'd be at least a few points where I'd be getting frustrated at the platforming as there'd be points of the character not doing what I want and stuff like that, but so far its perfect here. Also I'm quite liking the story, and that's definitely picking up too.

People certainly do have complaints, and the combat isn't clicking for some. But for me it feels like the game was expertly designed, and suites my tastes superbly. Only thing letting it down is some performance issues and graphical glitches, and that combat with lots of enemies at once can get a bit messy, especially when its with beasts that don't communicate their incoming attacks quite as well as humans do.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine doubting Respawn. Their track record is immaculate, especially when it comes to single player campaign type material. Add in God of War 3 devs and holy shit.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Such a good overall score. I was hyped the day I heard stig and rest of gow3 team was working on it. I don't know how can you not expect great things from them?

Oct 27, 2017
I would say an individual's take on those issues is the opinion. Backtracking is not a bad thing and the Metroidvania elements are not poorly implemented...in my opinion. That's the thing about it. Those features are part of the game but whether you enjoy them or not is going to vary. As always.

Thank you for your take on it, John. I guess I just don't like the idea of having to hotfoot it back to my ship the way I came while also having to defeat recently bested enemies. Maybe the combat is so enjoyable that that isn't an issue, but for me it makes it a game I'm not willing to jump in to right away. I hope you continue to enjoy it, and I look forward to any DF pieces on it!

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
People certainly do have complaints, and the combat isn't clicking for some. But for me it feels like the game was expertly designed, and suites my tastes superbly. Only thing letting it down is some performance issues and graphical glitches, and that combat with lots of enemies at once can get a bit messy, especially when its with beasts that don't communicate their incoming attacks quite as well as humans do.

Here's a question: what happens when a reviewer finds that combat doesn't click for them, but also cannot find any inherent flaws with it either? I.e. should combat lose points if the reviewer just doesn't like it, as opposed to it being objectively bad?

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

It's one thing forming an opinion. It's another to come into a review thread asking why it's getting so high reviews because you don't like the look of it and then blaming it on people wanting a good Star Wars game.

But then you knew what you were doing so no idea why I am replying to you.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a question: what happens when a reviewer finds that combat doesn't click for them, but also cannot find any inherent flaws with it either? I.e. should combat lose points if the reviewer just doesn't like it, as opposed to it being objectively bad?
Well I think the people who don't like it may be noticing some flaws. For example, I'm seeing in the OT people complaining about parrying feeling a bit off, and they're not catching a parry when they thought they should, or that enemies feel a bit overpowered that they can spin around and follow you as they charge up their attack. Specifically, some people saying it doesn't feel quite as precise as Sekiro and that's causing problems with timing and things like that.

I can understand it, but for me on the second hardest difficulty I'm having no problem with the controls. Every time I've died it felt like my fault... well except against those damn frogs.

There's always got to be a reason people don't like a combat system, even if it isn't an obvious flaw it might be something that's missing that should really be there, for example. This is a totally subjective thing though.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Well I think the people who don't like it may be noticing some flaws. For example, I'm seeing in the OT people complaining about parrying feeling a bit off, and they're not catching a parry when they thought they should, or that enemies feel a bit overpowered that they can spin around and follow you as they charge up their attack. Specifically, some people saying it doesn't feel quite as precise as Sekiro and that's causing problems with timing and things like that.

I can understand it, but for me on the second hardest difficulty I'm having no problem with the controls. Every time I've died it felt like my fault... well except against those damn frogs.

Fair enough.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
People talking about games being/not being GOTY contenders often forget that being a GOTY contender is not just about the quality of the game, but more about the quality of the game in relation to the quality of other games released this year. In a year where there are a ton of 95+ games, a 9 game will not be a GOTY contender, but in a year with mostly 85 games that same game would suddenly be the shoe in winner.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
People talking about games being/not being GOTY contenders often forget that being a GOTY contender is not just about the quality of the game, but more about the quality of the game in relation to the quality of other games released this year. In a year where there are a ton of 95+ games, a 9 game will not be a GOTY contender, but in a year with mostly 85 games that same game would suddenly be the shoe in winner.
Absolutely. This feels like my clear GOTY so far but I don't think it'd even make my top 3 or 4 last year.

I seen a review saying 6-9hours but i don't believe that for a second
Yeah, I usually play through games faster than the average person and I'm 8 hours in and pretty sure I'm not even halfway yet.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Stig knows his stuff. Not surprised by the good reviews. A director of GOW 3 delivers. Great job. Finally a good SW SP game. Gonna get this in Dec.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well, in my personal opinion a GOTY has to bring something special to the table for me to stand out. May it be something original, or something familiar but with an immaculate presentation and/or a flawless execution. While Fallen Order–don't get me wrong–still is a great game, it does in my opinion not achieve any of that.
Oh well I guess GOTY definitions vary. Sonic Mania was my 2017 GOTY by a wide margin. I think it's one of the best of the generation. It didn't offer anything new - it just hugely refined what came before. It did it perfectly.

So, for me, originality isn't as important as other criteria - but it may be more so for others.

Thank you for your take on it, John. I guess I just don't like the idea of having to hotfoot it back to my ship the way I came while also having to defeat recently bested enemies. Maybe the combat is so enjoyable that that isn't an issue, but for me it makes it a game I'm not willing to jump in to right away. I hope you continue to enjoy it, and I look forward to any DF pieces on it!
Well, similar to Dark Souls, you can run past most enemies once you've cleared a path the first time. Plus there are shortcuts. It's fairly simple, I've found. If you hated this in Dark Souls, though, then you will hate it here. Fast travel didn't even become an option in that game until very late anyways.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
GOTY is still up for grabs imo. These reviews while good, ain't super glowing either.

There isn't a clear front runner this year.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
GOTY is still up for grabs imo. These reviews while good, ain't super glowing either.

There isn't a clear front runner this year.

I hope RE 2 gets what it deserves, it seems to be the highest reviewed of the likely suspects apart from anything else, unless I'm forgetting something

Not that I really care about game awards anyway

As for this, I don't have any interest in Star Wars but it looks decent and I have it free on Origin anyway

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Respawn doing it again. Will definitely pick this up, probably be my Christmas game.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Any reviewer that played on Xbox One base/Xbox One S will have had a dramatically worse time than someone playing on X or PC.
Is it really that bad? The leaker on Reddit played it on a Xbox One base and was quite impressed. Microsoft even bundles the Xbox One S with the game for 299€.

I will play it on my new PC. Hopefully there are no microstutters with a RTX 2060 Super in 1080p.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I mean you can, but your opinion is worthless, especially when you're dismissing the opinions of people who have actually played the game.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Stig knows his stuff. Not surprised by the good reviews. A director of GOW 3 delivers. Great job. Finally a good SW SP game. Gonna get this in Dec.

Stig Asmussen is the director? I did not know that. But now that you mention it, I see his influence.

Overall, the game looks good, but I'll wait for the first few patches and pick it up in late November/ early December. I've still a lot to discover in Death Stranding.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
For those on PC, how are you finding m+k controls? Have it downloading so it will be ready for when I get in from work. May the force be with you. I have spoken.