• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
WARNING: At this moment the game does NOT have any inverted control option! Buyer beware if you have a preference for inverted controls!

OxzGmzU.png

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....

jfq1gC6.png

DEVELOPER: Raven Software
PUBLISHER: LucasArts and Aspyr Media
RELEASE: March 26, 2002 (Original); September 24, 2019 (Aspyr Media rereleases for PS4 and Switch)
LANGUAGE: English, French, German
GENRE: First-Person Shooter, Third-Person Shooter, Hack and Slash
MODE: Single-player
PRICE: $9.99

NOTE: This game was created before the new Sequel Trilogy was created and so, has many inconsistencies with the new canon. This game and all the other titles in the Jedi Knight series took place in:

Ol1Yrdy.jpg

"After Star Wars was released, it became apparent that my story—however many films it took to tell—was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. But these were not stories that I was destined to tell. Instead, they would spring from the imagination of other writers, inspired by the glimpse of a galaxy that Star Wars provided. Today, it is an amazing, if unexpected, legacy of Star Wars that so many gifted writers are contributing new stories to the Saga."
- George Lucas

Now known as Star Wars Legends, the Expanded Universe (or EU for short) compassed ever single book, video game, published work, etc outside of the then six movies and the Clone Wars series all into one. Basically everything made until April 25, 2014 when the House of Mouse took the reins. The content in the EU explores and continues the stories told in the films, taking place anywhere from over 36,000 years before The Phantom Menace to 136 years after Return of the Jedi.

This game in particular takes place 8 years after Return of the Jedi.

O3NgCDn.png

It is a time of relative peace
in the galaxy. Eight years
have passed since the
Empire's defeat at the
BATTLE OF ENDOR, but the
NEW REPUBLIC still struggles
to restore order and
vanquish its enemies.

After defending the VALLEY
OF THE JEDI from the evil
JEREC and nearly falling to
the Dark Side himself, former
Jedi Knight KYLE KATARN
has severed his connection
with the Force and returned
to his mercenary ways. With
his longtime partner, JAN
ORS, Kyle continues to aid
the Republic in the fight
against the IMPERIAL
REMNANT.

As the Remnant launches its
latest gambit to regain
control of the galaxy, Kyle
and Jan have been sent by
the New Republic to
investigate the planet KEJIM,
home to a long-dead
Imperial outpost…

Two years after the end of Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, you play as Kyle Katarn, a former Jedi. Since nearly falling to the dark side, Katarn has given up his lightsaber and his connection to the Force. Working as a mercenary for the New Republic, he travels the galaxy with his partner Jan Ors. The two receive a transmission from Mon Mothma who asks them to investigate an Imperial Remnant base on Kejim after the New Republic intercepted a suspicious transmission coming from the base containing keywords such as "Reborn" and "Valley of the Jedi." After infiltrating the base and fighting off Remnant forces, Katarn and Ors discovered that the Remnant was up to something more...

lZAr4Xh.png

Kyle Katarn:
kyle-katarn-star-wars-jedi-knight-ii-jedi-outcast-9.77.jpg

"I'm no Jedi; I'm just a guy with a lightsaber and a few questions."

The player character. Kyle was a mercenary who was crucial in stealing the plans for the Death Star, thus allowing the Rebel Alliance to destroy the first Death Star and bring tremendous damage to the empire. A force sensitive user who has had multiple brushes with both the light and the dark side of the Force. Once trained under Luke Skywalker, he left the Jedi Academy after dipping into the dark side in a fit of rage. Now he returns to his mercenary life in order to make a living with his partner Jan. But somewhere deep inside Kyle knows that his connection to the Force is still there, waiting.

Jan Ors:
jan-ors-star-wars-jedi-knight-ii-jedi-outcast-9.17.jpg

"So much for the blue milk run."

An Alderaanian who worked for a terrorist organization before switching over to help the Alliance, Jan has played a pivotal role in working with Kyle to bring the Empire to its knees. She has accompanied Kyle Katarn, who had returned to his mercenary ways after slipping to the dark side on Dromund Kaas, on a number of off-the-record missions against the Imperial Remnant in their new ship, the Raven's Claw.

Luke Skywalker:
luke-skywalker-star-wars-jedi-knight-ii-jedi-outcast-7.19.jpg

"If the ways of the Jedi were easy, there'd be millions of us, instead of dozens."

The Jedi Grand Master of the Jedi Academy. He oversees and trains new Jedi recruits with the help of other teachers in the Jedi Praxeum. Concerned over the betrayal of the apprentice Desann and the return of Kyle Katarn to the Academy, he helps Kyle with reconnecting his bond with the Force and begins retraining him to use his lightsaber again. Calm, collected, and in tune with the Force, he cautions Kyle from becoming too reckless in getting his revenge.

Desann:
desann-star-wars-jedi-knight-ii-jedi-outcast-6.25.jpg

"Thanks to you, the weakling Jedi who scorned me will soon be erased from history, replaced by a new race of warriors; strong warriors, warriors who know that the Force is not a shield to protect the useless… but is, in reality, a weapon… to empower the worthy!"

Hailed from a world where the Force was a strange, unfamiliar thing. Desann was shunned by his own people and lived a life of loneliness and despair, until one day a trader found him and took him to Luke Skywalker's Jedi Praxeum on Yavin 4. Desann then became a Jedi apprentice of Skywalker's, but soon began bullying his comrades. He eventually killed Havet Storm, one of his fellow Jedi, for standing up to his bullying ways and claimed that he was "too weak to be a Jedi." This turned him to the dark side of the Force, and he fled the Academy.

Tavion Axmis:
tavion-axmis-star-wars-jedi-knight-ii-jedi-outcast-5.61.jpg

"Ah, the prodigal Jedi. Have you come seeking vengeance? That's not very Jedi-like."

An Empire Youth in Lord Hethrir's Empire Reborn movement, Tavion displayed signs of Force-sensitivity and was "purified" by an extra-dimensional being. She received training in the use of her Force abilities under Desann, Hethrir's right hand and during this training, Axmis was selected by Desann to be his personal apprentice.

DHLAcyF.png

In Jedi Outcast, you the player are able to wield a variety of weapons from the Star Wars franchise (specifically the EU). You are able to not only use rifles and blasters, but also a lightsaber along with force powers from both the light and dark side. You can choose whether to use first or third-person perspective for each weapon, including the lightsaber. Combat is standard for the shooter genre, offering players an array of energy and projectile weapons, plus explosives. Players have health and shield meters, each of which is replenished separately.

The game places a strong emphasis on lightsaber combat. The game offers three lightsaber styles; fast, medium and strong, with each style differing from the others in terms of the speed of attacks and damage dealt. There are also a number of combos, many of which are unique to the selected saber style. Just like in the films, lightsabers can be used to deflect shots from blasters.

Force powers (such as Push, Jump, and Lightning) are available. The use of powers is restricted by a "Force Meter", which depletes with each use and gradually refills over time. The "level" of a Force power determines the strength of that power and the amount depleted from the Force meter during its use. There are "Neutral" Force powers, which are mostly focused on increasing speed and athletic ability, as well as numerous powers unique to both Light and Dark sides. As in the previous games, Light Side powers are mainly focused around protection and healing, while Dark Side powers are openly aggressive. You aren't bound to one side and can easily use both sides during gameplay.

S4I9K1P.png

jedi-outcast-nintendo-switch-kyle-katarn.jpg

jedi-outcast-nintendo-switch-katarn-force.jpg

jedi-outcast-nintendo-switch-explosion.jpg

jedi-outcast-nintendo-switch-lightning.jpg

jedi-outcast-nintendo-switch-duel.jpg

jedi-outcast-nintendo-switch-katarn-cutscene.jpg

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will buy this after work.

Hopefully the performance is good. It has no reason not to be good...

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Man, they didn't even try to fix the menu or UI stretching. Even kept the letterboxes on the in-engine cinematics.

Last edited:

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Just watched a stream of PS4 version of Outcast and it looks awful. Way worse, than what we have on PC even without any mods. Don't know if portability of Switch will do anything to help either, considering this game runs on any laptop for many years now (and probably on any windows tablet). Huge disappointment. Will wait for JA to see how well will multiplayer work, but have zero expectations at this point.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great OT . This game and academy take me back to my childhood like crazy. Can anyone confirm switch res and frame rate yet?

Last edited:

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Is the game really stretched like that??
I want to buy it to relieve the memories but this looks bad?

BannerThief

Apr 10, 2019
Seattle
I actually replayed this game a year or so ago, and my screaming hot take is that it aged very poorly. The levels are labyrinthine in a bad way, ensuring you consistently get lost thanks to their confusing layout and repeating architecture. The 3D platforming is wonky as hell. The lightsaber combat looks cool but has very poor feedback, so you never have a good sense of what to do during hectic moments, particularly fighting other Force users, who get shoveled in by the truckload in the latter half. Katarn himself is a real blank slate who doesn't seem like he has any inner life.

It's a shame, because I remember really liking it when it first came out, but I was also, well, 11, and had crap tastes. Which is fine! If I liked literally all the same things I liked as a youngling, and in the same way, I'd be very worried that my tastes had never evolved.

Makes me worried to ever return to Jedi Academy, which I remember liking more than this game, because I bet that has all the same exact issues.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
Dissapointing that they did so little to improve it.

Does anyone know if the bonus/demo level is still included?

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
so spoken language is english, french and german, any more language support for subtitles????

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
This guy and his monopoly on gaming OT's. Only joking, you did another good one. As pumped as I am for this, I have to wait since there's so much I still need to catch up on. Might just wait until both games are out and get them together.

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody found out yet how to activate cheats? There is a PS4 trophy for completing a level with activated cheats but there is no option in the menus.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched a stream of PS4 version of Outcast and it looks awful. Way worse, than what we have on PC even without any mods. Don't know if portability of Switch will do anything to help either, considering this game runs on any laptop for many years now (and probably on any windows tablet). Huge disappointment. Will wait for JA to see how well will multiplayer work, but have zero expectations at this point.
So pc version still superior? Hilarious.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
It's mentioned in the OP that it you can't overt the controls, but are they 'normal' to begin with.

I remember not being able to in-invert in Mario Sunshine, and the controls were already inverted.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
It's mentioned in the OP that it you can't overt the controls, but are they 'normal' to begin with.

I remember not being able to in-invert in Mario Sunshine, and the controls were already inverted.
Can't you invert up / down to real life camera controls ???

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favourite games of all time. Not too interested in playing it with a gamepad but I hope people can enjoy it.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Weird that they finally brought this to Xbox backwards compatability this year and also pulled this outtanowhere-port... I wonder if they're possibly toying with the idea of revisiting this style of game, maybe a remake.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Weird that they finally brought this to Xbox backwards compatability this year and also pulled this outtanowhere-port... I wonder if they're possibly toying with the idea of revisiting this style of game, maybe a remake.
Actually Jedi Outcast is not BC compatible with Xbox One. Out of the Jedi Knight series, only Jedi Academy is BC on Xbox. Which makes the decision to not release this port of Jedi Outcast on Xbox One as well even stranger.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Man i played this game and the sequel so much on PC back then. Glad to see them revived, though it's going to take some time to get used playing this with a controller. ^^

Also, "|OT| Kylo Rex" will live on in my heart. ;D

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have the feeling from the videos that there is no auto aim feature, can someone confirm that?
I could be wrong though but I think they just straight up ported the PC version so nothing related to the old consoles port.

Mar 29, 2018
I'm liking the game so far even if it's a bit weird playing with a controller but WHEN DO WE GET THE FREAKIN' LIGHTSABERS?!?
On PC it's common prescribe to open the console and put in the "give lightsaber" cheat immediately.

As a kid who was bad at games it was unbelievably frustrating having to wade through several missions to get there.

On the plus side? It is 100% worth it.