• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
YlsjgZm.jpg

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....

Azo9P6P.jpg
DEVELOPER: Obsidian Entertainment
PUBLISHER: LucasArts
RELEASE: December 6, 2004 (Original); April 26, 2018 (Xbox One Backwards Compatibility)
LANGUAGE: English, French, German, Spanish (UI only), Italian (UI only)
GENRE: Role-Playing
MODE: Single-player
PRICE: $9.99

At this point you might be asking yourself, "AlexFlame116, how DARE you even associate this lowly game with the greatness (or trash depending on your certain point of view) that is The Last Jedi?! You're on the ignore list now!" or something along those lines. But in my humble opinion, The Sith Lords really was The Last Jedi before The Last Jedi ever came out! Both in tone, and in reception. Not review score wise, but more how the fans reacted to it. Even when you leave the unfinished parts behind, the tone of The Sith Lords was vastly different compared to previous Star Wars games. This was a game where the bad guys had technically already won, and that the Jedi were already on the brink of extinction with you being the last known Jedi left.

The game is in some ways, borderline depressing. There's a sense of anguish rooted in the game and in the characters. Gone are the heroic Jedi vs Sith conflicts and the fulfilling endings of before (and that one you can take literally). While KOTOR 1 was more of the classical Star Wars games we all know and love, KOTOR 2 took a more philosophical approach to the journey of light and dark. The lore itself was changed because of this game and fans either applaud it as one of the greatest Star Wars stories ever told, while others call it a sorry excuse of a KOTOR sequel.

But first let's do a bit of catching up on the events prior to The Sith Lords!

MargwUN.jpg

In Knights of The Old Republic, people played as the Padawan, a former soldier who later on trains to become a Jedi with the help of the Jedi Bastila Shan. Bastila, sensing great potential in him and knowing about the visions that he's been having, visions that replay the downfall of the former Sith Lord Darth Revan and the rise of Darth Malak, requests to the Jedi Council located in Dantooine to approve him as being worthy to be trained. During his training, Bastila reveals to the Padawan the location of the ruins where Revan and Malak had gone to discover something terrible. There, the two discover something called a Star Map, one of many relics left behind by an ancient empire known as the Rakatan. These maps, though created mostly as a display of the Rakatan's glory, also pinpoint the exact location of the Star Forge, an ancient facility with the ability to produce mass amounts of starships in moments.

The Padawan, Bastila, and a host of other characters then head off to find the remaining Star Maps in hopes of finding the Star Forge before Darth Malak gets his hands on it. Heading out to the four planets (Tatooine, Kashyyyk, Manaan, and Korriban) the Padawan gets stronger in the Force and forms a bond with Bastila. But as they finish finding all of the Star Maps and prepare to return to Dantooine to report their findings, they are captured by Darth Malak's flagship, the Leviathan. Onboard, as they try to escape, they finally encounter Darth Malak himself, who gives the shocking revelation (seriously, when this game first came out, this was one of the biggest reveals that we have ever had! Such an amazing plot twist!) that the Padawan....... was actually Darth Revan himself.

"Besides, I had to see for myself if it was true. Even now I can hardly believe my eyes... tell me, why did the Jedi spare you? Is it vengeance you seek at this reunion? …. What? Ha-ha-ha! You mean you don't know? Ha-ha-ha! All this time, and you still haven't figured it out? Ha-ha-ha! I wonder how long you would have stayed blind to the truth? Surely some of what you once were must have surfaced by now. Even the combined power of the Jedi Council couldn't keep your true identity buried forever, could it? You cannot hide from what you once were, Revan! Recognize that you were once the Dark Lord – and know that I have taken your place!" - Malak

The shock of the revelation caused Revan to falter for a bit, and Bastila, in a moment of determination, stood her ground against Malak while the others lead Revan out to safety. Though conflicted at who he once was, Revan decided to continue on with the mission to find the Star Forge, and now with Bastila in danger, to rescue her as well.

The rest? Well, I don't want to spoil the actual ending since it ties to The Sith Lords. Just know that if you haven't played KOTOR 1 yet, you owe to yourself to buy it ASAP and play it! But since you're still here, let's move on to the sequel.

2te3Z8e.jpg

It is a perilous time for the
galaxy. A brutal civil war has
all but destroyed the Jedi
Order, leaving the ailing
Republic on the verge of
collapse.

Amid the turmoil, the evil
Sith have spread acorss the
galaxy, hunting down and
destroying the remaining
Jedi Knights.

Narrowly escaping a deadly
Sith ambush, the last known
Jedi clings to life aboard a
battered freighter near the
ravaged world of Peragus...

Five years after the events of the first Knights of the Old Republic, the Sith Lords have hunted the Jedi to the edge of extinction and are on the verge of crushing the Old Republic. With the Jedi Order in ruin, the Republic's only hope is a lone Jedi struggling to reconnect with the Force. As this Jedi, you will be faced with the galaxy's most dire decision: Follow the light side or succumb to the dark…

Vo0cTk8.jpg

The Exile:
o0gakhqgvhqw7cierppcba3.jpg

"Is that job offer for saving the Republic still open?"
(I am aware that The Exile now has a canon name and gender, but considering that that wasn't decided until The Old Republic released, and since the original promotional art for The Sith Lords portrayed a male Exile, I am going to use the Frisk and Chara approach)

A former Jedi general who once served under Revan in the Mandalorian Wars, before being cast out of the Order. The Exile was on their way to return to the Republic after the end of the Jedi Civil War as this game begins. This poor fellow has A LOT of baggage. They are the definition of "more than meets the eye". Oh yeah and also, they were cut out from their connection to the Force before it became cool. Take that Luke!

Kreia:
db4f97a911c55834e8956c78fb0d486b.jpg

"Take the greatest Jedi Knight, strip away the Force, and what remains? They rely on it. Depend on it, more than they know. Watch as one tries to hold a blaster, as they try to hold a lightsaber, and you will see nothing more than a woman – or a man. A child."

A mysterious old woman who meets The Exile in the Peragus Mining Facility. A powerful Force sensitive user, Kreia acts as your mentor throughout your journey to restore order to the Republic, helping your character reestablish their connection to the Force. While her motives are initially shrouded in mystery, you'll find that Kreia can be your greatest ally, or your greatest enemy. She's also a big hypocrite. The coolest thing is that she has a force bond with The Exile, the same like the one that Ben Solo and Rey share.

Atton Rand:
208cc017f450f71595804789584295f8.jpg

"Are you an angel? Aw, I'm just kidding. That's the worst line I've ever used. Hope some poor kid doesn't start using it."

A scoundrel smuggler that you meet aboard the Peragus Mining Facility. One has to wonder what goes on in his head at times. Being desperate for allies in the hostile facility, you and Atton team up to escape, taking off in the Ebon Hawk. But don't worry. He may have a sharp tongue, and he may not always be the most willing party member, but he's got a good heart and he's very loyal. As long as you're willing to listen. He's also freaking hilarious and is probably the funnest party member to have around!

Bao-Dur:
72542e49926bd28706e30b7ed15aff26.jpg

"I'll take the stupid one who decided to threaten us rather than shoot us when he had the chance."

A Zebrak who was an engineer assisting The Exile during the Mandelorian Wars as an engineer and a combat technician. Nowadays he spends his time helping out the Ithorians in returning the planet Telos to it's former beauty. He has a long history with The Exile, and constantly calls them General even if The Exile requests that he stops. He may sound dull, but he's quite unique, and is a prime example of being afraid of the quiet ones.

The Handmaiden:
e7ec839eaa358ea631cf4cdf96a24ecc.jpg

"Pulling a... Bindo?"

One of the many handmaidens that Master Atris has, she is unique in that she is ostracized for being different oddly enough. She joins The Exile to keep watch on him under commands from Atris. Though at first suspicious of you, eventually she can be persuaded to see you in a different light. A master of the Echani combat, she will gladly teach you what she knows if you ask nicely. She's quite the green-eyed monster as well! She is only available as a party member if The Exile is a male.

Visas Marr:
e6d4e10125c5f72550c0a2cbac493eb5.jpg

"My life for yours."

The sole survivor of the Miraluka race after Darth Nihilus consumed the planet. Though at first sent to kill you by the demonic Sith Lord, you have the option of sparing her life. Doing so will give you one of the most loyal companions you could have, even going as far as declaring The Exile as her new master. Devoted to your every beck and call, she'll even die for you if you so desired. But why let her die? She may look aloof but she's a real nice girl so be kind. Just not too kind in front of a certain someone.

Mira:
d713f93a4de7aa4a55caca0113935c92.jpg

"It's simple - when you want a man, you jab him with a Bothan Stunner, then while he's screaming in pain, slap some stun cuffs on him."

A bounter hunter whom you encounter on the planet Nar Shaddaa. She's different from her fellow hunters due to her preferrence of taking her quarries alive rather than dead – which is good news for The Exile! Being pursued by a crazy Wookie named Hanharr, she joins your party after rescuing you from the Exchange. She's actually a very useful party member and can be quite powerful when using blasters. She also has a great sibling like relationship with The Exile! Only available to light-side or neutral Exiles though.

The Disciple:
f46e02aad5fdc7f76055a4e9289bccf3.jpg

"No, Atton, I think it may be a trap!"

A Republic scholar who has a fascination for the Jedi. He doesn't harbor hatred for the fallen Order like some others do. He encounters The Exile on Dantoonie, in the ruins of the Jedi Enclave, where he is searching for lost holocrons. The dude is a goody two shoes and it's adorable how he stumbles over his own words when speaking to The Exile, much to Atton's jealousy. He is only available as a party member if The Exile is a female.

rfi9Qf8.jpg
Knights of the Old Republic II, like it's predecessor, is an RPG played from a third-person perspective with real-time combat that can be paused. Combat and interactions with the environment and non-player characters are the same as the first KOTOR. The game begins with a character creation screen with several choices to make, and there is also an option of letting the game do it automatically for you. There are 30 new Force powers in Knights of the Old Republic II as well several minigames, including swoop bike racing and the card game Pazaak. One improvement over the original is that the interface has been streamlined and party management has been made easier; for example, the player can switch between two selected weapon sets in the menu. Just like the first KOTOR, the player can choose to align with either the light side or the dark side. Choosing dialogue options that are respectful and empathetic gives The Exile light side points, while options that are egotistic and evil result in dark side points. Not that I'm judging or anything!

The combat of Knights of the Old Republic II is identical to its predecessor. Several new lightsaber forms were added to the game. Each of them is useful for a different situation. For example, one is best for enemies using blaster weapons, while another would be good for recovering from using Force powers. You can use a variety of melee and ranged weapons, including swords and blasters. Fighting unarmed is also an option if you choose to go that route. Once you reach a certain level in the game, a new addition to the game are "prestige classes" are available for you. They are add-ons to the Jedi classes that were established in the first game. They allow the you to excel in lightsaber combat or Force powers, depending on your choice.

Like the first game, The Exile can travel with up to two party members at a time, which gain experience points at the same rate as the player character. Equipment and perks for party characters can be selected for different statistical effects or abilities. Players can loot them dead bodies and various objects in the environment.

2662647-5158604324-400px.jpg

One new feature that stands out from the original is the influence system. You as The Exile have the ability to "influence" your party members; by doing things that impress them, you increase their influence with them. Depending on the level of influence, party members may support The Exile unconditionally or turn against them in crucial moments. The best part is that you can also exploit high influence by drawing party members to either the light side or the dark side, with some characters getting the option to be trained to use the Force.

KOTOR II is, for all intents and purposes, an unfinished game, especially on the XBOX with it's lack of mods. Something you'll definitely notice later on in the game. I won't spoil anything, but you'll quickly see what I mean as you reach the end. Which is a huge shame since the game had the potential of truly being an astounding piece of work had LucasArts given it the time it needed rather than rushing it to be released for the holiday season. That being said, I still wholeheartedly recommend playing through it. It's quite possibly my favorite Star Wars game due to how different it feels. I first played it on the Xbox years ago and quickly fell in love with it.

Star-Wars-Knights-of-Old-Republic-2-DarkSide.jpeg

2ER1BEAl.jpg

xbox-50826-31369975414.jpg

vq0F9Zkl.jpg

i2THiTLl.jpg

405345-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii-the-sith-lords-xbox.jpg

LAST PIECE OF ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU IS EVEN THOUGH PARAGUS SUCKS AND IS A HUGE CHORE TO GET THROUGH, PLEASE STICK TO IT AND PUSH THROGH THAT LEVEL! IT GETS BETTER IN MY OPINION!

kreia.png

Last edited:

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
No restored content mod additions?

Edit: Disregard, I was mistaken about what this is

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Great OT, replayed it fairly recently.

No Hanharr in the character list though?
I wasn't sure if I should have included him to be honest since I added Mira. Though now that I think about it, you're right. Since I did put Mira it would only be fair to include Hanharr due to the choices you make. I'll get to work on that after I finish the Battlefront OT!

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wasn't sure if I should have included him to be honest since I added Mira. Though now that I think about it, you're right. Since I did put Mira it would only be fair to include Hanharr due to the choices you make. I'll get to work on that after I finish the Battlefront OT!

Hey no rush, I'm sure you've got a life outside of this OT.

I just figured if you included Visas it wouldn't be unreasonable to include Hanharr, if it were for spoiler-ish reasons.

I can understand not including G0-T0 though.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Damn i still need to play this... i started it like 10 years ago or whatever but then never got far and quit.

I LOVED KOTOR1 so this really should be higher up on my to play list... but time and motivation are hard to come by these days :(

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm buying this digitally the second I finish my original KotOR playthrough. It's great being able to come back to these in such good shape on a bigger display.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I've seen a lot of people shit on KOTOR 2, but in many ways I like it more than the original (which I love). A lot of the characters are more nuanced, and elements of the story have a lot more going on beneath the surface than the original. A shame areas were cut/rushed, but overall it never hurt my enjoyment of the game.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I want to replay this with the restored content mod on PC. Thanks for the OT, it brings back memories ! I enjoyed this game more than the first one.

IXI FalcoN

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a lot of people shit on KOTOR 2, but in many ways I like it more than the original (which I love). A lot of the characters are more nuanced, and elements of the story have a lot more going on beneath the surface than the original. A shame areas were cut/rushed, but overall it never hurt my enjoyment of the game.

Agreed, KOTOR 2 was unique in that aspect within the Star Wars universe. Love both these games.

Really wish Obsidian had more time to actually finish the game. Another year and it could have had a 360 port too.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I need to get around to playing this. I never got around to it back in the day despite loving KOTOR 1. I think I even bought it late in the generation and just never got around to it.

I have it on Steam with the restored content mod installed, just need to get to it. Maybe I'll give it a go when I'm done with God of War if I don't feel like going back to AC Black Flag.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
If you're playing this for the first time, make sure to keep plenty of saves at different points. There are some game-breaking bugs that were never fixed, but can be worked around by going back to an older save.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I hate to be that guy, but Kotor 2 actually follows through on it's interesting themes whereas TLJ brings some up then drops them for the status quo. They aren't that similar at all is what I'm getting at.

It's a good game that people should play if they want a different, and like you said philosophical approach, to Star Wars.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It's live!
I hate to be that guy, but Kotor 2 actually follows through on it's interesting themes whereas TLJ brings some up then drops them for the status quo. They aren't that similar at all is what I'm getting at.

It's a good game that people should play if they want a different, and like you said philosophical approach, to Star Wars.
But the point that I'm trying to bring is that it brings them up in the first place. Sure the final execution is different but overall, both bring something new to the table. Both were either highly regarded or discarded immediately, and both did do things differently than their predecessors.

The sad thing is that The Old Republic either ignores the things that KOTOR II taught, or reverses them to make them more "approachable".

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Even without the restored content mod, I never got to play KOTOR 2, so I am stoked to play it regardless.

SloMoBackSlap

Feb 15, 2018
What I really enjoyed about this game was how each Jedi fighting style you learned was useful. It wasn't just filler. Obsidian improved upon the combat system Bioware created. Storywise, it was a hot mess. But I enjoyed the game nonetheless.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
loved this game, rebought it on pc a few years back, never got to play it again. Any necessary mods to make it better?

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
On my 4th replay. First time on steam and with the restored content

Still amazing, and im on dantooine and still have korriban and the return to the palace part to do, and im already 60 hours in ( with all side quests done though)

Been playing it slowly over 7 months in the background of all my other games.

Such an amazing game. Wish i played a female character though, honestly might prefer the diciple more to hand maiden

Although Mira and Bao- Dur are still the goats.

Did you forget about mandalore and hk in the character lineup, or you leaving it for new players?'

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the best place to play this would be on PC/Mac with the restored content mod, but if that's not possible oh well. Still a gem of a game.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Ahh, I was mistaken about what it was. Nevermind then. I really do love this game though, even without the restored content. Kreia is so awesome.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favourite games ever, even it is woefully unfinished. The Xbox version certainly isn't the ideal way to play it, the PC restored content mod is essential even just to fix the many game-breaking bugs, but I think I'll get my old disc out and play it here anyway just for the novelty and to remind myself of how I played and fell in love with it originally.

Oct 25, 2017
This is on a short-list for me of greatest games ever made...and it's UNFINISHED.

Peak Obsidian is the best developer on earth, and for me, it's not even particularly close. Even their bad games are fascinating and interesting and amazing (well, except for South Park).

Oct 25, 2017
I returned to this when Aspyr gave it the SimCity 4 treatment, cleaned it up for modern systems on PC/Mac, and added support for the restored content mod, and was honestly a little let down by how it had aged (not even graphically, but in design and story). This is the definition of a great middle-game, with some promising elaborations on its predecessor's systems, trapped between a dreadful beginning and end. Glad to see it join the ranks of Xbox upscaling, though, as it's interesting enough (and as a Star Wars game, simply different enough) to warrant a look from anyone. Incomplete and broken as it is, it's like nothing else in its license or genre.