• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1552043423250653187

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, a remake of a 2003 role-playing game, is delayed indefinitely as developers at Austin, Texas-based Aspyr Media try to figure out what comes next. Aspyr also abruptly fired the game's art director and design director this month. In a series of meetings throughout July, Aspyr's two studio heads told employees that the project is on pause and that the company will look for new contracts and development opportunities, said the people, who were not authorized to speak publicly about the situation.

On June 30, Aspyr finalized a demo of the game, known as a vertical slice, to show to production partners Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC and Sony Group Corp. The developers were excited about it and felt like they were on track, according to a person familiar with the project, so they were shocked by what happened next.

The following week, the company fired design director Brad Prince and art director Jason Minor. Neither responded to requests for comment, but Minor suggested on a social media page that his dismissal was unexpected.

One person familiar with the discussions suggested that a disproportionate amount of time and money had gone into the demo and that the project's current course wasn't sustainable. Another point of contention may be the timeline. At the outset of development, Aspyr told staff and partners it would release the game by the end of 2022, according to two people familiar with production. Developers said a more realistic target now would be 2025.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022
Not going to lie I kind of tuned out after hearing about the possible combat system change. Immediately lost interest in the project.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Darth-Vader-No-Gif.gif

Just wondering; how the hell can a remake like this be screwed up? I know it's a fresh face for AAA development but it has quite a few AAA veterans and what not. Figured it wouldn't end up like this?
We'll I guess now we know they are serious about nailing this.
Aprutly firing two directors and indefintely firing two directors doesn't strike me as a smooth project.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
At the outset of development, Aspyr told staff and partners it would release the game by the end of 2022, according to two people familiar with production. Developers said a more realistic target now would be 2025.

That's... well, that's wild.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I guess they were really planning on fucking with the game and it wasn't working out.

Who would've thought

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Not surprised at all. I don't think this sees the light of day unless another dev takes over. This sounded way too ambitious for a studio that has largely handled straight ports of older Star Wars games. A ground up reimagining of KOTOR is a huge undertaking, as big as any modern AAA RPG. Bioware couldn't handle this today.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
No idea whats been going on but the announcement with this developer never added up to me.

Re-playing KOTOR now and to re-make it in todays' standards would be a mammoth undertaking, and I'm not sure what these guys have done to show they could deliver on the same scale.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly delayed so it doesn't get in the way of KOTOR 3.

I STILL BELIEEEEEEEEEVE

and don't make that the MMO is all the sequels joke

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Did this ever get announced with a release year/timeframe? I had a feeling it was a looooooooooong way out.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Lol, seriously. Guess the money ran out. Reminds of the MP 4 fiasco and being scrapped and rebooted.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Uhh, did they massively underestimate the workload or what?

Jul 2, 2021
On June 30, Aspyr finalized a demo of the game, known as a vertical slice, to show to production partners Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC and Sony Group Corp. The developers were excited about it and felt like they were on track, according to a person familiar with the project, so they were shocked by what happened next.

The following week, the company fired design director Brad Prince and art director Jason Minor. Neither responded to requests for comment, but Minor suggested on a social media page that his dismissal was unexpected

It was that bad huh?

Last edited: