Cefalü

May 23, 2022
They did not specify any reasons why.
However, they did offer the possibility of exchanging the key for another star wars game for those who bought the base game.

View: https://twitter.com/AspyrMedia/status/1664784147867480070

FxqAW_CWAAMn780

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Well guess I'm not buying KotoR 2 on Switch then. Super shitty they couldn't make it happen.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I heard the rumor that Aspyr didn't get the greenlight from Disney for the restored content I figured this would be the end result.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting for KOTOR II to play it this way. I've never actually played it but this seemed like the best time to hop on. Glad I didn't buy it on Switch already in anticipation of this.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Damn, that sucks. Also, I didn't know there were so many old Star Wars games ported to the Switch. Unfortunately, I wanted to play Rogue Squadron II and it's not on that list.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Booo.
Well now port racer's revenge, bounty Hunter and Bombad racing to switch already. And rogue squadron perhaps

OP
OP
Cefalü

Cefalü

May 23, 2022
I think at this point we saw the writing on the wall, but at the very least we're owed an explanation. Likes... poor sales, cost/effort needed or legal?
There were rumours that, since it's a fan-made mod, they were having legal problems with Disney.

Realistically speaking, I don't even think there could be any other explanation.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Didn't this port also have a game breaking bug? Did that ever get fixed?

It's a shame, but at this point, i don't think there was a meaningful reason to believe it was still happening.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That sucks. The potential DLC was probably the most interesting aspect of KOTOR even getting a new port (As PC has mods that handle that and other aspects).

Hopefully we at see port of 1 & 2 on PS to make up for the delay of the remake and now this. Wouldn't help fans on the switch but at least all platforms could play the original games now.

Oct 27, 2017
It was always a weird announcement to me. What is the precedent of a fan mod being added as official content?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the process here? I went to their support page but don't see anything about requesting a code for purchasing the game.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Thing is how did Disney not even see or clear that before the messaging got out that that was Aspyr's intention?
Yea I found this wierd. I've worked with people who have done video content with Disney/Lucasfilm and they got assigned a Lucasfilm sort of continuity/account manager and every step of the project had to be relayed to them and then to Lucasfilm for approval. Basic stuff like how battle scarred an X Wing had to be to fit the era, making sure all the ships were in the correct proportions what insignas to out on it, the challenged weird stuff like the Tie Fighters were not allowed to shoot at the camera because they didn't want to make it seem like it was aiming at the viewer etc. Then when it was done various exports in different formats and requests for different bitrates.

I thought that was just a Lucasfilm thing that they would have to ok any 3rd parties that put out content. Unless Aspyr gave Lucasfilm a different trailer or more likely didn't explain properly what the cut content DLC was (ie not entirely cut developer content but fan mods restoring cut content).

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
I bought this game thinking that this DLC was going to come, then I got sick of waiting for it and just played the damn thing and had a pretty good time.

I can't figure out, what's the best game on that list?

Jun 5, 2018
Such a simple concept seems to have been out of reach, how unfortunate. The fact the franchise has been so hit and miss over the years to where a mod was a selling point in the first place is disappointing to begin with, but to then fall through with their promise is even worse.

I'm not sure how I'd feel if I had purchased the game, though I did consider it for a time, I do feel the compensation is a little lacking too.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Yea I found this wierd. I've worked with people who have done video content with Disney/Lucasfilm and they got assigned a Lucasfilm sort of continuity/account manager and every step of the project had to be relayed to them and then to Lucasfilm for approval. Basic stuff like how battle scarred an X Wing had to be to fit the era, making sure all the ships were in the correct proportions what insignas to out on it, the challenged weird stuff like the Tie Fighters were not allowed to shoot at the camera because they didn't want to make it seem like it was aiming at the viewer etc. Then when it was done various exports in different formats and requests for different bitrates.

I thought that was just a Lucasfilm thing that they would have to ok any 3rd parties that put out content. Unless Aspyr gave Lucasfilm a different trailer or more likely didn't explain properly what the cut content DLC was (ie not entirely cut developer content but fan mods restoring cut content).
If I could tell you some of the Marvel notes I've gotten back over the years? Lol

drinking-pouring.gif

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
Even near 20 year old games are getting apology tweets now.*

Was the last dev apology letter this week or last? Trying to keep track of the accelerating cadence at this point.

*And yes, I know this is on Asypr, not the original release.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
haha, the old "Friday evening right as everyone's leaving work" time slot for delivering a shitty message. someone over there has taken PR 101

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
How the fuck did they manage to fuck this up is what I wanna know. They couldn't handle this why have any hope for the remake?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I bought this game thinking that this DLC was going to come, then I got sick of waiting for it and just played the damn thing and had a pretty good time.

I can't figure out, what's the best game on that list?
The force unleashed(which is the Wii/ps2 version) is surprisingly great and unique with a different flow from the hd version and a really cool multiplayer battle mode

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Thing is how did Disney not even see or clear that before the messaging got out that that was Aspyr's intention?
Yeah, idk I just find that explanation hard to believe. Aspyr didn't blast out communication and a plan about Restored Content when they announced this port without checking with Disney. They have a legal team. They've ported this game to other platforms before.

(Plus, isn't Restored Content "officially" available on iPhone? Even if it's through a roundabout install or whatever, I'm pretty sure Aspyr themselves officially document how to use it on iPhone and/or Android.)

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Yeah it's a bit strange, maybe they ended up with legal problems that neither of them had foreseen?
Didn't see this comment when I initially replied above (hadn't refreshed), but yeah this I could buy I suppose. They are on agreeable terms to it, green light for announcement, then something comes up.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Severely disappointed with Aspyr and Lucasfilm over this. I bought KOTOR 2 on launch cause I was so excited at finally seeing the Restored Content be available officially instead of by just a mod.

Another ball dropped by Aspyr and I hope the person who gave the rejection stops meddling in these things for good if that post a couple of posts above me is to be believed.

I'll get Force Unleashed probably cause I already have Outcast and the amazing Academy.

I hope someone one day releases that canceled Wii version of the Rogue Squadron Trilogy to modern platforms.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
For those wanting to play KOTOR 2 with the Restored Content, here you go:

store.steampowered.com

STAR WARS™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II - The Sith Lords™ on Steam

5 years after the events of the award winning original, the Sith are on the verge of crushing the Old Republic. As a lone Jedi, will you follow the light side or succumb to the dark?

Btw, the Steam version even has controller support, thanks to a patch released by Aspyr. Works on the Steam Deck too.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
blows my mind that despite that being a rumor very very early on (that they didnt get full clearance on the cut content due to it using fan work for profit) and LRG's version even making it clear during preorders it couldn't include the DLC on their version, aspyr just... sat on this and didn't mention a word for A YEAR! Q3 came and went with not a word, rumors intensified, then they edited the trailer to delete the DLC content mention... and now this. The lack of refunds is honestly appalling for those who bought it for the restored content alone, tbh. I wonder if this means they're no longer allowed to port anything else to consoles due to this mess and the remake.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
I'm sure it was out of their control but no refunds? Embarrassing, who would ever buy a product from these grifters?