• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Star Wars |OT| New Canon, New Forum [NO IX SPOILERS]

OP
OP
sphagnum
Oct 25, 2017
I am now a few issues in and I am still not exactly surte whats the complete situation of the politics in the galaxy is.
The Sith are back open and in all their evil, alligned with one of the two new galactic empires, who beat the alliance. But it appears that basicly everyone is super fine with this even the few remaining Jedi, who only care about the sith? Idk, I dont think this all is very believable, espescially since not that much time has passed since the New Republic died?
It's actually been like 70 years or something since the New Republic collapsed and was replaced by the Galactic Alliance. Since that time, the Fel Dynasty has been working hard to portray themselves as the "good" empire. They're law abiding, non-xenophobic, spent a bunch to help rebuild the galaxy, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody ever played KOTOR on mobile? How does it play?

A shame they never remastered it.
Haven't played but googling indicates it works pretty well though apparently the ship defense minigame is problematic on touchscreen. Then again, one can use a bluetooth controller apparently.

Honestly, it would need to be a remake really, that is, overhauled gameplay. DnD 3.5 is not very good system for computer games, and especially now thanks to how BioWare balanced it. KOTOR 2's gameplay is much better but still suffers from the base system.
Incidentally, is there a gameplay mod for KOTOR that improves its gameplay to be more akin to KOTOR 2? That is, blasters and skills (and other stuff) being viable and useful, as opposed to vanilla KOTOR where they're worthless.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, i forgot to comment on SW Legacy.
It is the only other comic series i have, next to those KOTOR comics.

I found it pretty good. Some interesting ideas and takes on old ideas, some old plot threads resurface here which is kinda neat (though i don't own other comics, i've read some of the other old Dark Horse comics in libraries and otherwise). In many ways, it is a retelling of the original trilogy, though with more edge, so to speak. Junkie protagonist lol.
Its weaknesses come from the old EU stuff that precedes it, and those things being strange if you aren't familiar with them. Galactic Alliance, Yuuzhan Vong invasion, that shit. Fortunately Wookieepedia exists.

Kind of ironically the sequel trilogy has the same issue, though here it is because the stuff in-between is missing rather than being kind of shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason every Legacy Sith has Darth Maul Tatoos and is red?
Meta, i'd assume it is just a visual shorthand for "this guy's a Sith". In-universe, i assume the Sith really like the color red and tattoos. Plus it is sort of a uniform. One Sith are a singular organization, even if they do retain the Sith's natural tendency to backstab, a uniform exists to create a sense of unity and curbs worst of the backstabbiness.

Some musing on the uniform and titles and stuff:
I think the Darth Bane trilogy had the Brotherhood of Darkness sect of the Sith not to use the Darth title because it caused fragmentation among the Sith. They may have had a point, for Darth Bane took the title Darth and effectively destroyed the Brotherhood. Then again, SWTOR depicts the Sith Empire being relatively unified despite the Sith running around with Darth titles. But the smarter Sith there did believe in certain ideals.
Kinda hope new canon would study the ancient Sith at some point, and do it smartly.

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Meta, i'd assume it is just a visual shorthand for "this guy's a Sith". In-universe, i assume the Sith really like the color red and tattoos. Plus it is sort of a uniform. One Sith are a singular organization, even if they do retain the Sith's natural tendency to backstab, a uniform exists to create a sense of unity and curbs worst of the backstabbiness.

Some musing on the uniform and titles and stuff:
I think the Darth Bane trilogy had the Brotherhood of Darkness sect of the Sith not to use the Darth title because it caused fragmentation among the Sith. They may have had a point, for Darth Bane took the title Darth and effectively destroyed the Brotherhood. Then again, SWTOR depicts the Sith Empire being relatively unified despite the Sith running around with Darth titles. But the smarter Sith there did believe in certain ideals.
Kinda hope new canon would study the ancient Sith at some point, and do it smartly.
I feel like I need to really read the Bane books, one of the few EU things that I am really interested in

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I need to really read the Bane books, one of the few EU things that I am really interested in
The Sith stuff is interesting, provided you can read about a murderous bastardly villain protagonist.
Unfortunately the writing leaves a lot to be desired (though it ain't the worst of Star Wars). Also don't think they make Bane (or anyone else) particularly interesting characters. Really, the main draw is the story of the Sith.
If you do read those, i also recommend reading Darth Plagueis (if you haven't already) as it basically details the end of the Rule of Two Sith's rise where the Bane trilogy shows the start, though that one works best if one is familiar with various EU works set before TPM, as it references those and sorta ties events together.

EDIT Incidentally, i seem to recall that Tarkin canonized several elements from Darth Plagueis.

Who knew those innocuous looking droids could actually pose a threat?

This Resistance episode was preeetttyyy good. This Resistance is way better when it's actually about, you know, the Resistance.
I agree, I'm particularly enjoying getting some more excellent world building for the ST-era. Seeing more of how the First Order operates on the fringes of the unknown regions has been interesting, learning how they've been amassing both wealth and arms. I'm also enjoying seeing the failings of the New Republic play out. It's clear that in their desire to be less like the Empire they've course corrected too far in the wrong directions (decentralising power and reducing the size and budget their military), whilst failing to adequately combat the rampant corruption that helped bring out the fall of the last Republic.

I'm also really quite enjoying it from character perspectives. Watching Leia warn Poe not too act engage directly with the FO, only to have Poe ignore her warning, does compliment the harsh lesson he'll be forced to learn in TLJ.