• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
I decided to catch up on Resistance. It's still kind of a boring show but I think I'll stick with it from now on just to see if it gets more interesting eventually. Hopefully it does.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
yeah i got the art of TLJ and it's great. some good stuff in there. Reminded that i wish they followed through with finn and rose getting cleaned up in canto bight in some new clothes. i guess they though that that one dude would've have recognized them if there were wearing different clothes. ah well.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, Spidey AND John Wick trailers are dropping this week.

Makes me wonder if they're scrambling to get out in front of something... else

Also, Disney earnings call is first week of February ;)

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The funniest thing about the Making of Empire book is Ridley Scott's foreword, where he praises Lucas and the imagination behind the original film, with a passing "oh and the sequels are fine or whatever", forgetting I guess that the book he was introducing was about one of those sequels.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is Rey going to get any serious dark side temptation in episode 9 or did we already get this trilogy's equivalent of that in TLJ?
I hope she gets pushed in EP9. It's something I really wanted to see happen in EP8. I really thought some dark side temptations could have been used in her hatred for Kylo. Instead we got her freaking running to him for help.

But I'm not really sure how that can be accomplished now because she doesn't hate him anymore. He was the last chance she had at utilizing her hate/rage IMO. Snoke would be the next closest and.. well we know where he is now.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope she gets pushed in EP9. It's something I really wanted to see happen in EP8. I really thought some dark side temptations could have been used in her hatred for Kylo. Instead we got her freaking running to him for help.

But I'm not really sure how that can be accomplished now because she doesn't hate him anymore. He was the last chance she had at utilizing her hate/rage IMO. Snoke would be the next closest and.. well we know where he is now.
Yea, Kylo even says to her, "You have that look in your eye. Like you did that night in the forest" so it seems to me that RJ did pick up on that as being her "edging toward the dark side" moment but he never really did anything substantial with it. She also showed some serious anger towards Luke when she went after him with her stick and then let out some fearsome screams in the fight against the Pretorian Guards.

Maybe they can some up some kind of rivalry between her and a ... female Knight of Ren that happens to be Kylo's new love interest or something and she gets jealous/possessive or something. Idk just spitballing

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Because of this thread. I just bought that Making of Empire book and the Art of books for TFA and TLJ.

I hesitate buying any art book because I hate seeing cut stuff that I think would've been really dope. And, seeing cut stuff for SW is even more painful.

It's a problem with Ep.9 in general and something JJ will have to tackle, what is there left for Rey to do but beat Kylo? ROTJ doesn't have this problem despite being a wonky movie, but the reason everything with Luke works is because his goal is not to destroy the evil bad guy. The previous film changed what "victory" looks like for Luke Skywalker as now "victory" is not defeating Darth Vader but saving him. Then add to that the temptation of joining his father on the Dark Side.

Rey doesn't really have any of that, her character defects mostly resolved by the end of TLJ and her "victory" goal clear, defeat Kylo Ren and The First Order. Ep. 9 will need to cook something interesting up to not make this feel like a standard, "kill the bad guy" story.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yea, Kylo even says to her, "You have that look in your eye. Like you did that night in the forest" so it seems to me that RJ did pick up on that as being her "edging toward the dark side" moment but he never really did anything substantial with it. She also showed some serious anger towards Luke when she went after him with her stick and then let out some fearsome screams in the fight against the Pretorian Guards.
And for me those were some of the best moments in the film. Rey has absolutely every reason to be tempted by the dark side.. which is in every single person. Some people have made the argument of "well she's too good to follow that path".. which I just don't buy or believe is really relatable at all to most people. When she said fuck it and screamed her head off in the throne room.. those are moments that are raw and natural. Angry Rey is a compelling Rey, because TFA set this up very well with her and Kylo.

I would have loved to see Kylo push her further. In EP8, RJ was on the perfect path for this.. like you said, he picked up on that thread very quickly and naturally. But then he decided to abruptly toss it to the side, in favor of her actually (and quite foolishly) helping him.

Kylo should have taunted her with her parents, her loneliness.. enraged her. I think that would have made for a much more compelling reason for Rey to approach Kylo. Maybe Snoke devises a vision that pulls her away, a hint or sudden urge for Rey to search for the answers to her background/upbringing. There are a lot of possible avenues.

You still get Luke's "this is not going to go the way you think"

Rey has more of a focus, she's allowed to fail harder and fall on her face before coming to her senses and rediscovering her real character.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I hesitate buying any art book because I hate seeing cut stuff that I think would've been really dope. And, seeing cut stuff for SW is even more painful.

It's a problem with Ep.9 in general and something JJ will have to tackle, what is there left for Rey to do but beat Kylo? ROTJ doesn't have this problem despite being a wonky movie, but the reason everything with Luke works is because his goal is not to destroy the evil bad guy. The previous film changed what "victory" looks like for Luke Skywalker as now "victory" is not defeating Darth Vader but saving him. Then add to that the temptation of joining his father on the Dark Side.

Rey doesn't really have any of that, her character defects mostly resolved by the end of TLJ and her "victory" goal clear, defeat Kylo Ren and The First Order. Ep. 9 will need to cook something interesting up to not make this feel like a standard, "kill the bad guy" story.
Yeah, it will be a definite challenge because a lot of Rey's conflict was resolved in EP8. There's gotta be a real threat that pushes her out of her comfort zone, otherwise this trilogy will have been completely squandered IMO.

This next film needs to be focused on Rey, the main character, on her hero's journey.. she needs a challenge and a major setback.
How bout Kylo kills Finn and that's just the last straw and she goes apeshit
Don't you dare. But shit I've never thought of that before. Rey loves Finn, whether you interpret as a friend or more. I wonder if Kylo will use this to enrage her as Vader did to Luke with Leia.

What if Kylo uses Rey's feelings for Finn to allow her to believe he killed him. Wow.. that would make for a massive fucking flipout..

Fuck I hardly even care that it's in ROTJ, I want to SEE THAT NOW.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Rian really did put a trilogy worth of ideas in one movie.

And nah Finn should kick ass and take names in IX. He takin no L's anymore.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Rian really did put a trilogy worth of ideas in one movie.
Which to me.. does work against it. It feels exhausting to watch as a full film IMO. There are a lot of good to great ideas but there are just a few too many stuffed in. However, you'd need to completely rewrite the movie to change it, as almost nothing could be removed and keep the plot intact.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it will be a definite challenge because a lot of Rey's conflict was resolved in EP8. There's gotta be a real threat that pushes her out of her comfort zone, otherwise this trilogy will have been completely squandered IMO.

This next film needs to be focused on Rey, the main character, on her hero's journey.. she needs a challenge and a major setback.

Don't you dare. But shit I've never thought of that before. Rey loves Finn, whether you interpret as a friend or more. I wonder if Kylo will use this to enrage her as Vader did to Luke with Leia.

What if Kylo uses Rey's feelings for Finn to allow her to believe he killed him. Wow.. that would make for a massive fucking flipout..

Excuse you, but TFA had two leads; don't you dare put Finn on the sidelines again.

One aspect I thought they might go with Rey is that she increasingly isolates herself from Finn and the rest of teh gang as she is the ONLY one that can save everyone as a Jedi. She takes her responsibility too hard and feels like no one else can understand or share her burden to the detriment of her well being and relationships. And, that's when Luke will show up to bomp her on the head and call her an idiot.

You know, the Harry Potter arc.

Which to me.. does work against it. It feels exhausting to watch as a full film IMO. There are a lot of good to great ideas but there are just a few too many stuffed in. However, you'd need to completely rewrite the movie to change it, as almost nothing could be removed and keep the plot intact.

I could think of at least one thing that could be removed. 😊

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

But that same reasoning make me so excited for his trilogy.

which is still coming I hope

EDIT: and yo. Wtf is happening to these EA SW games. Jeeeeeez.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Excuse you, but TFA had two leads; don't you dare put Finn on the sidelines again.

One aspect I thought they might go with Rey is that she increasingly isolates herself from Finn and the rest of teh gang as she is the ONLY one that can save everyone as a Jedi. She takes her responsibility too hard and feels like no one else can understand or share her burden to the detriment of her well being and relationships. And, that's when Luke will show up to bomp her on the head and call her an idiot.

You know, the Harry Potter arc.
I can see that happening, and it would make a lot of sense for the story. However I really really hope that doesn't happen because we pretty much got that in EP8 and everybody was separated. I hope everybody is in this film, and the big three are together and have a huge amount of screentime, the reverse of OT, we get the gang together in the end rather than the beginning.

Don't fret, I'm talking about a split moment, maybe toward the end of the movie, maybe in the last 10 or 15 min, Rey and Finn go separate ways to get the job done. Kylo lies to Rey, tells her he knows that Finn is dead, he ordered the attack for his betrayal to the FO. He is manipulating Rey, allowing her to believe that it's true since she is open and vulnerable with her emotions. Kylo has always wanted Rey on his side and he feels like the only way to do it is to push her over the age and betray her feelings via her rage/anger.

Finn comes back into the story in the end and does big things. I would never sideline him.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man,

The first half of the TFA art book is fucking craaaazy

9781419717802.IN02.jpg

9781419717802.IN04.jpg

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I can see that happening, and it would make a lot of sense for the story. However I really really hope that doesn't happen because we pretty much got that in EP8 and everybody was separated. I hope everybody is in this film, and the big three are together and have a huge amount of screentime, the reverse of OT, we get the gang together in the end rather than the beginning.

Don't fret, I'm talking about a split moment, maybe toward the end of the movie, maybe in the last 10 or 15 min, Rey and Finn go separate ways to get the job done. Kylo lies to Rey, tells her he knows that Finn is dead, he ordered the attack for his betrayal to the FO. He is manipulating Rey, allowing her to believe that it's true since she is open and vulnerable with her emotions. Kylo has always wanted Rey on his side and he feels like the only way to do it is to push her over the age and betray her feelings via her rage/anger.

Finn comes back into the story in the end and does big things. I would never sideline him.

Final act.

Rey v. Kylo.

Finn v. Hux.

Make it happen.

Oh man,

The first half of the TFA art book is fucking craaaazy

9781419717802.IN02.jpg

9781419717802.IN04.jpg

Oh, JJ...

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
At some point I wonder that if EA hadn't absolutely bungled the license, the "angry, loud internet commenter" crowd would be less inclined to take that frustration out on the movies.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Agreed. It was something that always bugged me about TFA, even if there are some incredible visuals still in that film
Oh yeah, it's a pretty film. Just kind of a bummer how it set the tone for the era as a whole. Like, TLJ does do some really cool visually distinct stuff, but it still had to look in line with what was established. Though I still have hope Episode 9 surprises in this regard.

(Meanwhile I'm also asking for more old alien species in the films, especially prequel era ones. Oops.)

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh yeah, it's a pretty film. Just kind of a bummer how it set the tone for the era as a whole. Like, TLJ does do some really cool visually distinct stuff, but it still had to look in line with what was established. Though I still have hope Episode 9 surprises in this regard.

(Meanwhile I'm also asking for more old alien species in the films, especially prequel era ones. Oops.)
BossAttack close your eyes

Canto Bight is one of the most visually creative and striking pieces of creative art in SW.

That said yeah I do wish there were more creatively striking staples in the ST.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish this kind of color and vibrance made it into TFA. I think JJ made a bad call in keeping things so familiar, visually.
Most definitely.

If anything, I don't think there would've been as much qualms over how much the narrative echoed ANH if the visual designs were more drastic and distinct in the final product. And despite growing to admiring TFA more and more, it's that aspect that really hinders it for me.

On the other hand, easily some of the most dynamic cinematography in the entire saga along with TLJ.
The funniest recurring gag throughout the entire book was apparently how him and the art department couldn't settle on Kylo's look and it took them forever to land on what we got. Even funnier is how the ones that were turned down ended up getting reused in different ways (one design got turned into one of the Rathar sequence gang designs, the other got turned into one of the SW Rebels inquisitors).

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
BossAttack close your eyes

Canto Bight is one of the most visually creative and striking pieces of creative art in SW.

That said yeah I do wish there were more creatively striking staples in the ST.

Definitely what I was thinking of. Crait too of course.

Kylo vs Finn and Rey
TLJ throne room

Include gorgeous scenes.

Unleash the gifs/ stills

These were great too, yeah.

I guess what I've been wanting the most is more visually distinct space scenes. Solo was good stuff in that regard!

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

I guess what I've been wanting the most is more visually distinct space scenes. Solo was good stuff in that regard!
I thought the bomber sequence in TLJ looked great.

The shape of the bombers and the flat surface of the star destroyer etc.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Most definitely.

If anything, I don't think there would've been as much qualms over how much the narrative echoed ANH if the visual designs were more drastic and distinct in the final product. And despite growing to admiring TFA more and more, it's that aspect that really hinders it for me.

On the other hand, easily some of the most dynamic cinematography in the entire saga along with TLJ.

The funniest recurring gag throughout the entire book was apparently how him and the art department couldn't settle on Kylo's look and it took them forever to land on what we got. Even funnier is how the ones that were turned down ended up getting reused in different ways (one design got turned into one of the Rathar sequence gang designs, the other got turned into one of the SW Rebels inquisitors).

Yup agreed. And Crait is among the very best in this category. Maybe the most striking visual piece in all of SW.
I thought the bomber sequence in TLJ looked great.

The shape of the bombers and the flat surface of the star destroyer etc.
Absolutely. The bombers are my favorite design out of the ST so far and they were utilized beautifully in TLJ.

Oct 28, 2017

Or, the Knights of Ren and Kylo slaughter Rey's new students. Final battle on Mustafar where there's maybe a lot of dark side energy

Status
Not open for further replies.