• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Or, the Knights of Ren and Kylo slaughter Rey's new students
Nahhhh that'd be a retread of what was done in the previous two films (Luke's arc of losing his students to Kylo was central in TFA and TLJ). I'm not too sure on if Rey will actually be training/have students at this point in time.
Rey is not going to have any students.
I think she will either at the end of the film or it will be heavily implied that it will happen in the future.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rey will lead the Knights of Ren by the end because it turns out they're actually pretty good peeps who got fed up with Snoke and Kylo's drama.

Lock it in and pack it up.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I thought the bomber sequence in TLJ looked great.

The shape of the bombers and the flat surface of the star destroyer etc.

You're right, it did look great!

But I also can't help but feel this is one of those scenes that's held back by TFA's direction. Like, it all still feels very original trilogy era to me.

But hey, I'm sure I'll get what I want from the future non-skywalker saga films.

Oct 28, 2017
The bomber setpiece was masterful in its ability to create tension and a sense of desperation on the part of the Resistance. You really felt the weight of their losses, there was a grit and heaviness to it that hasn't been in other SW movies, even Rogue One didn't elicit that same feeling in me.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
The bomber setpiece was masterful in its ability to create tension and a sense of desperation on the part of the Resistance. You really felt the weight of their losses, there was a grit and heaviness to it that hasn't been in other SW movies, even Rogue One didn't illicit that same feeling in me.
Tbh. Even Solo portrayed that better than Rogue One.

In terms of "grit and heaviness".

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The bomber setpiece was masterful in its ability to create tension and a sense of desperation on the part of the Resistance. You really felt the weight of their losses, there was a grit and heaviness to it that hasn't been in other SW movies, even Rogue One didn't elicit that same feeling in me.
It does a really good job at showing you just how these losses actually matter.

You actually get attached to the Resistance fighters, so when they die, it actually feels like real characters died and not just Resistance Fighter Number 32. Then you have those shots of the UI showing all the bombers blinking out of existence and how many there's left and then Leia's distrust and exhausted to all the death.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna say I read that D&D was gonna start working on Star Wars when they were done with Game of Thrones, so, that means that should either already have started or they will any second now. I can't imagine there's all that much work left, if any at all, when the show comes out in 3 and a half months.

Also, I said earlier in the thread that if they do do make KOTOR movies that I hope that they feel way older than anything we've seen in Star Wars. I've not played the games but from what I've seen of them, they still feel like they could take place in current era Star Wars. Like, I'd want it to be way more fantasy than sci-fi with people riding space horses and shit.

[edit]

I just saw this...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/breaking-ea-has-canceled-its-open-world-star-wars-game.93732/

Fuck me, man. Disney fucked up so bad going with EA.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanna say I read that D&D was gonna start working on Star Wars when they were done with Game of Thrones, so, that means that should either already have started or they will any second now. I can't imagine there's all that much work left, if any at all, when the show comes out in 3 and a half months.

Also, I said earlier in the thread that if they do do make KOTOR movies that I hope that they feel way older than anything we've seen in Star Wars. I've not played the games but from what I've seen of them, they still feel like they could take place in current era Star Wars. Like, I'd want it to be way more fantasy than sci-fi with people riding space horses and shit.
Thank you.

It's preposterous how the stuff portrayed in the games and comics in relation to that time period (even if mostly non-canon) just looks either uninspired or too whacky. Like, I'm apparently supposed to look at this image and think this is supposed to be thousands of years before the movies.

swtor-intro-1.jpg

This is pretty much just an amalgamation of the prequels and sequels.

I really hope Disney/LF by some miracle had clause in the original deal that enables them to back out already somehow.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Excellent point here, absolutely. I've been arguing a very similar take since the first time I saw this scene. One of the best in the entire film, no question.
It does a really good job at showing you just how these losses actually matter.

You actually get attached to the Resistance fighters, so when they die, it actually feels like real characters died and not just Resistance Fighter Number 32. Then you have those shots of the UI showing all the bombers blinking out of existence and how many there's left and then Leia's distrust and exhausted to all the death.
Yup, 100% here as well. This scene did more for me, with absolute nobodies, than the entirety of R1, which spent pretty much the entire movie leading up to huge battle setpieces.

A testament to how RJ handles tension, characters, and his ability to intertwine the plot with the action.
Are you fucking kidding me.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I have little trust in JJ, but I don't think he'll make a bad film, just a mediocre one.

I have ZERO trust in D&D. They are not good writers and basically destroyed the once amazing writing of GoT. You're talking about the people that decided Sansa needed a good raping for her character to grow.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have little trust in JJ, but I don't think he'll make a bad film, just a mediocre one.

I have ZERO trust in D&D. They are not good writers and basically destroyed the once amazing writing of GoT. You're talking about the people that decided Sansa needed a good raping for her character to grow.
It was a disgusting scene and piece of writing but they responded to the criticism by cleaning up a lot of the shock bullshit in S6 and 7. SW is a different beast and is not HBOized. I don't agree that they're bad writers who have ruined GoT, but that's a discussion for another thread. Disagree completely there with the exception of some fumbling here and there. Not at easy task to pick up the story once the writing stops and even the author takes a break because it's so fucking hard.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It was a disgusting scene and piece of writing but they responded to the criticism by cleaning up a lot of the shock bullshit in S6 and 7. SW is a different beast and is not HBOized. I don't agree that they're bad writers who have ruined GoT, but that's a discussion for another thread. Disagree completely there with the exception of some fumbling here and there. Not at easy task to pick up the story once the writing stops and even the author takes a break because it's so fucking hard.

I don't agree they redeemed themselves in the later seasons, you're talking about the season where Cercei has a nun raped by a zombie.

Every time D&D has relied on their own writing in the show it's been for the worse. Ros. The legend of Gin Alley. The Jaime & Bronn adventures in Dorne. Bad pussy. Rape, rape, rape, and a "shocking" murder.

They're bad writers that fundamentally do not understand the themes of ASOIAF believing it's boderline nihilistic and that violence is the solution to everything. Good guys only win by having the bigger stick, the complete opposite of what the books are trying to get across.

If they can't get GoT, I don't think I trust they understand what SW is about. They are shit writers.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't agree they redeemed themselves in the later seasons, you're talking about the season where Cercei has a nun raped by a zombie.

Every time D&D has relied on their own writing in the show it's been for the worse. Ros. The legend of Gin Alley. The Jaime & Bronn adventures in Dorne. Bad pussy. Rape, rape, rape, and a "shocking" murder.

They're bad writers that fundamentally do not understand the themes of ASOIAF believing it's boderline nihilistic and that violence is the solution to everything. Good guys only win by having the bigger stick, the complete opposite of what the books are trying to get across.

If they can't get GoT, I don't think I trust they understand what SW is about. They are shit writers.
What, I don't remember that. I remember her being tortured, off screen for the most part. EDIT, just watched the scene I think you're talking about and it's literally just Cersei walking away while the zombie is standing over her and she screams. There's no implied rape in that scene. Unless you're referring to something else

There are issues with the show, I'm not arguing against that. But I don't recall there being many instances of overly gratuitous rape or violence in S6 or 7, and clearly less than previous seasons.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I became more impressed with D&D as writers after reading the books because it becomes clear that starting with season 2, huge amounts of the show weren't in the book. The broad strokes are there but a ton of stuff is shuffled around to the point that it becomes its own thing.

That being said, they are still working off what GRRM created so I'm not sure what they can do when it's 100% new. While I know for a fact that Rain will make something great since he has already done multiple films by himself, the same can't be said about D&D.

They have enough goodwill from GoT that I'm not really worried about their projects.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I became more impressed with D&D as writers after reading the books because it becomes clear that starting with season 2, huge amounts of the show weren't in the book. The broad strokes are there but a ton of stuff is shuffled around to the point that it becomes its own thing.

That being said, they are still working off what GRRM created so I'm not sure what they can do when it's 100% new. While I know for a fact that Rain will make something great since he has already done multiple films by himself, the same can't be said about D&D.

They have enough goodwill from GoT that I'm not really worried about their projects.
Yeah, there was a lot of good shit that didn't come from the books, kinda reminds me of entire characters and arcs that came from TWD show that ended up being even better than the comic.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
True, I wonder if they've done any work on it though
They can't have done much while RJ has been toiling away on Knives Out. Maybe some concept art?

Most of their resources have gotta be tied up on the TV shows, Ep. IX, and eventually Indy 5. I wouldn't be surprised if RJ1 doesn't hit until 2022.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
They can't have done much while RJ has been toiling away on Knives Out. Maybe some concept art?

Most of their resources have gotta be tied up on the TV shows, Ep. IX, and eventually Indy 5. I wouldn't be surprised if RJ1 doesn't hit until 2022.
Hopefully it doesn't take that long. But we have shows in the meantime!

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I would be fine with a break till 2021/2022.

I have a feeling we bout to get bombarded with Disney + series.

Would not be suprised if they announced a Ahsoka series this year for D+.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Knives Out seems like it was a quick shoot, and far less complicated than Game of Thrones, so I can imagine Rian being able to do some Star Wars work while doing his movie. I did forget about Indy though, which Lucasfilm would be making next year... unless they can't do Star Wars and Indiana Jones at the same time (and do we have any reason to think that'd be the case?) then yeah I could see Rian's first movie not dropping until 2022 then either.

I think a couple years off could be good for the franchise too, if only to put some distance between the end of one story (IX) and the beginning of another.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you.

It's preposterous how the stuff portrayed in the games and comics in relation to that time period (even if mostly non-canon) just looks either uninspired or too whacky. Like, I'm apparently supposed to look at this image and think this is supposed to be thousands of years before the movies.

swtor-intro-1.jpg

This is pretty much just an amalgamation of the prequels and sequels.

I really hope Disney/LF by some miracle had clause in the original deal that enables them to back out already somehow.

It's a tough balancing act. On the one hand you need to create a scenario so divorced from the canonical timeline that creative is afforded a measure of certain freedoms without mucking up the core of the brand(hence "thousands of years before everything!"). Give them plenty of slack to divorce or marry the content based on approvals or reaction or need. Easy out if it doesn't land, but just as easy to carry through if it does.

On the flipside, you need to also make it recognizably Star Wars so the rubes will all throw down the cash because familiarity. Push for something too abstract looking that may actually logically 'feel ancient' and it may segregate the hardcore from those that are looking for lightsabers and a Vader surrogate.

Hence we get...well a compromise.

(I'm totally with you that I would like to see a fully considered universe that doesn't follow the playbook and feels pre-modern, but I get the decision why that didn't happen)

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
How difficult is it to make a SW open world or single player linear game. Like EA isn't big enough to do a microtransaction and traditional SP title.

Yet all they have to show for is freakin' two mediocre Battlefront games.

Someone take the ball away, they're not even hitting rim on freethrows

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I would be pretty happy if all open-world games went away for a long long time. Most are extremely repetitive (both within themselves and of each other) and take up tons of time and money to make in order to fill out game worlds with levels of details and menial tasks that almost nobody is going to ever fully wring out of it. Games take longer and more money than ever to make and this trend of doing everything open-world makes them longer, more expensive, and imo not as fun. Even though it was canned also, Amy Henning doing a single-player action-adventure title is exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping for out of Star Wars and it's ridiculous there hasn't been one like that since, what, Republic Commando?

edit: actually forgot Force Unleashed, which I remembered being pretty solid. But that was 10 years ago!

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
The interesting part is that, if I recall the original article on Ragtag's cancellation correctly, a lot of what led up to that game's demise wasn't so much publisher mismanagement (EA was apparently relatively hands-off with Viseral) but rather a clear lack of direction and progress on the developer's part, plus difficulties with coordinating the story aspect with Lucasfilm.

Like I'm not trying to stan for EA here, they're definitely one of the worst publishers, it's just that it appears to me that there are inherent issues with making story-focused video games in the Star Wars brand.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I would be pretty happy if all open-world games went away for a long long time. Most are extremely repetitive (both within themselves and of each other) and take up tons of time and money to make in order to fill out game worlds with levels of details and menial tasks that almost nobody is going to ever fully wring out of it. Games take longer and more money than ever to make and this trend of doing everything open-world makes them longer, more expensive, and imo not as fun. Even though it was canned also, Amy Henning doing a single-player action-adventure title is exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping for out of Star Wars and it's ridiculous there hasn't been one like that since, what, Republic Commando?

edit: actually forgot Force Unleashed, which I remembered being pretty solid. But that was 10 years ago!
Open world, linear Jedi Knight, KOTOR, I don't care. Just a good solid SP game. Pick whichever you like.

It can't be this fucking difficult to make

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Open world, linear Jedi Knight, KOTOR, I don't care. Just a good solid SP game. Pick whichever you like.

It can't be this fucking difficult to make

I mean, apparently yes, it can be:

Kotaku article said:
Back in 2017, one ex-Visceral developer described the Lucasfilm approval process to me in brutal fashion: "With Star Wars you could be talking months—potentially years… Oh, would [protagonist] Dodger really look like this? What would his weapon look like? Potentially years of that. Would he carry this? Would that really work in the Star Wars universe? With Uncharted, they can build any world they come up with, because it's their world. With Star Wars you have to have that back and forth… People think, 'Oh it must be so cool to work on Star Wars.' It actually kind of sucks."

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean

LF managed to make/greenlight four movies, TV shows, animated series, books, etc.. since the deal in 2012. Why would gaming be any different? I'm not saying it's the developer's fault, but I'm failing to understand why the medium of gaming itself would be a particular roadblock. Why is the approval process ( apparently) so vastly different in comparison to other mediums?

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I mean

LF managed to make/greenlight four movies, TV shows, animated series, books, etc.. since the deal in 2012. Why would gaming be any different? I'm not saying it's the developer's fault, but I'm failing to understand why the medium of gaming itself would be a particular roadblock. Why is the approval process ( apparently) so vastly different in comparison to other mediums?

I think it's mainly because game development is a process less suited to constant creative tinkering than a film or a show, because narrative often serves as the bedrock of a given game's design and/or gameplay (especially in regards to AAA story games like the aforementioned Ragtag.)

There's a infamous example from 1313's development where Lucas basically walked in one day and said "Okay, your protagonist is Boba Fett now" after they'd already spent a year recording lines and mo-cap on an original character; they basically had to go back in, rip out the game's internals, and make levels that would work with a jetpack-using player, when they could have been putting the game into a state that might have been more sell-able when Disney came calling.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think it's mainly because game development is a process less suited to constant creative tinkering than a film or a show, because narrative often serves as the bedrock of a given game's design and/or gameplay (especially in regards to AAA story games like the aforementioned Ragtag.)

There's a infamous example from 1313's development where Lucas basically walked in one day and said "Okay, your protagonist is Boba Fett now" after they'd already spent a year recording lines and mo-cap on an original character; they basically had to go back in, rip out the game's internals, and make levels that would work with a jetpack-using player, when they could have been putting the game into a state that might have been more sell-able when Disney came calling.
Someone said in the cancellation thread that in the dead zone (no films), between like 2005-2012ish, there were about 13 SW games released. If that's true what's the issue? Canon? Maybe they should just decanonize a section of the gaming content under another label (ie legends) if it's going to take them seven fucking years to approve two games that are essentially the same.

And luckily they don't need to answer to GL's fuckery anymore

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Lucasfilm should give developers a bit more leeway, I don't really understand this stance that everything has to be canon.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Someone said in the cancellation thread that in the dead zone (no films), between like 2005-2012ish, there were about 13 SW games released. If that's true what's the issue? Canon? Maybe they should just decanonize a section of the gaming content under another label (ie legends) if it's going to take them seven fucking years to approve two games that are essentially the same.

And luckily they don't need to answer to GL's fuckery anymore

It's because Star Wars isn't "dead" like it used to be.

Given the amount of retconning that went on in some of the games in that list (especially Force Unleashed, woof) I could imagine oversight wasn't nearly as strict back then, because the audience was smaller. Now that Star Wars is back in the public spotlight, folks at Lucasfilm are probably a lot more particular with what developers turn out in regards to aesthetic and narrative, because they likely don't want anything to be inconsistent (in any sense) with other SW works.

And as to why games weren't held up during the release of the prequel films, I think it's a combination of AAA games development changing (I mean, Rogue Leader was finished in barely more than a year) and but also the audience for games expanding tenfold between now and then (as did the urge to make games catering to the largest audience possible). I also have an inkling that Lucasfilm wants to avoid another "the Death Star plans actually were split into multiple parts, that's why we have a bunch of different books and games revolving around stealing them" scenario, in regards to the now-strict rules about canon.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's because Star Wars isn't "dead" like it used to be.

Given the amount of retconning that went on in some of the games in that list (especially Force Unleashed, woof) I could imagine oversight wasn't nearly as strict back then, because the audience was smaller. Now that Star Wars is back in the public spotlight, folks at Lucasfilm are probably a lot more particular with what developers turn out in regards to aesthetic and narrative, because they likely don't want anything to be inconsistent (in any sense) with other SW works.

And as to why games weren't held up during the release of the prequel films, I think it's a combination of AAA games development changing (I mean, Rogue Leader was finished in barely more than a year) and but also the audience for games expanding tenfold between now and then (as did the urge to make games catering to the largest audience possible). I also have an inkling that Lucasfilm wants to avoid another "the Death Star plans actually were split into multiple parts, that's why we have a bunch of different books and games revolving around stealing them" scenario, in regards to the now-strict rules about canon.
Like I said, if the process is so restrictive you were only able to pull off essentially one game in seven years, just call it fucking legends and let people do what they want. If this is their canonical approval process, it sucks.

That output is absolutely inexcusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.