• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
finally got General Veers

TQD6yPR.jpg

SunnyD

Dec 3, 2017
Man, lurking on the theforce.net boards has really become a masochistic exercise at this point. The TLJ hate circlejerk is strong there. I literally see people saying that Rey doesn't have a "story" if she doesn't have a family backstory like Kylo. People STILL expect her to be related to someone special. It's almost like the last film went completely over their heads. And their idea of interesting "story" is just so unimaginative. I know I'm doing this to myself but a lot of the fandom just baffles me.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Man, lurking on the theforce.net boards has really become a masochistic exercise at this point. The TLJ hate circlejerk is strong there. I literally see people saying that Rey doesn't have a "story" if she doesn't have a family backstory like Kylo. People STILL expect her to be related to someone special. It's almost like the last film went completely over their heads. And their idea of interesting "story" is just so unimaginative. I know I'm doing this to myself but a lot of the fandom just baffles me.
Which is why fan videos usually suck.

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to Alphabet Squadron. Twilight Company is one of the better new canon books so this being a trilogy has a lot of potential.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
People STILL expect her to be related to someone special.

I often find this amusing cause as you pointed out it's like they have very selective memory on the last movie or even the other movies.

Heck it's not Anakin was related Darth revan or Lando was related to captain panaka but with their logic those characters don't have a "story"

I'm going to guess their ideas of "story" is Dbz levels of bullshit with no emotions nuance? Perhaps they just want the person to state things ala "from my point of view the Jedi are evil!"?

Oct 28, 2017

Tell me about it. I've been over there too to check out that rumor thread and have also posted in the Daisey Ridley (Rey) thread and like you say the hate there is is serious

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I was doing some cleaning when I found this baby:

images

Still in plastic wrapping! I had bought it just before a move and thought it had gotten lost! Never replaced it because it's pretty large and costly and couldn't justify it at the time so I'm pretty stoked!

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Destiny, swirling Force, and shocking family revelations has become all of Star Wars to some fans. I feel like Snoke's explanation of "darkness rises and light to meet it" should be enough to satisfy those people and is an interesting enough dynamic between the two characters but it isn't working for them. I think people are just really mad that Luke didn't have any kids so they are taking that anger out on Rey lol.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Freed is really great, so it ought to be.

I HAVE A NEED FOR FREED

Twilight Company is still my favourite contribution to new canon books.
I thought Twilight Company was a fine book but, like other Star Wars EU books, it just didn't feel all that consequential. I also wish it had a better cast of characters since none of them were all that memorial. The thing that I liked the most about the book, however, was the tonally dark and bleak it was. This and The Last Jedi are the darkest things I've seen from Star Wars.

I hope for Alphabet Squadron that it has a better cast of characters and it being a trilogy, I hope it feels like "consequential". I'm not really sure I can quantify what the latter would look like for a Star Wars EU book but hopefully I feel like it while reading it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney is making a ton of money with live-action versions of their films. Why not do the reverse with Star Wars?

Because doing the reverse also means the reverse of "a ton of money." There is a strong animation age ghetto in the Western world regarding animated features. Anything that isn't a family-friendly childrens film underperforms. Spider-Man is the most popular superhero in the world and Spider-Verse is one of the most acclaimed animated films ever made, and it still had to struggle and cling its way to $330 million (for comparison, mega flop Solo grossed $390 million). There's no market for it. There are two hugely acclaimed and beloved animated Star Wars TV shows that half the fanbase refuses to watch because they think they're for kids.

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
Resistance was pretty boring this week, just like last week. The show so far is basically the worst of Rebels with none of the good stuff.

iosefe

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines
I feel like Resistance echos the progress of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 1, where they had to run the wheels a bit before The winter Soldier, setting up the characters and a status quo. Except TFA is already out

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So I really dislike new Star Wars, TFA through TLJ. However, I just watched Solo and it moved squarely into my third favorite SW movie of all time. I feel like it captured the spirit of the original series to a t. A lot of varied locations, great action, and surprisingly it was really funny. And most important, it was extremely fun.

The only bad marks it gets is for two characters . . . the pilot with 4 arms who died early in the movie, and that stupid robot.

I kind of regret not seeing this in theatres . . . The Kessel Run part would be worth the price of admission alone. Why didn't this do well? I think it's going to be re-evaluated critically in a few years.

Edit: to add, I think the thing I like about it the most is that it feels so confident in itself. It just keeps moving forwards, no lulls. I'm actually shocked after hearing about how troubled it's production was.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't this do well? I think it's going to be re-evaluated critically in a few years.

Multiple reasons:

-Came out way too soon after TLJ
-Summer was owned by Infinity War
-many people just didn't care about having a Han prequel, especially China which has no nostalgia for the OT (Solo bombed terribly there)
-many people did not want a Han who wasn't played by Harrison Ford
-bad PR due to Lord and Miller being tossed out and all the reshoots
-bland advertising

It really is a fun movie.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Multiple reasons:

-Came out way too soon after TLJ
-Summer was owned by Infinity War
-many people just didn't care about having a Han prequel, especially China which has no nostalgia for the OT (Solo bombed terribly there)
-many people did not want a Han who wasn't played by Harrison Ford
-bad PR due to Lord and Miller being tossed out and all the reshoots
-bland advertising

It really is a fun movie.
-It couldn't recover from TLJ's financial collapse

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how less than a decade ago it looked like the only future of Star Wars on screen in either film or tv once Clone Wars wrapped up was Star Wars Detours.

It's nice to be so so spoiled as a fanbase now. If anyone tries to claim that right now is not the best time ever to be a Star Wars fan in the past 40 years they are insane.

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
The title announcement will be this week hopefully. If not this week, then the film has no title and Star Wars is dead.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
What, I don't remember that. I remember her being tortured, off screen for the most part. EDIT, just watched the scene I think you're talking about and it's literally just Cersei walking away while the zombie is standing over her and she screams. There's no implied rape in that scene. Unless you're referring to something else

There are issues with the show, I'm not arguing against that. But I don't recall there being many instances of overly gratuitous rape or violence in S6 or 7, and clearly less than previous seasons.

Bit late on this one, but there is implied rape with the scene. She talks about how the Mountain will be "her GOD now" whilst referencing her past sexual exploits and how she no longer has to feel ashamed of them. A great many of people have taken the scene to imply that the Mountain is sexually violating her as part of her torture as punishment for her perceived "innocence" and "piety."

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got some dope Star Wars posters to go with the new lightsaber I bought, so enjoy these pics of my current living room setup (still a WIP as I only recently moved here):

C9wG0Qs.jpg

DelzNaj.jpg

PjkdJFI.jpg

Also, that stand for the lightsaber is garbage and waste of money. I've already ordered a super cool new stand and am just waiting for it to be delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.