• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Me and about 10 other friends marathoned all the SW movies chronologically that month a week before we saw TFA

That was a great albeit excruciating day
I consume SO much Star Wars shit leading up to TFA/TLJ. October 2019 is gonna be me reading as many Star Wars books, re-watching all the movies like twice over and just gobbling up as much Star Wars stuff until December.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You guys are trying to get hyped over a year out damn you.

I have a strict less than one year rule

that I've never followed

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me wonder if Rian's trilogy will have any new Lightsaber designs. Feels like you need to walk a very fine line to not make them seem goofy, like, I think Kylo's feels like it fits and isn't some Lightsaber wipe type shit.

Also, I just remembered this:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still bummed this bit didn't make it into the film or was never released as a deleted scene.

I wonder what the context for that was or where it fit into the film.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I remember how we at the office stopped working the whole day to press f5, then got scarred when our boss looked into the offices, yelled why nobody was working and then we told him, he sat down and waited with us

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on Resistance, this show continues to have really cool designs for minor characters.
I like this droid and turtle person's design.
6Uf4AMp.jpg

tq7QCI2.jpg

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Randomly watching ROTS deleted scenes, I really think the movie could do with an extended cut just to reinstate the Padmé/Rebellion subplot. It's a shame George took the politics criticism to heart and pretty much excised it from ROTS. It's the most important of the prequels, setting up the Rebellion seems pretty damn pivotal, no? Especially moreso now with (Young) Mon Mothma and Bail in Rogue One. They're not 10/10 scenes, but they're better than some of the other ones that remain in the movie.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I had to backseat direct ROTS, my biggest change would be Anakin just going all-in on his disillusionment/contempt for the Jedi due to his own ideals, to the point of flipping Padme off entirely from his radar way before Mustafar.

Would've made his turn more dastardly + spared us more Lucas' romance writing.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to backseat direct ROTS, my biggest change would be Anakin just going all-in on his disillusionment/contempt for the Jedi due to his own ideals, to the point of flipping Padme off entirely from his radar way before Mustafar.

Would've made his turn more dastardly + spared us more Lucas' romance writing.

They should have definitely leaned far more into Anakin's paranoia. Would make more sense when he bellows "LIAR!" at Padmé on Mustafar. Imagine Sidious managing to convince him that a group of Senators were in league with the Jedi to overthrow the Republic.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should have definitely leaned far more into Anakin's paranoia. Would make more sense when he bellows "LIAR!" at Padmé on Mustafar. Imagine Sidious managing to convince him that a group of Senators were in league with the Jedi to overthrow the Republic.
One interesting thing I thought of just now is in addition to the deterioration of their romance, what about an ongoing Anakin vs. Padme dynamic as well on an ideological sense?

Although that probably only works better if Lucas had maintained Padme's more stern attitude from Ep I.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Randomly watching ROTS deleted scenes, I really think the movie could do with an extended cut just to reinstate the Padmé/Rebellion subplot. It's a shame George took the politics criticism to heart and pretty much excised it from ROTS. It's the most important of the prequels, setting up the Rebellion seems pretty damn pivotal, no? Especially moreso now with (Young) Mon Mothma and Bail in Rogue One. They're not 10/10 scenes, but they're better than some of the other ones that remain in the movie.

I love that theres a Mon Calamari... This group is also in Clone Wars, right? There were a few Senate-centered Episodes

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because of the discussion we had today, I went through a marathon of all the TFA marketing material I could find.

I need help.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
This is a safe place. You're among friends.

I watched every trailer and teaser from the last couple of years just the other day.

Oct 28, 2017
England
I love that theres a Mon Calamari... This group is also in Clone Wars, right? There were a few Senate-centered Episodes

Whilst there were many senate based episodes, out of that group only Bail and Mon Mothma appeared in them, with TCW preferring to mostly create new characters for use in those episodes (although the Mon Calamari senator did appear in the Mon Cala-based arc, but had nothing to do with any organised opposition to Palpatine).

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i still kinda choke up when i see the force awakens trailer and han is like "it's true, all of it" then then music swells, the falcon goes into lightspeed then cuts to black and it shows "this christmas". Mannnnnn, what a time.

And of course John Boyega's reaction was fucking priceless lmao

Can't wait for that IX teaser trailer.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I hope its ok to ask this here, but in talking about EP7 hype I'm really curious what you all think about the hype + performance leading into EP9. I'm a little worried that because EP8 is so divisive online (I still see negative comments on anything related to star wars on the wider youtube) that it will lower peoples excitement of whatever EP9 will bring.

Will it just take a super hype trailer? will it take the creative team to remove what some people don't like in EP8? Will none of it matter much at all like how EP1 seemed like the end of star wars?

I'm one of those strange people that basically has enjoyed all star wars media I've ever seen and how badly EP8 is considered and the low performance of Solo has me wondering what the future will bring.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think even the ep 8 haters will come out hyped cause it's JJ coming back and I imagine the way Disney will market the film as "the end of the saga", no matter what kind of SW fan you are, there will be considerable hype to go around.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
If JJ undoes the creative decisions made in VIII, then I think im done with franchise.

I don't think that will happen tho.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Will it just take a super hype trailer?
John Williams cue. Narration by Mark Hamill. The Knights of Ren. Jedi doing Jedi things. "This Christmas... The Conclusion to the Skywalker Saga"

Star Wars fans are fickle fucks. They will be hype no matter what. General audiences I have no idea about. I hear all sorts of mixed things about the reception to TLJ beyond the sphere of obsessed Internet dorks. Toy sales are down. Box office and Blu ray sales are down as well, but in line with drops from previous middle entries. The Cinemascore was very high. Solo did terribly, and nobody has really nailed down why. Anecdotally, I saw it opening night in an audience full of kids and families, and everyone adored it. Everyone I know liked it. Other people say everyone they know hated it.

I think JJ's imperative is to make it a crowd-pleaser. I think he can do it without tearing up Johnson's work. All it takes is some heavy-handed prequel references and worldbuilding to shut the nerds up. Wider audiences are a tougher nut to crack, and I'm not even sure that nut needs to be cracked. At the end of the day, TLJ made $1.3 billion.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I think even the ep 8 haters will come out hyped cause it's JJ coming back and I imagine the way Disney will market the film as "the end of the saga", no matter what kind of SW fan you are, there will be considerable hype to go around.

Thats what im thinking too, I mean as much as EP1 was disliked people still came out for EP2 and EP3 (Myself included!)

If JJ undoes the creative decisions made in VIII, then I think im done with franchise.

I dont think I can ever be done with Star Wars but I will be somewhat let down... even if I would understand why they would do it.

John Williams cue. Narration by Mark Hamill. The Knights of Ren. Jedi doing Jedi things. "This Christmas... The Conclusion to the Skywalker Saga"

Star Wars fans are fickle fucks. They will be hype no matter what. General audiences I have no idea about. I hear all sorts of mixed things about the reception to TLJ beyond the sphere of obsessed Internet dorks. Toy sales are down. Box office and Blu ray sales are down as well, but in line with drops from previous middle entries. The Cinemascore was very high. Solo did terribly, and nobody has really nailed down why. Anecdotally, I saw it opening night in an audience full of kids and families, and everyone adored it. Everyone I know liked it. Other people say everyone they know hated it.

I think JJ's imperative is to make it a crowd-pleaser. I think he can do it without tearing up Johnson's work. All it takes is some heavy-handed prequel references and worldbuilding to shut the nerds up. Wider audiences are a tougher nut to crack, and I'm not even sure that nut needs to be cracked. At the end of the day, TLJ made $1.3 billion.

I think most big fandoms are fickle from what I have seen lol. I think one thing EP7 did really well before and after it came out is general audiences were indeed hype to see it, I know that's mostly because it was Star Wars coming back and EP7 did have its backlash (that's seemingly forgotten now funny enough) when it came out but I think the overall feeling from GA was positive more positive that EP8 at least.

Toy sales have been doing down since RO if I recall? Its been a glut of stuff that's out there probably isn't helping much. The box office being 1.3Billion but still being down is funny to think about... I often feel that's the saving grace of how GA must feel about the movie, I thought I recall reading the Blu-ray sales were high for EP8?.

Everyone I know that's seen Solo really enjoyed it (that is they are not hardcore SW fans) and it's not surprising its a fun film I really do feel if it was coming this Dec it would be doing much much better than it did.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

I really don't think this will happen, especially with something like Rey's parents. All of that had a two movie arc and I can't imagine JJ will want to spend another movie revisiting that.

I do think we're gonna get a lot of Luke being more OT-style which some will feel is him going against Rian since people seem to forget that that's what he was at the end of TLJ.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

I know you say you don't think it will happen, but still, there's literally never been any reason to believe this will or would happen, and it's always been a super absurd belief to me. So many TLJ fans preemptively angry at JJ because...?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I know you say you don't think it will happen, but still, there's literally never been any reason to believe this will or would happen, and it's always been a super absurd belief to me. So many TLJ fans preemptively angry at JJ because...?
I was responding to the above post about winning back the "fans" by changing narrative decisions made in VIII. That seems dumb to me and unnecessary.

TFA is in my top 4 SW movies. So I am excited for JJ return.

might have misread his post

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I mostly asked because I see so many negative swipes in comments on star wars content still, just hope people move on from it.

Im not angry at Jj at all in fact I really like him and TFA I'm just worried about the pressure on the dude.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

The numbers are too high.

Fans seem to really like the blue title for IX, I wonder what they'll actually go for. The red motif for TLJ was really beautiful in the actual movie and marketing, I'd hope they do something similar for IX.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The numbers are too high.

Fans seem to really like the blue title for IX, I wonder what they'll actually go for. The red motif for TLJ was really beautiful in the actual movie and marketing, I'd hope they do something similar for IX.

They're gonna make it plain white. Calling it now

ku-xlarge.jpg

(Obviously not that logo, but you know what I mean)

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today's episode of Resistance was probably the most mature yet. Very character focused and not much Kaz. Only problem was they really strung out Jarek and Marcus talking around what caused their split.

Oct 28, 2017
England
Good episode of Resistance this week. Decently mature, and surprisingly tied in nicely to an episode from earlier on which now feels a lot less like filler. It was good to get some more racing in this episode, it's been lighter on it than I expected (I'm actually really surprised how restraint the show has been in introducing the other Ace pilots).

The nod to the post-Empire military disarmament act was cool, as was the appearance of the Guavian Death Gang from TFA.

Don't listen to anything that peddler of bullshit and lies says.

Boris probably thinks Lucas is still in charge of Lucasfilm.

If Boris Johnson were a politician in Star Wars he'd of gone over to the FO instantly, eager to relive the 'glory days' of the Empire.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
lol yeah like most of the country I got no faith in anything Boris sputters! Was rather amused to see this making headlines on various Star Wars sites though

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Today at work a Christmas song came on and for a fraction of a second I thought, "STAR WARS TIME" and then I got sad.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Wife and I are in the hospital, we're gonna have our first baby. Wearing one of my favorite t shirts. It's chewing sitting at the campfire bout to eat a porg while the porg looks on. Kiddo will be well aquatinted right off the bat lmao. Bout to be a proud star war papa ;D

Edit it's this image :D on the shirt

midnight-snack-star-wars-teeturtle_800x.jpg

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wife and I are in the hospital, we're gonna have our first baby. Wearing one of my favorite t shirts. It's chewing sitting at the campfire bout to eat a porg while the porg looks on. Kiddo will be well aquatinted right off the bat lmao. Bout to be a proud star war papa ;D

Congrats man! Hope everything goes OK.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL

Congrats! May the Force be with all of you!

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Wish you and your wife all the luck in the world with the kid :) Make sure to film it when it gets revealed that Darth Vader is Lukes father

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

Wow, man! Congrats!

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Man

Somebody really started the countdown at 390 days lmao. Come on let's get under a year at least. My heart cannot take the wait.

Congrats man. Wishing your family the best. :) Great t-shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.