• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Come now, Nolan is not some exposition horse. He made The Prestige.

Think Nolan has gotten a bad rap because of Inception, which is weird since heist movies always involve exposition, it's like a defining feature of all heist films. The audience has to know the rules, the plan etc.

Plus his last movie was Dunkirk for chrissake. It was basically a silent picture

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Think Nolan has gotten a bad rap because of Inception, which is weird since heist movies always involve exposition, it's like a defining feature of all heist films. The audience has to know the rules, the plan etc.

Plus his last movie was Dunkirk for chrissake. It was basically a silent picture

Yep, he also gets dragged for that one scene in Interstellar where Brandt talks about love. But, the whole point is that it's cringey and desperate because she just wants to see her husband.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, he also gets dragged for that one scene in Interstellar where Brandt talks about love. But, the whole point is that it's cringey and desperate because she just wants to see her husband.
I don't have an issue with that scene but I also don't think it's supposed to be cringey. It's supposed to not make sense logically and we're supposed to question what she's saying, especially since we know her to be very logical and calculating up until this point. She's also later proved right as we see from the tesseract scene.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have an issue with that scene but I also don't think it's supposed to be cringey. It's supposed to not make sense logically and we're supposed to question what she's saying, especially since we know her to be very logical and calculating up until this point. She's also later proved right as we see from the tesseract scene.

Love, Tars. Loooove

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hows Resistance so far? Both as a show and a vehicle for telling post OT stories?

Lackluster so far. The plot isn't very interesting and the main character is incredibly annoying. Due to the location, it doesn't really tie into the main saga much and everything is fairly low key. It's much more obviously oriented towards little kids than even Rebels was.

I think we're going to have to see what happens once they pass TFA in the timeline.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Lackluster so far. The plot isn't very interesting and the main character is incredibly annoying. Due to the location, it doesn't really tie into the main saga much and everything is fairly low key. It's much more obviously oriented towards little kids than even Rebels was.

I think we're going to have to see what happens once they pass TFA in the timeline.
Incredibly dissapointing. Makes the wait for the new saga stuff even harder. At least we're getting Clone Wars back and The Mandalorian. But with the amount of SW stuff coming out the stuff I really enjoy is too sparse for my liking.

Maybe Ill check out the comics instead for the time being.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hows Resistance so far? Both as a show and a vehicle for telling post OT stories?
I think Resistance is very enjoyable. It's an explosion of color, very pleasant to look at, lots of interesting details in the backgrounds, aliens, droids, etc. to look at. Kaz the main character is very likeable and earnest.

It's more lighthearted fare for sure, but to me that is extremely welcome. It's right up my alley.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Also, keep in mind that unlike Rebels, Resistance is doing a 20+ episode 1st season, so yeah; story-wise, it's been a bit of a slow burn. Though, the next episode does appear to be getting back to the central plot:

And mark me down as someone who also enjoys the vibes and atmosphere this show gives off.

Oct 28, 2017
England

As a show it's quite enjoyable. Some of the slapstick humour can be childish, and the main character is a large source of that humour. However, as the series goes on and he gradually moves on from his previously sheltered lifestyle (he grew up in luxury in the Core Worlds, and was a pilot with the New Republic, both thanks to his father - a Senator in the New Republic) to becoming more mature and more aware. He makes a bumbling mistake in The High Tower, but uses the knowledge gained their to protect some runaways in The Children of Tehar. There is some comedic misadventures in related to a substance called 'Hyperfuel' in Fuel For The Fire, but that feeds his (and our) knowledge of the substance in The Platform Classic. It's all tying together rather well.

As a for post-OT platform, this flesh out the world of the ST considerably. The First Order are treated with suspicion by most people, being seen mostly as some odd relic of a bygone war on the fringes of the galaxy, rather than some looming immediate threat. The Resistance isn't known to most people (the lead himself only knows of it because of his father being a Senator), and not well thought of by those who do. There are references abound, such as characters making references to the post-Empire military disarmament from the Aftermath trilogy, or meeting a winner of the Five Sabers race from Bloodlines. A Nemoidian pilots a ship type used by the Trade Federation, and the Guavian Death Gang from TFA make a brief appearance. Alien species from all trilogies show up in both background and supporting roles.

Incredibly dissapointing. Makes the wait for the new saga stuff even harder. At least we're getting Clone Wars back and The Mandalorian. But with the amount of SW stuff coming out the stuff I really enjoy is too sparse for my liking.

Maybe Ill check out the comics instead for the time being.

At least wait for more than one persons input before announcing yourself "incredibly [disappointed]". It looks like you were less in search of a consensus of opinion, and more after confirmation bias.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
As a show it's quite enjoyable. Some of the slapstick humour can be childish, and the main character is a large source of that humour. However, as the series goes on and he gradually moves on from his previously sheltered lifestyle (he grew up in luxury in the Core Worlds, and was a pilot with the New Republic, both thanks to his father - a Senator in the New Republic) to becoming more mature and more aware. He makes a bumbling mistake in The High Tower, but uses the knowledge gained their to protect some runaways in The Children of Tehar. There is some comedic misadventures in related to a substance called 'Hyperfuel' in Fuel For The Fire, but that feeds his (and our) knowledge of the substance in The Platform Classic. It's all tying together rather well.

As a for post-OT platform, this flesh out the world of the ST considerably. The First Order are treated with suspicion by most people, being seen mostly as some odd relic of a bygone war on the fringes of the galaxy, rather than some looming immediate threat. The Resistance isn't known to most people (the lead himself only knows of it because of his father being a Senator), and not well thought of by those who do. There are references abound, such as characters making references to the post-Empire military disarmament from the Aftermath trilogy, or meeting a winner of the Five Sabers race from Bloodlines. A Nemoidian pilots a ship type used by the Trade Federation, and the Guavian Death Gang from TFA make a brief appearance. Alien species from all trilogies show up in both background and supporting roles.

At least wait for more than one persons input before announcing yourself "incredibly [disappointed]". It looks like you were less in search of a consensus of opinion, and more after confirmation bias.
Im incredibly dissapointed that the show doesn't sound at all appealing to my tastes. I don't really see why that's a problem.

Resistance was already going to be an uphill battle to get me interested after seeing its visuals and its setting as I've personally never realled cared or been interested in the resistance as a concept. So hearing that its also more kid friendly than rebels, (which I didn't really like up until it got into darker themes and delved into the force) this show does not sound like its for me.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That's all the Russos are good at. I single out those two directors not simply for their style but ethos of filmmaking even in a major blockbuster. Nolan and V don't give two fucking licks about cool, long ass fight scenes. They only care about character and themes, their action scenes used to further reveal these two characteristics. Who gives a shit how awesomely choreographed the second Bane fight is, the point is Batman conquering his fears or rather learning to live with them again.

Russos just throw action slop around to rouse the nerd fanbase, but they rarely have a larger point. Rian understood this with TLJ, fuck your fanservice, it's about the characters. I want a character and theme focused director for Star Wars not Michael Bay or whoever else.

no idea how you arrived at that conclusion, I feel like Nolan cares very much about making cool-looking setpieces (it's literally one of his defining traits as a filmmaker!) just as the Russos care about character and theme, especially when it's so clearly reflected in their movies (Civil War isn't driven by character or theme?!). But I also remember you saying before about how you don't think Infinity War is even a real movie, so I doubt I'll be persuading you otherwise... :lol

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
England
Im incredibly dissapointed that the show doesn't sound at all appealing to my tastes. I don't really see why that's a problem.

Resistance was already going to be an uphill battle to get me interested after seeing its visuals and its setting as I've personally never realled cared or been interested in the resistance as a concept. So hearing that its also more kid friendly than rebels, (which I didn't really like up until it got into darker themes and delved into the force) this show does not sound like its for me.

But you only had one persons input when you made that post. I was questioning why you'd come into this thread to canvas opinions, to only read input of one person before declaring yourself "incredibly disappointed", not but half an hour after your initial question.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the frustration and disappointment with Resistance is pretty widespread across online Star Wars communities and multiple people in this thread have criticized it within the last page. I'm not saying it's a consensus, but it's fair to use that as a grounds for not embracing 20 episodes of an animated show that doesn't sound appealing to you.

For my part, I'm willing to keep giving it a chance because the episodes are short and it seems like it might start picking up steam soon, but the tone is still too light and silly, far more than Rebels ever was, which raises doubts that the show will ever get much more mature.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
But you only had one persons input when you made that post. I was questioning why you'd come into this thread to canvas opinions, to only read input of one person before declaring yourself "incredibly disappointed", not but half an hour after your initial question.
Because its the input of a long time SW poster that I happen to trust which also confirmed my suspicions going into the show in the first place?

Im not into even more kid friendly, forceless Star Wars and I wish something like Clone Wars or even late game Rebels was being offered consistently for older audiences and Im not getting that.

It also plays into a larger dissapointment that primarily revolves around a lot of the content thats been greenlit where the end result is, like I previously stated, me waiting a long time for something new that I enjoy.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Did somebody say kid-friendly?

edit: Gotta say, I'm impressed at how the Darth Vader short obscures the fine line between "he is FUCKING these soldiers up" and "oh he's just cutting their weapons and tossing them aside"

Last edited:

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to that leaked picture of Luke's double for the "Forceback" in The Force Awakens posted on the last page, I've gone down a rabbit hole of stuff cut from the film. For instance, did you know that the "Forceback" once included Snoke and a young boy?

Editor MaryAnn Brandon said:
I mean, originally, again, there were shots of – she goes into this – she touched the Lightsaber she went into this room – and then it became the room in Cloud City. Which you can still kind of see because we still kept that idea, but then she used to walk down the hall and she saw Darth Vader and Luke fighting and she saw Darth Vader cut Luke's hand off. Then she turned around and she saw Snoke – some version of Snoke – vague version of him and a little boy. And then she…so, all those images we had didn't…they just didn't have a logic that satisfied anyone enough. So it was just one of those things ongoing figuring it out. In the original original script, the original idea Larry [Kasdan] and J. J. and I guess Michael Arndt had was it was kind of like a ride through the history of Star Wars and, you know, like almost instantly we were all like, 'No'.

The boy lasted long enough to end up in the novelizations.

Some notes from another editor:

Editor Mary Jo Markey said:
John Williams re-recorded several cues because our changes were so extensive on some scenes that it just wasn't going to work to just edit them.

And one thing that JJ had an instinct about right from when he was shooting it, was the first meeting between Finn and Rey, when BB-8 recognizes Poe's jacket on Finn and Rey chases him. The writing of that changed during the hiatus and he did re-shoot it. In the first version, Finn acknowledged to Rey immediately that he was a Stormtrooper. JJ and I felt he wouldn't do this. He doesn't know who this girl is. She also just chased him down. So why is he, in that moment, going to speak the truth to her. It just turned out to be a plot turn that had resonance through the whole script, because then he has the moment where he has to confess to her that he didn't tell her the truth and it becomes this much deeper moment between them.

At one point, in the first reel (approximately the first 10 or 11 minutes) we saw Leia, we saw C3PO, we saw R2D2. It was so much more fun to kind of sprinkle that out throughout the film.

Then there's the leaked scene breakdown from the beginning of the shoot. I believe this is from before Harrison Ford got injured. The overall movie is still the same, but there are a ton of differences. The "Forceback," for example, is very different and ties into a different opening shot that you may remember from leaks in the year before the movie's release:

EXT NIGHT - 01 - SPACE - SAVANNAH • A Sword tumbles through space, crashes toward ground

EXT DAY - 189 - CASTLE - COURTYARD • Maz Kanata and Han Solo watch the horror. Maz Kanata decides to help

EXT DAY - 190 - LANDING PAD JOURNEY • Plates as required for Maz Kanata journey to Maz Kanta's Castle

EXT DAY - 192 - SAVANNAH • Reprise Hand takes sword, we reveal Naka

EXT NIGHT - 193 - SAVANNAH - PEASANT'S HOVEL • Peasant is using the sword as a firestarter

EXT DAY - 194 - SAVANNAH - PEASANT'S HOVEL • Local trader buys sword off of Naka

EXT NIGHT - 195 - SAVANNAH • Local trader already has sold the sword on

EXT NIGHT - 196 - BATTLEFIELD • A battle rages. The sword is being used.

EXT DAY - 198 - ACADEMY • Leia and Han Solo hand over Young Kylo Ren to his Uncle for training

EXT DAWN - 200 - ACADEMY • Young Kylo Ren being trained by his Uncle

INT NIGHT - 202 - ACADEMY • Bodies left behind - Young Kylo Ren is gone

EXT DAY - 203 - JAGGED TERRAIN/PALACE • Kylo Ren joins The Knights Of Ren

EXT DUSK - 204 - ACADEMY • R2-D2 upset as his master leaves

EXT NIGHT - 205 - JAGGED TERRAIN/PALACE • Kylo Ren joins The Knights Of Ren

EXT DAY - 207 - CASTLE • Reveal Maz Kanata's spectacular Castle

INT DAY - 208 - CASTLE • Maz Kanata walks the group through the Castle interiour

EXT NIGHT - 209 - CASTLE • Kylo Ren and his Knights at campfire. Maz Kanata steals sword

INT DAY - 210 - CASTLE STAIRCASE • Walking down stairs, Maz Kanata reveals she stole it.

EXT NIGHT - 211 - MOUNTAIN SIDE • Reveal Maz Kanata on Speeder, she has the sword

INT DAY - 212 - CASTLE - UNDERGROUND CHAMBER • Finn is drawn toward the object, Rey repelled by it. She bolts

And there's an entire bit in the last battle where Leia comes in with a giant ship to break open the shield around Starkiller Base, another thing that leaked out.

A note on these scene descriptions, if you follow that link above: they come from leaked documents where everything is referred to by codenames. Fans replaced the ones they knew with the actual names but left any unknown ones. Hence things like "Tunnel of Love" and "Main Street."

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
no idea how you arrived at that conclusion, I feel like Nolan cares very much about making cool-looking setpieces (it's literally one of his defining traits as a filmmaker!) just as the Russos care about character and theme, especially when it's so clearly reflected in their movies (Civil War isn't driven by character or theme?!). But I also remember you saying before about how you don't think Infinity War is even a real movie, so I doubt I'll be persuading you otherwise... :lol

Nolan's set pieces are typically "small" scale and character focused, but immensely creative. Examples: Hallway scene in Inception, Docking scene in Interstellar, Pit Crawl and Bane fight in TDKR. You can tell he doesn't care much for the big set pieces as his films often don't spend much time on them, they're just a consequence of plot. Civil War attempts to focus on the characters but abandons them in favor of set pieces. It cares more about seeing the Black Panther fight and then seeing all the heroes throw punches at each other at an airport than examining their characters. Remember, the movie starts with a debate about the responsibility of those with power to act. It ends with Iron-Man and Cap punching each other over his mom. And, of course, no one is actually hurt. Thus, much like TWS, it abandons the questions it asks in favor of pop-action.

Of course, IW is even worse as their is exactly zero character development or examination in the whole movie. Instead, we are treated to a celebratory wank as every gets their chance to punch the purple space man. Now, is that entertaining? Sure, but its also empty. Civil War is a faulty movie, but it at least attempts depth and character examination. Still, I've yet to watch a Russo movie that isn't mostly spectacle. And, that's why I don't want them touching Star Wars. Nolan knows how to balance spectacle with character and themes. And, his spectacle is often more creative using less.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
How about we just don't have either the Russo's or Nolan touch Star Wars.

Plenty of more fitting and interesting choices out there. Denis Villeneuve is a good one, Alex Garland, hell even Robert Eggers would all make better and more interesting Star Wars films than either of the two.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Alright

This is pretty cool.

Soooo

Is someone gonna make an anime opening out of these or what

Plenty of more fitting and interesting choices out there. Denis Villeneuve is a good one, Alex Garland, hell even Robert Eggers would all make better and more interesting Star Wars films than either of the two.
A bunch of Star Wars fans were already losing their minds over the mildly auteuristic approach of RJ. Could you imagine what kind of implosion these guys could do?

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of Star Wars fans were already losing their minds over the mildly auteuristic approach of RJ. Could you imagine what kind of implosion these guys could do?

I thought about mentioning it. But, honestly, sucks to be them. They'll either get over it or move on. I'd rather have amazing movies in the SW universe than more mediocre, incredibly safe stuff like TFA and Rogue One.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
He's already expressed interest. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he eventually directs one.. an obvious choice.
Out of the three I listed, he's arguably the most likely. Wouldnt be surprised if he's already talked/talking to Lucasfilm and or RJ.
I think he'll be scratching his sci-fi itch with Dune, which he wants to be "Star Wars for adults". I just can't see him wanting to do a family film and I think he'd be put off by the behind-the-scenes shenanigans with Rogue One and Solo.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alex Garland is actually more of a wildcard when it comes what kind of thing he might do with the property should he be given the chance.

On the one hand, he's written Sunshine, Never Let Me Go as well as directed Ex Machina and Annihilation.

On the other hand, this is the same dude who's written Dredd, Enslaved, and DmC: Devil May Cry.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
I think he'll be scratching his sci-fi itch with Dune, which he wants to be "Star Wars for adults". I just can't see him wanting to do a family film and I think he'd be put off by the behind-the-scenes shenanigans with Rogue One and Solo.
PG-14 Star Wars saga trilogy about the unknown regions and dark side of the force with Eggers, Villeneuve and Garland all writting and directing a film.

Dream project right there.

Alex Garland is actually more of a wildcard when it comes what kind of thing he might do with the property should he be given the chance.

On the one hand, he's written Sunshine, Never Let Me Go as well as directed Ex Machina and Annihilation.

On the other hand, this is the same dude who's written Dredd, Enslaved, and DmC: Devil May Cry.

Star Wars Dredd would be amazing

But lmao what to the last two. How is this real

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want my Battlefront war movie.

I was hoping Rogue One would scratch that itch, but it kinda blew it on that too.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
SW has sort of evolved out of being strictly "family entertainment". Sure, it's definitely that, but if you want to your focus can be on more profound and deeper components, as we saw with TLJ.

I have no doubt in my mind that the mere fact that EP8 was created piqued Villeneuve's creative interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.