• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, i forgot to comment on SW Legacy.
It is the only other comic series i have, next to those KOTOR comics.

I found it pretty good. Some interesting ideas and takes on old ideas, some old plot threads resurface here which is kinda neat (though i don't own other comics, i've read some of the other old Dark Horse comics in libraries and otherwise). In many ways, it is a retelling of the original trilogy, though with more edge, so to speak. Junkie protagonist lol.
Its weaknesses come from the old EU stuff that precedes it, and those things being strange if you aren't familiar with them. Galactic Alliance, Yuuzhan Vong invasion, that shit. Fortunately Wookieepedia exists.

Kind of ironically the sequel trilogy has the same issue, though here it is because the stuff in-between is missing rather than being kind of shit.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason every Legacy Sith has Darth Maul Tatoos and is red?
Meta, i'd assume it is just a visual shorthand for "this guy's a Sith". In-universe, i assume the Sith really like the color red and tattoos. Plus it is sort of a uniform. One Sith are a singular organization, even if they do retain the Sith's natural tendency to backstab, a uniform exists to create a sense of unity and curbs worst of the backstabbiness.

Some musing on the uniform and titles and stuff:
I think the Darth Bane trilogy had the Brotherhood of Darkness sect of the Sith not to use the Darth title because it caused fragmentation among the Sith. They may have had a point, for Darth Bane took the title Darth and effectively destroyed the Brotherhood. Then again, SWTOR depicts the Sith Empire being relatively unified despite the Sith running around with Darth titles. But the smarter Sith there did believe in certain ideals.
Kinda hope new canon would study the ancient Sith at some point, and do it smartly.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Meta, i'd assume it is just a visual shorthand for "this guy's a Sith". In-universe, i assume the Sith really like the color red and tattoos. Plus it is sort of a uniform. One Sith are a singular organization, even if they do retain the Sith's natural tendency to backstab, a uniform exists to create a sense of unity and curbs worst of the backstabbiness.

Some musing on the uniform and titles and stuff:
I think the Darth Bane trilogy had the Brotherhood of Darkness sect of the Sith not to use the Darth title because it caused fragmentation among the Sith. They may have had a point, for Darth Bane took the title Darth and effectively destroyed the Brotherhood. Then again, SWTOR depicts the Sith Empire being relatively unified despite the Sith running around with Darth titles. But the smarter Sith there did believe in certain ideals.
Kinda hope new canon would study the ancient Sith at some point, and do it smartly.
I feel like I need to really read the Bane books, one of the few EU things that I am really interested in

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I need to really read the Bane books, one of the few EU things that I am really interested in
The Sith stuff is interesting, provided you can read about a murderous bastardly villain protagonist.
Unfortunately the writing leaves a lot to be desired (though it ain't the worst of Star Wars). Also don't think they make Bane (or anyone else) particularly interesting characters. Really, the main draw is the story of the Sith.
If you do read those, i also recommend reading Darth Plagueis (if you haven't already) as it basically details the end of the Rule of Two Sith's rise where the Bane trilogy shows the start, though that one works best if one is familiar with various EU works set before TPM, as it references those and sorta ties events together.

EDIT Incidentally, i seem to recall that Tarkin canonized several elements from Darth Plagueis.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
First Legacy Epic Collection finished. Damn good book. Even when Krayts Origin was a bit "lets try to get all eras together and mix it well through!!!". To bad that Darth Talon was killed so early.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Just got wave 20 full case of Black Series. Such a stunning set! probably the best wave they have ever put out! Hoth Leia and Skiff guard Lando are perfection

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This Resistance episode was preeetttyyy good. This Resistance is way better when it's actually about, you know, the Resistance.

Oct 28, 2017
England
images

Who knew those innocuous looking droids could actually pose a threat?

This Resistance episode was preeetttyyy good. This Resistance is way better when it's actually about, you know, the Resistance.

I agree, I'm particularly enjoying getting some more excellent world building for the ST-era. Seeing more of how the First Order operates on the fringes of the unknown regions has been interesting, learning how they've been amassing both wealth and arms. I'm also enjoying seeing the failings of the New Republic play out. It's clear that in their desire to be less like the Empire they've course corrected too far in the wrong directions (decentralising power and reducing the size and budget their military), whilst failing to adequately combat the rampant corruption that helped bring out the fall of the last Republic.

I'm also really quite enjoying it from character perspectives. Watching Leia warn Poe not too act engage directly with the FO, only to have Poe ignore her warning, does compliment the harsh lesson he'll be forced to learn in TLJ.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
New story content for SWTOR dropped today, and I actually ending up liking it more than I thought I would.

Was worried that it'd be chiefly a return to the status quo, but the character writing pleasantly surprised me.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I had a dream last night that the Ep 9 title announcement was coming this Friday. As we know, dreams never steer us wrong so you're welcome guys.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I had a dream last night that the Ep 9 title announcement was coming this Friday. As we know, dreams never steer us wrong so you're welcome guys.
I, too, had a dream about 9.

When I'm hyped about a movie, sometimes I get a dream where it's just the movie playing out.

It sucked, dream JJ is a hack and he ruined Star Wars.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Good Lord, that Mandalorian cast...

https://www.starwars.com/news/pedro-pascal-revealed-as-the-mandalorian

Pedro Pascal (Narcos) has been cast in the title role as a lone Mandalorian gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy. He is joined by Gina Carano (Deadpool), Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), Emily Swallow (Supernatural), Carl Weathers (Predator), Omid Abtahi (American Gods), Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man), and Nick Nolte (Affliction).

I mean...wow.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That dream talk reminds me of a dream of TLJ before it was released. In my dream, the film was, in-universe, an utterly bizarre propaganda film by the First Order, and Johnson had seriously intended it as followup for TFA. I was skeptical of Johnson back then but the dream went beyond crazy with that. Pity i can't recall exact details.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Since Age of Resistance is coming in July 2019, I wonder if some of the issues will be coming real close to the release of 9 and might have some stuff that leads into the movie.
BfK4t6N.png

Also, I can't fucking wait for the Snoke, Finn, Rose, Hux, Rey and Kylo issues.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If Solo had came out in December, today would've been the premiere day.

[edit]

Well, not "premiere" since that would've been on the red carpet and then there's also the one showing during Thursday but you know what I mean.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First 6 months of its release I would have called it my second favorite next to ESB. After enough rewatches and reflecting on it nah.....The Last Jedi is my favorite of the entire franchise, full stop.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
My fucking lightsaber was supposed to be delivered yesterday and technically the USPS did try. Of course, they show up immediately after I left my place. They don't call, don't provide any updates despite my requesting them, and then don't even leave the package at my door as suddenly they say a signatures required despite this never showing up before. So now I've had to reschedule it to be delivered today and have to hope they don't fuck up again. I've been waiting months for this thing.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i think it was moviebob that said that TLJ was the most different star wars film to come out since Phantom Menace. and he was right. TLJ isn't another ESB but it's own, unique star wars film. that does so many things differently and yet remains star wars. also the film is so damn ambitious and chalked full of story. feels like a mini series coulda been created with the amount of things that happen. it has such a brisk pace to it. film also manages to accomplish pretty much everything it set out to do.

love the film to death. if i had one nitpick, as a huge star wars action battle fan, i coulda used a few more minutes or shots of the battle of crait. felt like it was more of a one sided type deal, that wrapped up pretty quickly. of course it makes sense that it wrapped up quickly cause the film was probably over the 2hr mark already. and it was supposed to be a one sided battle, which makes sense in regards to the story they're telling. again, not really even a criticism as it was probably for the better how they did it. my hope for IX is that we get that huge, RotJ or even RO type battle that i feel like the sequel trilogy has yet to have.

anyway, TLJ is tops. what a brave, weird, rad, ambitious, progressive, badass film it was. Hope Rian and crew hop back on that star wars train soon after wrapping knives out.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Yeah man! Can't wait for it. I imagine it's still a ways off. Hopefully they have at least an outline or even a rough draft of a script going so they can hit the ground running after they wrap this film they're making. Wew

I'm not super interested in leaks as a rule, but I honestly can't wait for info to start coming out! Castings, costume ideas, locations - ahhh!

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not my favorite, not my most disliked. One year after it, I'm looking forward more to series like the mandalorian and the clone wars season than episode IX. Haven't started watching resistance yet though, might do so once the first season finishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.