• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Was watching TPM and I forgot about the scene where QGJ is talking to Shmi about Anakin and tells her that the force is unusually strong with him and that he has "special powers." Made me appreciate Luke's line in TLJ that the force is not a power you have. Seemed like RJ was issuing a sharp rebuke of the prequels with the way he wrote that scene.
TLJ injects a huge dose of mysticism into the Force.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Was watching TPM and I forgot about the scene where QGJ is talking to Shmi about Anakin and tells her that the force is unusually strong with him and that he has "special powers." Made me appreciate Luke's line in TLJ that the force is not a power you have. Seemed like RJ was issuing a sharp rebuke of the prequels with the way he wrote that scene.
Yup. Really dismantles the power level wankery introduced in the PT.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned this in the Jedi Fallen Order thread on Gaming side, but Celebration is gonna be stacked.

Basically assured to appear:

* Episode IX
* The Mandalorian
* Clone Wars S7
* The Phantom Menace 20th Anniversary festivities
* Galaxy's Edge

Could appear:

* Details on other Disney+ shows like the Cassian one.
* New movie announcements
* Jedi Fallen Order

And there's almost guaranteed to be new publishing announcements. It's gonna be a crazy couple days.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I mentioned this in the Jedi Fallen Order thread on Gaming side, but Celebration is gonna be stacked.

Basically assured to appear:

* Episode IX
* The Mandalorian
* Clone Wars S7
* The Phantom Menace 20th Anniversary festivities
* Galaxy's Edge

Could appear:

* Details on other Disney+ shows like the Cassian one.
* New movie announcements
* Jedi Fallen Order

And there's almost guaranteed to be new publishing announcements. It's gonna be a crazy couple days.

giphy.gif

What an insane year. Get to hyping me, LFL. You can save some of it for Celebration.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Since Disney is apparently dropping more Disney+ details on the same day as Celebration, I'm hoping that we'll also get a release date for The Mandalorian too.

Doubt there will be any new movie announcements though. Maybe an appearance by Rian and/or Benioff and Weiss, in some capacity, to talk briefly about the movies they're writing. But I think all of the movie focus will be on IX and it being the end of the Skywalker era. Given that there'll be no Star Wars movie next year they don't really need to talk up any new movies anyway.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Had they confirmed that The Mandalorian was coming in 2019? I mean, it was assumed since you obviously want to launch Disney+ with the show you're already deep into production.

It's at least good to know that it'll release in 2019. This fall is gonna be stacked as hell for Star Wars.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
What about any Star Wars games by EA?
oh wait....
We're at least getting Fallen Order, I mean, it could get canceled but with it most likely coming out in 9 or so months, it's probably too late for it to get the axe.

That could possibly be the last Star Wars game we see for a while, though.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Had they confirmed that The Mandalorian was coming in 2019? I mean, it was assumed since you obviously want to launch Disney+ with the show you're already deep into production.

It's at least good to know that it'll release in 2019. This fall is gonna be stacked as hell for Star Wars.
Not sure if The Mandalorian itself has been explicitly confirmed as coming in 2019, but given that it's a launch series for Disney+ which has been confirmed for this year, think it's safe to assume.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if The Mandalorian itself has been explicitly confirmed as coming in 2019, but given that it's a launch series for Disney+ which has been confirmed for this year, think it's safe to assume.
What I mean is that Disney confirmed that it's out in 2019 yesterday but I couldn't remember if that was something they had already confirmed or if we had just assumed it was 2019 since it made since to release it with Disney+.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
December 2019 should be a great month for me when it comes to Star Wars not just because of Episode 9 but since I'm a Youtuber I hope to have vids of various Star Wars games uploaded. I have a lot of Star Wars games so it should be easy for me to do so.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This whole scene is fantastic.

I also love when they're back inside the cave and Luke namedrops Darth Sidious, I liked that Rian wasn't afraid to mention the prequels there with how he wiped out the Jedi.

I also liked how TFA has mentions of the PT. This is the way it should be done. If there is ever a decision to remake the PT in the future, they can still hit on these major story elements because conceptually, there is a lot of potential there and it's possible to turn things around.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I also liked how TFA has mentions of the PT. This is the way it should be done. If there is ever a decision to remake the PT in the future, they can still hit on these major story elements because conceptually, there is a lot of potential there and it's possible to turn things around.

No way, don't remake the PT. I enjoy them. ROTS is my favourite SW movie.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm saying they may decide to remake them far, far down the line, one day (if it's possible in accordance to whatever was a part of the deal to sell SW). I don't think they should bother doing it now or soon.

I think if we ever get a remake of anything (some decades from now) it will start with Ep.IV.

The most popular SW character is Darth Vader, not Anakin Skywalker.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think if we ever get a remake of anything (some decades from now) it will start with Ep.IV.

The most popular SW character is Darth Vader, not Anakin Skywalker.
They're not going to simply remake the OT because people like Vader the most lol.

There is actual incentive to remake the PT eventually, because they were such widely panned movies with immense potential. JJ and Kasdan in many ways made EP7 as a response to the backlash of EP1-3, even if they didn't consciously plan them this way. They wanted to get that SW magic back and simplified things from the political jargon that was the backbone of TPM.

They'll probably remake the OT eventually, but starting with EP1-3 makes the most sense because they are the movies that have the most remake potential.

Oct 27, 2017
They're not going to remake the OT because people like Vader the most lol.

There is actual incentive to remake the PT eventually, because they were such widely panned movies with immense potential. JJ and Kasdan in many ways made EP7 as a response to the backlash of EP1-3, even if they didn't plan them this way. They wanted to get that SW magic back and simplified things from the political jargon that was the backbone of TPM.

I don't think we're ever getting any remakes, it would screw up the canon too much. Not unless they hit the reset button on that again, which would be a terrible idea.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, who knows how canon will be viewed a decade and longer from now. But they've got people dedicated to canon so I'm sure they'd find a way to do it.

The only way I see it happening is if it's an entirely new canon or alternate universe, like JJ Trek. A clean break. Not like when Disney took over and kept some things canon.

And I only see that happen if the franchise suffers serious long term declines in popularity.

Or of course they could remake them and explicitly say they aren't canon but that would be crazy.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The only way I see it happening is if it's an entirely new canon or alternate universe, like JJ Trek. A clean break. Not like when Disney took over and kept some things canon.

And I only see that happen if the franchise suffers serious long term declines in popularity.

Or of course they could remake them and explicitly say they aren't canon but that would be crazy.
Yeah, there's a few different ways it could be done. And the movies made bank so there is financial incentive in that regard too.

But oh my god the fanbase would effectively end if it ever happened

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They're not going to simply remake the OT because people like Vader the most lol.

There is actual incentive to remake the PT eventually, because they were such widely panned movies with immense potential. JJ and Kasdan in many ways made EP7 as a response to the backlash of EP1-3, even if they didn't consciously plan them this way. They wanted to get that SW magic back and simplified things from the political jargon that was the backbone of TPM.

They'll probably remake the OT eventually, but starting with EP1-3 makes the most sense because they are the movies that have the most remake potential.

My point is mostly that redoing the PT would be an operation probably aimed at the mass market. But the main problem of the PT for the mass market it was that it was a trio of movie that lacked what the mass market loved in SW - Vader, the Empire, David vs Goliath.

For the fandom, the PT was one of the best things to happen because while the movies were middling at best, they expanded the universe of SW lore immensely. In many ways, the PT was the golden age of the EU.

So the hardcore fans don't really need the PT remade, and the casual fans probably wouldn't care, in my opinion. And boy, I would really prefer to be wrong here, because I'd love to see movies that tell a better version of Anakin's tale.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My point is mostly that redoing the PT would be an operation probably aimed at the mass market. But the main problem of the PT for the mass market it was that it was a trio of movie that lacked what the mass market loved in SW - Vader, the Empire, David vs Goliath.

For the fandom, the PT was one of the best things to happen because while the movies were middling at best, they expanded the universe of SW lore immensely. In many ways, the PT was the golden age of the EU.

So the hardcore fans don't really need the PT remade, and the casual fans probably wouldn't care, in my opinion. And boy, I would really prefer to be wrong here, because I'd love to see movies that tell a better version of Anakin's tale.
General audiences enjoyed the PT (even if on a basic, shallow level). I believe all three got A- Cinemascores. They made insane profits, comparable to both the OT and ST, based on their budgets.

I don't think there would be much of an issue in that regard, if SW is still insanely popular a decade+ from now.

It's never been a matter of "need". Disney didn't "need" to buy SW, EP7 didn't "need" to be made.

So if it's deemed profitable, I see no reason why the PT wouldn't eventually be remade. Even though the PT wasn't as well received as the OT all around.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have no desire for remakes of any of the movies, even if some could be better. Those stories are done. Hopefully Rian's trilogy and the Benioff and Weiss series are the beginning of something new.

Wiping out George's contributions to Star Wars would be a mistake even if I don't agree with all the choices he made.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I would personally love to see the PT remade in competent hands one day. That said, I'd much rather have years of brand new content.

Oct 28, 2017
This whole scene is fantastic.

I also love when they're back inside the cave and Luke namedrops Darth Sidious, I liked that Rian wasn't afraid to mention the prequels there with how he wiped out the Jedi.

How does Luke know about Darth Sidious. Did he watch the prequels in the intervening years? I guess he did have like 30 years to get up to speed on galactic history...

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
How does Luke know about Darth Sidious. Did he watch the prequels in the intervening years? I guess he did have like 30 years to get up to speed on galactic history...
I'm assuming the Darth Sidious title and history was something Luke discovered in the time he spent becoming a Jedi Master after ROTJ. It's possible that he could have discussed this stuff with force ghost Obi and Yoda?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
From MSW

Also, sources say that the teaser is a real tear jerker. I'm not sure if its because of the content of the trailer or because of what it means. We'll have a lot more from Star Wars: Episode IX soon so keep checking back. We're officially in Episode IX mode!

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Bet we get an sizzle reel at celebration for IX and a teaser in feb.

Remember the R1 sizzle?

roll the sizzle!

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars Episode IX: Rey Falls Into a Crevice and Her Lightsaber Hand is Pinned by a Rock and She Contemplates the Meaning of Her Life for Four Days as She Slowly Succumbs to the Elements.

Yeah, definitely feels like a tearjerker that one.

And she definitely loses her hand in this movie.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Star Wars Episode IX: Rey Falls Into a Crevice and Her Lightsaber Hand is Pinned by a Rock and She Contemplates the Meaning of Her Life for Four Days as She Slowly Succumbs to the Elements.

And she definitely loses her hand in this one.
RJ is ghostwriting.

Rey is so powerful Kylo slices her and she actually grows another hand.

Thought you had that one figured out didn't you

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, definitely feels like a tearjerker that one.

And she definitely loses her hand in this movie.

Hands are old news. She should lose an eye.

Oct 27, 2017
Rey loses her right hand and Kylo says "haha I win" and then Rey uses her left hand "bitch I'm ambidextrous" and kills him. What a twist.

SunnyD

Dec 3, 2017
I personally hope we kinda jump in with them being flirtatious and seeing it develop/happen, because it's been something building over two films. I think it would be pretty great to have that payoff and use it to tie into the overarching story. Kylo could use it against her, similarly to Vader using Leia against Luke (obviously not for romantic reasons).

Seeing Rey flip her shit over Kylo taunting her with Finn's well being would be awesome to see, even if he's just bluffing.

You could do this non-romantically too, but I would love it to be done.

I hope this happens but it'll be weird to address the whole Rose kiss that I wish just didn't happen at all

Status
Not open for further replies.