• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This movie will break me.

My daughter is about to become old enough to watch Star Wars. And she's instinctively starting to play pretend with swords and making swoosh sounds, without ever having seen one.

Don't fuck up the ending of Rey's tale, Disney, because this one is for her and the little girls of her generation.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Idk, the second half of Star Wars Legacy is a bit meh and that they had a Event Crossover with stuff from like four different Star Wars eras didnt helped it, espescially that it tied into the big Showdown with Darth Krayt.
Hope the remaining parts are better.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to forget about Star Wars until we get IX news, and it's working out well for me. I am getting excited for Celebration though.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My daughter is about to become old enough to watch Star Wars. And she's instinctively starting to play pretend with swords and making swoosh sounds, without ever having seen one.

Don't fuck up the ending of Rey's tale, Disney, because this one is for her and the little girls of her generation.
This is the most I've ever agreed with your posts. JJ will do right by Rey. As for your daughter..

The Force is strong with this one..

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Idk, the second half of Star Wars Legacy is a bit meh and that they had a Event Crossover with stuff from like four different Star Wars eras didnt helped it, espescially that it tied into the big Showdown with Darth Krayt.
Hope the remaining parts are better.
yeah the comic really falls off imo. Loved the first few volumes though. Can't say it gets better unfortunately.

Oct 28, 2017
It's a small little scene but I thought it was a cool idea for RJ to show Rey taking time out of her day on the island to train with her staff. Idk, gave some extra insight into what her daily routine was probably like on Jakku and how she learned to defend herself. Plus, the Rey theme is the best new theme in the ST.

When I first saw the movie I stupidly thought they were trying to show Rey training herself because Luke wouldn't. My mindset was so set-up to see Rey "get trained" by Luke that I didn't understand the scene for what it was ha. I think a lot of people watched TLJ this way ....

I even had friends say Rey's lightsaber training in TLJ was so stupid. Uh, that wasn't meant to be a traditional training scene at all, she just normally trains with her staff but thought to grab the saber and give it a go.

Last edited:

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's a small little scene but I thought it was a cool idea for RJ to show Rey taking time out of her day on the island to train with her staff. Idk, gave some extra insight into what her daily routine was probably like on Jakku and how she learned to defend herself. Plus, the Rey theme is the best new theme in the ST.

When I first saw the movie I stupidly thought they were trying to show Rey training herself because Luke wouldn't. My mindset was so set-up to see Rey "get trained" by Luke that I didn't understand the scene for what it was ha. I think a lot of people watched TLJ this way ....

I even had friends say Rey's lightsaber training in TLJ was so stupid. Uh, that wasn't meant to be a traditional training scene at all, she just normally trains with her staff but thought to grab the saber and give it a go.

Rey's time on the island has so many continuity problems that complaining about her taking a moment to cool off and do some staff katas seems unfair. It's so bizzarre that RJ decided to emulate the structure of ESB so closely that he imported all the time issues the Degobah training montage had.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is the most I've ever agreed with your posts. JJ will do right by Rey. As for your daughter..

The Force is strong with this one..

I just hope they think of the younger generations and give her a nice, heroic, satisfying ending instead of thinking of the oldschool (or just old) fans and make something convoluted, subversive and ultimately unsatisfying. We had our trilogies, this one is first and foremost for the new generations.

Oct 28, 2017
Rey's time on the island has so many continuity problems that complaining about her taking a moment to cool off and do some staff katas seems unfair. It's so bizzarre that RJ decided to emulate the structure of ESB so closely that he imported all the time issues the Degobah training montage had.

Huh? Your response has pretty much nothing to do with what I said. Instead you used it to make a specious point about RJ mimicking the ESB structure.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Huh? Your response has pretty much nothing to do with what I said.

Just saying that complaining about Rey not getting traditional saber training is silly once you think about how Luke didn't either and both Luke and Rey technically spents tens of hours and not even days "training" in the respective movies.

In fact, Rey gets a lot more combat training than Luke ever did.

Oct 28, 2017
Just saying that complaining about Rey not getting traditional saber training is silly once you think about how Luke didn't either and both Luke and Rey technically spents tens of hours and not even days "training" in the respective movies.

In fact, Rey gets a lot more combat training than Luke ever did.

Well, the only training Luke offers Rey is an invaluable insight into the nature of the force. Besides that, he actively chose to NOT train her to be a Jedi. Yoda did the exact opposite. Plus, Rey's primary mission was to get Luke back into the fight and restart the Jedi Order. Training was secondary to that. Luke sought out Yoda specifically to be trained, not to gain his help in the fight. Also, I'm not seeing any continuity issues. Rey was there approximately two days. The Resistance had 18 hours of fuel left after her first training lesson (her first morning there). The continuity between the stories lines up pretty well, in my estimation.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rey's first day on Ach-to, initial interaction with Luke, --> Chewie confrontation and explanation of what happened to Han, Rey's plea for help, Luke's laser-sword reply, Rey follows Luke during his chores, Force tree conversation, Luke enters the Falcon, talks with R2, then wakes Rey to tell her that he will train her. All of that happens on her first day there.
Second day: morning comes and Rey's first force-connect with Ben happens, then her first lesson with Luke. It's at this point we learn from Finn that the fleet has 18 hours of fuel left. Finn and Rose are traveling thru hyperspace when he says this. Then Rey's second force-connect with Ben, the "you're a monster", "yes i am" convo. This convo ends during a rain storm, and the next time we see Rey is after Finn and Rose have been captured, and this time Rey is training with her staff and saber -- it's bright and clear outside, so maybe this is where some confusion for time comes from... this is still on the second day. That evening is her second lesson with Luke, the "Kylo failed you, I won't" convo. After that we hear from Connix to Holdo that they have 6 hours left. So in the morning of Rey's second day we hear 18 hours, and in the evening sunset time we hear they have 6 hours left. Next we see Ach-to is all at night of the second day --> Luke force connects to Leia, Rey's third force-connect to Kylo ben SWOLO convo, the cave, the hand touch scene with Kylo, and the final confrontation with Luke. Rey then leaves and Luke goes to the tree for his Yoda time. All of this is the second day at night.
Rey leaves on the second day at night, she's in hyperspace at the same time of the movie that Finn, Rose and DJ are traveling back to the First Order.

Everything jives with hourly countdown of fuel reserves. I mean, you have to accept the way hyperspace is presented here in this sequel trilogy for it all to work. Everything in the ST seems to depict hyperspace travel as a pretty short time period, like an hour or two maybe. Is that different from the OT or the PT? I don't think it's too different at all.

TLDR: Rey is on Ach-to for two days. Assuming a 24 hour clock, which we really shouldn't but is probably what is intended, the 18 hour countdown starts in the morning of the second day, anywhere from 6 am to 9 am I'd guess? So that gives until midnight or 3 am the next day to leave within, and she does that.

Oct 28, 2017
Rey's first day on Ach-to, initial interaction with Luke, --> Chewie confrontation and explanation of what happened to Han, Rey's plea for help, Luke's laser-sword reply, Rey follows Luke during his chores, Force tree conversation, Luke enters the Falcon, talks with R2, then wakes Rey to tell her that he will train her. All of that happens on her first day there.
Second day: morning comes and Rey's first force-connect with Ben happens, then her first lesson with Luke. It's at this point we learn from Finn that the fleet has 18 hours of fuel left. Finn and Rose are traveling thru hyperspace when he says this. Then Rey's second force-connect with Ben, the "you're a monster", "yes i am" convo. This convo ends during a rain storm, and the next time we see Rey is after Finn and Rose have been captured, and this time Rey is training with her staff and saber -- it's bright and clear outside, so maybe this is where some confusion for time comes from... this is still on the second day. That evening is her second lesson with Luke, the "Kylo failed you, I won't" convo. After that we hear from Connix to Holdo that they have 6 hours left. So in the morning of Rey's second day we hear 18 hours, and in the evening sunset time we hear they have 6 hours left. Next we see Ach-to is all at night of the second day --> Luke force connects to Leia, Rey's third force-connect to Kylo ben SWOLO convo, the cave, the hand touch scene with Kylo, and the final confrontation with Luke. Rey then leaves and Luke goes to the tree for his Yoda time. All of this is the second day at night.
Rey leaves on the second day at night, she's in hyperspace at the same time of the movie that Finn, Rose and DJ are traveling back to the First Order.

Everything jives with hourly countdown of fuel reserves. I mean, you have to accept the way hyperspace is presented here in this sequel trilogy for it all to work. Everything in the ST seems to depict hyperspace travel as a pretty short time period, like an hour or two maybe. Is that different from the OT or the PT? I don't think it's too different at all.

TLDR: Rey is on Ach-to for two days. Assuming a 24 hour clock, which we really shouldn't but is probably what is intended, the 18 hour countdown starts in the morning of the second day, anywhere from 6 am to 9 am I'd guess? So that gives until midnight or 3 am the next day to leave within, and she does that.

Yup 100%

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All of this is just to say that, Yeah the sequence of events and time frame of days on the island vs the other events in the film do work out from a certain pov. IT does not remove it from any criticism. Totally understandable to gripe about how hyperspace is depicted. It might feel cheap to some that Finn and Rose can travel both to and from Canto Bight and accomplish what they do within that window, personally I do kinda feel that way, but really also don't care. Traveling through the galaxy seems like it should take a little more time. From my one read Legends book only last year, Heir to the Empire iirc depicted hyperspace travel as taking days or even weeks, so I imagine a lot of people whose fandom extends deep into Legends might have problems overall with ST, Clone Wars, and Rebels, and Resistance hyperspacery seeming .. so instant. BUT that's how it has been depicted for a long time now soo... shut up.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer will be a real tear jerker because Disney's new gimmick ala 3d will be smellivision and Rey is going to cut blue onions with her lightsaber.

Oct 28, 2017
All of this is just to say that, Yeah the sequence of events and time frame of days on the island vs the other events in the film do work out from a certain pov. IT does not remove it from any criticism. Totally understandable to gripe about how hyperspace is depicted. It might feel cheap to some that Finn and Rose can travel both to and from Canto Bight and accomplish what they do within that window, personally I do kinda feel that way, but really also don't care. Traveling through the galaxy seems like it should take a little more time. From my one read Legends book only last year, Heir to the Empire iirc depicted hyperspace travel as taking days or even weeks, so I imagine a lot of people whose fandom extends deep into Legends might have problems overall with ST, Clone Wars, and Rebels, and Resistance hyperspacery seeming .. so instant. BUT that's how it has been depicted for a long time now soo... shut up.

In Rogue One the rebel fleet got to Scariff in literally like 5 secs. I'd prefer if hyperspace was depicted to take much longer as well but yea TLJ isn't the only SW movie to present it this way, like you said.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Making Star Wars is reporting that Episode IX was done filming 3 months ago but JJ won't allow them to stop filming ever since Karen took the kids. He just walks around set filming lens flares and scenes where Kylo Ren pleads for Rey to take him back.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rey will turn to the dark side and become Darth Re(y)van
We were in The Old Republic this whole time.

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017

Even the new books depict it as taking at least as much as a few days to get from one end of the galaxy to the other.

The movies have always ignored that though to I'm pretty much used to it by now. Helps that I refuse to look at maps and just assume that the planets being traveled between quickly are actually fairly close together. I think that's actually true for Naboo and Tatooine.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Just putting this out there for those that are interested, but some reference photos and concept art have leaked for IX. I posted it in the spoiler thread.

Oct 28, 2017
I rewatched the Matrix trilogy this weekend (yea yea I like it sue me) and what stood out to me when comparing those movies to the SW ST is how much better the dialog and acting is. Seriously the acting in the ST movies has been of the highest caliber for big budget Hollywood entertainment.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow! I just saw those leaked reference photos of the cast in costume. I can't believe JJ is bringing back Boss Nass.....I guess he meant it when he said they are treating this as a conclusion to all 9 films after all.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, they're bringing back that one girl all grown-up from that TV Ewok spinoff movie too

Everyone is here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is that Jar Jar podracing in the concept art? I knew JJ had it in him. Following through with the flag breadcrumbs in TFA

Status
Not open for further replies.