• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Holy shit is that Sora from Kingdom Hearts
soraEYR.gif

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe the entire Smash Bros. cast is in Episode IX. Seems like too many characters to juggle.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was spoiled for all prequels and for TFA. I will hold out for the trailers. I don't have the willpower to go "unsullied", as some people do.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've been doing some reflecting/thinking, and I've realized that not caring about spoilers is probably the best way to go, since I've been spoiled so much and burned in the past. Hopefully this thread still generally stays spoiler free on big things, but I've embraced my destiny.

I apologize for getting upset before, I've been spoiled in person and online on all the previous episodes on major things so it's touchy for me. But maybe there's just no escaping it.

You were right about me. Tell the other posters, you were right..

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing some reflecting/thinking, and I've realized that not caring about spoilers is probably the best way to go, since I've been spoiled so much and burned in the past. Hopefully this thread still generally stays spoiler free on big things, but I've embraced my destiny.

I apologize for getting upset before, I've been spoiled in person and online on all the previous episodes on major things so it's touchy for me. But maybe there's just no escaping it.

You were right about me. Tell the other posters, you were right..
Personally I am going spoiler blackout the moment the first teaser hits. That when the marketing ramps up anyways.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I will not look at those concept art pieces, I'm a clean boy. Mama didn't raise no soily spoily boi.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I will not go into that spoiler thread
It's just costumes, they way I see it is that stuff will just be in the trailers anyway and we'll see it before the movie comes out. It's the threads that have major story spoilers in that you want to avoid.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what's the worst when trying to avoid spoilers? Google Cards. They keep fucking putting shitty link bait articles in my feed on my Pixel because I went to this thread. I think I need to use a non google browser and incognito that shit to be sure.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You know what's the worst when trying to avoid spoilers? Google Cards. They keep fucking putting shitty link bait articles in my feed on my Pixel because I went to this thread. I think I need to use a non google browser and incognito that shit to be sure.
Yeah I got spoiled for TLJ via YT thumbnails for a video that was unrelated

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have actual pictures of characters in costume! Come in...the waters fine.

And in all honesty finding this leak to he spoilers seems silly to me. Is what Rey, Poe, Kylo, etc in costume look like REALLY count as a spoiler? It will be all over the marketing.

I guess it is a spoiler for the trailer I suppose.

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just costumes, they way I see it is that stuff will just be in the trailers anyway and we'll see it before the movie comes out. It's the threads that have major story spoilers in that you want to avoid.

The costume thread in Etcetera has story spoilers, just not in the first post.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I actually didn't see the story spoilers, I've not turned to the darkside, but I did see the concept art since I'll see that stuff in the trailer. I didn't want to but JJ made me with his unseemly behavior.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Infinity War is, like, the perfect "FUCK YEAH EXPLOSIONS" type Blockbuster while The Last Jedi is the perfect "OH FUCK NO MY EMOTIONS" type Blockbuster.

Thamku Disney yis guve me mo.

Oct 28, 2017
From TFN. It's interesting reading some of the views there which seem so at odds with the things a lot of people here seemed to appreciate about TLJ, which was that Rey is not a Skywalker or tied to their legacy and thus freed up the saga to offer something more, something new. TFN folks are having none of and insist that Rey is a shallow character and needs to be "saved" for her role in the saga to have any meaning.

And with the story we have now, why again is Ben's soul Rey Random's problem? Why is it Rey Random's job to save a family of strangers, literally none of whom she has history of any kind with, by saving the last of their line (who is responsible for destroying them in the first place)? Why doesn't she have her own story that's about her? Why doesn't she have a motive about what she wants because it affects her life and/or her loved ones who she does have history with and/or genuine and mutual affection for? Why should Rey care about this family of strangers more than any other family of strangers in the entire galaxy who's lives are being destroyed thanks to Kylo Ren, the stranger monster who she's supposed to live and die to save?

Han matters to the Skywalker family Saga because he was best friends with one Skywalker, loved and married another, and fathered a third. Obi matters to the Skywalker family saga because he literally raised one Skywalker that he loved as a brother, and protected and trained his son, another Skywalker. Padme matters to the Skywalker Saga because she loved one and birthed two.

None of the above applies to Rey. With her story now, after TLJ, she has zero, zilch to do with this family. She's known Leia a couple days. She seems to like her. She met Luke, lied to him, he didn't like her, and she deserted him and ran to the people desperate to find and murder him. No deep connection there. And Kylo? She's known him a few days, and during those days he is directly responsible for her being tortured twice, stalked, abducted, assaulted, and emotionally battered and demeaned. We are going into the third movie of the third trilogy in the Skywalker Saga and our mystery protagonist has zero do with this family besides she dresses like them and has other symbolic parallels with them. She also keeps inheriting their stuff (including their sidekicks) even though she has literally zero claim to any of it. This girl desperately needs a story, such that it should be impossible for any antagonist (read: not "half of the protagonist") to tell her that she has no place in the story with any semblance of truth. The protagonist is the person the story is supposed to be about for crying out loud! How has LF missed that memo? The protagonist can't have no place in her own freaking story.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious to me how much leeway that franchise gets in comparison to Star Wars. Nostalgia and wish-fulfillment is a bitch, I suppose.
"God, there's too much Star Wars going on. It's causing the movies to dip in quality. Face it, the MCU is the new Star Wars now."

"But doesn't the same thing happen to the MCU with lull movies like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, with sometimes 3 movies happening the same year?"

giphy.gif

I don't even have a huge beef with Marvel movies at all, but this sort of weird posturing drives me nuts.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
"God, there's too much Star Wars going on. It's causing the movies to dip in quality. Face it, the MCU is the new Star Wars now."

"But doesn't the same thing happen to the MCU with lull movies like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, with sometimes 3 movies happening the same year?"

giphy.gif

I don't even have a huge beef with Marvel movies at all, but this sort of weird posturing drives me nuts.
The idea that Star Wars has to not come out to be "special" is something that I just can't agree with. Star Wars is special because it's Star Wars, not because I have to wait 3 years between new episodes and then 10 years before the next trilogy.

It bums me out that we'll not get a film in 2020 and have no clear idea of when the next film will be out. Marvel continues to be special even with 3 movies coming out.

SunnyD

Dec 3, 2017
From TFN. It's interesting reading some of the views there which seem so at odds with the things a lot of people here seemed to appreciate about TLJ, which was that Rey is not a Skywalker or tied to their legacy and thus freed up the saga to offer something more, something new. TFN folks are having none of and insist that Rey is a shallow character and needs to be "saved" for her role in the saga to have any meaning.

It's almost like they completely miss the point of Rey's arc, which is about finding place and purpose outside of her expectations and idealizations about family, idealizations that these people ironically bolster through their exhaustingly narrow-minded view about what "story" is. Rey isn't the protagonist of the entire Star Wars series, she's the protagonist of this trilogy, which, to me, is all about the repetition of history and learning from the past, which involves reevaluating romantic notions about what "should" be. Rey is the total embodiment of that evolution, and I've really enjoyed her journey so far.

The denial on TFN is so widespread I don't know what's going to happen when IX squashes their hopes and dreams once and for all.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think the TLJ shitposts should be moderated more strictly?

Because SW threads on this forum have been shit for a long while now.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think the TLJ shitposts should be moderated more strictly?

Because SW threads on this forum have been shit for a long while now.
There's a few posters that always bring it up just to troll, shit like that should be moderated. It's tiring for there to be a Star Wars thread just to see the same avatars dropping in to say the same shit they've said for 15 months just to shit up the place.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think it should be moderated more carefully in that if it's just a lazy shitpost, it gets a warning. Cuz all it takes is one of those to derail a thread for scores of pages.

And maybe a thread mark asking to be more constructive and less incendiary.

Though it's a tough thing to do as people like to ride the line just cause

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys

How about we all collaborate on fanmade remake of The Last Jedi

That'll do the trick

I call dibs on playing Ackbar's corpse

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a bunch of family over and the lil' kids wanted to play my PS4, so I put Battlefront 2 on for them and apparently you can't play Galactic Assault with bots.

Why

It's the best mode

The fuck

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
lol just let them play the actual multiplayer

who gives a shit about stats in Battlefront anyway
You say that like I have Playstation Plus. 😞

Also, one of these kids would go insane if he played online cus they die each time. He keeps playing Yoda and one time I told him I was gonna put it on so he could play as the bad guys, dude started crying 'cus he wanted to be Yoda.

Status
Not open for further replies.