• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Hmm. I think I've figured out how to make an official staff communication post (must be a bug or something) and tempted to do one just for shits and giggles. >:) And write a hot take for all to see. But don't want to get a banned either. so i think i'll refrain :p

as a side note, not many mods come in this thread do they?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I think I've figured out how to make an official staff communication post (must be a bug or something) and tempted to do one just for shits and giggles. >:) And write a hot take for all to see. But don't want to get a banned either. so i think i'll refrain :p

as a side note, not many mods come in this thread do they?

It's not a bug, when the feature was originally rolled out the admins acknowledged that it is technically possible for anyone to make a staff post and that you will be moderated if you do it.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Just Write made a new video called "Can You Judge Art Objectively?" and The Last Jedi is featured as a prominent example for, you know... no particular reason.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I know so many of these movies are built off of the same heroic framework that's as ancient as time but.. that Aladdin thread got me to watch the original movie again, and I was surprised to see some interesting similarities to TFA and the overarching themes of the ST.

Aladdin a lowly street rat nobody who has to run around workin' hard for food (though steals instead, but almost every meal is a risky, strenuous venture), chased around in the marketplace where he meets her companion in the film (Jasmine), they both make a connection in not knowing who they really are/finding identity. I think what really triggered it for me was the walking around in the desert in the beginning of the film lol. Also the way Carpet is BB-8 (rejected and told to run along, then invited back into the group).

Also some parallels between finding the saber/lamp and hoping that it would define who they are only to realize they don't need anything special to discover their identity. Sure, Rey initially rejected it, but she hoped that her mission of delivering the saber to Luke would bring closure to her story and provide her meaning and purpose.

In a way, Aladdin summarized a lot of what the trilogy is and probably will be, with Rey accepting that she's gotta forge her own path. The "diamond in the rough" requirement in the beginning of Aladdin is basically what Rey is, a nobody who is destined for a greater purpose.

Just some random thoughts after finishing an excellent film. Though I wish Jasmine was written to be more active and not fall into some of the same princess tropes. She's still written a cut above a lot of what had come before in that context though.

Makes me appreciate Rey even more. She was written excellently in TFA and her story unfolded so effortlessly.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
So dumb question, I heard that Marvel is doing reprints for the discontinued Dark Horse comic collections, for stuff like Tales of the Jedi, Old Republic, Dark Empire, Thrawn series, Legacy of the Force. I want to start collecting the collections with the whole stories placed into one book, but I'm leery on whether it's a good idea to get them used from Amazon. Thanks in advance!

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
So dumb question, I heard that Marvel is doing reprints for the discontinued Dark Horse comic collections, for stuff like Tales of the Jedi, Old Republic, Dark Empire, Thrawn series, Legacy of the Force. I want to start collecting the collections with the whole stories placed into one book, but I'm leery on whether it's a good idea to get them used from Amazon. Thanks in advance!
I haven't bought any of the Star Wars ones specifically, but you are looking for the Epic Collection books. They are larger pages than the old Dark Horse Omnis. Paper quality varies, but it is a good way to read the comics. If you have a tablet (or a computer, though the experience is less nice) consider a trial of Marvel Unlimited. It has pretty much all of the old Star Wars comics. That's probably the best option if you don't mind not physically owning the trades. Can't tell you about the quality of used products, it varies. I prefer to buy from instocktrades.com rather than amazon, as I've had more dinged up books from amazon.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
finally got around to starting to catch up with all canon, I was 100% for a bit before TLJ. Im still over a year behind, but going pretty quickly. The darth vader comic is SO GOOD. Damn, this might be my favorite thing besides the movies in new canon so far. Dr Aphra is also very good, but cannot say the same for the rest of the comics. Star wars main is mostly boring, and poe is terrible imo. Star Wars adventures just seems so random and unnecessary, like from the ones ive read it adds absolutely nothing of value. The limited runs like darth maul, phasma, and mace windu have also not been too hot.

For novels, every Claudia Gray book is gold. I hope they keep her on forever as a star wars author.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
https://crisvector.myportfolio.com/star-wars-celebration

85NdAKV.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I've come to embrace SW
finally got around to starting to catch up with all canon, I was 100% for a bit before TLJ. Im still over a year behind, but going pretty quickly. The darth vader comic is SO GOOD. Damn, this might be my favorite thing besides the movies in new canon so far. Dr Aphra is also very good, but cannot say the same for the rest of the comics. Star wars main is mostly boring, and poe is terrible imo. Star Wars adventures just seems so random and unnecessary, like from the ones ive read it adds absolutely nothing of value. The limited runs like darth maul, phasma, and mace windu have also not been too hot.

For novels, every Claudia Gray book is gold. I hope they keep her on forever as a star wars author.

i used to try to read everything and I agree with pretty much everything you said. I liked phasma comic though mainly for the art but the story was okay too. Same with Obiwan and Anakin. Attractive art makes all the difference in the largely pointless miniseries.

The mainline comic has been such a disappointment though. Not only are the stories meh but the art wtf? They do this ugly "realistic" shit with the faces and refuse to admit it's ugly. I don't get it. Meanwhile both Vader ongoings were incredible. Seems to be where more creativity and passion for storytelling goes. Mainline is just offensively inoffensive.

On the books, I've given up trying to read everything. There's too much and not enough time when I also want to read other stuff (just got into the expanse and Witcher series). But Gray always gets an automatic pick from me. She is hands down the best. I also always get Thrawn even though they've been a little disappointing I just love the character too much to ignore. Other than those, I've given up on a lot. I quit phasma, ahsoka, catalyst, and dark disciple all midway as they couldn't hold my attention, wanting to "know everything canon" wasn't enough motivation to force myself through them, so wookipedia it was. Now I'm much more selective and I feel like that's good cause there's less pressure.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I agree the Star Wars comic has been a disappointment overall. I've found it a lot more enjoyable since Gillen took over though. It's a shame he's leaving.

Oct 28, 2017
Watched the beginning of TFA again last night and the first 30 minutes or so is genuinely delightful. So much fun.

I have an issue with JJ's "go go go run run run don't stop to think, interrupt every scene with a new problem or task" storytelling following this but that instant chemistry between the leads in the early going is just so good.

If you could somehow combine JJ's delightfullness and Johnson's steady hand you'd have the best of both worlds.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Chiming in agreement that the Star Wars mainline comic is .... excuse my hyperbole, but it is some hot steaming trash. A lot of things about it really bug me, from the artwork itself, to feeling like it's cramming in way too much stuff in the gap between ANH and ESB, to what seems like a lot of out of place character development and interactions.... when people say they want more stories with the OT main 3, I just think of this series and ask WHY??. Not all of it is bad, a lot of it is good, I definitely enjoyed a number of the arcs but overall it has left me with a bad taste. I've found a lot more enjoyment out of the Vader lines, and even the Poe line, though there too is some questionable stuff in that one. I go in large swaths, on the comics, I can't do this weekly drip, I'll read an arc in one go and just clear through a volume one by one.

The newer Age of the Republic one shots with Qui-Gon, Maul, Jango, Obi-Wan, Anakin are quite enjoyable though.

I can't do every book anymore either, but Claudia Grey is must read. Looking forward to the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan book., and hoping I can do the Queen's Shadow book about Amidala.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Glad I haven't bothered with the comics then. Though.. maybe Vader is worth it?
Watched the beginning of TFA again last night and the first 30 minutes or so is genuinely delightful. So much fun.

I have an issue with JJ's "go go go run run run don't stop to think, interrupt every scene with a new problem or task" storytelling following this but that instant chemistry between the leads in the early going is just so good.

If you could somehow combine JJ's delightfullness and Johnson's steady hand you'd have the best of both worlds.
Yup I agree here. That first 30 min or so is some of the very best SW has to offer. Rey's intro is basically a masterclass in visual storytelling.

I also agree that JJ needs to slow the fuck down. We needed time to catch our breath and get to know our new characters better. After the craziness of the intro, the Rathtar sequence probably should have been either cut in favor or some sit down time or at the very least rewritten into a shorter action piece so we get 5 additional minutes getting to know Finn/Rey/Han and letting them play off of each other.

Oct 28, 2017
Glad I haven't bothered with the comics then. Though.. maybe Vader is worth it?

Yup I agree here. That first 30 min or so is some of the very best SW has to offer. Rey's intro is basically a masterclass in visual storytelling.

I also agree that JJ needs to slow the fuck down. We needed time to catch our breath and get to know our new characters better. After the craziness of the intro, the Rathtar sequence probably should have been either cut in favor or some sit down time or at the very least rewritten into a shorter action piece so we get 5 additional minutes getting to know Finn/Rey/Han and letting them play off of each other.

Yea totally agree but I just don't see it happening. It's just how JJ makes movies

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing from the mainline Star Wars comic was, like, the third arc and then it hadn't really been all that interesting. A lot of it is bugged down with mundane writing ans downright horrible art.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
They really need to move on from the post-ANH time period (that or come up with more interesting and worthwhile stories). It has gone on too long.

Get closer to ESB please.

Oct 28, 2017
I think we'll get some slower sections, only because end of trilogies seem to be more exposition heavy in terms of significant plot/character progression.

It's actually the main thing I'm worried about with the movie and it being the conclusion to the trilogy it will be mostly about resolving threads and conflicts, although Johnson did kinda clear the deck storywise, lots of things need to be established

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
I like Solo, and generally appreciate the look of it, but I feel like there is an overabundance of fog, snow, mist, smoke, and similar clouding and hazy effects. Knowing the production woes, I can't help but assume a lot of that, along with the abundance of tight shots, were a necessity due to budget and time concerns. Like, animating a giant tentacle space monster is a bit easier if everything is in a space cloud, and not necessarily because that looks cool (I think for the most part it doesn't). It's not a big problem, it's just hard not to think about.

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Aaron half of SW was pretty boring and lost its plot after Vader Down. Gillen's run has been consistently fun except for the most recent story arc which was bland, but his final arc should be good. The main issue is the awful art.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Solo is easily the dullest and most lifeless looking film in SW history. I hope the murky grey/brown is permanently washed away from the franchise.

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having not read any of the new Marvel books, I know there's a new story revolving around an irregular stormtrooper unit that looks pretty cool. Does that shake out or does it end up being half-baked? One of them wields a lightsaber around like it's nothing.

They're just recurring villains in the main SW comic. They basically show up and get beaten every few story arcs so that Luke has someone he can duel against.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
They're just recurring villains in the main SW comic. They basically show up and get beaten every few story arcs so that Luke has someone he can duel against.

That's sad to hear. I looked them up and I'm really into their designs at least, it reminds me a ton of the 'Bad Batch' designs that were scrapped from the cut content of the Clone Wars cartoon, mixed with some Republic Commando vibes.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to see Ralph Breaks the Internet, when do we get our 3D animated Star Wars film?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New animated Star Wars movie with the writing and production values of the later TV seasons when?

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Rose is for Finn
And Rey, you're for me
It's the only way to become what you're meant to be."

-Kylo "The Bard" Ren

Status
Not open for further replies.