• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through. It's a really weird story so far and I'm not sure what to make of it yet, but I will say that Lando is magnificent.

I'm enjoying it, it just has a huge amount of quirky/strange things in it and I'm not sure where the plot is going to end up.

Of all the new canon novels I would say this one reminds me the most of the old EU, outside of the various new canon references or course. It definitely feels like some bizarre Han/Lando adventure that could have been plonked down right in the middle of the Bantam era.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The worst thing about JJ directing is that he doesn't have any online presence. RJ and Ron Howard's Twitter game has been pretty good, RJ's especially. RJ was out there doing podcasts and shit talking about all his thoughts behind scenes and whatnot and I wanna say JJ really only did that for the director's commentary and a bit here and there during interviewers but not much.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The worst thing about JJ directing is that he doesn't have any online presence. RJ and Ron Howard's Twitter game has been pretty good, RJ's especially. RJ was out there doing podcasts and shit talking about all his thoughts behind scenes and whatnot and I wanna say JJ really only did that for the director's commentary and a bit here and there during interviewers but not much.

Benioff and Weiss don't have social meida accounts either, I don't think. At least we've also got Favreau for the tv series.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
I'm halfway through. It's a really weird story so far and I'm not sure what to make of it yet, but I will say that Lando is magnificent.

I'm enjoying it, it just has a huge amount of quirky/strange things in it and I'm not sure where the plot is going to end up.

Of all the new canon novels I would say this one reminds me the most of the old EU, outside of the various new canon references or course. It definitely feels like some bizarre Han/Lando adventure that could have been plonked down right in the middle of the Bantam era.

Curiosity piqued!

Got a copy coming Friday but won't get stuck in until next week

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

This is the least bit of concern of mine.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
BossAttack considering reading one of the books?! Mustafar hath frozen over. That's cool dude! I really would like to read the Last Shot book too, but I'm getting a little tired of buying brand new books as hardcovers. Might finally dive into e-reading. The wife has a kindle so I might be using that. I read Bryan Young's review of it and got a good idea of what's going on. http://bigshinyrobot.com/60338/star-wars-last-shot-review/ Def sounds like a call back in style to old EU Han and Lando books which sounds really fun.

P.S. I strongly implore you to give the book Bloodline a shot, if you are indeed maybe feeling like reading a little.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
BossAttack considering reading one of the books?! Mustafar hath frozen over. That's cool dude! I really would like to read the Last Shot book too, but I'm getting a little tired of buying brand new books as hardcovers. Might finally dive into e-reading. The wife has a kindle so I might be using that. I read Bryan Young's review of it and got a good idea of what's going on. http://bigshinyrobot.com/60338/star-wars-last-shot-review/ Def sounds like a call back in style to old EU Han and Lando books which sounds really fun.

P.S. I strongly implore you to give the book Bloodline a shot, if you are indeed maybe feeling like reading a little.

The only reason I'm even considering it is because it feels like nothing more than a fun, side story, as opposed to a whole book trying to fill in plot details that were completely left out of the films by lazy writers. *cough TFA*
If it's just a well written and fun Han-Lando adventure then I might consider trying it.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The only reason I'm even considering it is because it feels like nothing more than a fun, side story, as opposed to a whole book trying to fill in plot details that were completely left out of the films by lazy writers. *cough TFA*
If it's just a well written and fun Han-Lando adventure then I might consider trying it.
That's what it appears to be, so go for it!

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of side stories, what's anybody's two cents on From A Certain Point of View? I was thinking of taking advantage of the free audiobook offer Audible has and I was considering getting that one.

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of side stories, what's anybody's two cents on From A Certain Point of View? I was thinking of taking advantage of the free audiobook offer Audible has and I was considering getting that one.

It's fun. Some of the stories are duds and some are obviously non-canon but it has some real good stuff in there too.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I'd like to remind everyone that as of today Jaxxon is canon.

nSxSwa.gif

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny thing I realized in Star Wars Battlefront 2 btw that's unintentionally canon-appropriate

When playing Heroes vs Villains, Kylo Ren is almost always the worst damn player on the Darkside team.

Fucking Ben.

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Last Shot, and I'll say again what I said before - this book is weird. Pablo probably loves this book because it is peak Weird Star Wars. If you want a gritty underworld-based book about gangs and smugglers and bounty hunters, this is not the book for you. If you like 1970s Marvel or Bantam era EU, this will be more up your alley.

I liked it but I think it dragged a little in part 2. Some of the side characters weren't really necessary. The villain is so ridiculous that some people will love it and some people will hate it. If you're interested in plot progression, skip it. But if you want a wacky Han and Lando adventure, that's exactly what this is.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I knew this was going to be a special book when

Sana's intro is her and Han fending off pissed-off space rodents while high on space LSD

Also

Aro the Gungan reads like a Edgar Wright or Taika Watiti character. Not necessarily a good or bad thing, but interesting.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I do really appreciate is that they give post-ROTJ Han and Lando some actual flippin' character development, which is refreshing considering how often these characters are treated as static entities in supplemental content.

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the strange things in Last Shot (relatively large spoilers):

-Han repeatedly getting hypnotized by a giant crustacean
-Ewok slicer
-The villain is a Pau'an medical student who gets kidnapped by a gang, survives out in the wild, and goes nuts after coming to believe in the impurity of organic life. He starts creating hybrid droid-organics which catches the eye of another gang, which captures him in battle and forces him to start working on a secret super technological project called the Phylanx Redux Transmitter that could control all droids in the galaxy - then instead of using it, they try to auction it. He kills everyone, takes it for himself, and begins a ridiculously long and drawn out plot to stage a droid uprising with this thing.
-Gungan prison manager who calls out Han for making assumptions about how Gungans speak
-Sana kidnaps a tiny alien crime lord small enough to fit in a box by going on a date with him
-Aforementioned trippy drug scene
-Lando joking about battle droids and astromechs producing hybrid babies in a droid orgy
-The cyborg cultist who tries to steal Lando's arms totally reads like something from Monty Python and the Holy Grail
-The villain specifically targets Wookiee babies to steal their arms and graft them onto droids
-Laser eating alien dog thing
-L3's self-replicating action squad
-The superweapon is suicidal. Probably has Alan Rickman's voice.
-Ben Solo nearly gets decapitated as a toddler by his nanny droid who is otherwise obsessed with making coffee

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I read it. Not big on audiobooks since I can't control the pace.
Likewise. I hear so many people praise them though, mentioning nice voice work by the reader and good use of music and sound effects, that I wonder sometimes if I'm missing out. I often think maybe I'll go back someday and instead of rereading one of the books, do a listen of the audiobook.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
New Movies with Mikey on TLJ coming out next Friday. His style isn't for everyone, but he makes some really great videos. I recall him seeming fairly positive about TLJ, so interested to hear what he has to say.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tweaked the poster a bit to give it more of that pop art/brush look

Just a quick edit, of course

WlgpMyU.jpg

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Last Shot.

Gotta say, that is some... interesting characterization for L3 that they went with there. Will definitely be looking at that character differently when I see the movie.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it is a decent amount of good. I wasn't too much of a fan of how they kept stretching out the action in the back third, but overall I dig the book and the themes it goes after.

On the weirdness scale, however, I think I still prefer Phasma for its post-apoc Mad Max vibes.

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like new canon writers really seem to love cyborg villains. Doctor Cylo and his gang, Count Vidian, Fyzen Gor, whoever that Dalek looking dude from the last issue of Aphra is, etc. Plus Imperials with mechanical appendages like Alecia Beck, Tolvan, Kanchar...

Actually half that list is just Gillen isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.