• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Damn. The international trailer for TFA was a LOT different. :(

Oh well. Better we don't see too much anyway.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
so...luke has a lightsaber in the international trailer...and it ain't the green one

Better be saving the superior saber for a surprise moment or something. I'll be pissed if he doesn't have it. No reason not to have the saber he actually made and didn't just get as a hand-me-down.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Was this posted?

startwsmf.jpg

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Empire have an interview with Neil Scanlan, creature workshop head honcho, and he reveals a few interesting details about some of the new creatures.

Porgs and the caretakers are related:
With Ahch-To, it felt like the only creatures that would ever exist on this island were those indigenous to it, where very few other species and DNA would have reached them," Scanlan explained. "So they're an extrapolation from the porgs and have bird-like feet, but they're a further developed race."

The crystal foxes:
As for the mysterious Crystal Foxes, also spotted in the trailer, Scanlan offers some background on their origin: "The theory is they've fed off this planet for so long that their fur has become crystalline. They've taken on the very surface of the planet they live on."

There's a BB unit chase scene:
Elsewhere, Scanlan teases a scene where BB-8 is on the run from his evil First Order doppelgänger, BB-9E. "There was this one scene in particular where BB-8 is in disguise and has to try and make his way without being recognised," Scanlan says. "It just seemed so threatening that his doppelgänger would be the very one that may or may not discover him."

Yep, previous page.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Man, I even checked out the last page to be sure on mobile, maybe it didn't load the images cause I didn't see any. Oh well, my apologies.

I do like the poster though.
You don't have to apologise. It's a nice poster.

--

Everyone seems to be going undercover in The Last Jedi - Finn, Rose, DJ and now BB-8. I wonder if he's with them or he's with Poe on his own mission. Most of what we've seen of him has been during the space battle.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Eep glad this group exists in some form still.

Really enjoying this season of Rebels so far.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone reading/listening to the new Luke book?
Oh! I forgot this book comes out today! Checked my amazon preorder and it should arrive tonight.

Hopefully that character Lugubrious Mote is as hilarious as it sounds. What are your impressions so far?

I'm trying to keep up with as much of the content as I can, but that is proving super difficult what with other very compelling/occupying things happening, (Mario, Stranger Things, Football, World Series, being a parent). Currently trying to get thru Life Debt and then Empire's End. Gotta catch up with Poe comics bc it feels like those have the highest probability of mattering to TLJ.

What books/comics do you think people should prioritize for TLJ preparation?

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Oh! I forgot this book comes out today! Checked my amazon preorder and it should arrive tonight.

Hopefully that character Lugubrious Mote is as hilarious as it sounds. What are your impressions so far?

I'm trying to keep up with as much of the content as I can, but that is proving super difficult what with other very compelling/occupying things happening, (Mario, Stranger Things, Football, World Series, being a parent). Currently trying to get thru Life Debt and then Empire's End. Gotta catch up with Poe comics bc it feels like those have the highest probability of mattering to TLJ.

What books/comics do you think people should prioritize for TLJ preparation?

I only listened to about 45 minutes or so on the way to work this morning, but it's fun so far. Definitely more laid back, doesn't seem like required reading for TLJ though I'm eager to gobble up anything Luke related.

I finished Phasma last week and I'd say that and her comic (I believe it's 4 parts) are absolutely required for TLJ preparation. Both are well written, the comic is beautifully illustrated, and it expands a toooooon on who Phasma is and why she makes certain decisions. Really great. Gives a bigger picture of the First Order as well, which was helpful for me because I thought they were a little underdeveloped in TFA.

I haven't checked out the Poe comic, will have to do that.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I only listened to about 45 minutes or so on the way to work this morning, but it's fun so far. Definitely more laid back, doesn't seem like required reading for TLJ though I'm eager to gobble up anything Luke related.

I finished Phasma last week and I'd say that and her comic (I believe it's 4 parts) are absolutely required for TLJ preparation. Both are well written, the comic is beautifully illustrated, and it expands a toooooon on who Phasma is and why she makes certain decisions. Really great. Gives a bigger picture of the First Order as well, which was helpful for me because I thought they were a little underdeveloped in TFA.

I haven't checked out the Poe comic, will have to do that.
Wow, thanks for the suggestion. I loved the little bits they did with her in Before the Awakening (love that book).

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Also introduces some new characters that will likely be in extended canon content for the next couple years, including a bomb First Order captain.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gig would you give priority to finishing the Aftermath trilogy or Phasma? I've read Leia, Bloodline & Lost Stars.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Gig would you give priority to finishing the Aftermath trilogy or Phasma? I've read Leia, Bloodline & Lost Stars.

I actually haven't read Aftermath yet, I'm pretty behind. Someone else will have to speak to how closely that ties into TLJ.

The Phasma book is pretty much her entire back story, whereas the comic is what happens to her between TFA and TLJ. I'd put highest priority on the comic; It's only 4 issues so it's a quick read. Some of my favorite art in any Star Wars comic too.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Considering it really makes no sense that Luke doesn't have his green one, I'm betting this is gunna be a bait and switch situation again.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Double bladed lightsaber makes no sense in the newer movies where lightsabers of any kind are basically relics and Luke is apparently trying to bury any Jedi tradition.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm OK with it not being a double blade. I wonder if we'll get an actual scene that focuses on the creation of the saber itself or if it will just show up in the final film, ROTJ style.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I always liked the design of Anakin's lightsaber better than Luke's green one so I'll be fine (if confused) if they try to do that.

Though my ideal scenario would be Luke being a powerful channel of Force energy that doesn't need a lightsaber anymore.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Luke's green > everything

Other answers are wrong and should not be taken seriously.

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
Double bladed lightsaber makes no sense in the newer movies where lightsabers of any kind are basically relics and Luke is apparently trying to bury any Jedi tradition.
If Rey knows how to build a lightsaber, or has to build one, she'll build it however she wants. She really likes her staff. She still keeps it around.

It makes all the sense in the world. It can't not happen.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If Rey knows how to build a lightsaber, or has to build one, she'll build it however she wants. She really likes her staff. She still keeps it around.

It makes all the sense in the world. It can't not happen.

Luke would have to be the one to teach her, and he seems pretty soured on the whole thing.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Legend stuff that's now non-canon made it seem like a pretty big task to make a lightsaber which is what I'm going on. I would assume most of that has carried over since Kylo's lightsaber is pretty hacky.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 5-6 of Rebels.
Eh, they were okay. Thrawn continues to not feel like a threat whatsoever. The wolf stuff was kinda interesting, though.
I like that they're not doing fillers this season but I'm not a fan of these 2 parter episodes, I still wish they would just have a season long storyline.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Why would Luke have to be the one to teach her? Building a lightsaber isn't some secret. Luke found out how to do it in between ESB and RotJ.

There's speculation that Luke used Qui-Gon's crystal to make his new lightsaber.

The Sideshow (Legends) statue of Obi-Wan in exile shows him with both Anakin and Qui-Gon's lightsaber attached to his belt. Qui-Gon's crystal was green.

As ESB-to-ROTJ is completely off limits right now in the expanded universe stuff, it's speculated that after ESB Obi-Wan tells Luke that he had another saber stashed in his hovel on Tatooine, and Luke uses Qui-Gon's crystal to make his ROTJ saber.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There's speculation that Luke used Qui-Gon's crystal to make his new lightsaber.

The Sideshow (Legends) statue of Obi-Wan in exile shows him with both Anakin and Qui-Gon's lightsaber attached to his belt. Qui-Gon's crystal was green.

As ESB-to-ROTJ is completely off limits right now in the expanded universe stuff, it's speculated that after ESB Obi-Wan tells Luke that he had another saber stashed in his hovel on Tatooine, and Luke uses Qui-Gon's crystal to make his ROTJ saber.
George Oscar.. that's you right? At first I thought it was somebody who jacked your avatar, lol.

That's a super interesting theory, I had not heard that before. Never made the connection that Qui/Luke's sabers are both green.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If Luke does not ignite the green... man I'm gonna cry. I need the green. Although, if they have a cool story reason that works for why it isn't used, I'll live. As Bobby might say, some Force Hadoukens would do the trick too.

It would be fantastic if we learned any new info about other famous sabers that could still be out there. What ever happened to Obi-Wans saber from ANH? Vader take it and stash it somewhere? Did it blow-up on the first Death Star? What happened to Qui-Gonn's saber? Was Vader's saber truly destroyed on the second Death Star? What's all this crap about a red saber and the Acolytes of the Beyond in the Aftermath books?

I'm curious if Kylo Ren's saber is using the crystal from Luke's green. Maybe Ren stole the green, used the crystal but wasn't strong/focused/controlled enough to work with it correctly, thus CRACK!

I'm also curious why this Luke funko pop from force friday has a Red Crystal on his necklace. Could that be his green somehow turned? Or could it be Vader's? Imagine if he slapped that shit in a saber, turned it on and we saw it un-bleed to WHITE.

Rey's gonna be using the Anakin saber, period. At least in this movie, that'll be it. Maybe in the future she has to build something new. That's probably the reason the toy lines all brand the Anakin saber as 'Rey's lightsaber' It's hers now.

Last edited:

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017

Right. I guess my point is that if they want her to build a new lightsaber, they can find a way.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Right. I guess my point is that if they want her to build a new lightsaber, they can find a way.

I'm pretty sure she keeps that lightsaber. It's "Rey's Lightsaber" in all of the merchandise. And I'm purposely avoiding spoilers here so that's all I'll say.

Also poster marketing, especially internationally, isn't something to be taken as concrete plot spoilers. Remember how much Finn was shown with the lightsaber in all of the TFA stuff?

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious if Kylo Ren's saber is using the crystal from Luke's green. Maybe Ren stole the green, used the crystal but wasn't strong/focused/controlled enough to work with it correctly, thus CRACK!

I'm also curious why this Luke funko pop from force friday has a Red Crystal on a necklace. Could that be his green somehow turned? Or could it be Vader's? Imagine if he slapped that shit in a saber, turned it on and we saw him un-bleed that shit WHITE.

Rey's gonna be using the Anakin saber, period. At least in this movie, that'll be it. Maybe in the future she has to build something new. That's probably the reason the toy lines all brand the Anakin saber as 'Rey's lightsaber' It's hers now.
I like these ideas, and given we don't know much about Kylo Ren's cracked kyber crystal, it seems possible the source of the crystal could be Luke's green saber or even Obi-Wan's. I would imagine such a revelation would add a deeper significance to the weapon and it's broken state, and account for either saber's whereabouts. If Luke ever had to confront Kylo it would be pretty rad to see him light up Anakin/Rey's saber.

They have spent a great deal of time exploring the corruption and cleansing of crystals after all.

Theodoricos

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about lightsabers reminds me: Regardless of the crystal that she uses, I definitely want to see Rey build her own lightsaber, either in TLJ or in the third movie. As a rite of passage, building your own lightsaber is part of your Jedi training. It's a necessary step to becoming a Jedi Knight.

The Skywalker lightsaber may have "called for Rey", but I'll be disappointed if she doesn't end up with one of her own.

Status
Not open for further replies.