• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Vader's VA in Vader Immortal is spot on. Lucasfilm can probably keep making movies with Vader for a while if JEJ dies.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why they still keep using Chad Vader. He's really not that great at it.

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If Galaxy's Edge is canon, and I can go there, does that mean I'm canon?
XG1oTu.gif

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just had someone in my office go on a rant about the sequel trilogy when they saw my Star Wars memorabilia on my desk.
Sounded like a TLJ Era thread LOL

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought experiment: write a biography of your life as if you were a canon Wookiepedia article

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just had someone in my office go on a rant about the sequel trilogy when they saw my Star Wars memorabilia on my desk.
Sounded like a TLJ Era thread LOL
What did you say lol.

I have had that happen at work before with my Star Wars stuff because I have bobble heads of Rey and Kylo and soon I throw out I loved TLJ they get really thrown off.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What did you say lol.

I have had that happen at work before with my Star Wars stuff because I have bobble heads of Rey and Kylo and soon I throw out I loved TLJ they get really thrown off.
Tell us what they said about it.

I mean it was just a combination of all of the worst arguments you hear online about how Di$ney is the worst and Rey is a Mary Sue and how they ruined Luke etc etc.

I tried to engage with it at the beginning, but quickly got exhausted. It was clear he didn't pay that much attention to the movies and was talking over me whenever I got two words into a sentence. Then he said that it was just my opinion that it was good and I was in denial and it was objectively terrible.
From that point in I was just...

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the two guys who shares my office is an alt-right dipshit who regularly rants about TLJ, female Doctor Who, Captain Marvel, etc.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, reminds me of the fact that I only personally know two people who are into Star Wars as much as I am, and they're both just... really morally-repugnant dudes.

Makes me thankful for this community, in any case.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
This community is so good. <3

Something that I seen pop up and I still don't understand fully, is oh Mark Hamill totally hates Luke in TLJ, and Disney told him to shut up about it. I know Mark was disappointed originally, but it feels like some are latching onto some things that he said, and twisting them.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This community is so good. <3

Something that I seen pop up and I still don't understand fully, is oh Mark Hamill totally hates Luke in TLJ, and Disney told him to shut up about it. I know Mark was disappointed originally, but it feels like some are latching onto some things that he said, and twisting them.
I think it's pretty clear that Mark was frustrated with some decisions involving Luke. But he's also made it clear that he thought RJ did a phenomenal job with TLJ and that he made him see things in a different way in the end. At one point, at SW celebration, he even called him a god lol.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I think it's pretty clear that Mark was frustrated with some decisions involving Luke. But he's also made it clear that he thought RJ did a phenomenal job with TLJ and that he made him see things in a different way in the end. At one point, at SW celebration, he even called him a god lol.

I sure deep down, he still hates TLJ, but can't express it cause of the mouse!

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because the first time we ever saw Mark bring up disagreeing with Rian was for the very first bit of info we got about TLJ. It was when we found out that Rey and Luke's whole situation was gonna be a "don't meet your heroes" type deal. And because they revealed that, Mark talked about how he fundamentally disagreed with what Rian did but then saw that it was the right choice. It was supposed to be a tease and Disney didn't think this would be an issue because they didn't realize some people are goddamn insane.

Right off that bat you had Jar Jar Abrams editing what Mark said to just have the first bit and removed the second part.

Once TLJ actually released, and all the stuff was brought up again, it just felt like deja vu.

But really, fuck Rian Johnson. Release Knives Out trailer, coward!

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does Harloff care so much about not being invited? I mean, seriously why care? Just go of your own free time.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Rian got all three of Mark's kids cast in The Last Jedi, I doubt he personally hates him lol (also his youngest son totally passes as him).

2qu9lrec24t21.png

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure Mark wanted his moment to make Luke a Marvel Hero type badass who topples the First Order with the flick of his wrist and the tip of his saber instead of playing him as a grumpy, defeated hermit but I also think he's insightful enough to realize Luke's final moments in TLJ cement him as the most powerful Force-wielder in the franchise along with becoming a true, inspirational martyr.

There's so much interesting subtext and characterization going on in TLJ that I feel it's become a form of kryptonite for dumb people.

That isn't to say only unintelligent people dislike the film but the vast majority of arguments levied against the movie demonstrate a dearth of understanding as to what is actually happening on screen.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Mark wanted his moment to make Luke a Marvel Hero type badass who topples the First Order with the flick of his wrist and the tip of his saber instead of playing him as a grumpy, defeated hermit but I also think he's insightful enough to realize Luke's final moments in TLJ cement him as the most powerful Force-wielder in the franchise along with becoming a true, inspirational martyr.
Given Mark's thoughts on how to, uh, improve the last act of TFA to bring Luke, Han, and Leia together it's clear he still wanted Luke to be the main hero again here too.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why does Harloff care so much about not being invited? I mean, seriously why care? Just go of your own free time.

Because like so many social media 'celebrities' he's a self-centered bloviate convinced he's done something for Disney.

That video wasn't just a complaint, it was a tantrum. I literally had no idea who this guy was but after watching him throw his little hissy-fit, I'll now go out of my way to ignore him.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Given Mark's thoughts on how to, uh, improve the last act of TFA to bring Luke, Han, and Leia together it's clear he still wanted Luke to be the main hero again here too.

And you know, I get that.

Seeing Luke go full Jedi rampage mode is something I've always wanted to see on screen but I also fully embrace what Rian opted to do with the character, which was equally heroic.

But I'm sure Mark had his own expectations before discovering he was only in the last three minutes of TFA. (And doesn't speak a word of dialogue)

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure it is a little shocking to have spent your lifetime being involved with your fans and hearing about what an epic hero you are who has gone through the horrors of falling to the Dark Side and had the opportunity of finding your true love (both of which Mark pushed for, hard, with Lucas) only to find out that none of that really happened and your character's life's work (the Jedi Temple) was destroyed over night and just ended the last few years as a depressed hermit.

I personally find it extremely interesting (and so did Hamill, his performance is masterfully layered) and true to Luke's character but a lot of people disagree.

Mark Hamil kinda a diva.
This is also true lol.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Hamill is basically identical to Patrick Stewart in that they're basically both wonderful people, but should never be given creative control over their characters.

The former wanted Boba Fett to be Luke's mom, and for him to assume Vader's mantle at the end of RotJ. The latter practically ensured that the TNG films were shallow action flicks (dune buggies!)

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hamill has presented multiple competing ideas for what he wanted Luke to do in the sequels, most of which have nothing in common (epic hero, evil villain, etc), but what they all have in common is participating in the action. I think that was really Hamill's ultimate issue with the movie, Luke remaining inactive for so long.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, I agree with him somewhat, the lack of Luke content aside from the comics (which can be bad and good) and the detestable Heir to the Jedi is a little disappointing. At least The Legends of Luke Skywalker was enjoyable but it was mostly just that, legends. Seems like he did nothing lol.

Okay well, he was one of the best parts of Battlefront II, forgot about that one.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows what we get out of Luke in IX too. JJ might go all out and revive Luke for all we know Gandalf the White style.

Oct 28, 2017
England
I'm also certain Mark Hamill appreciates the parallel of Luke's generation of heroes, despite their best efforts, witnessing the resurgence of the dark side and a spiritual successor to the Empire, with how Hamill's own generation has seen (and actively participated in) the spread of anti-intellectualism and neo-fascism/nazism that has been the rise and rule of Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.