• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
And you know, I get that.

Seeing Luke go full Jedi rampage mode is something I've always wanted to see on screen but I also fully embrace what Rian opted to do with the character, which was equally heroic.

But I'm sure Mark had his own expectations before discovering he was only in the last three minutes of TFA. (And doesn't speak a word of dialogue)

To glom onto and expand on that last point, a lot of fans don't approach it from Mark's perspective. He has had a weird journey with the sequel trilogy. Lord knows what George told him back in the 70s and 80s. The sequel trilogy plans were probably constantly changing and always really vague. I wouldn't be surprised if parts were made up on the spot as Mark and George were waiting for a shot to be set up.

Then comes nothing for a long time. Then Star Wars comes back through the EU featuring "Luke Skywalker: Force God & Hit With The Ladies." Mark probably got a kick out of that. Then the prequels come around and George gives up on there ever being a sequel trilogy. So Mark is secure, knowing that his character became incredible and lived a long life with nobody having the guts to actually kill him.

Then, while meeting with George and Carrie at Celebration, George drops the bombshell: he's making the sequel trilogy. And not only is Luke in it, he's a central character in at least the first movie. And maybe, possibly, gets to hang out with Leia and Han again. Mark seemed shocked and hesitant at first, but quickly came around. And spent the next year thinking he'd be a central character in Episode VII. And by all accounts, that's what Mark thought basically until he got the shooting script. Where Luke is only in the very last scene. And doesn't even have a line. And doesn't get to hang out with Han and Leia. In fact, Han dies which means he never meets Han again. That wasn't the deal! Then when he finally gets a big part in the next movie, he's a depressed old man who fears he helped create the evil, dominant power in the galaxy. That was essentially the original plan for Episode VII, but there's a big difference between being told a summary and reading the whole script. And then acting it out.

I totally get Mark struggling with this, but a lot of fans need to realize he has different reasons for it then they do. And just because he sometimes veers close to their problems, does not mean he completely agrees with them on it.

Dan8589

Banned
May 30, 2019
To glom onto and expand on that last point, a lot of fans don't approach it from Mark's perspective. He has had a weird journey with the sequel trilogy. Lord knows what George told him back in the 70s and 80s. The sequel trilogy plans were probably constantly changing and always really vague. I wouldn't be surprised if parts were made up on the spot as Mark and George were waiting for a shot to be set up.

Then comes nothing for a long time. Then Star Wars comes back through the EU featuring "Luke Skywalker: Force God & Hit With The Ladies." Mark probably got a kick out of that. Then the prequels come around and George gives up on there ever being a sequel trilogy. So Mark is secure, knowing that his character became incredible and lived a long life with nobody having the guts to actually kill him.

Then, while meeting with George and Carrie at Celebration, George drops the bombshell: he's making the sequel trilogy. And not only is Luke in it, he's a central character in at least the first movie. And maybe, possibly, gets to hang out with Leia and Han again. Mark seemed shocked and hesitant at first, but quickly came around. And spent the next year thinking he'd be a central character in Episode VII. And by all accounts, that's what Mark thought basically until he got the shooting script. Where Luke is only in the very last scene. And doesn't even have a line. And doesn't get to hang out with Han and Leia. In fact, Han dies which means he never meets Han again. That wasn't the deal! Then when he finally gets a big part in the next movie, he's a depressed old man who fears he helped create the evil, dominant power in the galaxy. That was essentially the original plan for Episode VII, but there's a big difference between being told a summary and reading the whole script. And then acting it out.

I totally get Mark struggling with this, but a lot of fans need to realize he has different reasons for it then they do. And just because he sometimes veers close to their problems, does not mean he completely agrees with them on it.
Great post.

I always wanted to see Luke fight in the ST but his death was handled perfectly.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

Shit, i'm sure this excatly happened.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, that Rian Johnson legit got me pissed off. Now they're trying to paint RJ as a guy who mistreated someone because...he invited said person back to the new movie, gave him a gift and asked him to say "that's a wrap"!? Like these people give a shit about mistreatment, go harass yet another cast member close to suicide, you fucks. Or maybe that's the plan with RJ? Glad that the thead got locked. Shit like that goes way beyond just not liking a movie.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, that Rian Johnson legit got me pissed off. Now they're trying to paint RJ as a guy who mistreated someone because...he invited said person back to the new movie, gave him a gift and asked him to say "that's a wrap"!? Like these people give a shit about mistreatment, go harass yet another cast member close to suicide, you fucks. Or maybe that's the plan with RJ? Glad that the thead got locked. Shit like that goes way beyond just not liking a movie.
I was wondering what that thread was about and figured it was a bunch of bullshit. What a joke.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019

Yeah, that thread was infuriating. Like, sorry to Tim Rose if he felt "disrespected" but it came across like he has an incredibly inflated opinion of himself, especially since Erik Bauersfeld was the real Ackbar honestly. Sometimes SW discourse gets to a level of nonsense that really irritates me.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes I wish we did get the original sequel trilogy before George's divorce and frustrations with the industry made him scale back. It would have been refreshing for there to be another central female character, Luke's true sister Nellith, who had been training to be a Jedi Knight in that time frame. The twin twist ended up working in the context of other movies and books but it is kinda garbage on its own.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh god I just looked it up.

I'm sure anytime there's a right wing rabbit hole turned thread, the OP just made an innocent mistake. I'm totally sure

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god I just looked it up.

I'm sure anytime there's a right wing rabbit hole turned thread, the OP just made an innocent mistake. I'm totally sure
Dude has a history. It isn't some innocent mistake he tried to link to three different alt-right websites. He has a history of calling women characters on the gaming side "Mary Sues".

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I don't blame Tim Rose for feeling sad of how Ackbar went out, but feels like he is a bit dramatic here (course doesn't excuse the bullying).

I get Ackbar has a history in the EU, but the "It's a Trap!" is the most known thing about the character.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if that actor is not careful he will end up getting the David Prowse treatment from Lucasfilm.

Maybe, Harloff will have him on the next Jedi council, and they can have a moan together about Lucasfilm mistreating them!

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like a week at most. They just hide Padme's pregnancy with the costumes. The only one that looks out of place is the infamous balcony scene but that was a reshoot so they might have just bungled it.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
E25E1266-4BD4-4E32-AC51-C5FE458A9E0C.jpeg

From the 2019 Licensing Expo in Las Vegas.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like a week at most. They just hide Padme's pregnancy with the costumes. The only one that looks out of place is the infamous balcony scene but that was a reshoot so they might have just bungled it.

My hunch for for the timing of the main films:

The Phantom Menace - Around a week
Attack of the Clones - Around a week
Reveenge of the Sith - Around a week
A New Hope - 2 days
The Empire Strikes Back - A few weeks, probably near a month.
Return of the Jedi - 3-4 days
The Force Awakens - 2-3 days
The Last Jedi - 2 days (the chase was 18 hours but before they started counted the fuel reserves was at least a few hours and I assume the spent at least a half a day on Crait)

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that ESB would be absolutely ripped to shreds by the same people who hate TLJ if it were released today:

So you have to sort of completely purge your brain of any Star Wars knowledge and time travel back to 1980. 99.9% of people have only ever seen the one Star Wars movie. There were some comics and like one novel out there but otherwise that one movie was it. That was the entirety of Star Wars. It's a lightheaded space fantasy adventure about a young kid who meets a dashing rogue and a princess and a wise old man and they destroy a space station and defeat the bad guy and save the day. Hooray! It's a very simple story that resonated with millions. Back in the 70s and 80s, sequels were very formulaic. They were always very similar to the previous movie because you couldn't assume, in this era before home media, that anyone had actually seen the previous film so there couldn't be any real continuity. But when Star Wars became the biggest movie ever, they felt they could take some risks with the sequel.

So Empire comes along. It's dark. Tonally and visually speaking. The characters spend almost the entire runtime standing around talking. There's one action scene at the beginning and another short one in the asteroid field and then the lightsaber fight at the end. The characters spend the entire runtime split up from each other (sound familiar?). Luke spends most of the movie training with a weird Muppet in a dimly-lit swamp discussing complex philosophy. None of the lighthearted space fantasy is there. It's all gritty and grim. A friendly new character is introduced and he immediately betrays the heroes. Han is violently tortured and then captured and shipped away. Leia and the others barely escape. Luke spends the whole movie training for his big moment, to defeat Darth Vader. Instead, he gets his ass kicked and Vader then drops the bomb that he's actually Luke's father, something that was never previously hinted and directly contradicts information we were given in the previous movie. Luke runs away like a coward. The heroes flee, having completely failed to accomplish anything (sound familiar?). Han is still MIA and the movie ends on a cliffhanger, the plot totally unresolved.

Empire is my favorite movie ever. Today, it is recognized as the pinnacle of sequel storytelling, perfectly turning the original film's story and themes on their head and going in a completely new direction. But at the time people hated it. It was absolutely nothing like what they expected. It was nothing like the previous movie. All the fun and happiness had been sucked away and replaced with gritty realism and Force mumbo jumbo philosophy. People were pissed off.

I was born many years after this, but this is how it's always been explained to me and it makes perfect sense. And now, the exact same thing has happened with TLJ.

It's like poetry, sort of. They rhyme.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Pablo say once that there was weird Force mysteries going on at Dagobah that stretched time so Luke was there for months while everything else was only a week or two? Did I make that up? I feel like I remember him saying that once.

No, that's the official explanation but it's all just bs to cover that ESB's timeline makes no sense.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
jvssMC6HbjRPvy9liCpY03M4WPDNAWpKI36KgdWbM8M.png

Found it. But yeah, you're right, Empire is a bizarre movie for many reasons and trying to rationalize everything (but especially Leia and Han on the Falcon, Leia and Han on Bespin, Luke getting to Dagobah, Luke training on Dagobah, Luke traveling to Bespin, it's all a nightmare) will just give you a headache.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, given the WB thing as well

Do you mean to tell me that San Diego Comic Con

Will focus more on comics?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting post production info:

During the conversation, Brandon spoke about her experience on cutting part of The Rise Of Skywalker from the set of the film as they were shooting. She explained that this was necessary (though she had to convince Abrams of it) because the film finished shooting in February of this year, leaving them only nine months to cut the film (whereas they had over a year to cut The Force Awakens back in 2014-2015).

She spoke about the benefits of working this way, saying, "On this film I got to know the cast really well, I was literally part of the crew so I got to know the gaffers, and obviously I know the DP, I got to know the whole crew. It was really great for me, it was really great to see. I would be watching what they were shooting. I was cutting what they shot the day before. I had the DP right there to ask questions, he could ask me questions. If I needed a shot, or if JJ and I decided we needed another shot, we would literally set up in the corner and do some green screen shot of something. Getting to know the cast and having them be comfortable with me, it was a really great way to know what they were going for, without even having a big discussion about it."

"There was this great moment where I'm sitting there cutting and I'm in the headphones," she recalled, "and my assistant is walking towards me and she's laughing, laughing, laughing. And she says turn around, turn around. I turn around and Kylo Ren in full mask and cape is sitting on an apple box just over me. And he's like, 'Do you mind if I watch?'"

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone picked up Master and Apprentice? I'm so behind on reading but I really want to pick this up since it's by Claudia Gray

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Gosh, every piece of news just reminds me of how fast JJ had to pull this off in time for a 2019 release. I mean, if there was one director to do it, it's him.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been busting my ass discussing The Last Jedi on this forum for 18 months now. Where's my invite to Galaxy's Edge Bob?!

Status
Not open for further replies.