• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasamuu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with however they choose to proceed.

I don't mind if Snoke remains a mystery and I'm okay with them giving us some illumination.

The only problem is that they made it clear he wasn't Sith, so I'm not certain how he could be linked to Palpatine.

Aye, I feel fairly similar. I'd be happy to learn a bit more, but only if it services the story in a worthwhile manner.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aye, I feel fairly similar. I'd be happy to learn a bit more, but only if it services the story in a worthwhile manner.

Agreed.

People are so demanding of exposition that they seem to get pretty angry at any mystery that requires them to speculate or allow the ambiguity to persist.

The idea that Snoke might simply have been some manner of Force acolyte without direct ties to the Sith is - in my mind - interesting.

Maybe he's just some random space wizard who saw a power vacuum and tried to fill it?

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Did he not became a clown in the EU or something.

I think you're talking about this guy.

Nigel-Farage-in-Star-Wars.jpg

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Personal enjoyment aside, if you think ANY of the prequels are better made movies than TLJ (or any of the Disney SW movies for that matter) you don't know the first thing about filmmaking.

And that's coming from somebody who loves the prequels despite their flaws.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta love how people in the Fallen Order thread are shitting it up by complaining about the game being SP-only or claiming that EA will retroactively force some manner of loot crate bullshit after the game is released.

There were also a handful of posts shitting on SW in general.

Is it just me or has the shift from NeoGaf to Resetera made this place more like GameFaqs? The shitposting seems so much more commonplace than it used to be.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love how people in the Fallen Order thread are shitting it up by complaining about the game being SP-only or claiming that EA will retroactively force some manner of loot crate bullshit after the game is released.

There were also a handful of posts shitting on SW in general.

Is it just me or has the shift from NeoGaf to Resetera made this place more like GameFaqs? The shitposting seems so much more commonplace than it used to be.
Yeah quality of the forum and discussion has been on a downward trend.

Also seems like mods don't bother with SW threads, but that could just be me being tired of all the shitposting.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah quality of the forum and discussion has been on a downward trend.

Also seems like mods don't bother with SW threads, but that could just be me being tired of all the shitposting.

I'm thrilled this hangout exists because I'm done discussing SW with the general public here on Restera.

I don't understand the need to dedicate yourself to discussing something you clearly loathe yet we have people on these forums that spend an inordinate amount of time trolling any SW thread.

And yes, the mods have largely ignored that trend and because of this every single SW thread devolves into a TLJ bashing session.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thrilled this hangout exists because I'm done discussing SW with the general public here on Restera.

I don't understand the need to dedicate yourself to discussing something you clearly loathe yet we have people on these forums that spend an inordinate amount of time trolling any SW thread.

And yes, the mods have largely ignored that trend and because of this every single SW thread devolves into a TLJ bashing session.

While they may "loathe"it. they'll be sitting their asses down to play the game. I'm not just talking about people on this forum either. I mean in general. The people coming to bash and derail any discussion still sat down and watched the trailer. More than once I promise you. And they can't wait to talk about a movie they supposedly hate.

It's similar to the discourse around Captain Marvel from a certain group. The people yelling boycott still went and saw the movie.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Personal enjoyment aside, if you think ANY of the prequels are better made movies than TLJ (or any of the Disney SW movies for that matter) you don't know the first thing about filmmaking.

And that's coming from somebody who loves the prequels despite their flaws.

Filmmaking, like any art, isn't about strict technical abilities. Talking objectively about art is boring. Just because something is more refined doesn't mean it's better either.

Plenty of times shots are chosen not because everything is tachnically good but because 1 element is magic. That's often at the expense of another piece: an errant camera movement, slightly out of focus actor, continuity issue with shot reverse shot. Whatever is, sometimes the technically wrong choice is made to benefit the film as a whole.

So, it's silly to talk about the well-made movies when it comes down to what you as a viewer connect with. Plenty of people call Kubrick's films cold and also talk about how impeccable he is as a director. Or look at the Sergio Leone westerns that have their dubbing issues because of the way they were shot. Lips don't match dialogue, and yet the are considered amongst the greatest films of all time.

I'm not going to bring out a ruler and measure someone's film knowledge and try to take down their love of a film because we "have to" acknowledge that another movie is better made. The only person that helps is the one that needs their film cred justified.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the abbreviation for "The Rise of Skywalker"? I've seen people using TROS but on the other hand everyone uses ESB for The "Empire Strikes Back", not TESB.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is what I don't get, why waste so much energy on something you don't like.

Baffling to me.

There's a strange, almost possessive-like ownership with the SW IP that I've never really seen with any other franchise.

People have this connection to the films and various media that is so personal they seem affronted by anything that rattles their perception of what SW should be in their minds.

This was evident with the prequels but I think it's even worse with the sequels because a continuation of the OT is something already explored by the EU and people's own imaginations and once a film is made – no matter how good that film is – there will be a segment of the fandom who will insist they could have made a superior film because they believe they understand SW better than anyone else.

To make things more complicated, Rian delivered a middle film that subverted Luke's journey in a way that made certain people squeal. They wanted and expected him to be the very same person he was at the end of ROTJ and for whatever reason, they couldn't imagine a Luke weighed down by thirty years of baggage, including guilt at his own nephew becoming Vader 2.0. Rian gave Luke a nuance and complexity we've rarely seen from this franchise and something more akin to the flawed heroes in Arthurian legends but certain people didn't want nuance, they wanted Luke Skywalker, Marvel Superhero.

The other issue is that these films are critical darlings and that's driving the detractors absolutely bonkers. They have looked for any way to drag the prestige of these films down while vilifying Kathleen Kennedy and they simply have no ammunition available, outside of their own shitty fan-fiction theories on what the ST should have been.

Truthfully, I think much of the anger is impotence; the reality that their opinions of these films are both outlier and irrelevant. The ST trilogy has been a critical and commercial success which leaves the detractors nowhere to go outside of shitting up threads anytime SW is mentioned.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Posting here in case it gets lost in the celebration thread but: the page to buy the mural online 404's. The artist said it should be up all celebration. Any chance it might get put back up? Was really lookimg forward to getting one.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Filmmaking, like any art, isn't about strict technical abilities. Talking objectively about art is boring. Just because something is more refined doesn't mean it's better either.

Plenty of times shots are chosen not because everything is tachnically good but because 1 element is magic. That's often at the expense of another piece: an errant camera movement, slightly out of focus actor, continuity issue with shot reverse shot. Whatever is, sometimes the technically wrong choice is made to benefit the film as a whole.

So, it's silly to talk about the well-made movies when it comes down to what you as a viewer connect with. Plenty of people call Kubrick's films cold and also talk about how impeccable he is as a director. Or look at the Sergio Leone westerns that have their dubbing issues because of the way they were shot. Lips don't match dialogue, and yet the are considered amongst the greatest films of all time.

I'm not going to bring out a ruler and measure someone's film knowledge and try to take down their love of a film because we "have to" acknowledge that another movie is better made. The only person that helps is the one that needs their film cred justified.

Well, you do as you will but as a student and lover of film, I'm going to call out the bullshit when I see it.

Firstly, I never claimed my metrics were predicated on strict technical merit.

Actually, Lucas is a brilliant visual and technical director; absolutely top notch. But his writing is flaccid, clunky and antithetical to building any type of emotional resonance within the construct of his scripts.

I recently read the biography George Lucas: A Life and what becomes evident – even by Lucas' own admission – is that writing is something that does not come easy to him and worse, he doesn't particularly like directing actors nor does he give them the freedom to modify or ad lib, thus he essentially robs them of improvisational moments and instead forces them to deliver leaden dialogue and wooden performances, all of which adversely affected his prequels.

The dialogue and acting alone in the prequels preclude them from being superior films to the ST. There are basic tenants of filmmaking Lucas violates because of his rigidity, lack of respect for the art of thespians, and his focus on technology over narrative cohesion.

And yes, we can all hide behind the shield of subjectivity but great art is decided by consensus (usually over the course of many decades or more) and there are, generally speaking, certain basic expectations when analyzing and evaluating film or any other medium.

So, I stand firm by my statement and given how many potentially brilliant emotional moments his prequels dampen or downright ruin, I think I've got plenty of evidence to back it up.

Out of curiosity, are you claiming any of the prequels are better films than the ST?

Because I'm more than happy to have a civil debate about that. :)

(I actually really like the prequels despite my issues with the aforementioned components)

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry to get a little political, but I heard an interesting take that help recontextualize the decision to bring back Palpatine that lends a little thematic relevance to the sequel trilogy.

We know all about how Lucas at least claims the OT was influenced by the Vietnam War and Nixon. More on the nose was the Prequel Trilogy as an analogy to the Iraq War, with Palpatine mirroring Dick Cheney.

Well, extending that analogy further, the sequel trilogy is about the new generation dealing with the messes of the old. The elements are all there, the MRA school shooter villain, the resurgent authoritarian regime, the indifferent class profiting from the industrial military complex, the diverse young millennials fighting back. Rey and Finn both learn lessons about the fallacy of "both sides" and the virtues of fighting for the greater good with purpose. Who leads the authoritarian regime? A rich guy decked out in gold whose idea of leadership is berating his subordinates and exploiting their ideology to his own benefit. But is he a symptom or a cause? Cue Dick Cheney laughing maniacally.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry to get a little political, but I heard an interesting take that help recontextualize the decision to bring back Palpatine that lends a little thematic relevance to the sequel trilogy.

We know all about how Lucas at least claims the OT was influenced by the Vietnam War and Nixon. More on the nose was the Prequel Trilogy as an analogy to the Iraq War, with Palpatine mirroring Dick Cheney.

Well, extending that analogy further, the sequel trilogy is about the new generation dealing with the messes of the old. The elements are all there, the MRA school shooter villain, the resurgent authoritarian regime, the indifferent class profiting from the industrial military complex, the diverse young millennials fighting back. Rey and Finn both learn lessons about the fallacy of "both sides" and the virtues of fighting for the greater good with purpose. Who leads the authoritarian regime? A rich guy decked out in gold whose idea of leadership is berating his subordinates and exploiting their ideology to his own benefit. But is he a symptom or a cause? Cue Dick Cheney laughing maniacally.

A nice thought, but no.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
A nice thought, but no.
I mean obviously the political analogy and trying to graft that level of relevance onto these movies is more of an exercise in shooting the shit for the sake of it, and the analogy is ultimately merely illustrative, but the more basic theme of dealing with the past generation will probably be a theme by necessity.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the latest Reddit story leak does not inspire much confidence. If true, don't let your imaginations get carried away!
Unless its a Making Star Wars leak it is almost certainly false. And what you are referring to directly contradicts MSW leaks, so pay it no attention. Reddit didn't even give it more credence either, was barely upvoted.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Finally gotten around to watching the IX panel. Naomi Ackie is delightful, but Stephen's question about whether she was Lando's kid was... very lame.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Your Star Wars sequel trilogy. Say what you will about it, I'm thinking about how I would have felt about all this years ago, to me it's a god damn miracle. So happy to be a Star Wars fan right now.

C3NGG8m.jpg

If you had sent this thing back in time 10-12 years, my head would've exploded looking at this.

Makes me wonder who else they could've kept quiet.
Could be he's either in not that many scenes or whatever scenes he is in were done a closed set. Though I wonder if his being actually on set rules out a Force ghost? Not sure how that effect is done and if it requires being on set or not.

RavenGear

Oct 27, 2017
In hindsight it was pretty obvious that the new inquisitor that showed up for only one panel in the Vader comic were from this game.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Why do studios still think it's ok to release these CGI cinematic trailers?!
Why do studios think it's ok to pick generic assholes and pair them with generic writing

Also

Where is the representation? SW is diverse as fuck yet in 2019 we're forced to play as generic white guy 846458 devoid of personality.

I say this as a white guy

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Why do studios think it's ok to pick generic assholes and pair them with generic writing

I can't even have good faith discussions in that thread due to "triggered" white dudes. Dumbasses that don't understand why diversity is important especially in STAR WARS.

I will say that I disagree about the writing in the trailer. I thought it was pretty neat. But, I'm cautious because Respawn and Stig have never been great writers. TF2 has an amazing campaign, but it's not due to writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.