• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Why not? He has always considered what his images mean. Anakin's shadow casting a form of Vader is not even subtle. It was in the marketing for TPM. Anakin being shrouded in darkness is not subtle. These are very basic visual cues from Lucas. This goes back to his film school days. He plays with this imagery in all his work. Lighting and color mean a lot to Lucas. He started in still photography, not film, so composition and lighting are things he seriously considers.

I'm not sure why people downplay Lucas' visual language. Other directors don't. Listen to Dave Filoni talk about Lucas and how he works.

Here is a clip with Lucas talking about the importance of visual literacy. It also helps explain why his dialogue is the way it is, he values visuals more than spoken language when communicating ideas
People watched RLM and think Lucas is joke because of it

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the salt in that thread. Really, TLJ haters seem live in similar alternate reality as Trumpsters do, saying stuff like "Only ERA likes the film" while ignoring it was critical and commercial success. And why bother commenting they dislike it? People seem to be wasting energy and time on hating stuff, why bother?

I picked TLJ but it is really a toss-up between so many choices. The Empire Strikes Back is an excellent film, but i feel Return of the Jedi is much better at its best, and The Last Jedi feels like a appropriate finale for Luke (or maybe climax is more apt term, there's still gonna be denouement) while also having supreme highs even if it isn't quite as even as TESB, and there are arguments for ANH as well from me.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Why not? He has always considered what his images mean. Anakin's shadow casting a form of Vader is not even subtle. It was in the marketing for TPM. Anakin being shrouded in darkness is not subtle. These are very basic visual cues from Lucas. This goes back to his film school days. He plays with this imagery in all his work. Lighting and color mean a lot to Lucas. He started in still photography, not film, so composition and lighting are things he seriously considers.

I'm not sure why people downplay Lucas' visual language. Other directors don't. Listen to Dave Filoni talk about Lucas and how he works.

Here is a clip with Lucas talking about the importance of visual literacy. It also helps explain why his dialogue is the way it is, he values visuals more than spoken language when communicating ideas
There's a difference between two random shots of people in different lighting and a random shot of shadows on a wall and the very explicit way Anakin appeared to be Vader in that one promo shot. I'm not saying he doesn't have any skills as a filmmaker but dude.. some people read into the weirdest shit that is at best accidentally more than it was supposed to be.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I love the salt in that thread. Really, TLJ haters seem live in similar alternate reality as Trumpsters do, saying stuff like "Only ERA likes the film" while ignoring it was critical and commercial success. And why bother commenting they dislike it? People seem to be wasting energy and time on hating stuff, why bother?

I picked TLJ but it is really a toss-up between so many choices. The Empire Strikes Back is an excellent film, but i feel Return of the Jedi is much better at its best, and The Last Jedi feels like a appropriate finale for Luke (or maybe climax is more apt term, there's still gonna be denouement) while also having supreme highs even if it isn't quite as even as TESB, and there are arguments for ANH as well from me.
When I was a kid ROTJ was always my favorite. Since I've gotten older I've grown to appreciate how good Empire is just on its own merits, and how relatively bold it was in everything from its darker tone and bleaker ending to how oddly structured the whole thing is. Watching ROTJ as an adult also reminds me of how often I would just fast-forward through the opening Jabba/Tattooine section and get to the Endor and space battle stuff when I was younger, which is probably telling lol. At the same time, all of the throne room stuff between Luke, Vader, and Palpatine remains the high point of the entire series imo which elevates the movie in a huge way for me.

And on other days I think I might prefer TFA over ANH...

Oct 25, 2017
I went on Star Tours again recently and I had no idea they had updated it to include very recent entries. Probably old news and I'm just way behind but I was surprised.

Started off getting hassled by Kylo Ren and First Order stormtroopers.
Then we went to Jakku and flew through the SSD wreckage with the Falcon, with Finn on the comm screen.
Maz was the hologram message.
Next was Crait with Poe on the comm screen which was a super fun sequence and included crashing through crystals in a way reminiscent of the original star tours ride.
The ending landing actually took us into Blackspire/Star Wars Land which was unexpected.

Found someone on youtube who took a crappy video of their similar sequence recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETsNNThQaN4

Last edited:

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Btw names for characters never said on film or in any on screen media becoming commonly known (like Sheev) has always intriuged me.

We never hear the word Ewok or any of the Ewok names on film. We never heard the name Palpatine on screen in the original trilogy.

Fun fact, the name "Palpatine" is mentioned on page 1 of the novelization of the original Star Wars. And that book was released in November 1976. I'm at work so I can't verify this at the moment, but I believe it was the very first name referenced. So "Senator Palpatine" was the first Star Wars character some people had ever heard of, but the name "Palpatine" wouldn't be said on screen for 22 years.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact, the name "Palpatine" is mentioned on page 1 of the novelization of the original Star Wars. And that book was released in November 1976. I'm at work so I can't verify this at the moment, but I believe it was the very first name referenced. So "Senator Palpatine" was the first Star Wars character some people had ever heard of, but the name "Palpatine" wouldn't be said on screen for 22 years.
This is correct!

Vader being called a "Sith" was filmed for ANH but that part of the scene ended up cutt and we didn't hear the term on screen till 1999.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I recall correctly Palpatine was also not the first emperor of the Galactic Empire in the novelization of the original Star Wars. He was in fact just the current emperor, following a long line of other emperors, and it is implied that he's just a figurehead instead of the evil mastermind of TESB and ROTJ.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I recall correctly Palpatine was also not the first emperor of the Galactic Empire in the novelization of the original Star Wars. He was in fact just the current emperor, following a long line of other emperors, and it is implied that he's just a figurehead instead of the evil mastermind of TESB and ROTJ.
I don't recall there being more emperors but he was a weak emperor, controlled by bureaucrats and trade federations and the like.
TPM is amusing inversion in a sense, with the Trade Federation being controlled by Palps...

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found it:

sblnxEL.png

Oct 28, 2017
Liking TFA over ANH is just something I'll never understand.

Yea, the Death Star run in ANH is reason enough for TFA to never, ever compare. TFA's entire last act from when they're planning their SK Base attack to Poe's final run through the Death Star-esque trench is tensionless and kinda embarassing. Like, when I saw Poe fly down the trench past the Troopers manning the big Death Star guns I couldn't fucking believe my eyes. I really didn't like TFA at all after my first viewing.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, the Death Star run in ANH is reason enough for TFA to never, ever compare. TFA's entire last act from when they're planning their SK Base attack to Poe's final run through the Death Star-esque trench is tensionless and kinda embarassing.
But the whole sequence of events of Rey getting the lightsaber with the Force theme, the fight against Kylo Ren, and discovering Luke Skywalker on the island is among some of the highest highs of the saga.

Oct 28, 2017
But the whole sequence of events of Rey getting the lightsaber with the Force theme, the fight against Kylo Ren, and discovering Luke Skywalker on the island is among some of the highest highs of the saga.
I've come to appreciate those scenes more with more viewings but first time I saw it I just didn't feel any drama or tension. Even Han's death was just a shrug to me... it was so telegraphed.. and that's because TFA's story beats are all things we've seen before, but done better by the movie its aping. The reason why I had a great experience with my first time seeing TLJ was that none of it was predictable. It felt fresh and exciting, I couldn't anticipate what would happen next and I hadn't felt that way watching a Star Wars movie in a long time.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TFA certainly has good points. Han-Kylo confrontation, the forest battle are superb.
It is pretty good film, very even. But i feel it doesn't have enough highs to really compare to its OT predecessors.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
First Order are looking to resurrect Palpatine through whatever means (some kind of relic/artifact hunt) and replace Kylo (I'm on board with some kind of civil war/rebellion against Ren - this will ultimately lead to Kylo's redemption), Rey and resistance will try and beat them to it/stop them. That's my basic plot guesstimates at the mo

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I can't see TFA as better than ANH. Everything just clicks in ANH, from the first scene to the last, and imo, it's a much better standalone movie than TFA.

Also, TFA was pretty much a remakeof ANH.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
TFA isn't bold enough to open with something like R2 and cp30. ANH is the more orginal and stranger film and better for it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
TFA is as much a remake of ANH as ANH is a remake of The Hidden Fortress.

There were two moments during that first TFA screening where it really hit me that, after years and years of "rumors," I was finally about to see Episode VII. The first was during the opening crawl and you see EPISODE VII come up from the bottom of the screen. The second was when the lightsaber flies out of the snow and the camera cuts to show it land in Rey's hand, where she embraces her destiny and flicks on the blade. That scene, from how it's shot to the music to just the looks on Ridley's face, is absolute magic imo. And then the duel that follows is prob the second best lightsaber duel in the series.

TFA isn't bold enough to open with something like R2 and cp30. ANH is the more orginal and stranger film and better for it.
Sure ANH is the better film but doesn't necessarily mean I like it more than TFA... though I usually do anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
And then the duel that follows is prob the second best lightsaber duel in the series.
What? How? Rey is running away most of the fight until she remembers Maz's words about the Force (which she knows very little about) and cuts Ren down. It's got nothing on ESB or ROTJ... it would be like Luke fighting Darth Vader in ANH instead of waiting to face him after his training with Yoda. It's got nothing on the two Luke/Vader fights.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
What? How? Rey is running away most of the fight until she remembers Maz's words about the Force (which she knows very little about) and cuts Ren down. It's got nothing on ESB or ROTJ... it would be like Luke fighting Darth Vader in ANH instead of waiting to face him after his training with Yoda. It's got nothing on the two Luke/Vader fights.
Luke is running from Vader a lot in that first fight (actually the second too), and there's this awkward-looking section where Vader is chucking boxes and shit at him that has never really looked right to me. I'm not putting it down, I just think the Kylo/Rey duel is better looking, better shot, and better choreographed.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Luke is running from Vader a lot in that first fight (actually the second too), and there's this awkward-looking section where Vader is chucking boxes and shit at him that has never really looked right to me. I'm not putting it down, I just think the Kylo/Rey duel is better looking, better shot, and better choreographed.

You like that fight better than Luke v Vader in ESB?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

The audio for this one sounds a billion times better than the previous ones. I wonder if they cleaned up the audio or if the recording for Jedi is just MUCH better than a New Hope's and Empire's/

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
TlJ is garbage and ruined starwars for me. Solo was almost as bad. I don't think I'll ever get back that sense of wonder I had everytime a starwars film would come along...the prequels didn't do it...the force awakens didn't do it, even found a way to enjoy the rogue one movie...TLJ was the last time I felt like I needed to see a starwars film in theaters and subsequently passed on solo until it made its way to Netflix. Don't feel that excitement anymore watching this trailer for the upcoming movie.

Last edited:

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
TlJ is garbage and ruined starwars for me. Solo was almost as bad. I don't think I'll ever get back that sense of wonder I had everytime a starwars film would come along...the prequels didn't do it...the force awakens didn't do it, even found a way to enjoy the rogue one movie...TLJ was the last time I felt like I needed to see a starwars film in theaters and subsequently passed on solo until it made its way to Netflix. Don't feel that excitement anymore watching this trailer for the upcoming movie.

Do you watch any of the TV shows? The Clone Wars is getting it's final season and audiences reacted pretty strongly when the trailer was shown:

Honestly, I'm more excited for this than Episode IX myself.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Continuing on TFA love train, that final Luke shot wit the music swell and the helicopter shot got me emotional in theaters and in every subsequent viewing and I was never sure why. It was the one nostalgia nod that JJ put in that really got me.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars is in the most exciting place it has ever been. TRoS looks fantastic. As does The Mandalorian. And we are getting a 7th season of the incredible The Clone Wars.

It is the most fun time in the past 40 years to be a Star Wars fan.

May I ask why you came to the community thread about Star Wars where Star Wars fans talk excitedly about Star Wars...to tell us how much you hate Star Wars?

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I've never understood how like a franchise can be "ruined" by an entry you don't like. It's just not something that makes sense to me.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood how like a franchise can be "ruined" by an entry you don't like. It's just not something that makes sense to me.
It doesn't make sense. It isn't a normal reaction to a film. It's something people say just to troll and get attention.

Star Trek V was unwatchably bad. Don't see me giving up on Star Trek because of it.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Star Wars is in the most exciting place it has ever been. TRoS looks fantastic. As does The Mandalorian. And we are getting a 7th season of the incredible The Clone Wars.

It is the most fun time in the past 40 years to be a Star Wars fan.

May I ask why you came to the community thread about Star Wars where Star Wars fans talk excitedly about Star Wars...to tell us how much you hate Star Wars?

My apologies, I had originally quoted someone defending TLJ and undermining somebody who had critized but I'm noticing now I must not have inserted the quote and I can't be bothered to go back and find it ATM on mobile.

Do you watch any of the TV shows? The Clone Wars is getting it's final season and audiences reacted pretty strongly when the trailer was shown:

Honestly, I'm more excited for this than Episode IX myself.

I love the extended universe, I even enjoyed star wars rebels but those suggesting that TLJ was an overall success and did no longer term damage to the franchise as a whole are kiding themselves which I find is evidenced by myself who has seen every starwars movie I've been alive for in theatres except solo which was the result of my reaction to episode 8. I still plan on eventually seeing episode 9 but I can't imagine I'll be perordering ticket or even prioritizing it as I have in the past. I am however extremely looking forward to fallen order.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My apologies, I had originally quoted someone defending TLJ and undermining somebody who had critized but I'm noticing now I must not have inserted the quote and I can't be bothered to go back and find it ATM on mobile.

I love the extended universe, I even enjoyed star wars rebels but those suggesting that TLJ was an overall success and did no longer term damage to the franchise as a whole are kiding themselves which I find is evidenced by myself who has seen every starwars movie I've been alive for in theatres except solo which was the result of my reaction to episode 8. I still plan on eventually seeing episode 9 but I can't imagine I'll be perordering ticket or even prioritizing it as I have in the past. I am however extremely looking forward to fallen order.
If you are evidence then why is this thread full of thousands of posts from people excited about Star Wars and hyped for Episode IX...?

Or hell just look at the fans at Celebration this weekend.

If you don't like Star Wars why post in this thread. Not sure what you are trying to do here. It's the Star Wars community thread.

The Last Jedi was a well liked very popular movie. Just because you didn't like it doesn't change the fact. Star Wars fandom has grown and been just fine since TLJ.

The Star Wars fanbase embraced it. Did you see the standing ovation Kellie Marie Tran got at Celebration?

Star Wars Celebration proved the actual fanbase is a warm embracing positive fanbase.

Oct 28, 2017
myself who has seen every starwars movie I've been alive for in theatres except solo which was the result of my reaction to episode 8.
But why? Solo has nothing to do with TLJ. It was conceived, written, produced and directed by other people, featuring a wholly different cast about an entirely different story. Why would The Last Jedi not being a good movie stop you from seeing ... another movie in the Star Wars universe about something completely different? It literally makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.