• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Solo a lot more when i watched it again later. When i saw it in theater, it was... OK at best. I don't get Star Wars fatigue, i don't consume SW media so excessively, but another film within six months was a bit too early, especially since TLJ is much better film overall.
But Solo ain't bad, not at all.

Oct 28, 2017
Solo failed because not enough people were interested in the premise. The fact that the converted liked it doesn't mean a thing. It simply did not have mass appeal. Maybe it would have faired better in a different release slot but pinning its failure on TLJ - at least even partially - reeks of agenda and confirmation bias.

The Force Awakens did over 2 billion and is by far the highest grossing film in domestic box office history (like its not even close), Rogue One grossed over 1 billion and outpaced expectations, The Last Jedi did 1.3 billion and sold very well on home media formats, and then Solo tanked. Are you telling me that because one of the three movies mentioned was "divisive" that it had that much of an impact on Solo's performance? That is very hard to believe, especially when Solo takes place much earlier in the timeline and its plot is unaffected by the events of TLJ.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Solo failed because not enough people were interested in the premise. The fact that the converted liked it doesn't mean a thing. It simply did not have mass appeal. Maybe it would have faired better in a different release slot but pinning its failure on TLJ - at least even partially - reeks of agenda and confirmation bias.
Right, I forgot nobody asked for a Solo prequel.

Also, I loved TLJ and still do.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Solo needed Harrison ford to get most people interested. People like Han Solo because harrison ford plays him

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me, i like Alden Ehrenreich as young Han. Think he nailed the role in the end. I don't think Ford is a necessity for Han's role, but i do think that people weren't terribly interested in the origin story at all. I wasn't, though i like the end result.

Oct 28, 2017
I liked Solo a lot more when i watched it again later. When i saw it in theater, it was... OK at best. I don't get Star Wars fatigue, i don't consume SW media so excessively, but another film within six months was a bit too early, especially since TLJ is much better film overall.
But Solo ain't bad, not at all.

I have warmed to it. I think its second half is much better than the first, but it should have been a lot better.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solo might be the most problem-plagued blockbuster in years:

1. An absolutely terrible release date, coming just a month after Infinity War, a movie so gargantuan it was still sucking all the oxygen out of the room by the end of May. Moviegoers don't usually go to see multiple films in a month's time and Infinity War obviously and immediately won the hype battle among general audiences without difficulty
2. It released less than six months after TLJ. Audiences might not be interested in so much Star Wars in such a brief period of time
3. It has a boring and uninteresting premise that was attracting criticism as far back as 2015 when it was first announced
4. Recasting one of the most iconic characters in film history, a character forever associated with Harrison Ford, with an unproven actor who many felt did not physically resemble Ford or his voice and mannerisms
5. The massive behind-the-scenes issues including an unprecedented director firing and reshooting just weeks before the end of filming, creating nearly a year's worth of highly negative buzz around the film among enthusiasts and the general press
6. Mixed, very lukewarm reviews

If even one or two of these things had happened differently (no Lord and Miller firing, different actor, different release date, etc) the movie would have likely grossed at least $200 million more, likely even higher than that. It's just a perfect storm of terrible decisions.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ironically, Solo was the better Star Wars spinoff movie compared to Rogue One.

giphy.gif

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
My older brother recently told me that he'd prefer to watch the Ewok movies than Solo. My brothers both don't like it much. They also think the Solo name origin is the worst moment in a Star Wars movie. It's the only Star Wars movie they don't like.

I thought the movie was fine. I'd watch it again eventually. It's definitely my least favorite of the movies, though.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If you think Starwars is in as good a spot as it was prior to the TLJ's release your delusional. Solo tanking at the box office is representative of the fact that the franchise as a whole is in a bad place. If a Han Solo stand alone film came out (or anything star wars related for that matter) 10 years ago i would argue it would have done significantly better. It releasing after TLJ directly contributed to its failure IMO. Im not saying i hate the starwars universe, i just hate the direction starwars is going (or should i say lack of direction). I'm not sure why i shouldn't post my concerns related to "star wars" in a thread that is directly related to discussing the topic of "star wars" as a whole. Unless this thread is just meant to be a circle jerk for those who want to ignore any criticism the movies and franchise are receiving.

The failure of TLJ is that it actively made me care less about the whole star wars universe. I don't think im the only one either if one considers the box office numbers of Rogue one vs Solo (1 Bill off a 2.6 mill budget vs 3.9 mill off a 2.8ish mill budget.).
People keep incorrectly conflating TLJ's impact and Solo's performance. TLJ made 1.3B, which is a top 11 grossing movie of all time.

Solo flopped because it was a lukewarm idea that was poorly advertised and released six months too soon, out of season.

SW is in an excellent spot. The films have all received high marks and have generated billions in revenue.

One bomb doesn't change that. You're delusional if you think TLJ somehow put the franchise in a bad spot or caused solo to tank.

For the record, people here criticize the films and other content all the time, myself included.

But what you're saying is just a nonsense and tired talking point that doesn't align with reality.

Last edited:

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Honestly, with how quickly the script was written before production, I could see a lot of it being changed on the fly during production.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I like Solo a lot because no one (at least in my circle of friends) talks about it. I can bring it up, mention what I like, and it can remain a civil conversation. People don't seem to feel passionately one way or the other. I don't think the movie is the greatest thing ever and it's probably held back by the fact that it's Star Wars. If you just look at it as a fun space adventure, it works really well.

Also, I love the last Jedi but, man, even bringing it up in real life can be a trap. I brought up the ROS trailer at a party last weekend and the person I was talking to basically said "TLJ had a good trailer, too, and look how that turned out" and then followed it with "hopefully Kathleen Kennedy is gone soon". I felt like I had wandered into a real life EtcetEra Star Wars thread. It immediately turned me off to the whole conversation.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just for some math facts: if you want to look at a scenario where TLJ is actually so repulsive that audiences completely and utterly reject it, we can actually sort of map this out hypothetically. TLJ grossed $620 million domestically, and grossed $220 million in its opening weekend. That means it made 35% of its domestic gross in the opening weekend, a common number for major studio blockbusters. Some points of comparison: Infinity War grossed 37% of its domestic total in its opening weekend; Rogue One 29%; and Captain Marvel 38% (to date). There are always some outliers, like TFA, which made 26% of its total in the opening weekend because it was a once-in-a-lifetime event, the return of Star Wars, and a real crowdpleaser. Rogue One was also a generally uncontroversial crowdpleasing movie that played well to all four corners. Notably, both TFA and Rogue One had essentially no quality competition during the critical holiday moviegoing months, whereas TLJ had to put up with a surprisingly hearty competitor in Jumanji, which was a fun crowdpleasing four-quadrant blockbuster aimed at younger audience that got strong reviews and word of mouth, damaging some of TLJ's numbers.

Do we want to look at what would have happened if TLJ actually alienated massive numbers of moviegoers? We have a case study for that. In March 2016, Batman v Superman was released. The film was massively anticipated, starring two of the biggest characters in the world. The film had essentially no competition, as rival studios feared the power of this huge blockbuster team-up. It got off to a strong start, with a $166 million opening weekend. And then it completely collapsed. Batman v Superman grossed 50% of its domestic total in its opening weekend, one of the worst numbers ever for a major blockbuster. This indicates absolutely horrible word of mouth, that the film had no legs, and that it alienated mass numbers of the audience to the point of severe financial damage.

An alternate universe where TLJ is a steaming pile of shit that alienates the entire audience and grosses half its entire total in the first 72 hours would put TLJ's final total at $440 million domestic. Assuming a similar domestic/foreign split as the real TLJ, an alternate universe shitty TLJ grosses roughly $950 million worldwide, less than half what TFA grossed and a clear disappointment for the franchise.

But hey, all these complicated facts and figures don't rack in the Youtube numbers, so we continue to live in the alternate universe where TLJ killed Star Wars and Captain Marvel was a flop.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all expecting a big ass Rogue One/Jedi style space battle in ROS? I thought for sure we would but then all of this talk of this being an adventure type film with Finn, Poe and Rey kinda makes me feel like we won't get that and instead the final will be a Throne room scene style setpiece.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all expecting a big ass Rogue One/Jedi style space battle in ROS? I thought for sure we would but then all of this talk of this being an adventure type film with Finn, Poe and Rey kinda makes me feel like we won't get that and instead the final will be a Throne room scene style setpiece.
Okay

Okay

What about

The Second Battle of Jakku?

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017

It was brief but in the teaser we see an A-Wing flying in what appears to be a space battle involving some Star Destroyers.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, only Einchy will get this, but what if Ben and Rey Force push each other so goddamned hard, they send themselves back in time through all the previous movies and eventually the beginning and the end of the universe?

And then Ben gets killed by Jedi ghosts.

I'd buy a ticket to that.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping ROS is not a story beat for story beat of ROTJ but seeing how TLJ wasn't empire I think it'll be fine

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Please, GOD. I actually hope we don't get some stupid, big ass space battle. Give me something smaller and character focused.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay okay okay what about

Rey and Ben have a CQC fistfight on top of a Star Destroyer

And Ben is shirtless but with a mustache

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
What if Rey is really a clone of the Emperor, and Luke figured it out and faked his death.

What if the reason Han and Leia's relationship ended was because she found out the real reason why Han always referred to C3P0 as "goldenrod"...

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017

The Episode IX portion of the Celebration mural had a fleet of X-Wings on it.

E3T2l9G.jpg

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say big space battle is likely.

Let's see... the mural has X-wings, a poster has X-, A- and Y-wings, along with at least standard TIEs and new "TIE-rangles", the trailer shows a new type of TIE and has a quick scene of an A-wing getting shot with a Star Destroyer in the background along with TIEs, plus this is the finale and space battles are part of Star Wars.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We already know there will be some sort of ship battle in TROS judging by that shot in the trailer of a burning A-Wing flying by what, bizarrely, looks like an ISD painted in Galactic Republic colors.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a given there will be a space battle in ROS but I mean, like, a massive one like in Rogue One and Jedi. For example, TLJ had a space battle, and a pretty meaty one, but I wouldn't say it was going for something like in Rogue One or Jedi. *

Status
Not open for further replies.