• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I hadn't considered the option of Rey returning to the New Jedi temple ruins and retrieving Luke's old lightsaber (the last place we know it was). It makes more sense for her to make her own (new toys!) but her visiting the ruins could be cool.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't considered the option of Rey returning to the New Jedi temple ruins and retrieving Luke's old lightsaber (the last place we know it was). It makes more sense for her to make her own (new toys!) but her visiting the ruins could be cool.
believe me I am ALL FOR new toys, especially when it comes to lightsabers, but for some reason, I'm not feeling the yellow saberstaff thing. But whatever, I'm not gonna hate that or be mad if it happens, because it would indeed look cool, just not my preferred option.

An altered blue saber with sort of a cobbled together feeling in the middle would probably sell very well, but I bet that Yellow saberstaff would knock it out of the park sales wise.

Part of me kinda wants/expects Rey to return to Ach-to for some kind of closure maybe, maybe she wants to find his green saber or maybe she goes there expecting Kylo to go looking there and she wants to confront him within the temple? But it probably is not necessary to return to the island and might feel like too much going backwards, but hey Luke revisited Yoda on Dagobah and everyone wants to assume JJ will copy from ROTJ soo...

bringing back the Luke green saber and allowing Rey to sort of redeem it would be pretty great, especially because her actions with it will play a role in Ben turning from darkness and the saber that pushed him over the edge will help him cling back to the good.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zuvio going to show up during the opening sequence like
200.gif

"Remember me?"

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still wonder if we're really going back to Jakku.
I kinda don't want that? Feels like that would put us too far into the 'he's just copying from ROTJ' line of discussion? But yeah it's probably happening, and yeah I will be fine with that, especially if we get a joke associated with Finn, either him directly saying something like "seriously guys? here again?" or Poe looking at Finn and giving him "Buddy, I've got some news you aren't gonna like"

plus there's all that stuff from the Aftermath books and Palpatine's contingency to mine from lorewise, maybe there's a really good and interesting reason to return there.

oh I guess a reason to return is for Rey to explore something concerning her parents ... so uh.. man i just don't want to see Unkarr plutt again. Give us a glimpse of zuvio tho.

Oct 27, 2017
Well I think people say yellow just because it's different and seen as more of a "balanced" color between red and blue/green. Idk. But saberstaff is obvious, she already has a regular staff.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
and for that reason I dislike the concept. yellow is fine as a lightsaber color, it would be cool visually... but if it were to actually be representing a claimed balance between lightside users traditional blue/green and darkside users red, nah.

they really gonna have to work to clarify that Rey the new good force user and whatever order she formulates is different from the eu style Grey Jedi. man we already have the grey jedi --- the Jedi Council of the prequel era.
Rey's going to resolve the grey with refined Jedi sight bring me my journal of the whills.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought assigning meaning to lightsaber colours was kind of pointless, they really don't need the lore that's been built around them.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Queen's Shadow worth reading? Amazing reviews are pretty rough.
sphagnum liked it!
Finished Queen's Shadow. Overall a pretty good book, though I think the ending was somewhat underwhelming. The epilogue was interesting and clearly meant to set up a sequel about Sabe but I can't imagine Lucasfilm greenlighting that.

Guess I'll put this in spoilers to be safe.

SPOILER

Not the best YA Star Wars novel (still Lost Stars), but a very enjoyable read. B+.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Was watching a bit of the '03 Clone Wars over the weekend. I remember really digging it way back when, but something about it seems off now. Obi-Wan feels like way more of a dick than he ever is in the movies. Also, as cool as I found the amped up Jedi combat the first time, now it feels sorta of Devil May Cry-ish and a little too OTT.

I know most people are high on the newer Clone Wars show but wondering if anyone else has looked back at the first one at all recently, and how well you guys think it has aged.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I had no clue that Queen's Shadow was YA until sphagnum mentioned it was. And I was about halfway through the book myself, at that point.

Having finished it, I'd say that it is a nice, light read. No galaxy-shaking revelations here, just some much-needed character work for Padme. I also thought the book's exploration of the handmaidens and their dynamic was perhaps its most engrossing element.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Was watching a bit of the '03 Clone Wars over the weekend. I remember really digging it way back when, but something about it seems off now. Obi-Wan feels like way more of a dick than he ever is in the movies. Also, as cool as I found the amped up Jedi combat the first time, now it feels sorta of Devil May Cry-ish and a little too OTT.

I know most people are high on the newer Clone Wars show but wondering if anyone else has looked back at the first one at all recently, and how well you guys think it has aged.
I think it aged pretty well.

Still the best on screen portrayal of general grievous imo.

EDIT: stealth shaggy cameo at 2:10

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no clue that Queen's Shadow was YA until sphagnum mentioned it was. And I was about halfway through the book myself, at that point.

Having finished it, I'd say that it is a nice, light read. No galaxy-shaking revelations here, just some much-needed character work for Padme. I also thought the book's exploration of the handmaidens and their dynamic was perhaps its most engrossing element.

YA has less to do with the style of writing and more to do with the age of characters and the target audience (and sometimes the length of the book). Lost Stars, LPOA, Rebel Rising, Ahsoka, and Queen's Shadow are all YA Star Wars books. Not coincidentally, they all also focus on teenage girls or young women.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
latest

Look, my biggest complaint about the new movies is how everything looks exactly like 40 years ago in the navy of both armies, and I think, with a few fixes this would make a dope new ship for the First Order. Maybe put the engine somewhere else and arange the wings slightly different, but hey, why use new stuff when you just can throw exactly the same looking ship at the people.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
latest

Look, my biggest complaint about the new movies is how everything looks exactly like 40 years ago in the navy of both armies, and I think, with a few fixes this would make a dope new ship for the First Order. Maybe put the engine somewhere else and arange the wings slightly different, but hey, why use new stuff when you just can throw exactly the same looking ship at the people.
this design seems to be a bit much for me actually. I was gonna say I really dig the U wing design but that's based in the OT timeline. Hmm, in regards to the sequel trilogy, I guess the ships I really like are the big ones like Snoke's ship or the redesigned star destroyers. I'll say that yeah, it's hard to point one out, like a fighter, for the Sequel trilogy cause they're basically just xwings and tie fighters.
Still, wouldn't mind still having that OT aesthetic when it comes to ship designs. Just make some new ones.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought assigning meaning to lightsaber colours was kind of pointless, they really don't need the lore that's been built around them.
I'm really into the concept of the sith having to acquire their sabers through killing a jedi taking their saber and corrupting it with the dark side until it's red, and then the whole ahsoka angle where she purged a dark side saber and it became white.

that being said, I'm with you and yeah I could totally do without any of that and live with no explanations of it at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Rey has always seemed like an orange-ish yellow saber character to me
but maybe that was just because she initially reminded me of Bastila

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I 1000% agree. The whole thing with bleeding crystals and stuff just feels so superfluous or dumb like the Death Star's evil crystal core or whatever. Just let us intuit that bad guy's just use red because that's how symbols work.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If kyber crystals are connected to the Force then it makes sense that imbuing them with the dark side would change their nature. I have no problem with the bleeding crystals thing as it pertains to red lightsabers.

The rest of the colors having meaning is dumb and as far as I know is no longer a thing in the current canon.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand the ask for a yellow saberstaff.... feels like this is a very common thing people want. Am I missing something, is this a thing from KOTOR?
Staff that is pretty unique to Rey plus a color that is less common but not "exclusive" to someone(Mace's purple)
Also as i mentioned, initially Rey reminded me of Bastila from KOTOR a decent bit.
latest

latest

personally it would just be a lot more interesting than another blue or green one.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
The Death Star is also not powered by the dark side.
I mean, not for lack of trying. In Catalyst they talk about infusing the Death Star's crystals with Dark energy. I just think they didn't have it nailed down until the First Order, right? But the concept is still there.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, not for lack of trying. In Catalyst they talk about infusing the Death Star's crystals with Dark energy. I just think they didn't have it nailed down until the First Order, right? But the concept is still there.

Dark energy and the dark side aren't the same thing. Dark energy is a real life concept that has no Force affiliation and it's what powers Starkiller Base.

Speaking of which, Starkiller Base is Ilum, right? Like that was heavily implied in some expanded universe stuff and I think Pablo said the answer to this mystery would be coming "soon" like two or three years ago and since then there's been no answer. But it's definitely Ilum.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
Having never dropped my VIII take, Ima drop my VIII take. It was a solid good movie, I had minor problems with some of the narrative structure, but overall I thought it was a great entry into Star Wars as a numbered sequel

• Canto Blight I think was a really goof sequence, the chase scene dragged for a little bit but overall I thought it was great.
  • Phasma (and Gwendoline) continue to be completely under utilized. I was so excited to hear that not only was there going to be better representation in Star Wars for the heroes, but I thought also for the villains, and Phasma has the look and drive of a great villain. I really hope she comes back in IX
  • Leia's space float, I'll admit, was a little contrived. Why not use the force to close the bulkhead, or to force pull a cable to hold onto during decompression
  • I appreciate the hyperspace crash scene, I would have loved to see just a more traditional last stand ram. Seeing the ship turn and make full burn on the FO fleet, who are too close in a tight formation. They all fire at the Raddus, which is firing all of it's batteries, would make for a cool visual watching the hull get melted off as it rams the big FO ship, and all the chunks of flaming debris from the impact hit all the surrounding ships, wrecking them too. Still a cool scene
  • Keep everything else.
I agree (As someone who owns tons of EU material) about the twitter posting about the EU expectations. I think VIII will age well, when over the next several years we start getting comics/books about what happened between six and seven, and we see the slide Luke made from an up and coming Jedi to where he ends up in eight. Once the Sequels get their own large and established universe, more people will come around to them like how the prequels are going through their own renaissance.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good episode of Resistance this week, I'm glad that it finally
got to TFA's events. Season 2 will most likely take place post-TLJ which will be pretty cool, I'd think.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Legend of Zelda: Stinky to the Past
Legend of Zelda: Twi'lek Princess
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Minutes (get it?)

okay, that last one was bad. i'll see myself out

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If kyber crystals are connected to the Force then it makes sense that imbuing them with the dark side would change their nature. I have no problem with the bleeding crystals thing as it pertains to red lightsabers.

The rest of the colors having meaning is dumb and as far as I know is no longer a thing in the current canon.

Blue, green, and purple don't have any particular meaning. Yellow is reserved for the temple guards, and Ahsoka's lightsabers are white to signify that she purified them from the Inquisitor's corruption and also isn't a Jedi.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
What's the chance we see Rey on Resistance next week? 45%? 25%? I'd lose my shit if we see her at the Resistance base right before she leaves to see Luke.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Hux the real MVP.

Lol also loved that part where Ren was like "concentrate all fire on the speeders"
"CONCENTRATE ALL FIRE ON THE SPEEDERS!"
kylo ren side eye

Status
Not open for further replies.